WHERE DOES THE WORD HELL COME FROM?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
there is further evidence in the account it is not a literal story. Notice this part:

The rich man looking up to heaven speaks to God and asks for a drop of water, then says: "I am in anguish in this blazing fire.’ 25 But Abraham said, ‘Child, remember that you received in full your good things in your lifetime, but Laz′a‧rus correspondingly the injurious things. Now, however, he is having comfort here but you are in anguish. 26 And besides all these things, a great chasm has been fixed between us and YOU people, so that those wanting to go over from here to YOU people cannot, neither may people cross over from there to us.
Notice the part I bolded.... Jesus is now speaking about a 'group' of people....not just the one rich man who the story is about. The group of people were those who rejected the messiah, the religious leaders who viewed the poor with contempt. Those who were spiritually poor accepted Jesus and they benefited, but the rich ones rejected him so they lost the favored position they once had.

I just realised i put 'abraham' in brackets when it is supposed to be the 'rich man'... so i'll edit that now

You're misrepresenting the actual Scripture anyway, for it does not read like how you have rendered it;

Here's the KJV of that Scripture...

Luke 16:22-26
22 And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;
23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.
25 But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented.
26 And beside all this, between us and you (Greek humon) there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence.
(KJV)

It was not God which the rich man raised up and saw, nor is that word 'people' in the Greek. It's hamon only, which means 'you'.

The usage of "they" simply means there's others there in the situation the rich man was in.

In a parable, the objects used are literal objects. Christ would not mislead us by using false objects, even when giving a parable.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
Ducky
lol-061.gif
Hilarious, thanks for the good laugh Insight. :lol:

Insight

Aug 7, 2011
You're misrepresenting the actual Scripture anyway, for it does not read like how you have rendered it;

Here's the KJV of that Scripture...

Luke 16:22-26
22 And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;
23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.
25 But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented.
26 And beside all this, between us and you (Greek humon) there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence.
(KJV)

It was not God which the rich man raised up and saw, nor is that word 'people' in the Greek. It's hamon only, which means 'you'.

The usage of "they" simply means there's others there in the situation the rich man was in.

In a parable, the objects used are literal objects. Christ would not mislead us by using false objects, even when giving a parable.

Veteran do you believe that the literal heaven is a place where conversations can be carried on between those enjoying bliss and those agonizing in hell?

Oh and how can Lazarus go literally to Abraham's bosom? Abraham (right now as I type) is unquestionably dead and without his reward. (Heb 11:8, 13, 39, 40).

Did you know that only 11 of the 26 parables recorded in Luke's gospel are actually named parables?

brionne

May 31, 2010
Australia
Yes thats another point I hadnt thought of.... why is God being called Abraham in the story? More evidence of its symbolism.

Insight

Aug 7, 2011
Yes thats another point I hadnt thought of.... why is God being called Abraham in the story? More evidence of its symbolism.

Another good point Pegg

"If" you Pegg were being tormented in great swirling flames of fire, as the rich man was, would you request only a "drop of water" to quench your agony? Why not a big jug, wouldnt this be more logical?

I dont believe they have thought this through at all.

Insight

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
Veteran do you believe that the literal heaven is a place where conversations can be carried on between those enjoying bliss and those agonizing in hell?

Oh and how can Lazarus go literally to Abraham's bosom? Abraham (right now as I type) is unquestionably dead and without his reward. (Heb 11:8, 13, 39, 40).

Did you know that only 11 of the 26 parables recorded in Luke's gospel are actually named parables?

I recognize Jesus as giving a parable with that Luke 16 example, which the purpose is to show what happens after death of our flesh body. All Scripture where He spoke of such things align perfectly with each other, including His warning to not fear those who can kill our flesh body, but not our soul, but fear Him Who can destroy body and soul in the lake of fire. It also aligns perfectly with what Apostle Paul taught about flesh death in 2 Cor.5, to be absent from the body, is to be present with The Lord.

Another good point Pegg

"If" you Pegg were being tormented in great swirling flames of fire, as the rich man was, would you request only a "drop of water" to quench your agony? Why not a big jug, wouldnt this be more logical?

I dont believe they have thought this through at all.

Insight

In the Greek, the word basanos is used for torment, and that Greek word is pointing to the idea of a 'touchstone'. A touchstone was used to measure the amount of gold content in a piece of raw ore. It symbolizes for the rich man that his spiritual gold did not measure up. Christ did tell one of the Churches in Asia to buy of Him gold tried in the fire.

Buzzfruit

Aug 21, 2011
Bronx, New York, U.S.A
there is further evidence in the account it is not a literal story. Notice this part:

The rich man looking up to heaven speaks to God and asks for a drop of water, then says: "I am in anguish in this blazing fire.’ 25 But Abraham said, ‘Child, remember that you received in full your good things in your lifetime, but Laz′a‧rus correspondingly the injurious things. Now, however, he is having comfort here but you are in anguish. 26 And besides all these things, a great chasm has been fixed between us and YOU people, so that those wanting to go over from here to YOU people cannot, neither may people cross over from there to us.
Notice the part I bolded.... Jesus is now speaking about a 'group' of people....not just the one rich man who the story is about. The group of people were those who rejected the messiah, the religious leaders who viewed the poor with contempt. Those who were spiritually poor accepted Jesus and they benefited, but the rich ones rejected him so they lost the favored position they once had.

I just realised i put 'abraham' in brackets when it is supposed to be the 'rich man'... so i'll edit that now

That still does not mean it was a parable. The scripture clearly says that at death the spirit ( saint or not) goes back to God. They are all at the same place but the righteous are separated from those that are not. Because Jesus says that even the grave will not prevail over His Church. So His Church (called out ones) are separated from the unrighteous in the place where the spirits of the dead are.

[email protected]

Choir Loft
Apr 2, 2009
West Central Florida
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
WHERE DOES THE WORD HELL COME FROM?

Webster's Third New International Dictionary, unabridged, under "Hell"
says: "from 'helan' to conceal." The word "hell" thus originally conveyed
no thought of heat or torment but simply of a 'covered over or concealed
place.' In the old English dialect the expression "helling potatoes" meant,
not to roast them, but simply to place the potatoes in the ground or in a
cellar.
Collier's Encyclopedia (1986, Vol 12, p.28) says concerning "Hell":
First it stands for the Hebrew Sheol of the Old Testament and the Greek
Hades of the Septuagint and New Testament. Since Sheol in the Old Testament
times refered simply to the abode of the dead and suggested no moral
distinctions, the word 'hell,' as understood today, is not a happy
translation."
The meaning given today to the word "hell" is that portrayed in Dante's
Divine Comedy and Milton's Paradise Lost, which meaning is completely
foreign to the original definition of the word. The idea of a "hell" of firey
torment, dates back long before Dante or Milton. The Grollier Universal
Encyclopedia (1971, Vol. 9,p.205) under "Hell" says: "Hindus and Buddhists
regard hell as a place of spiritual cleansing and final restoration.
Islamic tradition considers it as a place of eternal punishment." The idea
of suffering after death is found among the pagan religious teachings of
ancient peoples in Babylon and Egypt. Babylonian and Assyrian beliefs
depicted the "nether world . . . as a place full of horrors, . . . presided
over by gods and demons of great strength and fierceness." Although ancient
Egyptian religious texts do not teach that the burning of any individual
victim would go on forever, they do portray the "other world" as featuring
"pits of fire" for "the damned."--The Religion of Babylonia and Assyria, by
Morris Jastrow, Jr. 1898, p. 581; The Book of the Dead, 1960, pp. 135-200.
"Hellfire" has been a basic teaching in Christendom for many centuries,
it is understandable why The Encyclopedia Americana (1956, Vol XIV,p.81)
said:"Much confusion and misunderstanding has been caused by the early
translators of the Bible persistently rendering the Hebrew Sheol and the
Greek Hades and Gehenna by the word hell. The simple transliteration of
these words by the translators of the revised editions of the Bible has not
sufficed to appreciably clear up this confusion and misconception."
Nevertheless, such transliteration and consistent rendering does enable the
Bible student to make an accurate comparison of the texts in which these
original words appear and, with open mind, thereby to arrive at an
understanding of their true significance.
So, what is the 'Lake of Fire" of Revelation chapter 20? First let's
look at verse 15, it says: "Whosoever was not found written in the book of
life was cast into the lake of fire." But verse 14 says:"And death and hell
were cast into the lake of fire." Is hell itself to be tormented? And how
can death, a condition, be thrown into a literal fire? The rest of verse 14
reads: This [the lake of fire] is the second death." Rev. 21:8 repeats this
point. What is this "second death"? The Catholic Jerusalem Bible adds this
footnote concerning "the second death": "Eternal death. The fire ... is
symbolic." Very true, for it signifies complete destruction, or
annihilation.
How interresting! "Hell" is to be destroyed! Note, however, that the
Greek word used here is Hades, which, according to Strong's Exhaustive
Concordance of the Bible, means "grave." Are the dead conscious or
suffering in hell, or Hades? The Bible replies:"The dead know nothing...for
neither work, nor reason, nor wisdom,nor knowledge shall be in hell, whither
thou art hastening."--Ecclesiastes 9:5,10, Catholic Douay Version.
However you may ask "Why does Rev.20:10, say that the Devil will be
'tormented' in the lake of fire?" If, as we have seen, the lake is
symbolic, then, logically the torment is also.
In the Bible times, jailers often cruelly tortured their prisoners,
hence they were called "tormentors." In one of his illustrations, Jesus
spoke of a cruel slave as being 'delivered to jailers' (Greek, basanistes',
which actually means "tormentors" and is so rendered by the KJV at Matt.
18:34). So when Revelation speaks of the Devil and others as being
"tormented...forever" in the lake of fire, it means that they will be
"jailed" to all eternity in the second death of complete destruction. The
Devil, the death inherited from Adam, and the unrepentant wicked all are
spoken of as being destroyed eternally--"jailed" in the lake of
fire.--Compare Heb.2:14; 1 Corinthians 15:26; Psalm 37:38.
The Dogma of eternal torment is based on the immortal-soul theory.
However, the Bible clearly states: "The soul that is sinning--it shall
die."(Ezekial 18:4,20; see also Acts 3:23.) Proclaimers of hellfire have
made the true God, Jehovah, appear to be a fiend--a cruel monster--instead
of what he is: a God of love, "merciful and gracious . . . and abundant in
loving kindness."--Exodus 34:6.
Lovingly God has made provision to save men, not from torment, but from
being destroyed. Said Jesus: "God loved the world so much that he gave his
only-begotten Son, in order that everyone exercising faith in him not be
DESTROYED but have everlasting life.--John 3:16.
http://www.beyondweird.com/occult/hellfire.html

Such longwinded explanations and deviations from Biblical teaching are usually an attempt to mask the danger of eternity without God.

They are a deception of Satan and deserve to be remanded to the trash heap where they belong.

GOD IS NOT ALL GOOD AND ALL LOVING.

Go back and read the old testament and see what punishment he commanded the Israelites to do to those whose habitation they displaced. They killed every man, woman, child and beast, burning the rest. Commmanded.

Go back and read the words of Christ Himself who said, among other things, that it's better to enter eternity minus a limb than to enter hell whole.

The sense of it is extreme danger and permanance, YES PERMANENT, torture. If such a thing is so horrendous to the human mind, then it becomes even more of a guilt edged necessity to make peace with God. Make peace in Christ.

It isn't man that holds the keys of life and death, heaven and hell - it's God. You can argue your case all day long before men and all you've done is flap your tongue in futility. You have accomplished nothing. Absolutely nothing.

No man has ever argued his way out of the grave. No man can argue his way out of hell. It is really comical and sad to watch the effort being made for in the end the result is the same; DEATH.

Instead of trying to redefine hell and thus escape its danger, why not seek to make peace with the One who can condemn or save - ETERNALLY.
You can't have it your way, you know. Did you form the pillars of the earth? Did you hang the stars in space? Neither can you save from eternal hell or argue your way into heaven.

Repent or die.

Buzzfruit

Aug 21, 2011
Bronx, New York, U.S.A
Such longwinded explanations and deviations from Biblical teaching are usually an attempt to mask the danger of eternity without God.

They are a deception of Satan and deserve to be remanded to the trash heap where they belong.

GOD IS NOT ALL GOOD AND ALL LOVING.

Go back and read the old testament and see what punishment he commanded the Israelites to do to those whose habitation they displaced. They killed every man, woman, child and beast, burning the rest. Commmanded.

Go back and read the words of Christ Himself who said, among other things, that it's better to enter eternity minus a limb than to enter hell whole.

The sense of it is extreme danger and permanance, YES PERMANENT, torture. If such a thing is so horrendous to the human mind, then it becomes even more of a guilt edged necessity to make peace with God. Make peace in Christ.

It isn't man that holds the keys of life and death, heaven and hell - it's God. You can argue your case all day long before men and all you've done is flap your tongue in futility. You have accomplished nothing. Absolutely nothing.

No man has ever argued his way out of the grave. No man can argue his way out of hell. It is really comical and sad to watch the effort being made for in the end the result is the same; DEATH.

Instead of trying to redefine hell and thus escape its danger, why not seek to make peace with the One who can condemn or save - ETERNALLY.
You can't have it your way, you know. Did you form the pillars of the earth? Did you hang the stars in space? Neither can you save from eternal hell or argue your way into heaven.

Repent or die.

I am not even going to waste time showing you from the Bible (both the Old and New Testament) that you are very incorrect. Only to say that your comment only show how ignorant you are of God's plan.....it is hidden from you and your bad attitude does not help either.