Where is the reformation in the Bible?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
They make up narratives to get people saved thru fear like the fake book 50 yrs in the Roman church
How can Fifty Years in the Church of Rome be a "faked" book? Have you even read it? It should scare the daylights out of you. Father Charles Chiniquy was an actual priest in the RCC and he has given a first-hand account of what he has seen and heard. But he has been mightily reviled because he exposed the falsity of the church of Rome.

However this is the standard ploy of apologists for the church of Rome. Anything which exposes Catholicism for what it is is branded a lie.

Just like the mainstream media (MSM). Anyone who is a law-abiding conservative opposed to Marxism is a white supremacist, racist, bigot, and a member of KKK. So by demonizing the opposition they hope to deflect the searchlight of truth from themselves.

What Roman Catholics should do is frankly acknowledge the problems with their church, and then walk away from it. When Pope Francis can get away with calling Muslims "brothers", it means that this church is in serious trouble.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
:rolleyes:

Show me any "Biblical Doctrine" not based on SCRIPTURE but on TRADITION, and explain how that can be a "biblical" doctrine.
... YOU ARE TALKING LIKE A CRAZY PERSON!

Sola Scriptura is the self-evident belief that Biblical Doctrines are based on the BIBLE and not on HUMAN TRADITION or DIVINE INSPIRATION OF THE POPE. The RCC claims that Biblical Doctrines (based on the Bible) are equal to Non-Biblical and Contra-Biblical Church Doctrines based on TRADITION and PAPAL INSPIRATION (ex-cathedra).

The Assumption of Mary is NON-BIBLICAL (the event does not appear in scripture) but is based on TRADITION.
Purgatory is CONTRA-BIBLICAL (scripture says it is not true) so it is based on TRADITION and PAPAL INSPIRATION (I do not believe that the EO Catholic Churches believe in purgatory). The Deity of Christ is a BIBLICAL doctrine.

Sola Scriptura says that stories can be false and people can be wrong so only doctrines based on the God-breathed HOLY SCRIPTURE can be trusted.
Ummmmm, for starters - the Canon of Scripture is NOT indicated in the Bible.
It is a Tradition of the Church.

Infant Baptism is alluded to in Scripture but is largely a Tradition and NOT explicitly mentioned in Scripture.

Finally - Sola Scriptura, the idea that Scripture ALONE is our "sole Authority" is an ANTI-Biblical doctrine.
Not only is it NOT supported by the very Scriptures it purports to be our ONLY Authority - it is NOT even our final earthly Authority. The Bible tells us that Christ's CHURCH is our final earthly Authority:

Matt 16:16-19
And so I say to you, you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it.
I will give you the keys to the kingdom of heaven. WHATEVER YOU BIND on earth shall be bound in heaven; and WHATEVER YOU LOOSE on earth shall be loosed in heaven."

Matt. 18:15-18
"If your brother sins (against you), go and tell him his fault between you and him alone. If he listens to you, you have won over your brother.
If he does not listen, take one or two others along with you, so that 'every fact may be established on the testimony of two or three witnesses.'
If he refuses to listen to them, tell the church. If he refuses to listen even to the church, then treat him as you would a Gentile or a tax collector.
Amen, I say to you, WHATEVER YOU BIND on earth shall be bound in heaven, and WHATEVER YOU LOOSE on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

John 16:12-15
“I have much more to tell you, but you cannot bear it now.
But when he comes, the Spirit of truth, he will guide you to ALL truth. He will not speak on his own, but he will speak what he hears, and will declare to YOU the things that are coming.
He will glorify me, because he will TAKE from what is MINE and declare it to YOU.
Everything that the Father has is MINE; for this reason I told you that he will TAKE from what is MINE and declare it to YOU.

John 20:21-23
Jesus said to them again, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent ME, so I send YOU.” And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, “Receive the holy Spirit. Whose sins YOU FORGIVE are forgiven them, and whose sins YOU RETAIN are retained.”

Luke 10:16
Whoever listens to YOU listens to ME. Whoever rejects YOU rejects ME. And whoever rejects ME rejects the ONE who sent ME."

As for the doctrine of Final Purification (Purgatory) is most certainly IS a Biblical doctrine (2 Macc. 42-46, Matt. 5:25-26, 1 Cor. 3:12-15, Matt. 12:32, Matt. 18:32-35, Luke 12:58-59).
So, ANY TIME you wanna discuss this Biblical doctrine - you know where to find me . . .

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How can Fifty Years in the Church of Rome be a "faked" book? Have you even read it? It should scare the daylights out of you. Father Charles Chiniquy was an actual priest in the RCC and he has given a first-hand account of what he has seen and heard. But he has been mightily reviled because he exposed the falsity of the church of Rome.

However this is the standard ploy of apologists for the church of Rome. Anything which exposes Catholicism for what it is is branded a lie.

Just like the mainstream media (MSM). Anyone who is a law-abiding conservative opposed to Marxism is a white supremacist, racist, bigot, and a member of KKK. So by demonizing the opposition they hope to deflect the searchlight of truth from themselves.

What Roman Catholics should do is frankly acknowledge the problems with their church, and then walk away from it. When Pope Francis can get away with calling Muslims "brothers", it means that this church is in serious trouble.
Ummmmm, not ONLY is there no record of Cninquy's time of "priestly service" - this is a guy wo was wanted for burning down a church and absconding with its money.
And THIS is the guy you believe??

This is the epitome of anti-Catholicism - outright LIES and general BS . . .

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I read it
It’s a joke
A narrative
Fake

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Ummmmm, not ONLY is there no record of Cninquy's time of "priestly service"
On what basis do you claim that there is no record of his priestly service? He was a Catholic priest from 1829 to 1858. That is thirty years of priesthood. And you claim there was "no record". So who is the liar?

The Biographical Dictionary of Canada [Biography – CHINIQUY, CHARLES – Volume XII (1891-1900) – Dictionary of Canadian Biography]
has an article on Charles Chiniquy, and here is what they say:

...In 1829 he took the first steps leading to the priesthood, and four years later he was ordained priest by Bishop Joseph Signay* in Notre-Dame cathedral at Quebec.

A short time later Chiniquy was named assistant priest at Saint-Charles, near Quebec. In May 1834 he was at Charlesbourg and in September in the parish of Saint-Roch at Quebec. He also served as chaplain at the Marine and Emigrant Hospital, where he met Dr James Douglas*. ...

...Nevertheless Signay, now archbishop of Quebec, named Chiniquy on 21 Sept. 1838 curé of La Nativité-de-Notre-Dame in Beauport, one of the largest and most prosperous parishes in the Quebec region...

...Chiniquy went around the parishes near by, and preached in Notre-Dame church at Montreal on 24 Oct. 1841 and Notre-Dame cathedral at Quebec on 24 June 1842...

...On 28 Sept. 1842 Chiniquy became assistant to Jacques Varin, the parish priest of Saint-Louis at Kamouraska...

...When Varin died on 11 April 1843, Chiniquy replaced him, officially becoming parish priest...

...In October 1846 Chiniquy announced that he was entering the Oblates of Mary Immaculate... In October 1847 he withdrew to the home of his friend Louis-Moïse Brassard*, the curé of Longueuil, where he stayed until October 1851...

...Yet, though he was at the height of his popularity, Chiniquy felt that he was going round in circles. Seeking new challenges, he tackled LAvenir, a radical newspaper, and in strongly worded exchanges he defended the church, the papacy, and the clergy’s right to intervene in public affairs, condemned annexation to the United States, and examined the question of emigration to that country. At Pointe-aux-Trembles (Montreal) he crossed swords with the French Protestants (who were called the Swiss)...

...Chiniquy settled at St Anne, Ill. It was his dynamism and charisma, as well as the construction of the Illinois Central Railroad at Kankakee, that helped St Anne to develop much faster than the surrounding communities. Chiniquy’s parishioners, only too happy to re-create under his direction a corner of the lost motherland, were generous in their giving, and soon a church, presbytery, and boys’ school were built. In March 1856, noting that he lived among 10,000 Canadians who had settled in the shadow of the crosses he had raised, Chiniquy asked for some French Canadian priests to be sent him, emphasizing that the Irish bishops could not be counted on to assure the salvation of the emigrants...

...On 3 September he was excommunicated... on 17 November, Bourget noted that if Chiniquy was willing to do penance, he would find a place in the diocese of Montreal, which had not forgotten all the good he had done there...Bourget’s delegates arrived at St Anne late in November and met with Chiniquy. He agreed to write Bishop O’Regan a letter in which he submitted to his sentence, regretted the scandal caused by his actions and writings, and requested the lifting of the measures of censure imposed on him and on those who had received the sacraments from him. He would cease to exercise his ministry and would leave St Anne in three weeks. Lesieur-Désaulniers hailed the negotiations as a success, but was forced to change his tune. O’Regan made further demands and refused the act of submission...

...On 3 Aug. 1858 Bishop John Duggan, O’Regan’s successor, went to St Anne and formally reconfirmed the excommunication of Chiniquy. Rather than submit, Chiniquy left the Catholic Church, taking his followers from St Anne and various missions in Illinois with him...

..At that time, as Chiniquy later recounted in his memoirs, he saw clearly that the Roman church could not be the church of Jesus Christ. The thought filled him with terror. He understood then that he had left forever relatives, friends, and motherland, and that for them he was no longer anything but an apostate, a traitor to be fought by every possible means. Where could he go to be saved? He had no friends among the Protestants, whom he had always opposed. Life seemed a burden, and it is thought that he even considered suicide. Then he had a revelation: salvation is a perfect gift freely bestowed, a gift from God, who in return asks only for love and repentance. He realized that God alone had an absolute claim on him, that he owed obedience neither to the pope nor to the bishops nor to the church. “I had only one desire left: . . . to be allowed to show my people this gift and get them to accept it.” This account of his conversion he was to expand and modify according to circumstance and audience. He was converted, that is, he adapted himself to what he had always rejected but what now seemed to him inevitable...

Last edited:

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
On what basis do you claim that there is no record of his priestly service? He was a Catholic priest from 1829 to 1858. That is thirty years of priesthood. And you claim there was "no record". So who is the liar?

The Biographical Dictionary of Canada [Biography – CHINIQUY, CHARLES – Volume XII (1891-1900) – Dictionary of Canadian Biography]

...In 1829 he took the first steps leading to the priesthood, and four years later he was ordained priest by Bishop Joseph Signay* in Notre-Dame cathedral at Quebec.

A short time later Chiniquy was named assistant priest at Saint-Charles, near Quebec. In May 1834 he was at Charlesbourg and in September in the parish of Saint-Roch at Quebec. He also served as chaplain at the Marine and Emigrant Hospital, where he met Dr James Douglas*. ...

...Nevertheless Signay, now archbishop of Quebec, named Chiniquy on 21 Sept. 1838 curé of La Nativité-de-Notre-Dame in Beauport, one of the largest and most prosperous parishes in the Quebec region...

...Chiniquy went around the parishes near by, and preached in Notre-Dame church at Montreal on 24 Oct. 1841 and Notre-Dame cathedral at Quebec on 24 June 1842...

...On 28 Sept. 1842 Chiniquy became assistant to Jacques Varin, the parish priest of Saint-Louis at Kamouraska...

...When Varin died on 11 April 1843, Chiniquy replaced him, officially becoming parish priest...

...In October 1846 Chiniquy announced that he was entering the Oblates of Mary Immaculate... In October 1847 he withdrew to the home of his friend Louis-Moïse Brassard*, the curé of Longueuil, where he stayed until October 1851...

...Yet, though he was at the height of his popularity, Chiniquy felt that he was going round in circles. Seeking new challenges, he tackled LAvenir, a radical newspaper, and in strongly worded exchanges he defended the church, the papacy, and the clergy’s right to intervene in public affairs, condemned annexation to the United States, and examined the question of emigration to that country. At Pointe-aux-Trembles (Montreal) he crossed swords with the French Protestants (who were called the Swiss)...

...Chiniquy settled at St Anne, Ill. It was his dynamism and charisma, as well as the construction of the Illinois Central Railroad at Kankakee, that helped St Anne to develop much faster than the surrounding communities. Chiniquy’s parishioners, only too happy to re-create under his direction a corner of the lost motherland, were generous in their giving, and soon a church, presbytery, and boys’ school were built. In March 1856, noting that he lived among 10,000 Canadians who had settled in the shadow of the crosses he had raised, Chiniquy asked for some French Canadian priests to be sent him, emphasizing that the Irish bishops could not be counted on to assure the salvation of the emigrants...

...On 3 September he was excommunicated... on 17 November, Bourget noted that if Chiniquy was willing to do penance, he would find a place in the diocese of Montreal, which had not forgotten all the good he had done there...Bourget’s delegates arrived at St Anne late in November and met with Chiniquy. He agreed to write Bishop O’Regan a letter in which he submitted to his sentence, regretted the scandal caused by his actions and writings, and requested the lifting of the measures of censure imposed on him and on those who had received the sacraments from him. He would cease to exercise his ministry and would leave St Anne in three weeks. Lesieur-Désaulniers hailed the negotiations as a success, but was forced to change his tune. O’Regan made further demands and refused the act of submission...

...On 3 Aug. 1858 Bishop John Duggan, O’Regan’s successor, went to St Anne and formally reconfirmed the excommunication of Chiniquy. Rather than submit, Chiniquy left the Catholic Church, taking his followers from St Anne and various missions in Illinois with him...

..At that time, as Chiniquy later recounted in his memoirs, he saw clearly that the Roman church could not be the church of Jesus Christ. The thought filled him with terror. He understood then that he had left forever relatives, friends, and motherland, and that for them he was no longer anything but an apostate, a traitor to be fought by every possible means. Where could he go to be saved? He had no friends among the Protestants, whom he had always opposed. Life seemed a burden, and it is thought that he even considered suicide. Then he had a revelation: salvation is a perfect gift freely bestowed, a gift from God, who in return asks only for love and repentance. He realized that God alone had an absolute claim on him, that he owed obedience neither to the pope nor to the bishops nor to the church. “I had only one desire left: . . . to be allowed to show my people this gift and get them to accept it.” This account of his conversion he was to expand and modify according to circumstance and audience. He was converted, that is, he adapted himself to what he had always rejected but what now seemed to him inevitable...

the book is fiction

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He claimed there were wars over the immaculate conception! Really?

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Amazed@grace said:
The bible does not. Materialism within the RRCC made it a law.
"celibacy for priests became Church law. A fringe benefit of a celibate clergy was that it was easier to maintain ownership of Church property, which would otherwise pass to the heirs of a married cleric. This was important in the ongoing Church struggle to maintain an independent identity from the Empire."
Source PDF: http://votf.org/pswg/Handout_History.pdf
https://bigthink.com/culture-religion/pagan-roots-of-catholicism
history paganism in roman rite catholic church at DuckDuckGo
Celibacy was not made mandatory in the Latin rite until the 11th century. IT IS NOT A DOCTRINE BUT A DISCIPLINE so exceptions can be made. Your hateful source is so off, the authors can't see straight.
Is Catholicism Pagan? | Catholic Answers

Married-priests-resized.jpg

OIP.-I9EYvbvDoxW9-nRdTEO8AHaE8

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

My bad - I conflated Chiniquy with Alberto Rivera from my list of imposters and charlatans.
I was going from memory and mixed Chiniquy's burning of a church and running away with the money and Rivera's "non-existent" time as "priest".

Rivera was the ding-dong who claimed to have been a "Jesuit priest" yet couldn't produce a single record of it. He was eventually chased out of Europe for various fraudulent financial schemes including check fraud, when he fled to the U.S. and hooked up with Jack Chick.
The rest is ignorant anti-Catholic history . . .

Chiniquy was the nut-job who swore that the Lincoln assassination was a plot between the Catholic Church and John Wilkes Boothe (yikes!).
As for his book - most of it has been soundly-debunked for over a HUNDRED years. BUT, staunch anti-Catholics will hang onto ANY lie as long as it sounds good.

So, I apologize for mixed nuts.
I'm usually more careful . . .

Last edited:

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

To this day, some of Chiniquy's works are still promoted among Protestants and Sola Scriptura believers. One of his most well-known modern day followers was Jack Chick, who created a comic-form adaptation of 50 Years In The Church of Rome, called "The Big Betrayal." He relied strongly on Chiniquy's claims in his own anti-Catholic tracts.

Amazed@grace

Apr 1, 2021
futurum, ubi non sunt atheus troglodytae
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Looks like YOU didn't do your homework - again . . .

For starters - the Holy Spirit, speaking through Paul, recommends celibacy in 1 Cor. 7:7–9, 28, 32–33. In these verses he states that celibacy was a more excellent state because the married man is anxious about worldly affairs and how to please his wife, whereas the celibate man (himself included) could focus on how to please the Lord:

1 Cor. 7:7-9
I wish that all were as I myself am. But each has his own gift from God, one of one kind and one of another. To the unmarried and the widows I say that it is good for them to remain single, as I am. But if they cannot exercise self-control, they should marry. For it is better to marry than to burn with passion.

1 Cor. 7:28
But if you do marry, you have not sinned, and if a betrothed woman marries, she has not sinned. Yet those who marry will have worldly troubles, and I would spare you that.

1 Cor. 32:34
I want you to be free from anxieties. The unmarried man is anxious about the things of the Lord, how to please the Lord. 33 But the married man is anxious about worldly things, how to please his wife, 34 and his interests are divided.

Let's not forget that Jesus ALSO recommended the celibate life for those who are able to receive this discipline:
Matt. 19:9-12
And I say to you: whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another, commits adultery.”
The disciples said to him, “If such is the case of a man with his wife, it is better not to marry.” But he said to them, “Not everyone can receive this saying, but only those to whom it is given. For there are eunuchs who have been so from birth, and there are eunuchs who have been made eunuchs by men, and there are eunuchs who have made themselves eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. Let the one who is able to receive this receive it.”

Many of the Early Fathers, including Tertullian, Origen, Eusebius, and Epiphanius also favored celibacy. But at the local Council of Elvira (Spain, 295-302 AD) celibacy was first imposed on bishops, priests, and deacons. The bottom line is that nobody is forced to become a priest, ergo, NO Catholic is forced to be celibate. Those who enter the religious life know very well in advance that this discipline is expected of them.

As for the links you provided - they are ALL based on the heavily-debunked writings of famous anti-Catholic nincompoops like Alexander Hislop, Loraine Boettner. and Jack Chick. So, ANY time you wanna go toe-to-toe on the writings of these 3 historically-bankrupt boobs - I've got enough factual ammunition to bury ALL THREE of them.

Do yourself a favor:
Take some time off of this forum, do your homework - THEN come back and try to discuss things intelligently . . .
Do yourself the favor. Never ever join a forum where you know Protestants are members, and for the purpose of assaulting our faith and attempting to insult us in the process. Your efforts don't make us look bad.

Lastly, that crack about my homework?
Oops! I guess I shouldn't have used RRCC sources with links.
My bad.:D

Amazed@grace

Apr 1, 2021
futurum, ubi non sunt atheus troglodytae
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't hate Catholics, or even Catholocism - I hate when Catholics attack Protestants and call Protestants HERETICS - which had been done here much before I posted any strong sentiments against certain Catholic practices.
I don't appreciate Moderators putting words into my mouth that I didn't say, and accusing me of "hating Catholics"
The hatred for Protestants should be noted as well.
From BOL, and others here. Especially one who claims to be RRCC and openly called Protestantism Heresy, and all Protestants here Heretics.
Which is why he starts threads to personally attack both. And isn't made to stop after his open admission.

However, you might consider this as you take after trolling alleged members of the RRCC.
If we meet demonic evil like that which in its darkness purposefully openly trolls Christians, we might consider their ultimate goal is to have us plumb to the depths and join them there, giving verbal abuse for verbal abuse.

I know many RRCC's. They would never ever assail Protestants in their own house,board.
Never.
Why?
Because to do so is a grave sin they need repent of.
Once is repentant. A consistent months, even years long repetitive behavior, is pathological. And priests have an issue with constant repetitive sin of the same type bad behavior.

What I'm saying is, Catholics don't troll Protestants.
But Protestants rising to the bait of trolls make trolls day. Because their goal is to challenge us to see how much it takes before we abandon our Christ like demeanor and act like them.

I can't find the video however, years ago a man was filmed be a congregant as the man stood during a mass and started shouting that the RRCC were heritics.
What did the congregation do? They sang hymns and drowned out the man's rants.

We're to meet hate with love when possible. However, when anonymity on the web imboldens no life bullies to assail Christians in their own net community, paying them attention only feeds the beast. And inspires them to continue their behaviors. They crave the attention. And love that we try to reach them with the truth of the Christ they mock and insult when they troll in his name.

We'll never reach that.
And at their end, they'll know ,for as long as we cared to, why we tried.

Last edited:

Hemlock

Apr 6, 2021
WACO
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I just took 3 Catholics off of Ignore

we will see what happens

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I just took 3 Catholics off of Ignore we will see what happens
They'll call you a liar each time you post a truth about the church of Rome. They are now trying to "cancel" Charles Chiniquy. But it is too late. The cat has been out of the bag for almost 200 years. And every time Francis opens his mouth, he reveals that he is simply a Communist pretending to be a Catholic.

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Hemlock

Apr 6, 2021
WACO
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"alleged contradiction"?
I don't know what you mean, Illuminator

I asked how long Daniel was in the lions den because in the Hebrew/Aramaic part of Daniel which is in EVERYONE's Bible - Daniel is just in the den overnight

In my Orthodox Study Bible - in a Greek-only part of Daniel - Daniel is in the den for a whole week, and is brought food by Habakkuk (who in reality was about a century before this event)

The commentary note in the Orthodox Study Bible says Habakkuk was transported through not only space but also TIME (an angel pulled him by the hair)