Where Were You When Jesus Called Your Name?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

His By Grace

Dec 28, 2007
I have been thinking about how important it is to share real life experiences with nonbelievers as to why we believe what we believe. So, I'm interested in your stories. Where were you when Jesus called you to salvation? What day or night of the week was it? How did you know it was His voice? What gave you the bravery to accept the call? Did you agree with God that you were in need of a Savior because of your sin-sick soul? I'll never forget how real Jesus has spoken in my life. Also, real life testimonies about the marvelous ways he has answered prayers for family and friends means more than a textbook witnessing plan. Has God ever done something so miraculous for you that no one else could have done it because no one else knew to do it? Let's share these with the unbelieving to help strengthen their belief and bring them the great gift of salvation in Christ. They will be eternally grateful!
smile.gif
I really want to hear your stories too. I know they will bless and encourage me in my walk. Let's bring back the childhood sparkle and majesty we had for Him when we first believed!!!

dgc

Nov 27, 2007
I have had many expierances with God trying to get my attention from drowining in lake superiour at age eight and having an out of body expieriance where I find myself on a road leading to a great gate of pearls where a hand reaches out and says "not yet" then find myself being revived on shore; to at age 17 on 12/07/1980 where I was in an accident which resulted in a broken neck at c5-c6 complete and becoming a quadrapleguic with no hope ever to walk again if I even survived according to my neuroligist. All yet while I was still a sinner and in Gods mercy he miraculously healed me 6months later. And this was not apparently enough to sufficently get my attention how foolishly stubbern I was.To answer the question I responded to his call on 10/05/1986 12:35 PM. It is a day I'll never forget as on that day not only was I forgiven but also filled with his holy spirit and delivered instantly from a $50.000 a year drug addiction. I am forever greatful for his patiants and persistance and love.

dgc

Nov 27, 2007
There was another thread about the worlds longest thread This is an excellent way to try to beat it for both new and old belivers to give our personal testimonies and how we came to Christs' salvation it is also a great way to express our love and gratitude to him and to get to know each other on a new level please feel free to join.

Garbage Man

Feb 7, 2008
I should tell you that I've listened to hundreds of personal testimonies from people about when they came to believe what they did, and not a single one has moved me an inch toward accepting their beliefs as my own. For example, dgc, I could point out many cases of people - christians, atheists, agnostics, and otherwise - who suffered fatal or permanently crippling injuries, and were told by doctors that their lives would soon end... and the doctors were proven correct.

His By Grace

Dec 28, 2007
I like your challenge, dcg. I knew about Christ most of my life because I was raised in church. This can be a good thing and a bad thing. Sometimes you become numb to the hearing of the gospel and assume that you are saved when you might not be. At age 5, I tugged at my mom's shirt and told her I wanted to go forward to receive Christ after hearing a message on hell. I know as I look back that I went out of a fear motivation. I continued in my journey and didn't really grow in Christ too much until I was older (around 13) and I began reading my Bible every night as a result of good youth leadership by pastors, youth directors, Bible studies,church camps, and fellowships. It seemed like I could never do the things some of my friends had no trouble doing. I was labeled a "goody 2 shoes" for a long time. I never drank, did drugs, wasn't involved in premarital sex, didn't smoke except for one time and it choked me to death, and I didn't curse. Don't get me wrong. I had areas I struggled in and the Holy Spirit was good at highlighting those areas when I gave Him the chance. I had problems with anger, self-esteem, dishonesty (I told people what I thought they wanted to hear and I did that to myself many times too), and I wanted to do things my way if I didn't like the Lord's way of handling things (who to date,etc.). Finally, at age 17, the Lord got my attention in a big way. At youth camp in the summer of 1980 at Gulfshores Baptist Assembly, right there on the beautiful Mississippi Gulf Coast, I heard Him speak to me as if He were sitting right by my side. I was watching people in the praise and worship time. There was a praise leader in the sanctuary that had played the piano and sang. He was very talented. My eyes kept being drawn to him. He wasn't overly handsome, but there was something so special about this man. He was probably about 21 at this time. His face seemed to shine as he sang. When he wasn't playing, he listened so intently to pastor giving the message. He raised his hands and gave verbal praise. He had what I was missing. He was still amazed by Jesus' wonderful grace!!!! When the invitation was given the last night at camp, a Thursday night, I rushed down with tears I couldn't hold back, regretting all of the years I took such a beautiful gift for granted. I went to my brother and apologized for the mean things I said to him and did as we had grown up. I went to friends and cried on their shoulders and asked them to forgive me for not being the friend I needed to be. I noticed the Lord moving among our youth group. One by one, others began going to the alter to get things right with the Lord. Have I made poor decisions since? Yes. Has the Lord still used me. Oh, yes. Do I love Him more now than ever before? Yes, yes, yes. If I ever get over what happened to me I need to go ahead and be buried because I'm no longer useful to the Lord. To something you said,Garbage Man, about the doctors being right about people being sick. You see, faith means more than believing that Jesus will heal you. Faith also means you will trust Him if He asks you to stay sick so He can be further glorified in the sickness and use it to bring others to Him. I want my life to be a fragrant offering to Him. May EVERYTHING I do honor Him. Like Jesus said, "Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven." If God's not willing for the cup to pass from me, then may I learn what I need to learn and help bring others to Christ through my obedience.

ForYou

Jan 21, 2008
Most of my life still young,But I was raised catholic and just did not feel it was where I was needed(not trying to say anything),I turned away from God not whenever I stopped going to the Catholic Church,but while I was still going,it seemed to me they believed differently and everything was so planned out,The mass everything from how you are supposed to pray,to the rosary it actually turned me away from God,I started cussing more and more,I did stuff I regret,I started hanging out with people that only influenced my walk Away from God,I smoked,I drank,popped pills,(take in mind I am only 14) So that means I was so young and I did all of this,My friends never opposed me,they thought it was okay,But then this one great girl who I always looked up to brought me to a christian church,By that time I was loosining on the smoking etc.,But when I got to church God just made a calling to me,he was like I want to forgive you,and I needed help and I told him that,It was a wednesday night! Youth service,I from that moment on devoted myself to quit doing drugs,smoking etc.,at first even though I gave those things up I still needed to correct myself with God and I knew it,I quit cussing,I quit lying all the time,I quit doing a lot of things,I started speaking up for God,I lossed friends because of what I started to believe,I changed so much,I now worship God so much,I love how much he has changed my life,I no longer live in the sinned filled world I have lived in the majority of my life,but instead into a new light,The light of God,There is nothing better in my life than Him,God has called me into becoming a Pastor,it freaked me out,why me why me,Sometimes you don't need an answer just listen to God and do as he commands! Last wednesday I was even talking to God praying to him even after the service ended I stayed still just worshipping him,he obvoiusly was listening I was like God I know I have become a better person, I have lost friends,and later that night,I had this one guy in tears come up to me,and say Duke you have been on my heart lately and I just want to know I can tell God has changed your life so much,they way you worship,the way you just look,He could see it in my eyes,then the next night I was talking to a girl who said Duke you inspire me to be a better christian,you influence me,and actually looked to me for advice,This just showed my heart that God did something amazing for me,It was just so amazing,I love how God does that he takes the people (me) who have done wrong and change them into great,I love sharing my story because it is a true testimony and It shows how a guy like me got changed into a better stronger faithful christian!
smile.gif
Like I said god has called me into being a Pastor,and it is so great and I know I have work to do,but God has made the calling on my life,and I am not going to ignore it,I am taking this oppurtunity to show my love and God and spread it with everyone willing to listen! This is my story summarized down to the smallest!!!
smile.gif
God bless everyone,and remember God changes lives!

Thunder1

Dec 12, 2007
I was at the end of myself, I just could not cope anymore. I had lots of emotional problems and my life was so empty. I was so shy and full of fear. I lived in Finland that time. God started to show his love and draw me closer and closer to Him. My auntie gave me a Bible and helped me with my emotional issues. I sometimes went to Lutheran church, but my absolute joy was when a small group of this church started to gather and have their worship meetings. That group was really supportive and uplifting. Becoming a Christian was like a process. I saw how these lovely christians put the Word in action. My auntie prayed for me and I can't say exact date, but I was 17 years of age in that time. That time I actually believed in God and Jesus as my Saviour. I'm so thankful.

horsecamp

Feb 1, 2008
I was 15 minutes old when i was baptized .only the command to be baptized is law . Baptism it self is nothing but Gods grace and Mercy shown to us in that same wonderful Gospel of Jesus Christ and him crucified and risen for us ALL . That same old loving gospel of Jesus and him crucified and risen for all that is so compelling that it can not only bring a brand new baby to faith in Jesus through its message in Baptism but even a oldster that has rejected him for 70 0r even a 100 years through the bare message not wrapped up in holy nBaptism.which is the greater miracle a crusted old sinner that now believes or a tiny baby infant that cannot want to dis believe?Mathew 21:16Holy Christian baptism is so full of Gods grace that heaven and earth cannot understand it.1 Peter 3:20-21

horsecamp

Feb 1, 2008
I was baptized when i was 15 minutes old.i was in the hospital just a few minutes born, baptized by a lutheran nurse.who trusted Gods word and promises God made about his grace and mercy in baptism .What can a baby offer God? To be saved by Jesus , Jesus must do it and him alone. a baby can offer nothing what testamony is greater about Gods grace found only in Jesus than a infant babe?as it is writtenMathew 21:16

Beano

Feb 7, 2008
About 15+ years ago I came out of a Cult. They didn't believe in the Trinity nor Water Baptism yet they were very Scripture based. I never left this Ministry because of doctrinal reasons infact the whole house fellowship left because this Ministry wasn't ministering to us when we had a great need.The leader of our fellowship left his wife for another woman, and our plight was just ignored by this ministry.Any way I got challenged on the Trinity I studied hard and finally got to the place where I could say :)Jesus was God !!
smile.gif
I started teaching the trinity to the remnant of the fellowship that was left, there was only 3 of us left by now. After about a month of this new teaching the 3 of us started sharing with each other, it turned out that each of us had been attacked with one long constant headache not a severe headache but more of a nagging oppression that just wasnt going anywhere. I was angry and was jumping down everyones throat at work. Once we realised this was the work of the Devil, we prayed and rebuked the best we could and within a day the headaches had stopped.My next step was to get Baptised. After I was Baptised God gave me a Dream, I was bound in heavy chains and being carried too a river where I was thrown in. I drowned the chains broke free and I was being carried by the current of the river. As my body passed under a bridge a Shaft of light broke upon me. my body came to life and when I came out the other side there were believers there helping me out of the water.To me this dream had alot of meaning after coming out of a Cult. you dont need years of therapy. When you meet Jesus at the cross for the first time you can be free of all that old baggage that you carry round with you. Jesus has a Way.Kevin

His By Grace

Dec 28, 2007
That is neat, Kevin. I never thought of headaches being demonic. I have had bad headaches my whole life. Hmmm....... interesting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!