Which image do you expect Jesus to be in when he returns?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

afaithfulone4u

Dec 7, 2012
California
This man made image

View attachment 105
Or
This one spoken by God that details the image God wants His children to be in? The Bible is the Word of God and Jesus is the Word who became flesh.
View attachment 106

The first man made image(idolatry) is far more recognized by the world as Jesus than the Word of God is, but it isn't, for no one has a photo of Jesus. This is just an image of a flesh man made up for people to have something to look at for worship as God just as all idols are, in fact if you think about it, there are many of these false images and they each look different.
If this is not a true likeness, then it is IDOLATRY!!
Don't be deceived!

Attachments

• Image of the flesh man.jpg
    Image of the flesh man.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 3
  • Image of the Word.jpg
    Image of the Word.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 2

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
Q: How can you be sure He won't look like the picture posted?

A: You can't. You aren't God or His Son and blanket statements like the one you just made are mostly bluster and trolling.

You can make the same point without the inflamatory rhetoric against Catholicism. Believe me, I am a former Catholic and disagree with much of their theology, but the above post is not about healing differences, it is about trying to bludgeon people into your way of thinking and it just does not further the cause of Christ.

afaithfulone4u

Dec 7, 2012
California
BiggAndyy said:
Q: How can you be sure He won't look like the picture posted?

A: You can't. You aren't God or His Son and blanket statements like the one you just made are mostly bluster and trolling.

You can make the same point without the inflamatory rhetoric against Catholicism. Believe me, I am a former Catholic and disagree with much of their theology, but the above post is not about healing differences, it is about trying to bludgeon people into your way of thinking and it just does not further the cause of Christ.
Oh, the false messiah may very well look like this for the whole world pictures these images to be the image of Jesus.... but they are not! Unless you have a photo of him then no body knows what he looked like in the flesh and it is far more likely that I am correct than those who trust in these images. I could put a picture of any one up saying it is an image of Jesus and it would be just as accurate as all of these many many different idolatry images of man's imagination.
There is no thinking about it. If you want to believe that this is a true image of Jesus that is your choice. I am just trying to warn those who just haven't realized that these are only man made, who seek the truth not what they want to hear or believe.

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
You missed the point entirely! Since no one knows what Jesus looks like, no one can say what He DOESN'T look like either. It is simple, but it is simple logic, no twisting of scripture needed.

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
Um...aren't we given a description of Christ as he returns?

Then I saw heaven opened, and behold, a white horse! The one sitting on it is called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he judges and makes war. His eyes are like a flame of fire, and on his head are many diadems, and he has a name written that no one knows but himself. He is clothed in a robe dipped in blood, and the name by which he is called is The Word of God. And the armies of heaven, arrayed in fine linen, white and pure, were following him on white horses. From his mouth comes a sharp sword with which to strike down the nations, and he will rule them with a rod of iron. He will tread the winepress of the fury of the wrath of God the Almighty. On his robe and on his thigh he has a name written, King of kings and Lord of lords.
(Revelation 19:11-16 ESV)

Despite the obviously symbolic language here, I believe a very pertinent point is being made: there is no way we will believe this 'rider' to be anyone other than Jesus Christ. We won't be going "hey...where's the long blonde hair and blue eyes?"....nope...when Jesus comes, those who call him Lord (and even those who do not) will know immediately who he is...regardless of the 'mental' picture they have of their Saviour now.

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
True no one will witness that and wonder, "hey, isn't that your cousin Mikey?" But how many folk do you reckon will split open heaven and spit swords at their enemy?

afaithfulone4u

Dec 7, 2012
California
Rach said:
Um...aren't we given a description of Christ as he returns?

Then I saw heaven opened, and behold, a white horse! The one sitting on it is called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he judges and makes war. His eyes are like a flame of fire, and on his head are many diadems, and he has a name written that no one knows but himself. He is clothed in a robe dipped in blood, and the name by which he is called is The Word of God. And the armies of heaven, arrayed in fine linen, white and pure, were following him on white horses. From his mouth comes a sharp sword with which to strike down the nations, and he will rule them with a rod of iron. He will tread the winepress of the fury of the wrath of God the Almighty. On his robe and on his thigh he has a name written, King of kings and Lord of lords.
(Revelation 19:11-16 ESV)

Despite the obviously symbolic language here, I believe a very pertinent point is being made: there is no way we will believe this 'rider' to be anyone other than Jesus Christ. We won't be going "hey...where's the long blonde hair and blue eyes?"....nope...when Jesus comes, those who call him Lord (and even those who do not) will know immediately who he is...regardless of the 'mental' picture they have of their Saviour now.
When people put these images in their church or hang them on the wall as an image of God this is idolatry for God is Spirit and His Word was made flesh but there are no actual images of Jesus so these are man made imaginary wishful thinking images. It is fine for us to use a man for a movie or a book to read or watch, for he was a man during his ministry, yet for the purpose of admiration or worship or symbol as them actually being an image of God is idolatry. If you being the temple of God, being birthed in JESUS' IMAGE do you think it means you will look like one of these pictures? Or do you think the image of Christ that you are to be growing in is the attributes of God that are taught in His Word?

And as you see from your supporting verses above that he is THE WORD OF GOD and that is the image that the true Messiah will come for knowing the Word of God is what saves men, not looking at an image of dead flesh. His flesh died on the cross and we are to know him in the flesh no longer. Our flesh man has to die as well and it dies daily when we abide in Christ for the Word cleanses us by washing away our sin..ful ways, IF Christ truly dwells in you.
2 Cor 5:17
16 Wherefore henceforth know we no man after the flesh: yea, though we have known Christ after the flesh, yet now henceforth know we him no more.
KJV

And if you want to know the truth about his looks.. here is a better description of Jesus skin color and eye color:
Dan 10:5-6
5 Then I lifted up mine eyes, and looked, and behold a certain man clothed in linen, whose loins were girded with fine gold of Uphaz:
6 His body also was like the beryl, and his face as the appearance of lightning, and his eyes as lamps of fire, and his arms and his feet like in colour to polished brass, and the voice of his words like the voice of a multitude.
KJV
Rev 2:18
18 And unto the angel of the church in Thyatira write; These things saith the Son of God, who hath his eyes like unto a flame of fire, and his feet are like fine brass;
KJV
Rev 1:15
15 And his feet like unto fine brass, as if they burned in a furnace; and his voice as the sound of many waters.
KJV

His eyes were blue as a flame of fire as when you light a candle.. but his body was as of precious stone (beryl) and his legs were as precious metal being tried in the firey furnace as in worthy?

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
Um....I think you may have missed my point! I don't actually attend a church with 'those images'...if you read back, I said the language is obviously symbolic. For example...a sword coming from his mouth. Do I really think Jesus is going to have a physical sword protruding from his mouth? No. But scripture does tell us that God's word cuts like a sword, that before it's truth all will fall and none will be able to stand or refute it. This is what I meant.

Also...Christ's OLD flesh died on the cross. He was given a new body...he is the first fruits...the example of what we ourselves will receive upon our resurrections. And that new body was clearly a physical body...he ate, others touched him.

I don't care a fig what colour Jesus' eyes are!! I don't suppose any Christian does. He is my saviour and I will recognise him the moment he either calls me home or descends from heaven with a shout. I'm not really all that concerned if he's blonde or brunette, if he's wearing a robe or pants. In fact to be honest, in the face of everything else...those sort of concerns seem rather silly and trivial. I'd be more concerned with the fact that when he comes and is seen...lots of people will go to hell. That's kind of sobering and should direct the mind and heart to evangelism, rather than cosmetic concerns...don't you think?

Warrior

Apr 18, 2012
Jesus will probably look however he does in Heaven. With a shining bright countenance. I believe he has the long hair and beard like described by a few Christians. The idolatry is them worshipping statues of Jesus, instead of the Jesus that is in their hearts.

We are meant to Know Jesus by who he is, not by an image

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
I never gave it much thought ..... but at first glance he already came back to the deciples in his ressurected body .... and he had thomas touch his scars .... and he said in a likewise manner he shall return in the clouds ..... but I also think there were people who did not recognize him at first .... the women walking down the road etc. revelation talks about him in glowing colors.

afaithfulone4u

Dec 7, 2012
California
Rach said:
Um....I think you may have missed my point! I don't actually attend a church with 'those images'...if you read back, I said the language is obviously symbolic. For example...a sword coming from his mouth. Do I really think Jesus is going to have a physical sword protruding from his mouth? No. But scripture does tell us that God's word cuts like a sword, that before it's truth all will fall and none will be able to stand or refute it. This is what I meant.

Also...Christ's OLD flesh died on the cross. He was given a new body...he is the first fruits...the example of what we ourselves will receive upon our resurrections. And that new body was clearly a physical body...he ate, others touched him.

I don't care a fig what colour Jesus' eyes are!! I don't suppose any Christian does. He is my saviour and I will recognise him the moment he either calls me home or descends from heaven with a shout. I'm not really all that concerned if he's blonde or brunette, if he's wearing a robe or pants. In fact to be honest, in the face of everything else...those sort of concerns seem rather silly and trivial. I'd be more concerned with the fact that when he comes and is seen...lots of people will go to hell. That's kind of sobering and should direct the mind and heart to evangelism, rather than cosmetic concerns...don't you think?
Forgive me if I have misunderstood your post.
You are very correct in the fact that the sWord in his mouth is the Word and that is even OUR weapon IF we are in Christ, for that is how God does everything, by His Word and Jesus is the living Word of God and those that are his, are his body and all things that the Father ever created were, with and by His Word. That is why in the end every knee shall bow to the Word of God, not to the man made image many call the image of God that most will be comparing him to.

What is the image of the beast? isn't it those who act self centered like animals,as in dog eat dog in this world to get their lusts fulfulled? They have planted the seed (his words)of the devil in their hearts and will bow to do his bidding by lying, cheating, stealing, idol worshipping, be lovers of self more than God. They will commit fornication, adultery, murder,etc... as if God does not see their evil deeds(UNBELIEF) proving they are the seed of Satan to get what they want in this life no matter who it effects or harms others or even our own life, rejecting justice and morality and good character which God's Word teaches us and is THE TRUE LOVE OF GOD.

And those who are being made in the image of Christ discern evil and abhor it as their Father hates it. They will be faithful to the Word/Christ and not love their lives more than God's Word.
Man is looking for Jesus to be returning in the image of what the world has called "Jesus" in physical form, yet we are not to be led or look to the flesh, but to the Spirit to redeem us. Obviously I do believe in a LITERAL return of Jesus, but the only image you can trust in to be the true Jesus comes from his actions, not his physical appearance being DECEIVED!

Inmate said:
Jesus will probably look however he does in Heaven. With a shining bright countenance. I believe he has the long hair and beard like described by a few Christians. The idolatry is them worshipping statues of Jesus, instead of the Jesus that is in their hearts.

We are meant to Know Jesus by who he is, not by an image

The point of my post though Inmate is to warn those we "claim to love" to not be looking for a Jesus in the physical image of those that are merely man made for we understand that there is NO actual photos of Jesus nor much of a discription of him as to say these many all different images are Jesus. They do not even look the same, each is different.
In many Christian stores you will see these false images being sold for the purpose of worshipping for something to see calling it God. Jerusalem is FULL of these sellers of idols as well. Selling statues of who they claim as mother Mary, Jesus and others. What is the purpose of buying these if they are not thought of as images of God and the mother of Christ who was human and not God, yet they pray to them and set them up even as shrines to worship as GOD, yet they are NOT GOD. They are a only idolatry for there are NO images of God on this earth.

Arnie Manitoba said:
I never gave it much thought ..... but at first glance he already came back to the deciples in his ressurected body .... and he had thomas touch his scars .... and he said in a likewise manner he shall return in the clouds ..... but I also think there were people who did not recognize him at first .... the women walking down the road etc. revelation talks about him in glowing colors.

Greetings,
That is true, they did not even recognize him an the road to emmaus and in other places.
Mark 16:12
12 After that he appeared in another form unto two of them, as they walked, and went into the country.
KJV
Luke 24:13-16
13 And, behold, two of them went that same day to a village called Emmaus, which was from Jerusalem about threescore furlongs.
14 And they talked together of all these things which had happened.
15 And it came to pass, that, while they communed together and reasoned, Jesus himself drew near, and went with them.
16 But their eyes were holden that they should not know him.
KJV

We must not concern ourselves with the outer appearance of Jesus, but with the inside, for we know the true Jesus will be in the image of the Word of God for the Father and His Word are inseperable. And One is always known by His Word for they are One.

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
afaithfulone4u .... i am not here to fault you but here is what i see
you show a man-made picture of jesus and say that is not him
then you show a man-made picture of a bible and say that is him
i see no difference between the 2 methods

i think everybody will know it is jesus when he comes.
first time he came he was born in a barn , riding on an ass , hanging on a cross
next time he comes as the biggest of the big guys
no one will mistaken who he is
best wishes

i think bigAndy made some good points too

afaithfulone4u

Dec 7, 2012
California
Arnie Manitoba said:
afaithfulone4u .... i am not here to fault you but here is what i see
you show a man-made picture of jesus and say that is not him
then you show a man-made picture of a bible and say that is him
i see no difference between the 2 methods

i think everybody will know it is jesus when he comes.
first time he came he was born in a barn , riding on an ass , hanging on a cross
next time he comes as the biggest of the big guys
no one will mistaken who he is
best wishes

i think bigAndy made some good points too
I think you have lost the purpose of my post. My question is not about what Jesus will look like when he returns. I asked what Image do you believe he will be in?
The beautiful looking with long hair and caring eyes that man calls an image of God OR will he be in the image of God's Word?
Which one is the more likelyhood?

See carnal man looks to the visual beauty... but God is interested in our hearts beauty. If we are being formed into Christ's image.. do you believe we will all have long hair and the same exact look as these man made pictures of Jesus, being a flesh man? Or do you understand that we are being formed into the image of God's Word to have the attributes of God inwardly to do as he did which was uphold the Word of God to be the light and salt of the earth?

The problem is that when most people hear the word IMAGE they believe it to be an outwardly look... but it is the image of our spirit that is being reborn as was Jesus resurrected in the image that he had with the Father before the Word became flesh for the purpose of his flesh dying in our place.
Luke 8:15
15 But that on the good ground are they, which in an honest and good heart, having heard the word, keep it, and bring forth fruit with patience.
KJV
Heb 8:11
10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:
KJV

Blessings

Dan57

Sep 25, 2012
Illinois
Faith
Country
United States
I agree with the general consensus, we may not know specifically what Christ looks like, but there will be no question about his identity when he takes the stage;

"His eyes were as a flame of fire, and on his head were many crowns; and he had a name written, that no man knew, but he himself. And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God. And the armies which were in heaven followed him upon white horses, clothed in fine linen, white and clean. And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God. And he hath on his vesture and on his thigh a name written, King Of Kings, And Lord Of Lords" (Revelation 19: 12-16)

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
afaithfulone4u ..... I agree that I lost the purpose of your post

I expect Jesus will look like some of the glorious descriptions of Himself in Revelation.
I do not feel we are being transfomed into Christ's image
I do not feel we are being transformed into having the attributes of God
To me an "Image" is something we see outwardly and with our eyes
Not something imaginary and invisible in our spirit.

I confess that I still do not grasp the purpose of your post

It appears to me your concept of "IMAGE" is something which resides within your personal imagination and I am unable to picture it.

best wishes

afaithfulone4u

Dec 7, 2012
California
Arnie Manitoba said:
afaithfulone4u ..... I agree that I lost the purpose of your post

I expect Jesus will look like some of the glorious descriptions of Himself in Revelation.
I do not feel we are being transfomed into Christ's image
I do not feel we are being transformed into having the attributes of God
To me an "Image" is something we see outwardly and with our eyes
Not something imaginary and invisible in our spirit.

I confess that I still do not grasp the purpose of your post

It appears to me your concept of "IMAGE" is something which resides within your personal imagination and I am unable to picture it.

best wishes
Ponder on this, in what image will those be in who are of the anti-Christ spirit?
Do you suppose they will look like the images of the devil that man has drawn with horns and horrific faces? And do you see them changing or will it be just all of a sudden?
Or could it be that they look like the average Joe but their attributes or the FRUIT they produce will tell us exactly who's offspring they are of God's or Satan's for they will be revealing the image or likeness of their head?
If you believe that it will be an outwardly image, then why did God make all men look different? And why don't we see the devil's children looking like their father?
And why is SIN the issue which is of an inwardly place where we may be able to hide our deeds from mortal man, but God sees it all?
See attributes are being like our Father God, not being the Father God. The Word WHO became flesh was the exact representation of the Father's attributes and so should all be who call themselves the son of God.
Phil 2:5-8
5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:
6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:
7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:
8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.
KJV

Rom 1:23-25
23 And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.
24 Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:
25 Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.
KJV
Col 3:1-15
3:1 If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God.
2 Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.
3 For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.
4 When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory.
5 Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry:
6 For which things' sake the wrath of God cometh on the children of disobedience:
7 In the which ye also walked some time, when ye lived in them.
8 But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth.
9 Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds;
10 And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him:
11 Where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, Barbarian, Scythian, bond nor free: but Christ is all, and in all.
12 Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering;
13 Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye.
14 And above all these things put on charity, which is the bond of perfectness.
15 And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful.
KJV

Hopefully you can grasp what I am showing,
Blessings

Dan57 said:
I agree with the general consensus, we may not know specifically what Christ looks like, but there will be no question about his identity when he takes the stage;

"His eyes were as a flame of fire, and on his head were many crowns; and he had a name written, that no man knew, but he himself. And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God. And the armies which were in heaven followed him upon white horses, clothed in fine linen, white and clean. And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God. And he hath on his vesture and on his thigh a name written, King Of Kings, And Lord Of Lords" (Revelation 19: 12-16)
Well....... hopefully we will be behind him at THIS time for this is the GREAT SUPPER OF GOD or Armageddon, the LAST SUPPER where only those invited to the wedding supper is looking down on earth which is the banquet table where the birds of the air are feasting upon kings of the earth and those that remained in the image of A BEAST(Animal blood thirsty and Self serving nature) whom had gathered together to do harm to Israel. We are up out of harms way that is why it says BLESSED is he who is invited to the wedding supper of the Lamb for the rest will be the meal. Notice what his name is??

" his name is called The Word of God. And the armies which were in heaven followed him upon white horses, clothed in fine linen, white and clean. And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword(Our sWord of the Spirit our weapon of a Christian soldier), that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron(The Rod is the Law of God)Mose held the Rod in his right hand for he did everything by the Word of God.)

Let's remember that Cain had a mark put upon him by God and we KNOW that Cain was in the IMAGE of his father being of a beastly nature of self centered, murderer,jealousy, ungodly who would rather kill his own brother in order to blot out what he felt was his competition instead of raising his standards for he had taken the mark of the beast in his forehead(thinking) and hand(works) doing the will of his father who is the devil for they are anti-Christ.. they can not abide in the Word for they are against the Word indwelling them to do what is right in God's sight.

1 John 3:1-15
3:1 Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not.
2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.
3 And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.
4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.
5 And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin.
6 Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him.
7 Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.
8 He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.
9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.
10 In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother.
11 For this is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another.
12 Not as Cain, who was of that wicked one, and slew his brother. And wherefore slew he him? Because his own works were evil, and his brother's righteous.
13 Marvel not, my brethren, if the world hate you.
14 We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren. He that loveth not his brother abideth in death.
15 Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him.
KJV

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
afaithfulone4u said:
This man made image

attachicon.gif
Image of the flesh man.jpg
Or
This one spoken by God that details the image God wants His children to be in? The Bible is the Word of God and Jesus is the Word who became flesh.
attachicon.gif
Image of the Word.jpg
I would say the first. You assume that people at the time could not paint / draw or were all blind? The Catholic church would surely have taken original paintings of Jesus. Imagine the opposition if they didn't! :). There is absolutely no incentive to get it wrong. Also, I am sure that God would step in and want us to picture Jesus rather accurately in our minds and hence He would be involved in the imagery of Jesus that would dominate!