Which translation do you think is the best English translation?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How can anyone think you can be with someone and be the someone you are with. How mysterious!
How can anybody who claims to believe in an Almighty God attempt to limit Him?
How faithless . . .

DavidB

Feb 22, 2022
Denver
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How can anybody who claims to believe in an Almighty God attempt to limit Him?
How faithless . . .
Of course God is limited. He can’t lie. He can’t be unjust. He also can’t accept those who love lies.

reformed1689

Oct 15, 2019
Somewhere in the USA
reformedtruths.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is a spin-off from another thread that concerns an update of the KJV, the subject of which has been polluted by KJVOs.

There is a plethora of English translations available today, ranging from those which tend toward a word-for-word rendition to those which are clearly paraphrases. Of course, it is impossible to create a perfect translation. The vocabulary, grammar, syntax, idioms, etc. of the source languages -- ancient Hebrew, Aramaic, and Koine Greek -- cannot be precisely rendered in any destination language, including English.

Additionally, no perfect copies of the Bible exist. The source documents are incomplete and differ from each other, sometimes significantly. Therefore, no English translation can be perfect. In my opinion, the best translations are those that convey what the earliest documents meant to those who heard them (there was almost universal illiteracy) and how they were interpreted in their culture.

My preference is the NET v2.1 It is well-written in clearly-understood modern English and is accompanied by more than 60,000(!) translator's notes that explain in detail why the words were chosen, what they mean in context, and clearly explain doctrinal issues.

So, why do you prefer your translation? Please explain in detail. Thanks.

P.S. This thread is not another venue for KJVOs to claim that their version is perfect. There is another thread to espouse that nonsense.
I shy away from the word "BEST"
But translations that I find personally useful are:

ESV
NASB95
NIV84
NLT
NKJV
LEB
CSB

Reactions: Jim B

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So tell me, can God lie?
No - but that's not a "limitation" of His,
Its a POWER over sin. It's anything BUT a limitation.

YOUR ideas about God are warped.
What a limited and impotent little god you've invented for yourself . . .

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And therein lies your problem . . .

Why can't you be honest? You took part of what David B said instead of his complete post -- Of course God is limited. He can’t lie. He can’t be unjust. He also can’t accept those who love lies -- and put your own distortion on it.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why can't you be honest? You took part of what David B said instead of his complete post -- Of course God is limited. He can’t lie. He can’t be unjust. He also can’t accept those who love lies -- and put your own distortion on it.
I'm always hoinest on this forum.

He, like YOU made the blunder of saying that God is limited because He can't lie. I responded by showing that this is NOT a "limitation" of God's - but a complete POWER over sin. I

If you call that a limitation - then YOU are asa ignorant of Scripture as @DavidB . . .

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We disagree Bread.
How can anyone think you can be with someone and be the someone you are with. How mysterious![/QUOTE]

Amen to that David. Very likely that many will openly say it is a mystery when reasoning with them.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm always hoinest on this forum.

He, like YOU made the blunder of saying that God is limited because He can't lie. I responded by showing that this is NOT a "limitation" of God's - but a complete POWER over sin. I

If you call that a limitation - then YOU are asa ignorant of Scripture as @DavidB . . .

"I'm always hoinest [sic] on this forum" shows that you are clearly deluded.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"I'm always hoinest [sic] on this forum" shows that you are clearly deluded.
And, unless you can point tpo a single lie on my part - your statement is as impotemt as your knowledge of Scripture . . .

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In your opinion, which is worth zilch.

At least I am literate!
And unless you can show that I'm not - that remark is also impootent.

Bottom line - if you can't show an instance where I've been "dishonest", as YOU have implied - then your accusation is worthless (and dishonest) . . .

DavidB

Feb 22, 2022
Denver
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, God lied to over 400 prophets and commanded a Spirit do the lying on his behalf.
All that angel did was move those 400 false prophets to continue saying what they had been saying and what wicked King Ahab wanted to hear.

God will turn people over to the lie.
“But the lawless one’s presence is by the operation of Satan with every powerful work and lying signs and wonders and every unrighteous deceptio for those who are perishing, as a retribution because they did not accept the love of the truth in order that they might be saved. That is why God lets a deceptive influence mislead them so that they may come to believe the lie in order that they all may be judged because they did not believe the truth but took pleasure in unrighteousness.”
2 Thessalonians 2:9-12

The Bible says God cannot lie so I guess you can decide if he was really lying or not.

Reactions: Aunty Jane

DavidB

Feb 22, 2022
Denver
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Kings 22:19–23 Speaks for itself. Are you denying God commanded a Spirit to lie to 400 prophets?
Titus 1:1, 2
Paul, a slave of God and an apostle of Jesus Christ according to the faith of God’s chosen ones and the accurate knowledge of the truth that is according to godly devotion and is based on a hope of the everlasting life that God, who cannot lie, promised long ago.

Do you have any reason to think this verse is mistranslated? Do you believe the Bible is inspired and cannot contradict itself? I suggest you carefully read 1 Kings again with those questions in mind. Perhaps look at various translations. Believing that what Titus 1:1, 2 says is critical. Our hope of everlasting life depends on our belief that God cannot lie. And as 2 Thess 2:9-12 says:
“God lets a deceptive influence mislead them so that they may come to believe the lie in order that they all may be judged because they did not believe the truth but took pleasure in unrighteousness.”

He is still allowing that today.

Have a pleasant evening.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you have any reason to think this verse is mistranslated?

No but I have plent of reasons to question dubious interpretations that contradict explicit text.

What I quoted is proof text that God lies and commands lies. What you quoted but overlooked is based on a hope.

He is still allowing that today.

You can’t differentiate between allowing, commanding and doing the act yourself?

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, God lied to over 400 prophets and commanded a Spirit do the lying on his behalf.
What I quoted is proof text that God lies and commands lies. What you quoted but overlooked is based on a hope.
This forum is infected with Biblical illiteracy - and you're no different.

God didn't "lie" to anybodDy in 1 Kings 22:19-23 - ANYMORE than He -
- Allowed Satan to perform all manner of evil against His servant Job (Job 1:5-33).
- allowed Paul to be buffeted by a demon (2 Cor. 12:7) in order to strengthen him.
- Allows YOU to lie and cheat and commit ALL manner of sins.

God didn't DO any of these things.
He ALLOWS them to happen for the greater good.

God is SOVEREIGHN - He's not evil. God doesn't lie - NOR can Scripture contradict itself.
ONLY a Biblical illiterate like yourself would think so . . ..

Reactions: Illuminator