Which translation do you think is the best English translation?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are neither an apostle nor a prophet.

Your tone is unbecoming AS IF he has to be an apostle or prophet to make a valid point.

There’s no need to quote the whole verse to make a point? Psalm 14:1a and Psalm 53:1b in the ESV both say “There is no God.”

Verses are not sentences. Quoting part is for brevity sake, not deception sake. For instance, Sean Hannity frequently quotes a portion of John 14:1, let your heart not be troubled.

Berserk

Apr 13, 2019
Colville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As already noted, in Greek predicate nouns are generally anarthous, i. e. without the article (see Blass-Debrunner's Greek grammar #273).
But there is a more important Johannine reason for translating "the Word was God." This affirmation forms a literary inclusion with 20:28, where Thomas confesses Jesus as "my God"--Greek "ho theos mou." Note the use of the definite article "ho" (="the"). These 2 affirmations represent John's affirmative answer to the charge in this Gospel that Jess was making Himself God (5:18; 10:33). If John 1:1 intends to identify Jesus as merely "a god," then the definite article would have been omitted from Thomas's confession.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your tone is unbecoming AS IF he has to be an apostle or prophet to make a valid point.

Verses are not sentences. Quoting part is for brevity sake, not deception sake. For instance, Sean Hannity frequently quotes a portion of John 14:1, let your heart not be troubled.

Sean Hannity frequently quotes a portion of John 14:1? Well that certainly settles it -- not. Here is a portion of Psalm 14:1: “There is no God.”

BTW, he was the one who compared himself to prophets and apostles.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sean Hannity frequently quotes a portion of John 14:1? Well that certainly settles it -- not. Here is a portion of Psalm 14:1: “There is no God.”

BTW, he was the one who compared himself to prophets and apostles.
You do not have the fruit of the Spirit but are petty.

has anyone Claimed that some 14:1 means or says there is no god?

Last edited:
Reactions: Michiah-Imla

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You do not have the fruit of the Spirit but are petty.

That just shows that you're a poor judge of character and who has the fruit of the Spirit and who doesn't. Your posts clearly show who you are BTW: mean-spirited. You remind me of how the Pharisees misjudged Jesus with the same kind of jealousy and meanness as you clearly show.

DavidB

Feb 22, 2022
Denver
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No but I have plent of reasons to question dubious interpretations that contradict explicit text.

What I quoted is proof text that God lies and commands lies. What you quoted but overlooked is based on a hope.

You can’t differentiate between allowing, commanding and doing the act yourself?
The hope is not that God cannot lie. The hope is “of the everlasting life that God…. promised long ago. The reason we can be sure of that hope is that the one who made that promise, God, cannot lie. It just doesn’t get more “explicit” than that. So if you believe that “all scripture is inspired of God” the account in 1 Kings 22 has to be reconciled. But if you prefer calling the Almighty God, the Creator of the universe a liar, that is your choice. I certainly do not ever want to be standing anywhere near you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jim B

Berserk

Apr 13, 2019
Colville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Early OT texts don't distinguish between the active and permissive will of God.
Interpretation should accomodatet this cultural linguistic difference.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The hope is not that God cannot lie.

It is for Scripture explicitly says God lied 100’s of times. Ez 14:9 “‘And if a prophet is deceived into giving a message, it is because I, the LORD, have deceived that prophet.

Obviously people are making an idol of YHWH to be and act contrary to Scripture. Not sure what more evidence you require than YHWH explicitly admitting he lied and commanding others to lie.

DavidB

Feb 22, 2022
Denver
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is for Scripture explicitly says God lied 100’s of times. Ez 14:9 “‘And if a prophet is deceived into giving a message, it is because I, the LORD, have deceived that prophet.

Obviously people are making an idol of YHWH to be and act contrary to Scripture. Not sure what more evidence you require than YHWH explicitly admitting he lied and commanding others to lie.

I’m still waiting for you to reconcile Titus 1:2.
Based on your thinking, God telling us he gave his only begotten Son so we can have everlasting life could be a lie and we really don’t have any hope.

Reactions: Jim B

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’m still waiting for you to reconcile Titus 1:2.
Based on your thinking, God telling us he gave his only begotten Son so we can have everlasting life could be a lie and we really don’t have any hope.

Not sure what reconciliation you are looking for as I perceive none. Just because God can and does lie (as Scripture shows over and over again) does not mean we have no hope.

If anything, it is you who has to reconcile in your own mind, if God lied about the pathway to everlasting life? For me, the answer is no.

In another thread from a few years ago we delved into this. In short, deception is a tool of warfare and God is fighting a Spiritual war. Deceiving ones enemies has purpose as does telling the truth to your children's benefit. Hope this helps.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
My favorite is my NKJV because it is the only one I found in Super Giant print at the store. (Better that giant print.) Easy to read.
I also use other online Bible and have a giant print KJV at home, but this Bible is awesome to read because I can read it w/o distressing my eyes.
I would love to have a notebook Bible in this size or even a supergiant with lots of writing space

238089_3_exc.jpg
@Cassandra I do indeed think print size is an important issue that is not considered sufficiently (........especially by ppl with younger eyes...!)