Who Do I Confess My Sins To?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Only God and Christ can forgive sins, and confession of sins should be to Him alone.
At the same time the King James translators were correct in using the word "faults" in James 5:16: Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.
The modern translations and the Catholic bible have changed that to "sins". THAT WAS A DELIBERATE CORRUPTION of the Received Text, and it suits the Catholic Church mighty fine. Which also tells us that doctrine is indeed affected by the corruption of Bible texts.

CORRUPTED CRITICAL TEXT
ἐξομολογεῖσθε οὖν ἀλλήλοις τὰς ἁμαρτίας καὶ προσεύχεσθε / εὔχεσθε ὑπὲρ ἀλλήλων, ὅπως ἰαθῆτε. πολὺ ἰσχύει δέησις δικαίου ἐνεργουμένη.
[ ἁμαρτίας (hamartias) = sins]

RECEIVED TEXT (as seen in four texts)
RP Byzantine Majority Text 2005
Ἐξομολογεῖσθε ἀλλήλοις τὰ παραπτώματα, καὶ εὔχεσθε ὑπὲρ ἀλλήλων, ὅπως ἰαθῆτε. Πολὺ ἰσχύει δέησις δικαίου ἐνεργουμένη.
[παραπτώματα (paraptomata) = faults* (Strong's G3900)]

Greek Orthodox Church 1904
ἐξομολογεῖσθε ἀλλήλοις τὰ παραπτώματα, καὶ εὔχεσθε ὑπὲρ ἀλλήλων, ὅπως ἰαθῆτε· πολὺ ἰσχύει δέησις δικαίου ἐνεργουμένη.
Scrivener's Textus Receptus 1894
ἐξομολογεῖσθε ἀλλήλοις τὰ παραπτώματα, καὶ εὔχεσθε ὑπὲρ ἀλλήλων, ὅπως ἰαθῆτε. πολὺ ἰσχύει δέησις δικαίου ἐνεργουμένη.
Stephanus Textus Receptus 1550
ἐξομολογεῖσθε ἀλλήλοις τὰ παραπτώματα, καὶ εὔχεσθε ὑπὲρ ἀλλήλων ὅπως ἰαθῆτε πολὺ ἰσχύει δέησις δικαίου ἐνεργουμένη

* a lapse or deviation from truth and uprightness (Strong's)
* a lapse or deviation from truth and uprightness; a sin, misdeed (R.V. trespass, 'differing from ἁμάρτημα...) (Thayer's)
WRONG.

You can bark ALL you want about this being a "corruption" of the text - but the Greek word used in James 5:16 (ham-ar-tee'-ah) is the SAME word used in John 20:23, where Jesus gives the Apostles the power to forgive SINS (ham-ar-tee'-ah).

Why has NOBODY addressed @Mungo's Biblical proof that Jesus gave His Apostles the power to FORGIVE or RETAIN sins??

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
1 John 1:9 says, "If we confess our sin, then God is faithful and just to forgive us our sin and cleanse us from all unrighteousness".

This Scripture implies that we confess our sins to God, and it is not necessary to confess them to anyone else, because no one is faithful and just like God to totally forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

The problem with confessing sin to others, is that the confession can be used the wrong way, and published in areas where we would not wish them to be. I was in a church where people went to the elders for counselling, and the elders went home and told their wives, and the problems came out publicly in the church prayer meetings. This was a total breach of confidentiality.

I don't confess my sins to anyone but God, because He is the one who forgives and forgets and buries my sins in the deepest sea of His forgetfulness and puts up a sign "No Fishing". If I confess my sins to anyone else, there is no guarantee that they will forget them, and this would not be to my advantage or benefit. I confess my sins to the Person who is able to forgive.

I would never confess my sins to a priest, because nowhere in Scripture does it support that a man acting as a priest has the god-given right to forgive sins. Even the Jewish leaders said about Jesus when He forgave the paralytic his sins, "Who but God can forgive sins?" So, a priest giving absolution has not value to God at all, and it is nonsense for a priest to declare a person forgiven, when that person has never and never will repent of that sin in his or her heart. Only God knows the hearts, and knows that when we confess our sins to Him and our heart is in it, He knows that He can forgive and forget our sin because we have genuinely repented of it and is willing to forsake it.

Also, I am not a fan of these people who publicly "testify" of their past sinful life and how they were on drugs, went to prostitutes, committed crimes, to great details before they came to Christ. How can they relate all this if they have genuinely repented, confessed to God and God having forgiven, forgotten, and buried their sinful life in the deepest sea of His forgetfulness. Are they not grieving the Holy Spirit by dredging up their past sins? Is not that an insult to God? I think that there is an element of pride in the fact that they were great sinners and God did them a great favour by saving them!

There are things in my past that I am not proud of, but I know that God has forgotten about them. If they came back to mind, I treat the memories as the devil bringing them up to shame me and to corrupt my faith in the forgiveness of God.

I can understand how you feel if you have been dealt with improperly. That is enough to put you off talking to anyone.

Personally I find that having been involved in a ministry that reaches out to the dregs of society, it is very inspiring to read about someone who had broken a habit through the power and grace of God i.e. drugs and it often can be a catalyst for someone struggling with the same problem to get free of it.

I remember going to a meeting where the speaker was a young man who had a problem with alcohol. He admitted he was an angry young man and his only desire in life was to get drunk every weekend in which he succeeded.

One weekend he was walking home and he fell into the gutter and was unable to get up again because he was so drunk. Whilst lying there Jesus appeared to him and spoke to him. He got up totally sober and his life now is full of a desire to share the gospel with anyone who will listen.

It is hard to deny a story like that so it is worth telling because it shows the glory and power of God at work.

Paul Christensen

Mar 2, 2020
Christchurch
www.personal-communication.org.nz
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I can understand how you feel if you have been dealt with improperly. That is enough to put you off talking to anyone.

Personally I find that having been involved in a ministry that reaches out to the dregs of society, it is very inspiring to read about someone who had broken a habit through the power and grace of God i.e. drugs and it often can be a catalyst for someone struggling with the same problem to get free of it.

I remember going to a meeting where the speaker was a young man who had a problem with alcohol. He admitted he was an angry young man and his only desire in life was to get drunk every weekend in which he succeeded.

One weekend he was walking home and he fell into the gutter and was unable to get up again because he was so drunk. Whilst lying there Jesus appeared to him and spoke to him. He got up totally sober and his life now is full of a desire to share the gospel with anyone who will listen.

It is hard to deny a story like that so it is worth telling because it shows the glory and power of God at work.
That is very inspiring, and the fruit of the encounter shows its genuineness.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
For one...2 Corinthians 2:7 (KJV) So that contrariwise ye ought rather to forgive him, and comfort him, lest perhaps such a one should be swallowed up with overmuch sorrow.
The Church as a whole is told to forgive an offender, not just an apostle or their 'successor'.

That still doesn't attempt to reply to the points I made imn post #9

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus said, Such irony, to give so much truth in love, to receive such hate. (from those opposed to Jesus)
Your view is noted, and fits perfect with what Jesus says.

That's hate filled article that has no substance just hate.

"Let the weak say I am strong" in Jesus, not in themselves, as written.
The little children, not the scholars, shall lead...
The sheep are defenseless creatures against the many wolves all around...
Only the Shepherd's CONSTANT CARE OF US protects us and keeps us guarded in Himself, His Way, in Perfect Peace (this is one sure sign we are His, even a sign to our enemies that we are sheep of JESUS! ) ...

The weakest member is protected by Jesus, the Perfect Shepherd, and is safe from those demons,
and delivered by Jesus when there is or was or has been trouble and deception.

The educated ones? If they do not give up everything also, they don't have a chance. (as written in Scripture, the Father HIDES SALVATION from them)

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That still doesn't attempt to reply to the points I made imn post #9
Yes it did, it ‘attempted’, you just didn’t agree. Your points had to do with ‘in whose authority?’, the Scripture I gave made clear ‘whose authority’ can sins be forgiven.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But Jesus, knowing their thoughts, said, “Why do you think evil in your hearts? For which is easier, to say, ‘Your sins are forgiven,’ or to say, ‘Rise and walk’? But that you may know that the Son of man has authority on earth to forgive sins”—he then said to the paralytic—“Rise, take up your bed and go home.” And he rose and went home. When the crowds saw it, they were afraid, and they glorified God, who had given such authority to men. (Mt 9:4-8)

And Jesus said to the apostles:
"Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained.(Jn 20:22-23)

Just previously he had said to them:
“Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, even so I send you.”

Jesus was sent with the power and authority to forgive and retain sins (see Mt 9:4-8 above).

Jesus was sent with the power and authority to pass on this power and authority to forgive and retain sins.

He passed on this power and authority to forgive and retain sins to specific individuals - the Apostles (see Jn 20:22-23 above)

He also sent them in the same manner God the Father sent Him (see Jn 20:21 above), which means he passed on his power and authority to pass on his power and authority . .

So the Apostles not only received the power and authority to forgive and retain sins, they also received the power and authority to pass this on to others.

And they did . . and those they passed it on to passed it on to others, and those others passed it on to others, and those others passed it on to others. . and so forth through the centuries and millennia and still those others have the authority and power to forgive and retain sins and to pass that authority onto others.

They are called Bishops and priests.
Not saying that you're right or wrong, but consider this. these men had the Holy Spirit who controled them. for none of them as men forgave sin, for all sin is aganist God. as one poster had it right confess our "faults", James 5:16 "Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much". well that's between those two parties. and if someone have this, Matthew 18:15 "Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother. (NOW when one go to their brother or sister, it's between the two parties... "ALONE"),,, but,
Matthew 18:16 "But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.
Matthew 18:17 "And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican.
Matthew 18:18 "Verily I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.
Matthew 18:19 "Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven.
Matthew 18:20 "For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.

"I in the midst of them" so it's Christ in these men or women. so is not the Holy Spirit, Christ in all the BODY of the
Chruch? yes, so these men and women in christ who have the Holy Ghost as was with the apostles, (which they are not an exclusive group who have the Spirit ONLY), they are just as much as part of the church as any other member when it get to the CHURCH. so when you quoted, and said,
"Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained.
” that was not for the apostles only, but as the body of the Church as said, in Matthew 18:15-20.

so this only a priest that is a man or woman can only forgive sin is a False teaching. Matthew 18:15-20. prove that out.

so before you come to God, get it right with your brother and sister... if you tresspass aganist ... THEM. if they want hear, get a second witness. if need be take it to the Church, which includes the apostles, and priest, and everyone else.

PICJAG.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not saying that you're right or wrong, but consider this. these men had the Holy Spirit who controled them. for none of them as men forgave sin, for all sin is aganist God. as one poster had it right confess our "faults", James 5:16 "Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much". well that's between those two parties. and if someone have this, Matthew 18:15 "Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother. (NOW when one go to their brother or sister, it's between the two parties... "ALONE"),,, but,
Matthew 18:16 "But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.
Matthew 18:17 "And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican.
Matthew 18:18 "Verily I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.
Matthew 18:19 "Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven.
Matthew 18:20 "For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.

"I in the midst of them" so it's Christ in these men or women. so is not the Holy Spirit, Christ in all the BODY of the
Chruch? yes, so these men and women in christ who have the Holy Ghost as was with the apostles, (which they are not an exclusive group who have the Spirit ONLY), they are just as much as part of the church as any other member when it get to the CHURCH. so when you quoted, and said,
"Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained.” that was not for the apostles only, but as the body of the Church as said, in Matthew 18:15-20.

so this only a priest that is a man or woman can only forgive sin is a False teaching. Matthew 18:15-20. prove that out.

so before you come to God, get it right with your brother and sister... if you tresspass aganist ... THEM. if they want hear, get a second witness. if need be take it to the Church, which includes the apostles, and priest, and everyone else.

PICJAG.

You completely misunderstand Matt. 18:15-18.

Verse 17 clearly states:
If they still refuse to listen, tell it to the church; and if they refuse to listen even to the church, treat them as you would a pagan or a tax collector.

So, tell me - WHO in the Church is this referring to? Verse 16 tells us that THREE other members of the Church are already involved - so WHO else in the Church is this referring to ??

This verse illustrates Church Authority, as does Matt. 16:18-19, Luke 10:16, John 16:12-15 and John 20:21-23 - YOUR denials notwithstanding. This correlates perfectly with John 20:21-23, where Jesus gives the leaders of His Church the power to forgive or retain sins in His name.

Reactions: Mungo

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I did but it got derailed by someone trying to 'make their point'.
I guess you're referring to your post #37, where you stated:
For one...2 Corinthians 2:7 (KJV) So that contrariwise ye ought rather to forgive him, and comfort him, lest perhaps such a one should be swallowed up with overmuch sorrow.
The Church as a whole is told to forgive an offender, not just an apostle or their 'successor'.
This doesn't address what Jesus told the Apostles in the Upper room in John 20:21-23.

In John 20:21-23, Jesus (who is God) breathes on the Apostles as he is giving them this power:
Jesus said to them again, "Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I send you."
And when he had said this, he BREATHED on them and said to them, "Receive the holy Spirit. Whose sins you forgive are forgiven them, and whose sins you retain are retained."

The fact that Jesus "breathed" on the Apostles when entrusted them with this ministry is highly significant because he doesn’t do this anywhere else in the New Testament. In fact, there are only two times in ALL of Scripture where God "breathes" on man:

1. The first is when he breathed life into Adam.
2. The second is here in John’s Gospel when he is giving them the power to forgive or retain sins.

Paul makes NO small case for this ministry of reconciliation in 2 Cor. 5:18-20 where he writes:
“And all this is from God, who has reconciled us to himself through Christ and given US the ministry of reconciliation, namely, God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting their trespasses against them and entrusting to US the message of reconciliation. So WE are ambassadors for Christ, as if God were appealing through US. WE implore you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God.”

Notice the use of the words "WE" and "US". This is NOT referring to ALL Christians - but to the leadership to whom this power was given.

In 2 Cor. 2:10, he states:
“Whomever you forgive anything, so do I. For indeed what I have forgiven, if I have forgiven anything, has been for you in the presence of Christ.

In the Greek, the word “presence” in this phrase is Prosopone, which means Person. In the PERSON of Christ is a more correct translation. Paul was indicating that they were forgiving sins in the PERSON of Christ, which is translated into Latin as In Persona Christi.

The priests forgives sins in the name of Christ, person of Christ, as per the Scriptures.

Reactions: Mungo

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You completely misunderstand Matt. 18:15-18.
Verse 17 clearly states:
If they still refuse to listen, tell it to the church; and if they refuse to listen even to the church, treat them as you would a pagan or a tax collector.

So, tell me - WHO in the Church is this referring to? Verse 16 tells us that THREE other members of the Church are already involved - so WHO else in the Church is this referring to ??

This verse illustrates Church Authority, as does Matt. 16:18-19, Luke 10:16, John 16:12-15 and John 20:21-23 - YOUR denials notwithstanding. This correlates perfectly with John 20:21-23, where Jesus gives the leaders of His Church the power to forgive or retain sins in His name.
"So, tell me - WHO in the Church is this referring to? Verse 16 tells us that THREE other members of the Church are already involved - so WHO else in the Church is this referring to ??" church members, scriptures, in example, 1 Corinthians 6:1 "Dare any of you, having a matter against another, go to law before the unjust, and not before the saints?
1 Corinthians 6:2 "Do ye not know that the saints shall judge the world? and if the world shall be judged by you, are ye unworthy to judge the smallest matters?
1 Corinthians 6:3 "Know ye not that we shall judge angels? how much more things that pertain to this life?
1 Corinthians 6:4 "If then ye have judgments of things pertaining to this life, set them to judge who are least esteemed in the church. (NOT ANY BISHOP, OR PASTOR, OR OFFICER IN THE CHURCH, BUT THE LAY MEMBERSHIP.
1 Corinthians 6:5 "I speak to your shame. Is it so, that there is not a wise man among you? no, not one that shall be able to judge between his brethren?

so bol, if the "saint" can judge the world, it cannot judge one another. see the lie now. the two or three is lay people. not only is it men, "I speak to your shame", but men ignorance in the word of God.

PICJAG.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"So, tell me - WHO in the Church is this referring to? Verse 16 tells us that THREE other members of the Church are already involved - so WHO else in the Church is this referring to ??" church members, scriptures, in example, 1 Corinthians 6:1 "Dare any of you, having a matter against another, go to law before the unjust, and not before the saints?
1 Corinthians 6:2 "Do ye not know that the saints shall judge the world? and if the world shall be judged by you, are ye unworthy to judge the smallest matters?
1 Corinthians 6:3 "Know ye not that we shall judge angels? how much more things that pertain to this life?
1 Corinthians 6:4 "If then ye have judgments of things pertaining to this life, set them to judge who are least esteemed in the church. (NOT ANY BISHOP, OR PASTOR, OR OFFICER IN THE CHURCH, BUT THE LAY MEMBERSHIP.
1 Corinthians 6:5 "I speak to your shame. Is it so, that there is not a wise man among you? no, not one that shall be able to judge between his brethren?

so bol, if the "saint" can judge the world, it cannot judge one another. see the lie now. the two or three is lay people. not only is it men, "I speak to your shame", but men ignorance in the word of God.
Tell me - what is meant by the following passage of Scripture?

John 20:21-23
Jesus said to them again, "Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I send YOU ."
And when he had said this, he BREATHED on them and said to them, "Receive the holy Spirit. Whose sins YOU FORGIVE are forgiven them, and whose sins YOU RETAIN are retained."

What did Jesus mean when He told this to the Apostles?
What did the Father send Him to do that He is now sending the Apostles to do??

Please leave out your Scriptural acrobatics and just explain this simple text.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Tell me - what is meant by the following passage of Scripture?

John 20:21-23
Jesus said to them again, "Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I send YOU ."
And when he had said this, he BREATHED on them and said to them, "Receive the holy Spirit. Whose sins YOU FORGIVE are forgiven them, and whose sins YOU RETAIN are retained."

What did Jesus mean when He told this to the Apostles?
What did the Father send Him to do that He is now sending the Apostles to do??

Please leave out your Scriptural acrobatics and just explain this simple text.
LOL, a straw man argument. right in your eyes you're blind, it is the church, for "WITHOUT ME YOU CAN DO NOTHING". that that include the apostles, LOL, LOL, LOL, John 15:4 "Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.
John 15:5 "I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing". LOL, LOL, LOL, man oh man when will they ever learn.

now one more on your level of scripture, Matthew 10:19 "But when they deliver you up, take no thought how or what ye shall speak: for it shall be given you in that same hour what ye shall speak.
Matthew 10:20 "For it is not ye that speak, but the Spirit of your Father which speaketh in you".

see how dumb that is trying to do something without the Spirit. NO, it's not you.... LOL. but God. U.... YOU are NOTHING when it comes to your sisters and brothers, there is NO RESPECT of .... person with God. :D

silly men try their best to try to have power over their brothers and sisters. leadership means the "FIRST" to "SERVE", :eek:

PICJAG.

Reactions: Joseph77

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why has NOBODY addressed @Mungo's Biblical proof that Jesus gave His Apostles the power to FORGIVE or RETAIN sins??
it has been address see post #50.... :rolleyes:

which if you would have read it, then you would't have aske the unbecoming question you has asked... :confused:

PICJAG.

Reactions: Joseph77

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Jesus said, Such irony, to give so much truth in love, to receive such hate. (from those opposed to Jesus)
Your view is noted, and fits perfect with what Jesus says.

"Let the weak say I am strong" in Jesus, not in themselves, as written.
The little children, not the scholars, shall lead...
The sheep are defenseless creatures against the many wolves all around...
Only the Shepherd's CONSTANT CARE OF US protects us and keeps us guarded in Himself, His Way, in Perfect Peace (this is one sure sign we are His, even a sign to our enemies that we are sheep of JESUS! ) ...

The weakest member is protected by Jesus, the Perfect Shepherd, and is safe from those demons,
and delivered by Jesus when there is or was or has been trouble and deception.

The educated ones? If they do not give up everything also, they don't have a chance. (as written in Scripture, the Father HIDES SALVATION from them)

Are you trying to justify posting that hate filled article?

If not what is the point of this drivel?

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God Himself Reveals the .... enemy. You hate the Light, and fight against it.

Reactions: 101G

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I guess you're referring to your post #37, where you stated:

This doesn't address what Jesus told the Apostles in the Upper room in John 20:21-23.

In John 20:21-23, Jesus (who is God) breathes on the Apostles as he is giving them this power:
Jesus said to them again, "Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I send you."
And when he had said this, he BREATHED on them and said to them, "Receive the holy Spirit. Whose sins you forgive are forgiven them, and whose sins you retain are retained."

The fact that Jesus "breathed" on the Apostles when entrusted them with this ministry is highly significant because he doesn’t do this anywhere else in the New Testament. In fact, there are only two times in ALL of Scripture where God "breathes" on man:

1. The first is when he breathed life into Adam.
2. The second is here in John’s Gospel when he is giving them the power to forgive or retain sins.

Paul makes NO small case for this ministry of reconciliation in 2 Cor. 5:18-20 where he writes:
“And all this is from God, who has reconciled us to himself through Christ and given US the ministry of reconciliation, namely, God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting their trespasses against them and entrusting to US the message of reconciliation. So WE are ambassadors for Christ, as if God were appealing through US. WE implore you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God.”

Notice the use of the words "WE" and "US". This is NOT referring to ALL Christians - but to the leadership to whom this power was given.

In 2 Cor. 2:10, he states:
“Whomever you forgive anything, so do I. For indeed what I have forgiven, if I have forgiven anything, has been for you in the presence of Christ.

In the Greek, the word “presence” in this phrase is Prosopone, which means Person. In the PERSON of Christ is a more correct translation. Paul was indicating that they were forgiving sins in the PERSON of Christ, which is translated into Latin as In Persona Christi.

The priests forgives sins in the name of Christ, person of Christ, as per the Scriptures.
So what are you saying, now that the apostles have passed on, there is no forgiveness of sins?
Even John who you quoted from his writings in chap 20, wrote this as well...
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
(1Jn 1:9)

And Paul also wrote this...
For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus; (1Ti 2:5)...so there is no room for sacerdotalism.

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The false gospel and false teachings and false traditions have never been able to live in Christ Jesus,

and they cannot forgive anyone's sins - they can though charge money ....

So what are you saying, now that the apostles have passed on, there is no forgiveness of sins?