Who Do I Confess My Sins To?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When we testify that we were once addicts... thieves... Blasphemers... Idolators etc etc, and are now living free from bondage and sin, we accomplish two things. We testify to the power, and the love, and the grace of a God Who keeps His promises. Second, we give confidence to those struggling with sin that God can and does work miracles. It gives hope. And brings glory to God.
There's more ! (YEAH! :) )

"We overcome BY THE WORD OF OUR TESTIMONY (of JESUS), and by the BLOOD OF THE LAMB (JESUS)."

Study Bible
The War in Heaven
…10And I heard a loud voice in heaven, saying:

“Now have come the salvation and the power and the kingdom of our God, and

the authority of His Christ.

For the accuser of our brothers has been thrown down—he who accuses them day and night before our God.

They have conquered him by the blood of the Lamb and
by the word of their testimony; and

they did not love their lives so as to shy away from death.
(willing joyous martyrs)

12Therefore rejoice, O heavens, and you who dwell in them! But woe to the earth and the sea; with great fury the devil has come down to you, knowing he has only a short time.”…
Berean Study Bible · Download

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Look at Post #59. I never posted it in red.
You forgot to read on, there are further qualifications to be an Apostle...
For it is written in the book of Psalms, Let his habitation be desolate, and let no man dwell therein: and his bishoprick let another take. Wherefore of these men which have companied with us all the time that the Lord Jesus went in and out among us, Beginning from the baptism of John, unto that same day that he was taken up from us, must one be ordained to be a witness with us of his resurrection.
(Act 1:20-22)

And John?...
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
(1Jn 1:9)
There is another way to be absolved other than private absolution from another sinner pretending to have a one-upmanship on God's flock.
And YOU forget that Acts 1:20 is talking about the office of BISHOP (Episkopay) - "Let another take his BISHOPRIC".

The office of Bishop did NOT require that the person needed to have accompanied the apostles or witnessed the Resurrection.
Apostolic succession includes all of the BISHOPS ordained in the line of the Apostles, who were the first Bishops - and therein lies the Authority of the Church.

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
is it really so hard to confess to the one sinned against, right out in public?
Yes it is. Hopefully it can be done in private to that individual before it has to go public. Mt 18:15-17

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And YOU forget that Acts 1:20 is talking about the office of BISHOP (Episkopay) - "Let another take his BISHOPRIC".

The office of Bishop did NOT require that the person needed to have accompanied the apostles or witnessed the Resurrection.
Apostolic succession includes all of the BISHOPS ordained in the line of the Apostles, who were the first Bishops - and therein lies the Authority of the Church.
Why do you 'redden' my words and then act like I did it?

Peter was quoting the Psalms (109:8 to be exact) which means the original word he is quoting was in Hebrew...
Psalm 109:8 (KJV) Let his days be few; and let another take his office.
H6486. פְּקֻדָּה pequddāh: A feminine noun meaning an arrangement, an office, an officer, accounting. The root idea is something that is attended to or set in order. The word signifies the arrangement of fighting men under an officer (2 Chr. 17:14), of priests or Levites in an order (1 Chr. 23:11; 24:19); or the arrangement of the Tabernacle and its contents (Num. 4:16[2x]). It signifies the office of one in charge of something (Ps. 109:8); and the officers themselves (2 Kgs. 11:18; Isa. 60:17). Most often, the word means accounting and refers to a time of accounting when God attended to people’s actions, usually to call them to account for their sins (Num. 16:29; Jer. 48:44). In Job 10:12, however, God’s attention was for Job’s good.-CWSB Dictionary.
So you see, it doesn't mean what you are trying to make it mean.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

You argue over a "office" which is no such thing, that's a western world Idea, the term "office" is a work. if you want to be a bishop, apostle, prophet, teacher....ect.. you "WORK".

PICJAG.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why do you 'redden' my words and then act like I did it?

Peter was quoting the Psalms (109:8 to be exact) which means the original word he is quoting was in Hebrew...
Psalm 109:8 (KJV) Let his days be few; and let another take his office.

So you see, it doesn't mean what you are trying to make it mean.
I highlight words i RED only to emphasize the point I am addressing.
I never said that YOU highlighted them . . .

As for Acts 1:20 - yes, it IS a quote from Psalm 109, which is a prophecy about Judas.

The word in Hebrew (pek-ood-daw') means "office". However, the word used in Greek here in Acts 1:20 is "Episkopay" which means "Bishopric". Your Protestant KJV uses this word instead of "office" in Acts 1:20 . . .

Acts 1:20 (KJV)

For it is written in the book of Psalms, Let his habitation be desolate, and let no man dwell therein: and his bishoprick let another take.

The office of Bishop is a successive office.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You argue over a "office" which is no such thing, that's a western world Idea, the term "office" is a work. if you want to be a bishop, apostle, prophet, teacher....ect.. you "WORK".

PICJAG.
WRONG.
Read my last post #86.

You can whine ALL day long about the word "office" in Acts 1:20 - but the Greek word used here is "Episkopay" (Bishopric).
There is nothing you can do about that . . .

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
and his bishoprick let another take.
...and his OFFICE let another take.

Our word bishopric (Authorized Version) is from this word, office of bishop (episcopos). Only that is not the idea here, but over-seership (epi, skopeô) or office as in 1Pe 2:12. It means to visit and to inspect, to look over. The ecclesiastical sense comes later (1Ti 3:1)..Robertson's Word Pictures.

Even if it is a 'successive' office, it's qualifications are listed here and therefore there was no subsequent 'successive bishops' after the 2nd century.
Qualifications...

For it is written in the book of Psalms, Let his habitation be desolate, and let no man dwell therein: and his bishoprick let another take. Wherefore of these men which have companied with us all the time that the Lord Jesus went in and out among us, Beginning from the baptism of John, unto that same day that he was taken up from us, must one be ordained to be a witness with us of his resurrection.
(Act 1:20-22)
Besides this passage you have no further Scriptural support for a 'successive bishopric'.
Sacerdotalism just isn't warranted in Scripture. We have one High Priest and we are now priests unto God through Jesus Christ our Advocate and Mediator.
Re 1:6 And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.
Re 5:10 And hast made us unto our God kings and priests: and we shall reign on the earth.
Ephesians 2:18 (KJV) For through him we both have access by one Spirit unto the Father.

(as far as the red emboldening goes look at #67 where you assumed I reddened the posting. You seem to be the one that reddens your posts).

Last edited:
Reactions: Brakelite

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
WRONG.
Read my last post #86.

You can whine ALL day long about the word "office" in Acts 1:20 - but the Greek word used here is "Episkopay" (Bishopric).
There is nothing you can do about that . . .
May we ask you this is not Pastor and bishop and overseer interchangeable? yes or no?

second can an apostle be a bishop, pastor, and Prophet... ect yes or no?

Thanks in advance

PICJAG.

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 John 1:9 says, "If we confess our sin, then God is faithful and just to forgive us our sin and cleanse us from all unrighteousness".

This Scripture implies that we confess our sins to God, and it is not necessary to confess them to anyone else, because no one is faithful and just like God to totally forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

basically you are correct the only forgiveness that will count forever is the Lord God's, and He is the only trust worthy confidant in all things. but let us not forget that confessing a sin to one who you have sinned against is something the Lord likes to see. he does teach to go make it right with whom you have done wrong before coming to Him. though sure there may be mitigating circumstances to accomplish that in which case the Lord would let you know yea or nay on that.

Reactions: Paul Christensen

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
There's more ! (YEAH! :) )

"We overcome BY THE WORD OF OUR TESTIMONY (of JESUS), and by the BLOOD OF THE LAMB (JESUS)."

Study Bible
The War in Heaven
…10And I heard a loud voice in heaven, saying:

“Now have come the salvation and the power and the kingdom of our God, and

the authority of His Christ.

For the accuser of our brothers has been thrown down—he who accuses them day and night before our God.

They have conquered him by the blood of the Lamb and
by the word of their testimony; and

they did not love their lives so as to shy away from death.
(willing joyous martyrs)

12Therefore rejoice, O heavens, and you who dwell in them! But woe to the earth and the sea; with great fury the devil has come down to you, knowing he has only a short time.”…
Berean Study Bible · Download
Hi Joseph. That's an interesting one. Testimony is something that is produced before a judge right? By witnesses right? Elsewhere we read that the witness, that is us, keep the commandments of God and have the testimony of Jesus... Which is the spirit of prophecy. So those witnesses, in order for their testimony to be accepted, must be law abiding citizens. The more their good character can be arrested to, the more reliable their witness. And it is the testimony also of Jesus. As He testified to His Father and was a law abiding citizen, keeping His Father's commandments, so His testimony was true. He testified throughout His life that God is love. I think that ought to be out testimony also. And love is the fulfilling of the law. As our testimony reflects the love of God and our obedience to God's commandments (if ye love Me keep My commandments) we give power to that testimony, so others can then recognise Gods Spirit in us, which is a prophetic Spirit.
You follow that?

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
"In both Old and New Testaments, there are three ranks of priests, which are commonly referred to as the high priests, the ministerial priests, and the universal priests.

At the time of the Exodus the high priest was Aaron (Ex. 31:30), the ministerial priests were his four sons (Ex. 28:21; the sons were Nadab, Abihu, Eleazar, and Ithamar, the first two of which were killed for abusing their priestly duties), and the universal priests were the people of Israel as a whole (Exodus 19:6).

..... the three-fold model of the priesthood which was in use at the time of Aaron was carried over into the New Testament and thus we find there also a high priest, ministerial priests, and universal priests. In the New Testament age the high priest is Jesus Christ (Heb. 3:1), the ministerial priests are Christ's ordained ministers of the gospel (Rom. 15:16), and the universal priests are the entire Christian people (1 Peter. 2:5, 9).

....This [ministerial] priesthood is identical with the office of elder. In fact, the term "priest" is simply a shortened, English version of the Greek word for "elder" -- presbuteros -- as any dictionary will confirm."

(From The Office of New Testament Priest by James Akin)

Acts 14:23 (KJV) And when they had ordained them elders [presbuteros] in every church, and had prayed with fasting, they commended them to the Lord, on whom they believed.

According to Mark Boncore the Greek word presbuteros (Latin presbyteros) which is usually usually translated as 'elder,' "he Greek meaning is actually more adjectival -- being closer in meaning to "senior" -- as in a "senior citizen" or a "father" of the community (i.e. a "patriarch")."

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
We have but oen high priest

Heb_9:11 But Christ being come an high priest of good things to come, by a greater and more perfect tabernacle, not made with hands, that is to say, not of this building;
Heb_9:25 Nor yet that he should offer himself often, as the high priest entereth into the holy place every year with blood of others;

the rest

Joh 10:11 I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.
Joh 10:12 But he that is an hireling, and not the shepherd, whose own the sheep are not, seeth the wolf coming, and leaveth the sheep, and fleeth: and the wolf catcheth them, and scattereth the sheep.
Joh 10:13 The hireling fleeth, because he is an hireling, and careth not for the sheep.
Joh 10:14 I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine.

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
May we ask you this is not Pastor and bishop and overseer interchangeable? yes or no?

second can an apostle be a bishop, pastor, and Prophet... ect yes or no?

Thanks in advance

PICJAG.
James is called an apostle by St. Paul in Galatians 1:19 and 1 Corinthians 15:7. That James was the sole, “monarchical” bishop of Jerusalem is fairly apparent from Scripture also (Acts 12:17; 15:13, 19; 21:18; Gal 1:19; 2:12).

In the Septuagint (the Greek translation of the Old Testament), episkopos is used for overseer in various senses, for example:
  • officers (Jud 9:28; Is 60:17),
  • supervisors of funds (2 Chr 34:12, 17),
  • overseers of priests and Levites (Neh 11:9; 2 Ki 11:18), and of
  • temple and tabernacle functions (Num 4:16).
  • God is called episkopos at Job 20:29, referring to His role as Judge, and
  • Christ is an episkopos in 1 Peter 2:25 (RSV: Shepherd and Guardian of your souls).

The Council of Jerusalem (Acts 15:1-29) bears witness to a definite hierarchical, episcopal structure of government in the early Church. St. Peter, the chief elder (the office of pope) of the entire Church (1 Pet 5:1; cf. Jn 21:15-17), presided and issued the authoritative pronouncement (15:7-11). Then James, bishop of Jerusalem (kind of like the host-mayor of a conference) gives a concurring (Acts 15:14), concluding statement (15:13-29) . . .

Much historical and patristic evidence also exists for the bishopric of St. Peter at Rome. No one disputes the fact that St. Clement (d.c. 101) was the sole bishop of Rome a little later, or that St. Ignatius (d.c. 110) was the bishop at Antioch, starting around 69 A. D. Thus, the “monarchical” bishop is both a biblical concept and an unarguable fact of the early Church.

By the time we get to the mid-second century, virtually all historians hold that single bishops led each Christian community. This was to be the case in all Christendom, east and west, until Luther transferred this power to the secular princes in the 16th century, and the Anabaptist tradition eschewed ecclesiastical office either altogether or in large part. Today many denominations have no bishops whatsoever.

One may concede all the foregoing as true, yet deny apostolic succession, whereby these offices are passed down, or handed down, through the generations and centuries, much like sacred tradition. But this belief of the Catholic Church (along with Eastern Orthodoxy and Anglicanism) is also grounded in Scripture: St. Paul teaches us (Eph 2:20) that the Church is built on the foundation of the apostles, whom Christ Himself chose (Jn 6:70; Acts 1:2, 13; cf. Mt 16:18).

In Mark 6:30 the twelve original disciples of Jesus are called apostles, and Matthew 10:1-5 and Revelation 21:14 speak of the twelve apostles. After Judas defected, the remaining eleven Apostles appointed his successor, Matthias (Acts 1:20-26). Since Judas is called a bishop (episkopos) in this passage (1:20), then by logical extension all the apostles can be considered bishops (albeit of an extraordinary sort).

If the apostles are bishops, and one of them was replaced by another, after the death, resurrection, and ascension of Christ, then we have an explicit example of apostolic succession in the Bible, taking place before 35 A. D. In like fashion, St. Paul appears to be passing on his office to Timothy (2 Tim 4:1-6), shortly before his death, around 65 A.D. This succession shows an authoritative equivalency between apostles and bishops, who are the successors of the apostles.

As a corollary, we are also informed in Scripture that the Church itself is perpetual, infallible, and indefectible (Mt 16:18; Jn 14:26; 16:18). Why should the early Church be set up in one form and the later Church in another? All of this biblical data is harmonious with the ecclesiological views of the Catholic Church. There has been some development over the centuries, but in all essentials, the biblical Church and clergy and the Catholic Church and clergy are one and the same.

Apostles Became Bishops (Apostolic Succession)

Last edited:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Yes it is. Hopefully it can be done in private to that individual before it has to go public. Mt 18:15-17
wadr that strikes me as a different scenario, and not about confessing at all? And while i have no direct Quote for this, exactly, i would suggest that even what was done in secret be confessed in the light. Accuse in private, sure, i agree there

Last edited:

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
============================================================
QUOTE="Brakelite2, post: 729462, member: 8534"]Hi Joseph. That's an interesting one. Testimony is something that is produced before a judge right? By witnesses right? Elsewhere we read that the witness, that is us, keep the commandments of God and have the testimony of Jesus... Which is the spirit of prophecy. So those witnesses, in order for their testimony to be accepted, must be law abiding citizens. The more their good character can be arrested to, the more reliable their witness. And it is the testimony also of Jesus. As He testified to His Father and was a law abiding citizen, keeping His Father's commandments, so His testimony was true. He testified throughout His life that God is love. I think that ought to be out testimony also. And love is the fulfilling of the law. As our testimony reflects the love of God and our obedience to God's commandments (if ye love Me keep My commandments) we give power to that testimony, so others can then recognise Gods Spirit in us, which is a prophetic Spirit.
You follow that?
[/QUOTE
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]
Yes - obey God , always, as Jesus Taught and Lived Perfectly Obedient, Always.
Those which claim to be Christian, but disobey willingly (do not serve or worship God with their whole heart, without idolatry),
have no power of testimony in Jesus, and may not be covered by the Blood.
=================================================================

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
We have but oen high priest

Heb_9:11 But Christ being come an high priest of good things to come, by a greater and more perfect tabernacle, not made with hands, that is to say, not of this building;
Heb_9:25 Nor yet that he should offer himself often, as the high priest entereth into the holy place every year with blood of others;

the rest

Joh 10:11 I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.
Joh 10:12 But he that is an hireling, and not the shepherd, whose own the sheep are not, seeth the wolf coming, and leaveth the sheep, and fleeth: and the wolf catcheth them, and scattereth the sheep.
Joh 10:13 The hireling fleeth, because he is an hireling, and careth not for the sheep.
Joh 10:14 I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine.

I don't think anyone is disputing that.

Last edited:

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
James is called an apostle by St. Paul in Galatians 1:19 and 1 Corinthians 15:7. That James was the sole, “monarchical” bishop of Jerusalem is fairly apparent from Scripture also (Acts 12:17; 15:13, 19; 21:18; Gal 1:19; 2:12).

In the Septuagint (the Greek translation of the Old Testament), episkopos is used for overseer in various senses, for example:
  • officers (Jud 9:28; Is 60:17),
  • supervisors of funds (2 Chr 34:12, 17),
  • overseers of priests and Levites (Neh 11:9; 2 Ki 11:18), and of
  • temple and tabernacle functions (Num 4:16).
  • God is called episkopos at Job 20:29, referring to His role as Judge, and
  • Christ is an episkopos in 1 Peter 2:25 (RSV: Shepherd and Guardian of your souls).

The Council of Jerusalem (Acts 15:1-29) bears witness to a definite hierarchical, episcopal structure of government in the early Church. St. Peter, the chief elder (the office of pope) of the entire Church (1 Pet 5:1; cf. Jn 21:15-17), presided and issued the authoritative pronouncement (15:7-11). Then James, bishop of Jerusalem (kind of like the host-mayor of a conference) gives a concurring (Acts 15:14), concluding statement (15:13-29) . . .

Much historical and patristic evidence also exists for the bishopric of St. Peter at Rome. No one disputes the fact that St. Clement (d.c. 101) was the sole bishop of Rome a little later, or that St. Ignatius (d.c. 110) was the bishop at Antioch, starting around 69 A. D. Thus, the “monarchical” bishop is both a biblical concept and an unarguable fact of the early Church.

By the time we get to the mid-second century, virtually all historians hold that single bishops led each Christian community. This was to be the case in all Christendom, east and west, until Luther transferred this power to the secular princes in the 16th century, and the Anabaptist tradition eschewed ecclesiastical office either altogether or in large part. Today many denominations have no bishops whatsoever.

One may concede all the foregoing as true, yet deny apostolic succession, whereby these offices are passed down, or handed down, through the generations and centuries, much like sacred tradition. But this belief of the Catholic Church (along with Eastern Orthodoxy and Anglicanism) is also grounded in Scripture: St. Paul teaches us (Eph 2:20) that the Church is built on the foundation of the apostles, whom Christ Himself chose (Jn 6:70; Acts 1:2, 13; cf. Mt 16:18).

In Mark 6:30 the twelve original disciples of Jesus are called apostles, and Matthew 10:1-5 and Revelation 21:14 speak of the twelve apostles. After Judas defected, the remaining eleven Apostles appointed his successor, Matthias (Acts 1:20-26). Since Judas is called a bishop (episkopos) in this passage (1:20), then by logical extension all the apostles can be considered bishops (albeit of an extraordinary sort).

If the apostles are bishops, and one of them was replaced by another, after the death, resurrection, and ascension of Christ, then we have an explicit example of apostolic succession in the Bible, taking place before 35 A. D. In like fashion, St. Paul appears to be passing on his office to Timothy (2 Tim 4:1-6), shortly before his death, around 65 A.D. This succession shows an authoritative equivalency between apostles and bishops, who are the successors of the apostles.

As a corollary, we are also informed in Scripture that the Church itself is perpetual, infallible, and indefectible (Mt 16:18; Jn 14:26; 16:18). Why should the early Church be set up in one form and the later Church in another? All of this biblical data is harmonious with the ecclesiological views of the Catholic Church. There has been some development over the centuries, but in all essentials, the biblical Church and clergy and the Catholic Church and clergy are one and the same.

Apostles Became Bishops (Apostolic Succession)
GINOLJC to all, second thanks for your reply. so as you sum it up at the end, "but in all essentials, the biblical Church and clergy and the Catholic Church and clergy are one and the same". Good to hear that, because a bishop, overseer.. ect is what is called a Pastor. now since they all are the same, my next question is this, in the biblical Church, WHICH MANY CALLS AN OFFICE, as in Pastor, is this an office or a Work.

the reason why I framed this question this way is as an Apostle Paul was a Pastor, which this title falls under. so is this an "office" or a "work".

thanks in advance for your answer,

PICJAG.

Last edited:

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
GINOLJC to all, second thanks for your reply. so as you sum it up at the end, "but in all essentials, the biblical Church and clergy and the Catholic Church and clergy are one and the same". Good to hear than, because a bishop, overseer.. ect is what is called a Pastor. now since they all are the same, my next question is this, is the biblical Church, WHICH MANY CALLS AN OFFICE, as in Pastor, is this an office or a Work.

the reason why I framed this question this way is as an Apostle Paul was a Pastor, which this title falls under. so is this an "office" or a "work".

thanks in advance for your answer,

PICJAG.
Why the dichotomy? Can't Paul be both pastor and Apostle? "Work" has nothing to do with the three-fold episcopate that emerged from the Apostles. Succession was facilitated by the laying on of hands, not "works". In order to pass something on, one must posses it in the first place.

Reactions: Mungo