Who Do I Confess My Sins To?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the reason why I framed this question this way is as an Apostle Paul was a Pastor,
I thought before now, that the idea/ definition / practice of "pastor" was not in the New Testament - not as used today that is, or for the last many centuries.
Is there an identification of the Apostle, the emissary, Paul, that fits "pastor" ? (in Scripture)

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why the dichotomy? Can't Paul be both pastor and Apostle? "Work" has nothing to do with the three-fold episcopate that emerged from the Apostles. Succession was facilitated by the laying on of hands, not "works". In order to pass something on, one must posses it in the first place.
let us be clear here, is not the so-called offices that you calls the clergy is but a "GIFT" of God to do a "WORK", yes or no?

again, thanks in advance for your answer.

PICJAG.

Reactions: Joseph77

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I thought before now, that the idea/ definition / practice of "pastor" was not in the New Testament - not as used today that is, or for the last many centuries.
Is there an identification of the Apostle, the emissary, Paul, that fits "pastor" ? (in Scripture)
Sure, and do you know what a biblical "Pastor" is?, when you know that then you will know the role of Paul as an apostle.

looking to hear your answer,

PICJAG.

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sure, and do you know what a biblical "Pastor" is?, when you know that then you will know the role of Paul as an apostle.

looking to hear your answer,

PICJAG.
As noted earlier, it is not found in Scripture.

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jeremiah 3:15, and Paul, the apostle was a "Pastor". or do you need the biblical passage for that too?.
Nothing there like anything anywhere today, except or if you hope to expose the unfaithful shepherds as God does , eh ?

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nothing there like anything anywhere today, except or if you hope to expose the unfaithful shepherds as God does , eh ?
first thanks for the reply second we see many, "today", have no clue to or as what a biblical pastor is. let get educated, and come into the LIGHT of God. Jeremiah 3:15 "And I will give you pastors according to mine heart, which shall feed you with knowledge and understanding”. remember these two things. the key to understanding this work is to, “feed you with knowledge and understanding”. knowing that, lets go to

1 Corinthians 13:1 and hear it from Paul’s own mouth as to what he is. "Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. verse 2. 1 Corinthians 13:2 "And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing”. Bingo, he just told us that not only is he a “Pastor”, but a “Prophet” also, listen,

1 Corinthians 13:2 "And though I have the gift of prophecy, (HE’S A PROPHET, AND IT’S A GIFT), and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; (HERE HE JUST TOLD US THAT HE’S A PASTOR, “UNDERSTANDING”, AND “KNOWLEDGE”), and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.

see it now? as a prophet to prophecy is a gift, as well as Pastor, as a matter of fact, the revelation as to all being a "Gift" it is God who set, or Ordain apostles, prophets, and teachers in his church. scripture, 1 Corinthians 12:28 "And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues”.

so all these “GIFTS”, apostles, prophets, and teaches, are the “PASTORAL” Gifts which God, the Lord Jesus himself set in the church. for the Greek term “Set” here is the Greek word, G5087 τίθημι tithemi (tiy'-thee-miy) v.
θέω theo (the'-ō) [an alternate in certain tenses]
1. to place.
2. (properly) to lay in a passive or horizontal posture.
{in the widest application, literally and figuratively; differs from G2476, which properly denotes an upright and active position, while G2749 is properly reflexive and utterly prostrate}
[a prolonged form of a primary theo theh'-o (which is used only as alternate in certain tenses)]
KJV: + advise, appoint, bow, commit, conceive, give, X kneel down, lay (aside, down, up), make, ordain, purpose, put, set (forth), settle, sink down
Compare: G2476, G2749

and yes “Teacher” is an ordain position in God's Holy Church, which again the apostle Paul declared that he is, 1 Corinthians 4:17 "For this cause have I sent unto you Timotheus, who is my beloved son, and faithful in the Lord, who shall bring you into remembrance of my ways which be in Christ, as I teach every where in every church”.

so the Pastoral “GIFT” is just that, a gift from God to do a “work”, and YES, it is listed right in the Spiritual Gifts.

so one might want to re-new your minds on what a “Work”, is. listen, 1 Timothy 3:1 "This is a true saying, If a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work”. …. (smile), and that work is a “Gift” of God to do the “WORK”, which he himself do.

PICJAG.

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
More Incomprehensible , instead of simple, instead of true, Gobblydygooky ?
as if from some other school, some direction away from truth perhaps? (because trying to support some teaching/doctrine/position/school not in Scripture, instead of starting with Scripture and with the Father ? )

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
More Incomprehensible , instead of simple, instead of true, Gobblydygooky ?
as if from some other school, some direction away from truth perhaps? (because trying to support some teaching/doctrine/position/school not in Scripture, instead of starting with Scripture and with the Father ? )

(smile), ao we can take this as you have no understanding as to who and what a pastor is... :eek:

but the Lord Jesus is right in what he said, Matthew 15:14 "Let them alone: they be blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch".

so with that I will lEAVE YOU ALONE..... (SMILE).

PICJAG.

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
(smile), ao we can take this as you have no understanding as to who and what a pastor is..
Yes, you and those with you as in your "we", certainly.

The sly or coy , lack of integrity in your "smile"s, and posts, eventually becomes undone.

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
wadr that strikes me as a different scenario, and not about confessing at all? And while i have no direct Quote for this, exactly, i would suggest that even what was done in secret be confessed in the light. Accuse in private, sure, i agree there
"Confessed in the light"? Meaning...?

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, basically meaning that “nothing is hidden that will not be revealed,” right
sort of.

We are told to confess our faults to one another (IN assembly or group of faithful Ekklesia NOT ON A FORUM),
and
that is much much different if we do that,

instead of hiding our faults or our sin, until we are OPENLY JUDGED FOR IT. (for not confessing and repenting as God Says)

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
sort of.

We are told to confess our faults to one another (IN assembly or group of faithful Ekklesia NOT ON A FORUM),
and
that is much much different if we do that,

instead of hiding our faults or our sin, until we are OPENLY JUDGED FOR IT. (for not confessing and repenting as God Says)
Well you can go with those qualifications if you like, personally I would not, mostly because I can’t read them in the Bible anywhere?

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well you can go with those qualifications if you like, personally I would not, mostly because I can’t read them in the Bible anywhere?
Be patient then, this too shall be revealed soon..... (in the Bible, for you)

For many, BABY STEPS......

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, basically meaning that “nothing is hidden that will not be revealed,” right
So privately confessing to the Lord would fit the bill unless private confession to a person you offended

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Compare with Scripture:

(at various times)

ICB
They told of the sins they had done, and John baptized them in the Jordan River.
ISV
being baptized by him in the Jordan River while they confessed their sins.
PHILLIPS
John wore clothes of camel-hair with a leather belt round his waist, and lived on locusts and wild honey. The people of Jerusalem and of all Judea and the Jordan district flocked to him, and were baptised by him in the river Jordan, publicly confessing their sins.
KJV
And were baptized of him in Jordan, confessing their sins.
AKJV
and were baptized of him in Jordan, confessing their sins.
LEB
and they were being baptized by him in the Jordan River as they confessed their sins.
So privately confessing to the Lord would fit the bill unless private confession to a person you offended

Reactions: bbyrd009

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
not in my Book, sorry; imo be public and loud, from the rooftops even, with confession, but at the very least one to another, and imo if you sinned in public then why not confess in public? Ego, right?
Compare with Scripture:

(at various times)

ICB
They told of the sins they had done, and John baptized them in the Jordan River.
ISV
being baptized by him in the Jordan River while they confessed their sins.
PHILLIPS
John wore clothes of camel-hair with a leather belt round his waist, and lived on locusts and wild honey. The people of Jerusalem and of all Judea and the Jordan district flocked to him, and were baptised by him in the river Jordan, publicly confessing their sins.
KJV
And were baptized of him in Jordan, confessing their sins.
AKJV
and were baptized of him in Jordan, confessing their sins.
LEB
and they were being baptized by him in the Jordan River as they confessed their sins.
i mean boom lol

Reactions: Joseph77