Who is “the new Moses”?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
It’s not uncommon to hear theologians refer to Jesus as “the new Moses”. Last week actor Jim Caviezel referred to Donald Trump as “the new Moses”.

There are theological and political implications associated with the concept of ”the new Moses.”

I don’t have an issue with referring to Jesus as “the new Moses.” For me, referring to Donald Trump - or anyone else - as “the news Moses” goes too far.

Jesus is “the news Moses” -> how do others feel about that?

Donald Trump (or anyone else) is “the new Moses” -> how do others feel about that?

Gottservant

Oct 19, 2022
Greensborough
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I have met the new Moses.

He tried to commit suicide, locked up in a mental hospital.

My prediction is that he will come back, twice more, before God receives him into Heaven once and for all.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I have met the new Moses.

He tried to commit suicide, locked up in a mental hospital.

My prediction is that he will come back, twice more, before God receives him into Heaven once and for all.

He doesn’t sound like Jesus.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
“…Matthew presents Jesus as the new Moses. He does this by presenting Jesus as the teacher of Israel through five discourses. These discourses mirror in some ways the five books of the Pentateuch. Then when Jesus begins his first discourse, there are four pointers to Jesus as the new Moses. …”

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
“Matthew’s distinctive portrait of Jesus is focused through one dominant lens. Matthew sees Jesus as the new Moses, great teacher and giver of the new law for the new covenant which will be the guide for Jesus’ community, the church. As part of this portrait, Matthew understands Jesus to be the one who fulfils the Torah (Law-Teaching), and who fulfils the prophecies of the coming Messiah. Just as the Torah of the Hebrew Scriptures is divided into five books, so Jesus’ teaching in Matthew is divided into five great sermonic/teaching discourses. …”

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
“In Exodus, Moses went up on Mount Sinai and received the Law then taught the Law to God’s people. Like Moses, Jesus is presented as a second Moses who teaches the Law on the Mountain. Matthew intentionally draws a parallel between Moses as the original leader of God’s people and Jesus, the ultimate ‘lawgiver’ and interpreter of God’s Law.

In fact, there are a number things in the Gospel of Matthew which indicate the author wanted to intentionally present Jesus as a ‘new Moses.’ …”

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
“THE GOSPEL ACCORDING TO MATTHEW begins by identifying Jesus as ‘the son of David, the son of Abraham’ (Matthew 1:1), thus indicating his Davidic/royal and Abrahamic/Jewish heritage, respectively. Throughout this Gospel, Matthew also presents Jesus as ‘the New Moses’ for the people of Israel. ...”

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are theological and political implications associated with the concept of ”the new Moses.”
I deny your claim. Notice how there is not one Scripture in the OP? I personally hear X is the Y all the time. It's just hype.

What are the theological and political implications associated with the concept of ”the new Moses?”
I don’t have an issue with referring to Jesus as “the new Moses.”
I do have an issue whenever the Law of Identity is violated. A is A. B is B. A is not B. Nuff said.
Donald Trump (or anyone else) is “the new Moses” -> how do others feel about that?
I am a top 1% Donald Trump fan. Let me expand on above. DT is DT. DT is not A. Nuff said.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I deny your claim.

That’s fine. I still accept, believe and teach Moses typology.

Notice how there is not one Scripture in the OP? I personally hear X is the Y all the time. It's just hype.

What are the theological and political implications associated with the concept of ”the new Moses?”

I do have an issue whenever the Law of Identity is violated. A is A. B is B. A is not B. Nuff said.

I am a top 1% Donald Trump fan. Let me expand on above. DT is DT. DT is not A. Nuff said.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
“Matthew will use his narrative skills to position Jesus as ‘the new Moses.’ …”

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
“JESUS AS MOSES

The way Matthew then tells the story of Jesus draws on a lot of symbols from Jewish tradition that really convey a picture of Jesus. Jesus goes up on to a mountain to teach and there talks about the law. He looks like Moses. Jesus delivers five different sermons of this sort, just like the five books of Torah. There are a lot of elements in this story that resemble Moses’ traditions, from the killing of the babies, in the birth narrative, to the Sermon on the Mount, to even to the way Jesus dies, just like some of the prophets died, as martyrs to their prophetic calling.”

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
“Matthew spends a lot of time in his gospel presenting Jesus as the new Moses. …”

If he does, why do so many not see it?

Shame on teachers and preachers who don’t bring it to the attention of their audiences.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States