Who is “the new Moses”?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Matthias, are you saying that though Moses was a real person, Moses was a picture and type for Christ Jesus to come? Moses brought forth the Law, Jesus Fulfilled the Law - that was why Moses showed up during the vision the transfiguration. Jesus also was the fulfillment of the promise of the Prophets, and that was why Elijah had shown up. Could Elijah also be a picture and type for Christ to come? Perhaps Daniel, and others when looking in the Old Testament? Cause if you are aiming at that, I would say there are many different pictures and types throughout all of the bible - which can help us by the Spirit to teach us.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Is Jesus identified as the prophet like Moses in the NT?

”Luke identifies Jesus as the prophet like Moses in Acts 3:22 more clearly than in any other text in Lk-Acts.“

It’s a simple matter for us to confirm whether or not this is true.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Just for my edification, is your position that Jesus pre-existed as a thought in God’s plan?

For my edification, do you know what notional / ideal preexistence is?

What about Moses typology? Are you familiar with what that is?

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
@Matthias, are you saying that though Moses was a real person, Moses was a picture and type for Christ Jesus to come? Moses brought forth the Law, Jesus Fulfilled the Law - that was why Moses showed up during the vision the transfiguration. Jesus also was the fulfillment of the promise of the Prophets, and that was why Elijah had shown up. Could Elijah also be a picture and type for Christ to come? Perhaps Daniel, and others when looking in the Old Testament? Cause if you are aiming at that, I would say there are many different pictures and types throughout all of the bible - which can help us by the Spirit to teach us.

Please see the link I provided in post #38. There are many examples of typology in addition to Moses typology.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for directing me to that link, however just asking for you and your assessment. I dont normally just go to other(s) links about 93% of the time.

Love to you,
Matthew

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Thank you for directing me to that link, however just asking for you and your assessment. I dont normally just go to other(s) links about 93% of the time.

Love to you,
Matthew

My assessment is that Moses typology is valid in explaining how Jesus is the new Moses, irrespective of what I or anyone else believes in regard to the separate issue of literal vs. ideal preexistence.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For my edification, do you know what notional / ideal preexistence is?

What about Moses typology? Are you familiar with what that is?
No but I vaguely recall you writing on what you are calling notional / ideal preexistence. Just want to be clear.

FYI, I'm OK with that, just not too familiar with it.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My assessment is that Moses typology is valid in explaining how Jesus is the new Moses, irrespective of what I or anyone else believes in regard to the separate issue of literal vs. ideal preexistence.

Thank you Matthias,

Love to you,
Matthew

Reactions: Matthias

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
No but I vaguely recall you writing on what you are calling notional / ideal preexistence. Just want to be clear.

FYI, I'm OK with that, just not too familiar with it.

Notional / ideal preexistence is a Hebraic concept.

Do you believe that people, places and things exist in the foreknowledge of God? If you do, then you believe in notional / ideal preexistence.

Do you believe that Jesus preexisted in the foreknowledge of God? If you do, then you believe in the notional / ideal preexistence of Jesus. If you don’t, then you don’t believe in the notional / ideal preexistence of Jesus.

The vast majority of Christians - trinitarians, binitarians and unitarians - don’t believe in the notional / ideal preexistence of Jesus. They believe in the literal preexistence of Jesus.

A minority of Christians - such as myself - believe in the ideal / notional preexistence of Jesus.

Some in this minority of Christians believe that Jesus was begotten some time before the creation of the heavens and the earth. Those who believe this have an Arian Christology.

A much smaller number of Christians in this minority believe that Jesus was begotten in the womb of his mother. Those who believe this have a Socinian Christology. I‘m in this group. I have a Socinian Christology.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you believe that Jesus preexisted in the foreknowledge of God? If you do, then you believe in the notional / ideal preexistence of Jesus. If you don’t, then you don’t believe in the notional / ideal preexistence of Jesus.

The vast majority of Christians - trinitarians, binitarians and unitarians - don’t believe in the notional / ideal preexistence of Jesus. They believe in the literal preexistence of Jesus.
Interesting. I don't get hung up on the type of preexistence - physical or notional / ideal in the foreknowledge of God.

My contention has always been in our equality with Jesus' humanity. Given that Jesus is a man and preexisted, it stands to reason that we too pre-existed. If our pre-existence is only in the foreknowledge of God, I'm OK with that. However, I do believe this stretches the common meaning of preexistence.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Interesting. I don't get hung up on the type of preexistence - physical or notional / ideal in the foreknowledge of God.

My contention has always been in our equality with Jesus' humanity. Given that Jesus is a man and preexisted, it stands to reason that we too pre-existed. If our pre-existence is only in the foreknowledge of God, I'm OK with that. However, I do believe this stretches the common meaning of preexistence.

What is the common meaning of preexistence?

Would you say then that you believe you literally preexisted somewhere before you were begotten by your parents? That, in fact, you existed in some previous form before you began to exist as a human being?