Who is Zechariah 13:6 talking about?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Skovand1075

Jul 13, 2022
Alabama.
www.instagram.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Zechariah 13:6
New American Standard Bible.

6 And someone will say to him, ‘What are these wounds between your arms?’ Then he will say, ‘Those with which I was wounded at the house of my friends.’

Reactions: marks

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

6 And someone will say to him, ‘What are these wounds between your arms?’ Then he will say, ‘Those with which I was wounded at the house of my friends.’

The passage really begins in verse 4 sir and helps in identification, it is referring to false prophets. Verse 7 prophetically is referring to Jesus as God's shepherd.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Psa 22:14 I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint: my heart is like wax; it is melted in the midst of my bowels.
Psa 22:15 My strength is dried up like a potsherd; and my tongue cleaveth to my jaws; and thou hast brought me into the dust of death.
Psa 22:16 For dogs have compassed me: the assembly of the wicked have inclosed me: they pierced my hands and my feet.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Who?
I would say, human (“Hebrew, Tribes, Jewish, Israel”) men who believe God promised a Messiah, believes in the friendship relationship with Gods Messiah, yet are not convinced Jesus was/is the (Christ) Messiah, who came to the human (Hebrew, Tribes, Jewish, Israel) “house,” ie Earth.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How could verse 7 be about Jesus when it’s a quote of the false prophet?

You brought up Zech 13:6 and now wonder about verse 7, as if, that had been discussed.

Often one single verse will have two sides of the coin revealed;
Head and Tail so to speak.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How could verse 7 be about Jesus when it’s a quote of the false prophet?
Amos wasn't a false prophet. He was accused of being a false prophet:

Amo 7:10 Then Amaziah the priest of Bethel sent to Jeroboam king of Israel, saying, Amos hath conspired against thee in the midst of the house of Israel: the land is not able to bear all his words.
Amo 7:11 For thus Amos saith, Jeroboam shall die by the sword, and Israel shall surely be led away captive out of their own land.
Amo 7:12 Also Amaziah said unto Amos, O thou seer, go, flee thee away into the land of Judah, and there eat bread, and prophesy there:
Amo 7:13 But prophesy not again any more at Bethel: for it is the king's chapel, and it is the king's court.

Amo 7:14 Then answered Amos, and said to Amaziah, I was no prophet, neither was I a prophet's son; but I was an herdman, and a gatherer of sycomore fruit:
Amo 7:15 And the LORD took me as I followed the flock, and the LORD said unto me, Go, prophesy unto my people Israel.
Amo 7:16 Now therefore hear thou the word of the LORD: Thou sayest, Prophesy not against Israel, and drop not thy word against the house of Isaac.
Amo 7:17 Therefore thus saith the LORD; Thy wife shall be an harlot in the city, and thy sons and thy daughters shall fall by the sword, and thy land shall be divided by line; and thou shalt die in a polluted land: and Israel shall surely go into captivity forth of his land.

hugs

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
From Zechariah 13:6
Zec 13:5 But he shall say, I am no prophet, I am an husbandman; for man taught me to keep cattle from my youth.
to
Amo 7:14 Then answered Amos, and said to Amaziah, I was no prophet, neither was I a prophet's son; but I was an herdman, and a gatherer of sycomore fruit:

Zechariah is prophecying concerning Amos which is the mouth of 2 witnesses declaring the same thing.

Deu 19:15 One witness shall not rise up against a man for any iniquity, or for any sin, in any sin that he sinneth: at the mouth of two witnesses, or at the mouth of three witnesses, shall the matter be established.

They are both talking about the same person, Jesus.
Hugs

Skovand1075

Jul 13, 2022
Alabama.
www.instagram.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amos wasn't a false prophet. He was accused of being a false prophet:

Amo 7:10 Then Amaziah the priest of Bethel sent to Jeroboam king of Israel, saying, Amos hath conspired against thee in the midst of the house of Israel: the land is not able to bear all his words.
Amo 7:11 For thus Amos saith, Jeroboam shall die by the sword, and Israel shall surely be led away captive out of their own land.
Amo 7:12 Also Amaziah said unto Amos, O thou seer, go, flee thee away into the land of Judah, and there eat bread, and prophesy there:
Amo 7:13 But prophesy not again any more at Bethel: for it is the king's chapel, and it is the king's court.

Amo 7:15 And the LORD took me as I followed the flock, and the LORD said unto me, Go, prophesy unto my people Israel.
Amo 7:16 Now therefore hear thou the word of the LORD: Thou sayest, Prophesy not against Israel, and drop not thy word against the house of Isaac.
Amo 7:17 Therefore thus saith the LORD; Thy wife shall be an harlot in the city, and thy sons and thy daughters shall fall by the sword, and thy land shall be divided by line; and thou shalt die in a polluted land: and Israel shall surely go into captivity forth of his land.

hugs
Never said Amos was a false prophet.
I said how can 7 , which is being quoted by the false prophet in 6, be about Jesus? Once I’m home I’ll reread your comment again to see if I missed something.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do not know. It is always good to read the whole book that kind of helps a lot, Skovan1075.

I have a Study Bible, that has a lot to say probably on that particular verse, but as of this moment I do not know.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Never said Amos was a false prophet.
I said how can 7 , which is being quoted by the false prophet in 6, be about Jesus? Once I’m home I’ll reread your comment again to see if I missed something.
Just trying to determine whom you are calling a false prophet.
Zechariah who prophesied concerning Amos' prophecy, or Amos himself?
In either case both Zechariah and Amos are prophecying the same event concerning Jesus.

Zec 13:1 In that day there shall be a fountain opened to the house of David and to the inhabitants of Jerusalem for sin and for uncleanness.
Zec 13:2 And it shall come to pass in that day, saith the LORD of hosts, that I will cut off the names of the idols out of the land, and they shall no more be remembered: and also I will cause the prophets and the unclean spirit to pass out of the land.
Zec 13:3 And it shall come to pass, that when any shall yet prophesy, then his father and his mother that begat him shall say unto him, Thou shalt not live; for thou speakest lies in the name of the LORD: and his father and his mother that begat him shall thrust him through when he prophesieth.
Zec 13:4 And it shall come to pass in that day, that the prophets shall be ashamed every one of his vision, when he hath prophesied; neither shall they wear a rough garment to deceive:

Zec 13:5 But he shall say, I am no prophet, I am an husbandman; for man taught me to keep cattle from my youth.
Zec 13:6 And one shall say unto him, What are these wounds in thine hands? Then he shall answer, Those with which I was wounded in the house of my friends.

We have a certain time: In that day, and it shall come to pass.
And there is also a "But" in verse 5. I would think the "But" is an exception to the others that are prophecying?

The one Zechariah is quoting from, saying I am no prophet, is Amos 7:14

How can 7... I'm assuming Amos chapter 7,
Which is being quoted by a false prophet in chapter 6... verse 6.. which book Amos or Zechariah regarding 6?

Who is the false prophet you are referring to?
Thank you
Hugs

Skovand1075

Jul 13, 2022
Alabama.
www.instagram.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just trying to determine whom you are calling a false prophet.
Zechariah who prophesied concerning Amos' prophecy, or Amos himself?
In either case both Zechariah and Amos are prophecying the same event concerning Jesus.

Zec 13:1 In that day there shall be a fountain opened to the house of David and to the inhabitants of Jerusalem for sin and for uncleanness.
Zec 13:2 And it shall come to pass in that day, saith the LORD of hosts, that I will cut off the names of the idols out of the land, and they shall no more be remembered: and also I will cause the prophets and the unclean spirit to pass out of the land.
Zec 13:3 And it shall come to pass, that when any shall yet prophesy, then his father and his mother that begat him shall say unto him, Thou shalt not live; for thou speakest lies in the name of the LORD: and his father and his mother that begat him shall thrust him through when he prophesieth.
Zec 13:4 And it shall come to pass in that day, that the prophets shall be ashamed every one of his vision, when he hath prophesied; neither shall they wear a rough garment to deceive:

Zec 13:6 And one shall say unto him, What are these wounds in thine hands? Then he shall answer, Those with which I was wounded in the house of my friends.

We have a certain time: In that day, and it shall come to pass.
And there is also a "But" in verse 5. I would think the "But" is an exception to the others that are prophecying?

The one Zechariah is quoting from, saying I am no prophet, is Amos 7:14

How can 7... I'm assuming Amos chapter 7,
Which is being quoted by a false prophet in chapter 6... verse 6.. which book Amos or Zechariah regarding 6?

Who is the false prophet you are referring to?
Thank you
Hugs
My post asked who is the prophet we are being told about. Whoever the false prophet is that we are being told about is a false prophet. Zechariah 1-6 is about Jews being warned of a false prophet .

Reactions: Ziggy

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My post asked who is the prophet we are being told about. Whoever the false prophet is that we are being told about is a false prophet. Zechariah 1-6 is about Jews being warned of a false prophet .
I think I understand..

What is that fountain?
Rev 21:5 And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful.
Rev 21:6 And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely.

Jhn 4:13 Jesus answered and said unto her, Whosoever drinketh of this water shall thirst again:
Jhn 4:14 But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life

This is that fountain in Zechariah verse 1.

Concerning "that day" , the day God opens the fountain....
The Lord says he will cutt off names of the idols out of the land, he will cause the prophets and the unclean spirits to pass out of the land.

If we go to the book of Acts, it's easy to see this one concerning the isol Diana and how the whole world camr to worship her.
Paul came and explained to them that Diana was no god, but simply an idol.
The blacksmith didn't like that cause he lost a lot of business.

We see in the gospels Jesus and the disciples casting out unclean spirits, even in one case sending them into a flock of swine and drowning in a river.
There were also false prophets and prophetesses. There was the woman that followed Peter. there was simon the magician.
I could be a little off, I'm going from memory.

So in verse 2,
the false prophets from this day forward would be anyone prophesying "another" messiah.
Jesus was it. It was done.

Paul puts this out there without question:
Gal 1:8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.
Rev 14:6 And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people,

So I believe to answer your question, it's not concerning one specific prophet, but rather any that come to try and divert people from the true gospel.

what do you think?
:D

Hugs

Reactions: Skovand1075

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Have you considered Psalms 22:16 ?
Messianic of course.

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Zechariah 13:1-3 every prophet (false) banished and even killed by parents.

Zechariah 13:4 "He" refers to false prophet ashamed of his falsehood, who will no longer put on garment to deceive.

Zechariah 13:5 "He" false prophet claims he has been a farmer from his youth.

Zechariah 13:6 "He" false prophet says wounds not evidence of body cutting as practiced by false prophets. 1 Kings 18:28.

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Concerning the Lord Jesus Christ we know:

He never was ashamed of his prophetic vision as per Zechariah 13:4

He never put on a prophets garment to deceive as per Zechariah 13:4

He never said he was not a prophet as per Zechariah 13:5

He never claimed to be a farmer from His youth as per Zechariah 13:5

It's odd to have a Messianic reference within a section of Scripture.

He was never wounded in the house of his friends as Zech 13:5 (truth be known, he was wounded without the camp/house!)

RedFan

May 15, 2022
New Hampshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is that fountain?
Rev 21:5 And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful.
Rev 21:6 And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely.

Jhn 4:13 Jesus answered and said unto her, Whosoever drinketh of this water shall thirst again:
Jhn 4:14 But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life

This is that fountain in Zechariah verse 1.

If it is impossible to resist the temptation to find a NT analogue to the fountain prophesy in v.1 (personally, I don't have that itch to scratch, and will not insist that there must be one), let's at least check the context. These NT quotes suggest a fountain for drinking. Zechariah 13:1 talks about a fountain for washing. So why not pick a sin-cleansing rather than a thirst-quenching analogue?

Like Matthew Henry does ("This fountain opened is the pierced side of Jesus Christ, spoken of just before (ch. 12:10), for thence came there out blood and water, and both for cleansing.")

Like Benson does ("There shall be a fountain opened — “The blood of Christ, which cleanseth from all sin, (1 John 1:7,) is manifestly here intended")

Reactions: Ziggy

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If it is impossible to resist the temptation to find a NT analogue to the fountain prophesy in v.1 (personally, I don't have that itch to scratch, and will not insist that there must be one), let's at least check the context. These NT quotes suggest a fountain for drinking. Zechariah 13:1 talks about a fountain for washing. So why not pick a sin-cleansing rather than a thirst-quenching analogue?

Like Matthew Henry does ("This fountain opened is the pierced side of Jesus Christ, spoken of just before (ch. 12:10), for thence came there out blood and water, and both for cleansing.")

Like Benson does ("There shall be a fountain opened — “The blood of Christ, which cleanseth from all sin, (1 John 1:7,) is manifestly here intended")
Thank you for that
:D
Hugs

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Zechariah 14:8 spiritual regeneration is what is spoken of here (prophecy yet to be fulfilled)