Who managed to quit smoking?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Did you quit smoking?

• Yes

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • No, not yet

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Never started to smoke

Votes: 8 44.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
In the UK now all cigarettes come in completely plain packaging and are lock behind shutters in stores, supposedly to cut down addiction and deter young people.
In the states it states that cigarette smoking could kill you.
They used to state "could be harmful to your health".

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Right.
It was considered COOL to smoke.

People just did it. And so often even as they did it, people would hardly even notice. I guess with so many women it was at least latent identification with the early 20th century emancipation of women; just as Elizabeth Arden greatly popularized lipstick among campaigners for woman suffrage so that its use became near universal, so also smoking among women was so widespread that it was done so often without a second thought; for so many ppl, it was what you just did.

Reactions: GodsGrace

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Over 3000 posts for this topic?

Now we need a thread on the beneficial properties of tobacco.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
In the states it states that cigarette smoking could kill you.
They used to state "could be harmful to your health".

It used to say that over here too, probably still does but without the fancy packets and brand names.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
In the UK now all cigarettes come in completely plain packaging and are lock behind shutters in stores, supposedly to cut down addiction and deter young people.
Yeah. The UK decided to adopt George Orwell as their patron saint and combine Big Brother and the Nanny State into one giant conglomerate with cameras all over London and issuing licenses to smoke and carry a knife, while coddling the terrorists and giving them a slap on the wrist. Sadiq Khan will be issuing licenses to practice terrorism with impunity, so if you don't kill yourself with smoking, he'll have another means for you to be killed.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
It used to say that over here too, probably still does but without the fancy packets and brand names.
Years ago there was at least a general familiarity with the idea that smoking might not be best for the health, but often there was a stock answer to the observation:

"Don't smoke too much because it's not good for you."

"Well, I might as well do something that I enjoy."

I guess ppl such as your mom whom you mentioned probably took such a view.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Years ago there was at least a general familiarity with the idea that smoking might not be best for the health, but often there was a stock answer to the observation:

"Don't smoke too much because it's not good for you."

"Well, I might as well do something that I enjoy."

I guess ppl such as your mom whom you mentioned probably took such a view.
It wasn't deemed to be a health hazard back then.

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Not my sister though although she hasn't for many years.
Great your sister managed eventually to quit, but - the way things were then - so often the case anyway, that it used to be completely natural for a young woman when she got to a certain age to take up smoking, it was a seamless transitioning to being a smoker once a certain age was reached, wasn't it?