Who managed to quit smoking?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Did you quit smoking?

• Yes

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • No, not yet

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Never started to smoke

Votes: 8 44.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Fortunately neither I nor my wife of 52 years have ever smoked. My grandfather, dying of lung cancer, warned us grand children to never start. I believe that must be the factor that kept me from starting

A 41 year old neighbor that we've known since he was a boy is dying and in stage IV lung cancer.

It's a habit that can punch your ticket! Good for all that stop, great for all that never started.

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Fortunately neither I nor my wife of 52 years have ever smoked. My grandfather, dying of lung cancer, warned us grand children to never start. I believe that must be the factor that kept me from starting

A 41 year old neighbor that we've known since he was a boy is dying and in stage IV lung cancer.

It's a habit that can punch your ticket! Good for all that stop, great for all that never started.
Thanks for your constructive contribution! :)

B

brakelite

I, like most people, had problems giving up tobacco. Eventually I gave up quite easily after coming to the same mindset when I gave up marijuana. With the dope it was easy. I wanted to stop, and the reason for that was it clearly was against God's will that I continued. I remember very well that I lit a joint after receiving Christ 2 or 3 days before. The presence of HIs Spirit that had been with me till that time left...I was shocked, horrified, and missed Him. Any desire for a smoke after that vanished.
But tobacco was different. Why? Because I had mixed feelings as to whether I really wanted to give it up. For a long time there was that small part of me that still enjoyed a cigarette, While that desire for pleasure was still there, giving up was impossible. When I finally came to the full willingness and desire to shun it totally...when I fully decided I didn't want it any more...then my will was in line with God's will, and my prayers were answered.
So long as you have a desire to continue, giving up will always be a constant battle. When our wills align with God's, then miracles happen.

Reactions: Acolyte

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I, like most people, had problems giving up tobacco. Eventually I gave up quite easily after coming to the same mindset when I gave up marijuana. With the dope it was easy. I wanted to stop, and the reason for that was it clearly was against God's will that I continued. I remember very well that I lit a joint after receiving Christ 2 or 3 days before. The presence of HIs Spirit that had been with me till that time left...I was shocked, horrified, and missed Him. Any desire for a smoke after that vanished.
But tobacco was different. Why? Because I had mixed feelings as to whether I really wanted to give it up. For a long time there was that small part of me that still enjoyed a cigarette, While that desire for pleasure was still there, giving up was impossible. When I finally came to the full willingness and desire to shun it totally...when I fully decided I didn't want it any more...then my will was in line with God's will, and my prayers were answered.
So long as you have a desire to continue, giving up will always be a constant battle. When our wills align with God's, then miracles happen.
Great you managed to quit! :)

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As a matter of fact I do. I have a background of being in the mental health system, and one time there was a demon-possessed person who was in the same ward as me who somehow convinced me to smoke a cigarette. I smoked the whole thing in just a few seconds, and my physical reaction was so strong that I never wanted to do it again. But I think I smoked one or two more cigarettes after that; and one time there was an acquaintance who had just had a baby who offered me a cherry cigarette and I put it to my mouth but didn't inhale. It still went into my lungs though, lol. A few more times in mental health situations I put cigarettes to my mouth and exhaled with that. (I think that God kept me from becoming truly addicted because there is just something in me as a believer that hates the prospect that I would ever be addicted to any substance (1 Corinthians 6:12)).

Because I knew someone who had what she called a "smoking ministry". By all practical appearances she appeared to be a genuine Christian, and she said that she smoked so that people would know that they were not condemned as Christians if they smoked. However it was her witness that cause me to stumble when I did (what I testified to in the first paragraph of this post).

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One other thing I want to say: when you are under the influence of nicotene, the experience seems to be that you lose all memory of things when you were not under its influence, and those memories seem to be restored when it is in your system again.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
As a matter of fact I do. I have a background of being in the mental health system, and one time there was a demon-possessed person who was in the same ward as me who somehow convinced me to smoke a cigarette. I smoked the whole thing in just a few seconds, and my physical reaction was so strong that I never wanted to do it again. But I think I smoked one or two more cigarettes after that; and one time there was an acquaintance who had just had a baby who offered me a cherry cigarette and I put it to my mouth but didn't inhale. It still went into my lungs though, lol. A few more times in mental health situations I put cigarettes to my mouth and exhaled with that. (I think that God kept me from becoming truly addicted because there is just something in me as a believer that hates the prospect that I would ever be addicted to any substance (1 Corinthians 6:12)).

Because I knew someone who had what she called a "smoking ministry". By all practical appearances she appeared to be a genuine Christian, and she said that she smoked so that people would know that they were not condemned as Christians if they smoked. However it was her witness that cause me to stumble when I did (what I testified to in the first paragraph of this post).
Interesting experiences; thanks!

Did the smoking ministry lady keep in contact, and do you know what her doctrine is now, beyond smoking?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
One other thing I want to say: when you are under the influence of nicotene, the experience seems to be that you lose all memory of things when you were not under its influence, and those memories seem to be restored when it is in your system again.
One does feel sleepy... :)