Who managed to quit smoking?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Did you quit smoking?

• Yes

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • No, not yet

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Never started to smoke

Votes: 8 44.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
God only knows. It seems to me that her faith was genuine; she appeared to have the love of the Lord in her heart.
It's the faith that counts. While it's right to be aware of not stumbling ppl, yet I also think that guilt-manipulating ppl about not having managed to quit smoking is wrong also.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes; I believe that she helped people to know that the fact that they didn't have the victory in that area didn't mean that they weren't saved. The helmet is an important piece in our armour..

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Yes; I believe that she helped people to know that the fact that they didn't have the victory in that area didn't mean that they weren't saved. The helmet is an important piece in our armour..
Some ppl are accustomed to inhaling and in that sense do it in a matter of fact way. I think non-smoking Christians need to ignore it and enjoy fellowship with the smoking Christian, and not guilt manipulate.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some ppl are accustomed to inhaling and in that sense do it in a matter of fact way. I think non-smoking Christians need to ignore it and enjoy fellowship with the smoking Christian, and not guilt manipulate.
I agree. Unconditional love from believers is a major influence towards salvation, not only justification but sanctification also.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I had some stress and began again for almost 5 months now. But I am currently charging all of the batteries so I will be ready to start on it again. I felt so much better for that 3 months! But, I am not convinced that smoking is a sin. I think it might rather be one of those: all things are legal for me but not all things are profitable -that the apostle mentions.
Hi; so are you still enjoying some inhales or have you managed to cut down significantly yet?

(I don't believe in guilt manipulation of smokers, as you may recall.)

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@charity FYI, any comments?

(Did you see the poll also?)

I did see the poll, @farouk, thankfully I never began the smoking habit, for I would have found it very difficult to break it I know.

Smoking was a cultural habit among males in years gone by, and not considered to be a bad thing; now we know that it is harmful to the body, and therefore not advisable. On that basis only would I consider breaking the habit to be a good thing. It is not something for which someone should be condemned, or judged.

It is an anti-social habit in that it affects other people, yes; and we know from research that inhaling cigarette smoke is harmful, even if you are not the one smoking it; but it is not morally wrong or sinful, that a believer's conscience should be troubled by it before God; only in regard to his fellow-man.

If by smoking in the company of others you are subjecting them to danger: then from that point of view it comes down to a lack of love towards your fellow-man if you do; which as a believer in the Lord Jesus Christ, whose desire is to show forth the love of God, smoking in company is not a good witness, and therefore is to be avoided.

Just thoughts.
In Christ Jesus
Chris

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I did see the poll, @farouk, thankfully I never began the smoking habit, for I would have found it very difficult to break it I know.

Smoking was a cultural habit among males in years gone by, and not considered to be a bad thing; now we know that it is harmful to the body, and therefore not advisable. On that basis only would I consider breaking the habit to be a good thing. It is not something for which someone should be condemned, or judged.

It is an anti-social habit in that it affects other people, yes; and we know from research that inhaling cigarette smoke is harmful, even if you are not the one smoking it; but it is not morally wrong or sinful, that a believer's conscience should be troubled by it before God; only in regard to his fellow-man.

If by smoking in the company of others you are subjecting them to danger: then from that point of view it comes down to a lack of love towards your fellow-man if you do; which as a believer in the Lord Jesus Christ, whose desire is to show forth the love of God, smoking in company is not a good witness, and therefore is to be avoided.

Just thoughts.
In Christ Jesus
Chris
I see what you mean; thanks!

I can see that there is more awareness that it can harm others.

Against this - and like you say, years ago it was very much a male thing, although women started smoking a lot, later - some ppl used to try to argue that it was not a 'ladylike' thing to do. (This was probably related to the period when it was perceived as a man thing to do, right?) But I don't buy the 'unladylike' argument, do you?

Better if both genders can quit, of course.

Reactions: charity

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I see what you mean; thanks!

I can see that there is more awareness that it can harm others.

Against this - and like you say, years ago it was very much a male thing, although women started smoking a lot, later - some ppl used to try to argue that it was not a 'ladylike' thing to do. (This was probably related to the period when it was perceived as a man thing to do, right?) But I don't buy the 'unladylike' argument, do you?

Better if both genders can quit, of course.
Hi there, @farouk,

No, it is a problem which is affecting both genders I agree. However, I remember when it was not considered 'ladylike' for a woman to smoke, as you say, and women were frowned upon for indulging in it on that basis; as was a female who entered a public house, either accompanied by a male or alone. Society has changed so very much, and the female and male distinctions are no longer in play. Men no longer open doors for women or rise from their seat on public transport to allow them to sit down. They are no longer deemed to be the weaker sex, and therefore not given the consideration which they received in those days gone by.

Respect and deference on both sides has gone it seems, and society is the poorer for it, I believe.

Within the love of Christ our Saviour,
Chris

Reactions: amadeus

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Hi there, @farouk,

No, it is a problem which is affecting both genders I agree. However, I remember when it was not considered 'ladylike' for a woman to smoke, as you say, and women were frowned upon for indulging in it on that basis; as was a female who entered a public house, either accompanied by a male or alone. Society has changed so very much, and the female and male distinctions are no longer in play. Men no longer open doors for women or rise from their seat on public transport to allow them to sit down. They are no longer deemed to be the weaker sex, and therefore not given the consideration which they received in those days gone by.

Respect and deference on both sides has gone it seems, and society is the poorer for it, I believe.

Within the love of Christ our Saviour,
Chris
@charity: I can see what you mean also; in fact, I would instinctively still do some of the things that are now going out of fashion.

Maybe World War One had a lot to do with changing habits and perceptions; amazingly, in New York City at the beginning of the 20th century a woman was actually arrested for smoking a cigarette in the street; but then came World War One and many women were involved in sending cigarettes to the troops - and many went out to work also in factories while the men were away in the military - until by the 1920s huge numbers of women were breaking the already dated taboo on women smoking. So I think that the whole 'unladylike' thing as regards smoking was pushed too far.

Even though of course if both genders can quit, it's good!

(If this makes any sense?)

Reactions: charity

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America

it is not morally wrong or sinful, that a believer's conscience should be troubled by it before God; only in regard to his fellow-man.
PS: If you could get the nicotine in a far less addictive way such as vaping, do you think you would have been able to stay in control of it more, rather than been controlled by it, so to speak?

(Especially if you were always by yourself and not with others when you did it?)

A lot of ppl find vaping far more satisfactory than smoking cigarettes. Some ppl seem to find vaping a way to get off smoking cigarettes, also.

I read also that in the US prior to the Civil War it was very widespread for women to smoke pipes after church. Kind of a bygone era, I guess, but it kind of proves I suppose that the business of smoking supposedly not being "ladylike" doesn't survive the facts of history. (2c.)

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I really don't like it when people smoke around me, because of the fact that secondhand smoke is even more harmful than the firsthand kind.

That is the only judgment that comes up when someone is blatant about it (i.e. doesn't go away from the group when they are going to smoke a cigarette, but want to even blow it in your face).

On certain occasions however, I have gone to be the companion of those who are ashamed of it enough to go somewhere else when they light up. One friend of mine used to smoke during service (not in the church building lol) and I would go out to keep him company and would share bits and pieces of my faith with him without exhibiting any judgment.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I really don't like it when people smoke around me, because of the fact that secondhand smoke is even more harmful than the firsthand kind.

That is the only judgment that comes up when someone is blatant about it (i.e. doesn't go away from the group when they are going to smoke a cigarette, but want to even blow it in your face).

On certain occasions however, I have gone to be the companion of those who are ashamed of it enough to go somewhere else when they light up. One friend of mine used to smoke during service (not in the church building lol) and I would go out to keep him company and would share bits and pieces of my faith with him without exhibiting any judgment.
I guess he appreciated the thought...

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
the delivery method of the throat hit was what did it for me
Hi, Ms. Nancy; I saw your post on the other thread about your recent upheavals, your highs and lows emotionally, etc. It must have been a trying time recently. So do you still find that for you the vaping still helps, through the throat hits? (i.e., far better than cigarettes).

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Can't really say I've thought much about it, to be honest. I've never smoked, so I've never had to deal with it. Have had plenty of other stuff to, though! Everyone has their own problems, own troubles, and it's easy to point to others and judge. Smoking for some, alcohol for others, food...sex...shopping....idols...you name it. And it I think we struggle in our "western" culture as some things are seen as more socially acceptable than others, and these things we sweep under the rug a bit.
I think, perhaps it comes down to this: God loves you, and probably wants you to care for your body...after all, we are the temple for the Holy Spirit to dwell in. But, our sanctification and walk with God is something that progresses over many years. It can be painfully slow at times. I think we need to stop feeling such condemnation for ourselves and the things we fail in, and just start looking at Jesus more. The more we look at Jesus the more like him we become...and that's what leads to true transformation. That's the way we grow.

Reactions: justbyfaith