Who Wrote the Books of Moses?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did Moses write the 5 Books of Moses?

A sampling of passages . . .

Matthew 8:4 KJV
And Jesus saith unto him, See thou tell no man; but go thy way, shew thyself to the priest, and offer the gift that Moses commanded, for a testimony unto them.

See Leviticus 14

Matthew 19:7-8 KJV
7) They say unto him, Why did Moses then command to give a writing of divorcement, and to put her away?
8) He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so.

See Deuteronomy 24

Matthew 22:24 KJV
Saying, Master, Moses said, If a man die, having no children, his brother shall marry his wife, and raise up seed unto his brother.

See Deuteronomy 25

Mark 7:10 KJV
For Moses said, Honour thy father and thy mother; and, Whoso curseth father or mother, let him die the death:

Exodus . . .

Mark 12:26 KJV
And as touching the dead, that they rise: have ye not read in the book of Moses, how in the bush God spake unto him, saying, I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob?

Exodus . . .

Luke 2:22 KJV
And when the days of her purification according to the law of Moses were accomplished, they brought him to Jerusalem, to present him to the Lord;

Leviticus . . .

John 1:17 KJV
For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.

Exodus 24:3-4 KJV
3) And Moses came and told the people all the words of the LORD, and all the judgments: and all the people answered with one voice, and said, All the words which the LORD hath said will we do.
4) And Moses wrote all the words of the LORD, and rose up early in the morning, and builded an altar under the hill, and twelve pillars, according to the twelve tribes of Israel.

Numbers 33:2 KJV
And Moses wrote their goings out according to their journeys by the commandment of the LORD: and these are their journeys according to their goings out.

Deuteronomy 31:9 KJV
And Moses wrote this law, and delivered it unto the priests the sons of Levi, which bare the ark of the covenant of the LORD, and unto all the elders of Israel.

There has been over the years those who claim Moses wasn't actually the author, of all or part of what is attributed to him. Should we accept that over these plain statements from the Bible? Is there more to this story?

Much love!

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Logic and Faith explains. Moses was trained in Egypt and was literate. Moses talked to Jehovah face to face. Moses had perfect eyesight and hearing. Is it any wonder that God could increase Moses' writing skills, like God gave the Temple makers. Moses had 40 years to write.

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know why he is asking. I remember Ken Hovind said 10 people wrote Genesis.
I believe Jesus, though
I had teachers tell me that 8 or 10 people wrote Genesis. But, go back forty years and see what your writing looked like compared to now. I'm sure Moses writing changed as he wrote over the years. The spirit filled Moses, the victory filled Moses and the Korah rebellion Moses.

Papa Smurf

Jul 6, 2023
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Marks, since the Lord Jesus (when speaking with the Jews who were seeking to kill Him) told us that he did, I'm gonna go with "yes" as the answer to your question :)

John 5
39 “You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; it is these that testify about Me;
40 and you are unwilling to come to Me so that you may have life.
41 I do not receive glory from men;
42 but I know you, that you do not have the love of God in yourselves.
43 I have come in My Father’s name, and you do not receive Me; if another comes in his own name, you will receive him.
44 How can you believe, when you receive glory from one another and you do not seek the glory that is from the one and only God?
45 Do not think that I will accuse you before the Father; the one who accuses you is Moses, in whom you have set your hope.
46 For ~if you believed Moses, you would believe Me~, for he wrote about Me.
47 But if you do not believe his writings, how will you believe My words?”

God bless you!!

--Papa Smurf
p.s. - there is, of course, this as well. What was commanded by Moses..................

Deuteronomy 27
1 Then Moses and the elders of Israel charged the people, saying, “Keep all the commandments which I command you today.
2 So it shall be on the day when you cross the Jordan to the land which the LORD your God gives you, that you shall set up for yourself large stones and coat them with lime
3 and write on them all the words of this law, when you cross over, so that you may enter the land which the LORD your God gives you, a land flowing with milk and honey, as the LORD, the God of your fathers, promised you.
4 So it shall be when you cross the Jordan, you shall set up on Mount Ebal, these stones, as I am commanding you today, and you shall coat them with lime.
5 Moreover, you shall build there an altar to the LORD your God, an altar of stones; you shall not wield an iron tool on them.
6 You shall build the altar of the LORD your God of uncut stones, and you shall offer on it burnt offerings to the LORD your God;
7 and you shall sacrifice peace offerings and eat there, and rejoice before the LORD your God.
8 You shall write on the stones all the words of this law very distinctly.”

.............................was completed by Joshua. The Torah/5 Books of Moses were copied by Joshua onto several large, uncut stones so that all of Israel could see them and read them. IOW, Moses is clearly the human author of the Torah.

Joshua 8
30 Joshua built an altar to the LORD, the God of Israel, in Mount Ebal,
31 just as Moses the servant of the LORD had commanded the sons of Israel, as it is written in the book of the law of Moses, an altar of uncut stones on which no man had wielded an iron tool; and they offered burnt offerings on it to the LORD, and sacrificed peace offerings.
32 He wrote there on the stones a copy of the law of Moses, which he had written, in the presence of the sons of Israel.
33 All Israel with their elders and officers and their judges were standing on both sides of the ark before the Levitical priests who carried the ark of the covenant of the LORD, the stranger as well as the native. Half of them stood in front of Mount Gerizim and half of them in front of Mount Ebal, just as Moses the servant of the LORD had given command at first to bless the people of Israel.
34 Then afterward he read all the words of the law, the blessing and the curse, according to all that is written in the book of the law.
35 There was not a word of all that Moses had commanded which Joshua did not read before all the assembly of Israel with the women and the little ones and the strangers who were living among them.

Last edited:

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Logic and Faith explains.
So, why are we limiting resources on this subject?
Is this too dangerous to have a real discussion?

Moses was trained in Egypt and was literate. Moses talked to Jehovah face to face. Moses had perfect eyesight and hearing. Is it any wonder that God could increase Moses' writing skills, like God gave the Temple makers. Moses had 40 years to write.
So, you assume that it is true with no consideration for other theories, and why they may have some credibility?

@Wick Stick @Rella

Wick Stick

Sep 21, 2023
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

There has been over the years those who claim Moses wasn't actually the author, of all or part of what is attributed to him. Should we accept that over these plain statements from the Bible? Is there more to this story?
There's a lot that could be said... or at least re-capitulated. Scholarship has been analyzing and critiquing the Pentateuch for about 3 centuries now, and there are multiple theories about the authorship of these books.

But let's lay all that aside, and just look at what it says within the actual books.

Deuteronomy says it was written by Moses. You've already quoted the verse.

Exodus, Leviticus, and Numbers all have passages in which Moses either writes something down, or is commanded to write something (and we assume he obeyed). You've quoted several, and there are more besides those.

And Genesis... doesn't say a single word about Moses. It covers a very long time period and Moses didn't live in that period. Genesis is also organized into shorter sections, unlike the other books, that have headings "these are the generation of ____."

I think it's fair to say that Moses probably didn't write Genesis. Genesis is a compilation of older books (uh... scrolls?). If Moses was involved with Genesis, it was as a compiler or editor.

-Jarrod

Last edited:

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

Depends what you mean by write?
Clearly Moses was not an eyewitness of many early parts of Genesis, so he had to have been recording what God told him, other parts are clearly a recording of different genealogies from tribal records.

That said it was Moses who wrote or dictated what is found in the pentateuch.
There is no evidence for the JEDP authors, in fact superior scholarship maintains Moses is the author as many Egyption words are found in these books.
Check out Prof Robert dick Wilson and the results of his research.

Reactions: Nancy and marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There's a lot that could be said... or at least re-capitulated. Scholarship has been analyzing and critiquing the Pentateuch for about 3 centuries now, and there are multiple theories about the authorship of these books.

But let's lay all that aside, and just look at what it says within the actual books.

Deuteronomy says it was written by Moses. You've already quoted the verse.

Exodus, Leviticus, and Numbers all have passages in which Moses either writes something down, or is commanded to write something (and we assume he obeyed). You've quoted several, and there are more besides those.

And Genesis... doesn't say a single word about Moses. It covers a very long time period and Moses didn't live in that period. Genesis is also organized into shorter sections, unlike the other books, that have headings "these are the generation of ____."

I think it's fair to say that Moses probably didn't write Genesis. Genesis is a compilation of older books (uh... scrolls?). If Moses was involved with Genesis, it was as a compiler or editor.

-Jarrod
I wouldn't be surprised if Moses recorded orally transmitted history, at least perhaps in parts.

Do you think that affects God's inspiration for what Moses would record? Do you think it's possible that Moses could have received the information in Genesis directly from God?

Much love!

Rella ~ I am a woman

Jul 27, 2023
SW PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mo ses:

"(Now Moses was a very humble man, more humble than anyone else on the face of the earth.)" - Numbers 12:3 NIV
Rather then who, I find it more interesting to wonder on things like.... how long.By that I mean can Genesis 1 and Genesis 2 be proven to have been written reasonably close to each other.

I ask this... and frankly, surprise, I have no opinion... because I do read Genesis one and can see a lot of seemingly chronological detail there.... Then we get to Chapter 2 and entrers the 7th day.

Now, I am just tossing this into the mix, but could it be that Genesis chapter 2 came into being after the 10 commandments were given to him ? Could he have taken up the task after that?

There is another thing about chapter two that makes no sense... to me. Coming off Chapter 1 withs its detail and the intro to day 7 resting.... we are retold... KJV
4These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day that the LORD God made the earth and the heavens,

Almost as if it was necessary, or thought to be, that creation needs to be retold, and enhanced with Adam, etc. but this time without specifying days.

And what has bugged me for decades... at least a very long time is right on the heels of verse

23And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.

Then comes....

24Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.

And while this is true... Adam had no father or mother to leave.

IMHO this was misplaced yet it is from as far back as I can research old bibles and documents.

Now, having said this... Moses may well have written it all, but with a wide spacing of time between with the
need to re-explain chapter 1. Or someone else might have written Chapter one, and Moses broadened it
to continue on with all of Genesis.... and the rest

Either way I cant comprehend the time it all took for I have a laptop with spell check and I cannot imagine how long it would take me to copy the first 5 books.... Not with all the other work he had to so...

Kudos for his ability

https://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/Genesis-2-5/

Reactions: St. SteVen

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Marks, since the Lord Jesus (when speaking with the Jews who were seeking to kill Him) told us that he did, I'm gonna go with "yes" as the answer to your question :)

John 5
39 “You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; it is these that testify about Me;
40 and you are unwilling to come to Me so that you may have life.
41 I do not receive glory from men;
42 but I know you, that you do not have the love of God in yourselves.
43 I have come in My Father’s name, and you do not receive Me; if another comes in his own name, you will receive him.
44 How can you believe, when you receive glory from one another and you do not seek the glory that is from the one and only God?
45 Do not think that I will accuse you before the Father; the one who accuses you is Moses, in whom you have set your hope.
46 For ~if you believed Moses, you would believe Me~, for he wrote about Me.
47 But if you do not believe his writings, how will you believe My words?”

God bless you!!

--Papa Smurf
p.s. - there is, of course, this as well. What was commanded by Moses..................

Deuteronomy 27
1 Then Moses and the elders of Israel charged the people, saying, “Keep all the commandments which I command you today.
2 So it shall be on the day when you cross the Jordan to the land which the LORD your God gives you, that you shall set up for yourself large stones and coat them with lime
3 and write on them all the words of this law, when you cross over, so that you may enter the land which the LORD your God gives you, a land flowing with milk and honey, as the LORD, the God of your fathers, promised you.
4 So it shall be when you cross the Jordan, you shall set up on Mount Ebal, these stones, as I am commanding you today, and you shall coat them with lime.
5 Moreover, you shall build there an altar to the LORD your God, an altar of stones; you shall not wield an iron tool on them.
6 You shall build the altar of the LORD your God of uncut stones, and you shall offer on it burnt offerings to the LORD your God;
7 and you shall sacrifice peace offerings and eat there, and rejoice before the LORD your God.
8 You shall write on the stones all the words of this law very distinctly.”

.............................was completed by Joshua. The Torah/5 Books of Moses were copied by Joshua onto several large, uncut stones so that all of Israel could see them and read them. IOW, Moses is clearly the human author of the Torah.

Joshua 8
30 Joshua built an altar to the LORD, the God of Israel, in Mount Ebal,
31 just as Moses the servant of the LORD had commanded the sons of Israel, as it is written in the book of the law of Moses, an altar of uncut stones on which no man had wielded an iron tool; and they offered burnt offerings on it to the LORD, and sacrificed peace offerings.
32 He wrote there on the stones a copy of the law of Moses, which he had written, in the presence of the sons of Israel.
33 All Israel with their elders and officers and their judges were standing on both sides of the ark before the Levitical priests who carried the ark of the covenant of the LORD, the stranger as well as the native. Half of them stood in front of Mount Gerizim and half of them in front of Mount Ebal, just as Moses the servant of the LORD had given command at first to bless the people of Israel.
34 Then afterward he read all the words of the law, the blessing and the curse, according to all that is written in the book of the law.
35 There was not a word of all that Moses had commanded which Joshua did not read before all the assembly of Israel with the women and the little ones and the strangers who were living among them.
Yep it was Moses for sure

John 1:45
Philip findeth Nathanael, and saith unto him, We have found him, of whom Moses in the law, and the prophets, did write, Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Those are good points.
Even assuming Moses did write Genesis, it was probably as writing out/recording an oral tradition
already in existence. And probably with some variations to choose from. ???

Not sure if an argument could be made for him writing about the creation and that history of which no one living
had any prior knowledge. And some of the genealogical info may have been kept as family records?

Archeology and science bring some challenges to what was written.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I ask this... and frankly, surprise, I have no opinion... because I do read Genesis one and can see a lot of seemingly chronological detail there.... Then we get to Chapter 2 and entrers the 7th day.
The chapter breaks were inserted in later translation work. (MUCH later)
But, there is an obvious break there.

Now, I am just tossing this into the mix, but could it be that Genesis chapter 2 came into being after the 10 commandments were given to him ? Could he have taken up the task after that?
Perhaps a rewrite was needed to correct the six day week they had been observing. - LOL

Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not sure if an argument could be made for him writing about the creation and that history of which no one living
had any prior knowledge. And some of the genealogical info may have been kept as family records?
I don't have any issues believing God instructed Moses, even giving Moses the particular words to write. If Moses used previous histories, whether oral or written, I have certainty that God instructed Moses in which to use or not use.

When I consider the insights and other info not ordinarily known by 3rd party writers, it seems more likely to me that God simply inspired Moses with what to write.

Much love!

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yep it was Moses for sure

John 1:45
Philip findeth Nathanael, and saith unto him, We have found him, of whom Moses in the law, and the prophets, did write, Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph.
If Moses didn't write it, it was credited to him. Just a way to refer to something.
We do the same with the gospel accounts. Some believe that Matthew, Mark, and Luke did not write those books.
But we happily refer to the gospel according to Matthew, and so on.

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, why are we limiting resources on this subject?
Is this too dangerous to have a real discussion?

So, you assume that it is true with no consideration for other theories, and why they may have some credibility?

@Wick Stick @Rella

Hebrews 8:5 - who serve the copy and shadow of the heavenly things, as Moses was divinely instructed when he was about to make the tabernacle. For He said, “See that you make all things according to the pattern shown you on the mountain.

Acts 7:21-22 - But when he was set out, Pharaoh’s daughter took him away and brought him up as her own son. 22 And Moses was learned in all the wisdom of the Egyptians, and was mighty in words and deeds.