Who Wrote the Books of Moses?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wick Stick

Sep 21, 2023
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Moses went to the land of Midian. Jethro was a Midianite Priest. As you can see. Midianites descended from Abraham. It was no accident that Moses went to the land of Midian. By the way, Ishmaelites came from Abraham too.

Genesis 25:1-2 - Abraham again took a wife, and her name was Keturah. 2 And she bore him Zimran, Jokshan, Medan, Midian, Ishbak, and Shuah.
Jethro was the high priest over Midian, but he wasn't a Midianite. The Bible says he was a Kenite:

Judges 1:16 And the children of the Kenite, Moses' father in law, went up out of the city of palm trees with the children of Judah into the wilderness of Judah, which [lieth] in the south of Arad; and they went and dwelt among the people.

This may be similar to how the High Priest over Judah was a Levite. The Kenites may have been a separate/priestly tribe.

-Jarrod

Reactions: St. SteVen

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Great links, and I shall save these also. (Dand, that cloud is gonna fall on my head soon from weight) but you need to amend your prior post of

"It is widely believed by people of faith that the bible is the authentic word of God and that it’s the oldest book in the world. As a former believer, I myself used to share this perspective as well. But when I began to step away from my religious bias and to seek out the facts for myself, I discovered this not to be true." Source below

It is not clear you are referring to being a former believe that the bible is what you are referncing.

You need to modify this for clarity.

Also, are you saying it is not the authentic word of God? Or does that just apply to modern translations such as King Jimmy's
Was this ever answered?

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who were the synoptic gospels written by?
Yet we call them; Matthew, Mark, and Luke. Not Q2, Q1, and Q3. - LOL
This thread is not about the Gospels, it's concerning the 5 books of Moses. Back to topic. Please.

Much love!

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jethro was the high priest over Midian, but he wasn't a Midianite. The Bible says he was a Kenite:

Judges 1:16 And the children of the Kenite, Moses' father in law, went up out of the city of palm trees with the children of Judah into the wilderness of Judah, which [lieth] in the south of Arad; and they went and dwelt among the people.

This may be similar to how the High Priest over Judah was a Levite. The Kenites may have been a separate/priestly tribe.

-Jarrod

A little research I found was we are both right. Jethro was a Kenite and Midian Priest, However, no relation to Esau.
Jethro and family did join Moses and went into the promised land.

Wick Stick

Sep 21, 2023
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A little research I found was we are both right. Jethro was a Kenite and Midian Priest, However, no relation to Esau.
As far as I know, the Kenites are the descendants of Kenaz, a grandson of Esau. (Gen 36)

At least, that's what the paper I read claimed.

Wick Stick

Sep 21, 2023
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
According the Jewish dictionary, The Kenites originated from the Canaanites.
Ok, in what sense? Like they were descendants of Canaan the son of Ham the son of Noah? (The Bible says not)

Or like they settled in the region of the city of Cana? (Archaeology says they didn't)

Or like they settled in the territory that was historically under the control of the Canaanites (They kinda did, they were mostly south and east of them tbh)

Wick Stick

Sep 21, 2023
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, but Esau/Edom/Amalek, none of these were friendly to Israel. The Kenites were always friends. Jonadab was a Kenite and fought with Jehu and wiped out Ahab and Jezebels reign.
Esau IS Edom. Amalek is one of the tribes of Edom. The Kenites are another tribe of Edom. (Genesis 36)

When Saul attacked the Amalekites and destroyed them, when he arrived the Kenites were living among the Amalekites. He sent word to the Kenites to evacuate. (1 Samuel 15)

It seems like the Kenites were the priestly tribe of the Edomites, like Levi were the priests of Israel. It doesn't explicitly say that in the Bible, but there are a bunch of things that point to it.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We were discussing Moses :)
My point was that sometimes we call something by what it isn't as a way of communicating.
To be clear, I think Moses did write/compile/edit/supply the Books of Moses.
And as we see with the New Testament, there were additions and alterations made by others over time.
I don't think it was a product of automatic writing. (occult psychic ability)

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jethro struck it rich when his father Jed hit black gold - the family then moved to Beverly Hills, CA

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did Moses write the 5 Books of Moses?

A sampling of passages . . .

Matthew 8:4 KJV
And Jesus saith unto him, See thou tell no man; but go thy way, shew thyself to the priest, and offer the gift that Moses commanded, for a testimony unto them.

See Leviticus 14

Matthew 19:7-8 KJV
7) They say unto him, Why did Moses then command to give a writing of divorcement, and to put her away?
8) He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so.

See Deuteronomy 24

Matthew 22:24 KJV
Saying, Master, Moses said, If a man die, having no children, his brother shall marry his wife, and raise up seed unto his brother.

See Deuteronomy 25

Mark 7:10 KJV
For Moses said, Honour thy father and thy mother; and, Whoso curseth father or mother, let him die the death:

Exodus . . .

Mark 12:26 KJV
And as touching the dead, that they rise: have ye not read in the book of Moses, how in the bush God spake unto him, saying, I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob?

Exodus . . .

Luke 2:22 KJV
And when the days of her purification according to the law of Moses were accomplished, they brought him to Jerusalem, to present him to the Lord;

Leviticus . . .

John 1:17 KJV
For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.

Exodus 24:3-4 KJV
3) And Moses came and told the people all the words of the LORD, and all the judgments: and all the people answered with one voice, and said, All the words which the LORD hath said will we do.
4) And Moses wrote all the words of the LORD, and rose up early in the morning, and builded an altar under the hill, and twelve pillars, according to the twelve tribes of Israel.

Numbers 33:2 KJV
And Moses wrote their goings out according to their journeys by the commandment of the LORD: and these are their journeys according to their goings out.

Deuteronomy 31:9 KJV
And Moses wrote this law, and delivered it unto the priests the sons of Levi, which bare the ark of the covenant of the LORD, and unto all the elders of Israel.

There has been over the years those who claim Moses wasn't actually the author, of all or part of what is attributed to him. Should we accept that over these plain statements from the Bible? Is there more to this story?

Much love!

Exod.17

1. [14] And the LORD said unto Moses, Write this for a memorial in a book, and rehearse it in the ears of Joshua: for I will utterly put out the remembrance of Amalek from under heaven.

Exod.34

1. [1] And the LORD said unto Moses, Hew thee two tables of stone like unto the first: and I will writeupon these tables the words that were in the first tables, which thou brakest.
  2. [27] And the LORD said unto Moses, Write thou these words: for after the tenor of these words I have made a covenant with thee and with Israel.

Num.5

[23] And the priest shall write these curses in a book, and he shall blot them out with the bitter water: