Whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit will NOT be forgiven

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Isn't that a bit harsh?

Let's check the context, Matthew 12:

22 Then a demon-oppressed man who was blind and mute was brought to him, and he healed him, so that the man spoke and saw. 23 And all the people were amazed, and said, “Can this be the Son of David?” 24 But when the Pharisees heard it, they said, “It is only by Beelzebul, the prince of demons, that this man casts out demons.”
These Pharisees have hardened their hearts so much that they stubbornly attribute the work of the Holy Spirit to the evil spirit.

31Therefore I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven people, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven.
Stubbornly calling the Holy Spirit evil will not be forgiven.

32 And whoever speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come.
If a person keeps calling the Holy Spirit evil, he cannot be born of the Spirit. The Spirit will not dwell in him. He cannot be born again. It is self-condemning.

Mark 3:

28“Truly, I say to you, all sins will be forgiven the children of man, and whatever blasphemies they utter, 29but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is guilty of an eternal sin”— 30for they were saying, “He has an unclean spirit.”
They stubbornly accuse the Holy Spirit in Jesus as unclean. Persisting in calling the Holy Spirit evil is a specific case of blasphemy against the Spirit. For the general case, see What is the unforgivable sin?.

• Love
Reactions: Nancy

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Isn't that a bit harsh?

Let's check the context, Matthew 12:

These Pharisees have hardened their hearts so much that they stubbornly attribute the work of the Holy Spirit to the evil spirit.

Stubbornly calling the Holy Spirit evil will not be forgiven.

If a person keeps calling the Holy Spirit evil, he cannot be born of the Spirit. The Spirit will not dwell in him. He cannot be born again. It is self-condemning.

Mark 3:

They stubbornly accuse the Holy Spirit in Jesus as unclean. Persisting in calling the Holy Spirit evil is a specific case of blasphemy against the Spirit. For the general case, see What is the unforgivable sin?.
Yes, there are other ways to sin and never be forgiven. For one, rejecting Christ as Savior in a final determination is also unforgivable sin. But as you indicate, this one sin particularly shows a kind of "blasphemy" that will never be forgiven. It is when someone blasphemes not just Jesus, nor God, but the Spirit of God. Directly blaspheming God's Spirit is rejecting Him for all time.

Who knows when somebody rejects Christ if they're rejecting him for all time? We can know this when by discernment we see that someone is blaspheming the Holy Spirit. He may appear to be doing this, but we could be wrong. There could be an ulterior reason for putting on such a demonstration.

But when we exercise the ability to discern, and recognize properly that someone is blaspheming God's Spirit we need to move on and no longer try to reach such a person. They have made their decision eternally.

As I said people can reject God at any time as a final determination and become no longer forgivable. But how do we know when that decision is becoming a "final determination?" Since it is difficult to know without discernment we have to be careful to avoid prejudgments and judgmentalism.

But I can say that Jesus could discern who in his audience was hardened in their rejection of his Salvation, and could therefore speak of their father being the Devil. We need to be careful who we are trying to evangelize. When someone has made their final determination they are a waste of time and a dangerous waste of time.

But blasphemy is more easily discernible. When it even appears to be blasphemy of the Spirit we need see the caution lights going off! I agree with your point. I'm just adding some of my musings about this over many years.

Reactions: TonyChanYT

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, there are other ways to sin and never be forgiven. For one, rejecting Christ as Savior in a final determination is also unforgivable sin. But as you indicate, this one sin particularly shows a kind of "blasphemy" that will never be forgiven. It is when someone blasphemes not just Jesus, nor God, but the Spirit of God. Directly blaspheming God's Spirit is rejecting Him for all time.

Who knows when somebody rejects Christ if they're rejecting him for all time? We can know this when by discernment we see that someone is blaspheming the Holy Spirit. He may appear to be doing this, but we could be wrong. There could be an ulterior reason for putting on such a demonstration.

But when we exercise the ability to discern, and recognize properly that someone is blaspheming God's Spirit we need to move on and no longer try to reach such a person. They have made their decision eternally.

As I said people can reject God at any time as a final determination and become no longer forgivable. But how do we know when that decision is becoming a "final determination?" Since it is difficult to know without discernment we have to be careful to avoid prejudgments and judgmentalism.

But I can say that Jesus could discern who in his audience was hardened in their rejection of his Salvation, and could therefore speak of their father being the Devil. We need to be careful who we are trying to evangelize. When someone has made their final determination they are a waste of time and a dangerous waste of time.

But blasphemy is more easily discernible. When it even appears to be blasphemy of the Spirit we need see the caution lights going off! I agree with your point. I'm just adding some of my musings about this over many years.
I would like to know what blaspheming the Spirit is. The only thing I can come up with is refusing to accept salvation.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would like to know what blaspheming the Spirit is. The only thing I can come up with is refusing to accept salvation.
Tony said it best. When someone insults the Holy Spirit by attributing to Him the work of Satan, then the Blasphemy of the Spirit has been committed.

Whether or not they are in their right mind when doing so may be questionable. The point is, this is what it is, and when it appears to be happening, we should withdraw all evangelical efforts towards such a one. Throwing pearls before swine will just get you trampled!

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Tony said it best. When someone insults the Holy Spirit by attributing to Him the work of Satan, then the Blasphemy of the Spirit has been committed.

Whether or not they are in their right mind when doing so may be questionable. The point is, this is what it is, and when it appears to be happening, we should withdraw all evangelical efforts towards such a one. Throwing pearls before swine will just get you trampled!
The problem I have with that is it was said to Israel and not to Christians. And also there's so much Scripture in the Epistles that says Jesus can forgive to the uttermost.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The problem I have with that is it was said to Israel and not to Christians. And also there's so much Scripture in the Epistles that says Jesus can forgive to the uttermost.
Saying things to Israel is different than saying things to the whole world. But in this case, the principle is the same. If people ascribe to Jesus' miracles the work of Satan they are committing an unpardonable sin. What does it matter whether he's saying this to Jews or to Christian Gentiles? They are God's People when they are in covenant with God.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Saying things to Israel is different than saying things to the whole world. But in this case, the principle is the same. If people ascribe to Jesus' miracles the work of Satan they are committing an unpardonable sin. What does it matter whether he's saying this to Jews or to Christian Gentiles? They are God's People when they are in covenant with God.
There is no such thing as a Christian Gentile. That language is not used in Scripture.

URwrongAgain

Feb 23, 2024
LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is no such thing as a Christian Gentile. That language is not used in Scripture.
Me: Are you a Gentile?
You: Yes
Me: Are you a Christian?
Me: Then you are a Gentile to which is a Christian, a Christian Gentile.

You: Your right, I am wrong, again.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

You: Your right, I am wrong, again.
Have we had this conversation before? You can write your own book and call yourself a Christian Gentile. But God does not use that language and it's His book we are trying to understand. Not your book.

URwrongAgain

Feb 23, 2024
LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Have we had this conversation before? You can write your own book and call yourself a Christian Gentile. But God does not use that language and it's His book we are trying to understand. Not your book.

You: Even though your right I refuse to acknowledge the truth,
because it is not written in a book I worship as my God.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
French isn't in the Bible either. So I suppose there's no such thing?
You are absolutely correct. French is not a group that God is writing to. But you can. You can write books about it and tell everyone about all the great French folks that you know. But God does not speak about the French people and it's Him we are trying to understand. When He writes about Gentiles he means Gentiles. When he writes about Jews He means Jews. He does not write to Christian Jews.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

You: Even though your right I refuse to acknowledge the truth,
because it is not written in a book I worship as my God.
What is written directly to the Jews, belongs to and is for the Jews. What is written directly to the Gentiles, belongs to and is for the Gentiles. What is written directly to the Church of God, belongs to and is for the Church of God. What does God mean when He tells us that the visions shown to Isaiah was concerning Judah and Jerusalem? It was not addressed to us or written concerning us, but it was addressed to and concerning Judah and Jerusalem. It would be dishonest for the Church of God to interpret to the Church of God what God said concerns Israel. When we mix them all together, by jumbling the whole Bible together: Jew, Gentile, and the Church of God, we will be very confused in our understanding of the truth of God’s Word.

URwrongAgain

Feb 23, 2024
LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is written directly to the Jews, belongs to and is for the Jews. What is written directly to the Gentiles, belongs to and is for the Gentiles. What is written directly to the Church of God, belongs to and is for the Church of God. What does God mean when He tells us that the visions shown to Isaiah was concerning Judah and Jerusalem? It was not addressed to us or written concerning us, but it was addressed to and concerning Judah and Jerusalem. It would be dishonest for the Church of God to interpret to the Church of God what God said concerns Israel. When we mix them all together, by jumbling the whole Bible together: Jew, Gentile, and the Church of God, we will be very confused in our understanding of the truth of God’s Word.
Are you a Gentile?

A. Yes, I am a Gentile.
B. No, I am not a Gentile.
C. I do not know.

Which one is true about you?

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are absolutely correct. French is not a group that God is writing to. But you can. You can write books about it and tell everyone about all the great French folks that you know. But God does not speak about the French people and it's Him we are trying to understand. When He writes about Gentiles he means Gentiles. When he writes about Jews He means Jews. He does not write to Christian Jews.
No, I was being a bit sarcastic to make the point. Just because the Bible does not speak in the French language does not mean that it doesn't address issues like "Christian Gentiles" using a different language than I do. I think the concept of "believing Gentiles" is easily found in the Scriptures although that exact term, in English, is not used. The same sense, in Hebrew and in Greek, is there.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you a Gentile?

A. Yes, I am a Gentile.
B. No, I am not a Gentile.
C. I do not know.

Which one is true about you?
I am not a Gentile. I am a Christian that started on the day of Pentecost as recorded in the second chapter of the book of Acts. This is the present administration of Grace that is for the Church of God. It's the time period you and I now belong to because it's the Grace administration, without any distinction made between the Jew and the Gentile, which will end with the appearing of Jesus Christ.

URwrongAgain

Feb 23, 2024
LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's a new one for me. Hide in your words. What does that mean?
That means instead of coming into the light by admitting you are a Gentile who became a Christian, thus a Gentile Christian,
you give me post after post of nothing but words upon words(worthless excuses) to try to evade it.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That means instead of coming into the light by admitting you are a Gentile who became a Christian, thus a Gentile Christian,
you give me post after post of nothing but words upon words(worthless excuses) to try to evade it.
There is not a verse in the Bible that talks about a Gentile Christian. Such a concept does not exist in the mind of God. In your mind it does. But I'm not trying to understand your mind. I'm trying to understand God's.