Forever vs eternal

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
John 6:
51 I am the living bread that came down from heaven. Whoever eats this bread will live forever. This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.”
forever
Strong's 165: From the same as aei; properly, an age; by extension, perpetuity; by implication, the world; specially a Messianic period.
G165 appears 165 times and is polysemantic. It is most frequently translated as "forever", NASB Translation:
age (20), ages (6), ancient time (1), beginning of time (1), course (1), eternal (2), eternity (1), ever* (2), forever (27), forever and ever (20), forevermore (2), long ago (1), never* (1), old (1), time (1), world (7), worlds (1).
Matthew 12:
32 Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age [G165] or in the age to come.
There is another Greek word, Romans 1:
20 For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal [G126] power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.
G126 appears only 2 times. It specifically means "eternal" or "everlasting".

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 6:

forever
Strong's 165: From the same as aei; properly, an age; by extension, perpetuity; by implication, the world; specially a Messianic period.
G165 appears 165 times and is polysemantic. It is most frequently translated as "forever", NASB Translation:

Matthew 12:

There is another Greek word, Romans 1:

G126 appears only 2 times. It specifically means "eternal" or "everlasting".
I wish I was more of a "words" guy, but I leave that expertise to my brother. The hang up I've had over this kind of thing is where the Law says that it shall be "for all your generations." Obviously, that was not the case. What the phrase meant is that the Covenant would be held regularly and in perpetuity *as long as it was needed.* The New Covenant came along and improved it, rendering it useless and superfluous.

Sometimes things are expressed as eternal because they are attached to God's eternal Word. But once they are disassociated from God's word, they lose that value.

For example. the earth, being created by God to be the eternal home for mankind, is called everlasting. But as we all know, it in its present form is destined to end. But I believe that God's word can resolve the problem of a dying world by revitalizing it.

It seems that with respect to aionios (eternal) and aion (age), aion is used in conjunction with the context to indicate "eternity." So I think you have all accurate.

Last edited: