What is the unforgivable sin?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I think there is only one unforgivable sin: A person commits it when he defiantly refuses the Holy Spirit for all time.

Numbers 15 (NIV):

30 “’But anyone who sins defiantly, whether native-born or foreigner, blasphemes the LORD and must be cut off from the people of Israel.
Sinning defiantly is associated with blaspheming the LORD. It is a person who hardens his heart against the LORD. It foreshadows Jesus' concept of blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. Some scribes were defiant despite Jesus' patience with them.

Luke 12:

10 everyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven.
Matthew 12:

31 Therefore I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven people, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven.
What is blasphemy against the Holy Spirit that will never be forgiven?

1 John 1:

9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.
If you confess, then this is proof that you have not committed the unforgivable sin.

How to logically unify Luke 12:10 (Matthew 12:31) and 1 John 1:9?

One way to do it is as follows:

Let P1 = the person who has blasphemed against the Holy Spirit.

This is a sin that P1 refuses to see as a sin. P1 has a hardness of heart. He stubbornly, persistently, and permanently refuses to repent for all time. He will never ask God to forgive him.

As Christians, we do not need to fear. Whether or not you think you have blasphemed against the Holy Spirit, humble yourself before God and He will forgive you all kinds of sins and blasphemies.

For a specific example of blasphemy against the Holy Spirit, see Whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit will NOT be forgiven.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think there is only one unforgivable sin: A person commits it when he defiantly refuses the Holy Spirit for all time.

Numbers 15 (NIV):

Sinning defiantly is associated with blaspheming the LORD. It is a person who hardens his heart against the LORD. It foreshadows Jesus' concept of blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. Some scribes were defiant despite Jesus' patience with them.

Luke 12:

Matthew 12:

1 John 1:

If you confess, then this is proof that you have not committed the unforgivable sin.

This is a sin that P1 refuses to see as a sin. P1 has a hardness of heart. He stubbornly, persistently, and permanently refuses to repent for all time. He will never ask God to forgive him.

As Christians, we do not need to fear. Whether or not you think you have blasphemed against the Holy Spirit, humble yourself before God and He will forgive you all kinds of sins and blasphemies.

For a specific example of blasphemy against the Holy Spirit, see Whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit will NOT be forgiven.

Do you believe they can repent?

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel

Its the sin of dying "un-Pardoned".

How do you do that?

Jesus said..>"if you dont believe in me, then you will die in your sins".

The reason a peson dies "in your sin" is because God on the Cross as Christ has never done this for you, specifically and eternally......

1.) "God hath made Jesus to BE SIN....for US"..

2.) "Jesus is the One TIME.... ETERNAL Sacrifice.....for Sin".

3.) John 3:17 and 2nd Corinthians 5:19... show you the RESULT of having ALL your sin dealt with by God on the Cross.

So, what does all that mean.
It means that the unbeliever is eternally damned right now...... John 3:36.
So, when you meet an unbeliever, never born again, they are Hell bound, waiting to die, to go.
Reader, Are any of your relatives, true unbelievers, never born again?
Pray for them. Talk to them... they are in a bad situation that gets so much worse the second their heart stops beating.
They dont realize it, as their "mind is blinded by the god of this world", but yours is not... and you see what they are facing....
And yes, people can be saved, on their death bed, and Thank God for that mercy.
Not that many make it, as you dont know when your last day, last hour, last second, has come for you.
Hebrews 9:27

So.....Salvation through Christ removes Eternal Damnation from the person.
They are given ETERNAL LIFE. This is the Gift of Salvation....one of them.

Here is the thing to know..
The only sin that follows you after you die, is the unpardonable sin, as that one is ETERNAL.
That is the only sin that is judged in Eternity, by God.
That is the only sin that gets your name taken out of the Lamb's book of Life, after you die, a UNBELIEVER< never born again.

Last edited:

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Numbers 15 (NIV):

Luke 12:

Matthew 12:

1 John 1:

Matthew 12:31
Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.

Well, its not the hardening of the heart as the lord can change that as we see time and time again, but it is the attributing what is of God to evil or in this case to Beelzebub, which is Satan.

Matthew 12:10-24
10 And, behold, there was a man which had his hand withered. And they asked him, saying, Is it lawful to heal on the sabbath days? that they might accuse him.
11 And he said unto them, What man shall there be among you, that shall have one sheep, and if it fall into a pit on the sabbath day, will he not lay hold on it, and lift it out?
12 How much then is a man better than a sheep? Wherefore it is lawful to do well on the sabbath days.
13 Then saith he to the man, Stretch forth thine hand. And he stretched it forth; and it was restored whole, like as the other.
14 Then the Pharisees went out, and held a council against him, how they might destroy him.
15 But when Jesus knew it, he withdrew himself from thence: and great multitudes followed him, and he healed them all;
16 And charged them that they should not make him known:
17 That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Esaias the prophet, saying,
18 Behold my servant, whom I have chosen; my beloved, in whom my soul is well pleased: I will put my spirit upon him, and he shall shew judgment to the Gentiles.
19 He shall not strive, nor cry; neither shall any man hear his voice in the streets.
20 A bruised reed shall he not break, and smoking flax shall he not quench, till he send forth judgment unto victory.
21 And in his name shall the Gentiles trust.
22 Then was brought unto him one possessed with a devil, blind, and dumb: and he healed him, insomuch that the blind and dumb both spake and saw.
23 And all the people were amazed, and said, Is not this the son of David?
24 But when the Pharisees heard it, they said, This fellow doth not cast out devils, but by Beelzebub the prince of the devils.

The Pharisees see that Jesus has just healed a man with a withered hand and now onw possessed by demons, and many people who saw the healings were thinking that He must therefore be the Christ. Compare verse 23 to a few others in Matthew
Matthew 9:27
And when Jesus departed thence, two blind men followed him, crying, and saying, Thou son of David, have mercy on us.

Matthew 21:9
And the multitudes that went before, and that followed, cried, saying, Hosanna to the son of David: Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord; Hosanna in the highest.

So the Pharisees attribute Jesus' ability to exorcise demons to Beelzebul, that is, Satan as you see in verse 24 .Their claim is rebuked by Christ as He notes that the Holy Spirit is behind His power.
Matthew 12:25-28
25 And Jesus knew their thoughts, and said unto them, Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand:
26 And if Satan cast out Satan, he is divided against himself; how shall then his kingdom stand?
27 And if I by Beelzebub cast out devils, by whom do your children cast them out? therefore they shall be your judges.
28 But if I cast out devils by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God is come unto you.

By the Holy Spirit He casts out demons, and then Christ teaches on the blasphemy of the Spirit, thereby indicating that it consists of attributing demonic activity to Jesus.
Matthew 12:31-32
31 Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.
32 And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Matthew 12:31
Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.

Your verse is not directed at the Born again.
They can't commit that sin.

Here is how that works..

There is Blasphemy Against, and there is Blasphemy OF

Blasphemy OF, is a sin that can be committed by an Unbeliever.

Blasphemy Against, is a sin that has to be performed in front of Jesus, and against the Holy Spirit.
So, to commit this one, you'd have to take a time machine, back to Jerusalem, with Jesus there.
You'd have to see Him do miracles, and then say to Jesus, 'you are doing that by the power of the Devil".
So, the born again can't do that one...
The People in the verse, did.

And the Blasphemy of, ... is a sin that is associated with unbelief, and with committing the unpardonable sin of Dying unborn again, = A Christ Rejector.
You can find Jews doing this...committing this sin, in Hebrews 10:26 and in Acts 28:28
And this deed is also = becoming a personal barrier who tries to keep people from being saved, or being taught Theological Truth.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

What is the unforgivable sin?​

The determined abandonment of the gift given.

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

What is the unforgivable sin?​

We read in Mark 3:28-30:

28 Verily I say unto you, All sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, and blasphemies wherewith soever they shall blaspheme:
29 But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation:
30 Because they said, He hath an unclean spirit.

This sin was committed by the Pharisees ONLY!!

For they said that all the miracles that Jesus performed came from the power of an unclean spirit, instead of from the Holy Spirit.

To God Be The Glory

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The only sin that sends you to hell is the sin of rejecting Jesus as your Lord and Savior.
If that's true how do you account for what Jesus said, :You have not chosen me, but I have chosen you?"

To God Be The Glory

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Numbers 15 (NIV):

Luke 12:

Matthew 12:

1 John 1:

Nope the unforgivable siin is thus:

It is declared in Matthew 12.

22 Then was brought unto him one possessed with a devil, blind, and dumb: and he healed him, insomuch that the blind and dumb both spake and saw.

23 And all the people were amazed, and said, Is not this the son of David?

24 But when the Pharisees heard it, they said, This fellow doth not cast out devils, but by Beelzebub the prince of the devils.

25 And Jesus knew their thoughts, and said unto them, Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand:

26 And if Satan cast out Satan, he is divided against himself; how shall then his kingdom stand?

27 And if I by Beelzebub cast out devils, by whom do your children cast them out? therefore they shall be your judges.

28 But if I cast out devils by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God is come unto you.

29 Or else how can one enter into a strong man's house, and spoil his goods, except he first bind the strong man? and then he will spoil his house.

30 He that is not with me is against me; and he that gathereth not with me scattereth abroad.

31 Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.

32 And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.

Mark 3:

22 And the scribes which came down from Jerusalem said, He hath Beelzebub, and by the prince of the devils casteth he out devils.

23 And he called them unto him, and said unto them in parables, How can Satan cast out Satan?

24 And if a kingdom be divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand.

25 And if a house be divided against itself, that house cannot stand.

26 And if Satan rise up against himself, and be divided, he cannot stand, but hath an end.

27 No man can enter into a strong man's house, and spoil his goods, except he will first bind the strong man; and then he will spoil his house.

28 Verily I say unto you, All sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, and blasphemies wherewith soever they shall blaspheme:

29 But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation.

30 Because they said, He hath an unclean spirit.

The blasphemy of the Holy Spirit was a national sin that could only be committed by the nation of Israel (through its leaders) when Jesus walked the earth.

When we see the judgments announced by Jesus it all had to do with the nation of Israewl. In Matt. 13 Jesus completely changed His public teaching. He only spoke to the crowds at that point after matt. 12 in parables.

He also in the Luke part of the Olivet discourse foretold the judgment of that sin that would befall "that generation".

Luke 21:

20 And when ye shall see Jerusalem compassed with armies, then know that the desolation thereof is nigh.

21 Then let them which are in Judaea flee to the mountains; and let them which are in the midst of it depart out; and let not them that are in the countries enter thereinto.

22 For these be the days of vengeance, that all things which are written may be fulfilled.

23 But woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck, in those days! for there shall be great distress in the land, and wrath upon this people.

24 And they shall fall by the edge of the sword, and shall be led away captive into all nations: and Jerusalem shall be trodden down of the Gentiles, until the times of the Gentiles be fulfilled.

This part of the Olivet discourse is vastly different than the Matthew 24 portion of the discourse when Jesus spoke of the abomination of desolation. this is the judgment for the blasphemy of the spirit to the nation of Israel. One has to know that miracles are performed by Jesus, especially th three messianic miracles taught for centuries, see all these and then declare Jesus does His miracles by a demon.

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God calls all. God is unwilling that any perish but still your choice!! Choose wisely.
God does NOT call everybody!!

Many are called but few are chosen.

And there's NONE that seeks after God. Romans 3:10-11.

The word "any" in your statement above must be qualified!

To God Be The Glory

Last edited: