Whose government do you defend or speak good about?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Insight

Aug 7, 2011
Nations like the U.S., the British Commonwealth, and those of continental Europe (including eastern Europe prior to Communism), were founded as traditional Christian nations. That was the main belief of the majority of its founders and its people only a few centuries after Christ's crucifixion, Britain converting to Christ in the first century A.D.

True

It was those nations which took The Gospel of Jesus Christ to the rest of the nations. Many in other nations believed on Christ Jesus, and quite a number of those eventually migrated to those western Christian nations and became blessed under God along with them.

True

But false ones also came, with the intent to overthrow the western Christian nations, and turn its people to following other things, and to forget God and His Christ.

Also true

Now that we have entered a time of overthrow by the locusts, with special interest groups and minorities being given a greater say by the subversive locusts who got into positions of power over us, that means we should now HATE what our Christian nations originally stood for???

If we the people, stand together as a majority under Christ Jesus, it matters not what the 'few' subversives call our nation, nor even when they claim our nation is not a Christian nation. News falsh: they don't represent the majority of the people in our nation anymore; they represent the subversives and special interest groups which they support over us.

Not long now, and those subversives will be removed by our Lord Jesus at His coming. I'm looking forward to it, even to look over at them in the 'pit' to see their shame (Isa.14:15-16).

Until then, I will support the good leaders in my country and its people, and will fight for them and serve them, as I have in the past.

Veteran, I understand why you would justify your past military actions but your conclusion is in total error of the Word. It is out of these nations that God is calling a people for His name.

Based on your above comments you neither know the name of God or its significance in being a called out one. You would also be breaking the first two royal commandments, and in doing this declare yourself to be none of His.

Your life is bought with a price and it’s not yours to make such decisions. You are a slave to Christ and you will do as he pleases and not as the nation’s and their idolatry pleases.

In defence of the Gospel of Jesus Christ which you appear to stand against I challenge you to show me a “good leader” of any nation? Mark 10:18

A true servant of the Lord Jesus Christ would not speak as you do. A true servant is not involved with the affairs of this age because it is soon to pass away.

This was written that others may know that all disciples take no part in politics, wars, unions, and the philosophies of this world.

We only fight (a good spiritual fight) for one country and our citizenship is with Christ in the Heavens…anything less if foolishness.

Insight

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
There is only one Christian nation, that is Israel (not according to the flesh, but the call of God).

It's members are scattered among the earthly nations, which are all just that, earthly!

Buzzfruit

Aug 21, 2011
Bronx, New York, U.S.A
There is only one Christian nation, that is Israel (not according to the flesh, but the call of God).

It's members are scattered among the earthly nations, which are all just that, earthly!

Here is the scripture that echoes that.

1 Peter 2:9-10 (Darby)
[sup]9 [/sup]But ye [are] a chosen race, a kingly priesthood, a holy nation, a people for a possession, that ye might set forth the excellencies of him who has called you out of darkness to his wonderful light;
[sup]10 [/sup]who once [were] not a people, but now God's people; who were not enjoying mercy, but now have found mercy.

Reactions: Prentis

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
Here is the scripture that echoes that.

1 Peter 2:9-10 (Darby)
[sup]9 [/sup]But ye [are] a chosen race, a kingly priesthood, a holy nation, a people for a possession, that ye might set forth the excellencies of him who has called you out of darkness to his wonderful light;
[sup]10 [/sup]who once [were] not a people, but now God's people; who were not enjoying mercy, but now have found mercy.

Yes, which makes me think, the same letter that contains these words starts with...

[sup]1[/sup]Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, to the strangers scattered throughout Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia,
[sup]2[/sup]Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied.

Comm.Arnold

Apr 7, 2011
Here is a quote speaking to the idea of God's elect.

On the last day, only God's elect will be saved: "And He will send His angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they will gather together His elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other" (Matthew 24:31 // Mark 13:27).

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
God tells us to respect and obey the authority (government) He has seen fit to put over us. To that end, that is why I begin every worship service I lead with the Pledge of Allegiance to the American Flag.

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
God tells us to respect and obey the authority (government) He has seen fit to put over us. To that end, that is why I begin every worship service I lead with the Pledge of Allegiance to the American Flag.

Interesting. I think respecting and pleadging allegiance are two very different things. :)

My understanding is that we pledge allegiance to God, and obey God. As long as what the state requires us to do is not against what God asks of us, we obey, and do all things as unto God. When the situation comes up where the state goes against what God asks of us, that is when we say 'We must obey God, not men'.

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
I break it down this way, I can pledge my allegiance to whatever tickles my fancy at the moment (fleshly speaking), but when it comes to brass tacks, my Fidelity is to the Lord. Sometimes we get so caught up in the verbiage that we lose site of the teaching.

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
I break it down this way, I can pledge my allegiance to whatever tickles my fancy at the moment (fleshly speaking), but when it comes to brass tacks, my Fidelity is to the Lord. Sometimes we get so caught up in the verbiage that we lose site of the teaching.

Then though, your pledge of allegiance is lip service, since it only tickles your fancy, right? I'm talking about your pledge to the flag, obviously. :)

I'm asking because it just doesn't make sense to me, why pay lip service to a the flag, when our allegiance is actually with the Lord? Unless we actually mean it when we pledge allegiance to the flag...

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
I don't equate allegiance to fidelity, those are different in my book. Fidelity being the most devout, indissoluble form of obedience. Allegiance is an intellectual ascent to a set of dictates and ideas. I will pledge allegiance to the flag because it represents (currently) a Republican Constitutional form of government. If our government changes to a social dictatorship my allegiance to the flag will be as worthless as the fiat money we currently have.

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm asking because it just doesn't make sense to me, why pay lip service to a the flag, when our allegiance is actually with the Lord? Unless we actually mean it when we pledge allegiance to the flag...

Because something you are a part of does not define you. I think we can all agree here that there are certainly times where the state can supplant God. Just like there are times when religion can supplant God.

However, because someone offers an allegiance to something, like a flag, does not place them in the position of placing that thing before God. I go and get pretty stoked about my Gamecocks playing but because I'm yelling my head off in the stadium does not mean I'm placing a team above God.

This isn't the first occurrence of this type of statement I've seen and you're getting into very dangerous territory when you begin to judge someone because they do something in your eyes. I understand the need for God to be first, as does Andy I am certain, but there's a mile's difference in saying that and living that.

We cannot compartmentalize God. This is a common error we all tend to be guilty of from time to time. For the Christian, there's not secular life and there's not Christian life. We bring Christ to whatever we do, and that means bringing Christ to the table in anything and everything.

I Corinthians 10:31
So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.

You can be a good citizen and still be first and foremost a child of God.

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
I don't equate allegiance to fidelity, those are different in my book. Fidelity being the most devout, indissoluble form of obedience. Allegiance is an intellectual ascent to a set of dictates and ideas. I will pledge allegiance to the flag because it represents (currently) a Republican Constitutional form of government. If our government changes to a social dictatorship my allegiance to the flag will be as worthless as the fiat money we currently have.

The issue then remains that we suscribe to a set of carnal beliefs, and say 'this is a good system, this is a bad system'. In this very doing, we eat of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, making ourselves judge over matters, rather than choosing life, Christ.

The modern and abstract idea we have of Christ makes it possible for us to think we choose Christ, the tree of life, AND the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. We are to actually walk in the kingdom, and be ambassadors of a different way, calling people out of the ways of the world, rather than agreeing with them!

Buzzfruit

Aug 21, 2011
Bronx, New York, U.S.A
Because something you are a part of does not define you. I think we can all agree here that there are certainly times where the state can supplant God. Just like there are times when religion can supplant God.

However, because someone offers an allegiance to something, like a flag, does not place them in the position of placing that thing before God. I go and get pretty stoked about my Gamecocks playing but because I'm yelling my head off in the stadium does not mean I'm placing a team above God.

This isn't the first occurrence of this type of statement I've seen and you're getting into very dangerous territory when you begin to judge someone because they do something in your eyes. I understand the need for God to be first, as does Andy I am certain, but there's a mile's difference in saying that and living that.

We cannot compartmentalize God. This is a common error we all tend to be guilty of from time to time. For the Christian, there's not secular life and there's not Christian life. We bring Christ to whatever we do, and that means bringing Christ to the table in anything and everything.

I Corinthians 10:31
So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.

You can be a good citizen and still be first and foremost a child of God.

If you have pledged allegiance to a flag/Country then you are automatically part of it….you are saying that the Country is where your loyalty is.....unless you are going to play the hypocrite and pretend that is where it is when you know its not. You can't serve two masters.....either you are part of it or you do not.

Being a good citizen does not mean one have to pledge allegiance to the flag.....most natural born citizen of any Country never have to.

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
To pledge allegiance means to promise loyalty. We obey the government as long as what it does is not against what God tells us to do, yes, but we do not pledge allegiance, because it will ask us to do something against the Lord's will, if we go far enough with our Lord.

God tells us to love and die for our enemy, and our state tells us it is right to kill him. Can we agree with it? We cannot walk hand in hand with the world and yet be of Christ. Unless we see that our life that we bring is radically different, it only reveals our worldliness.

Buzzfruit

Aug 21, 2011
Bronx, New York, U.S.A
To pledge allegiance means to promise loyalty. We obey the government as long as what it does is not against what God tells us to do, yes, but we do not pledge allegiance, because it will ask us to do something against the Lord's will, if we go far enough with our Lord.

God tells us to love and die for our enemy, and our state tells us it is right to kill him. Can we agree with it? We cannot walk hand in hand with the world and yet be of Christ. Unless we see that our life that we bring is radically different, it only reveals our worldliness.

I look at it this way: If I am a guess in person's home I don't want to violate any rule that they may have.....because it is not my home. I am a guess, so neither do I participate in how the home is run since my stay is temporary. But I will only obey their rule so as long as it does not involve sinning because that would go against my nature and principle.

Reactions: Prentis

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
I look at it this way: If I am a guess in person's home I don't want to violate any rule that they may have.....because it is not my home. I am a guess, so neither do I participate in how the home is run since my stay is temporary. But I will only obey their rule so as long as it does not involve sinning because that would go against my nature and principle.

You nailed it right on, Buzzfruit! We don't get involved, this is not our home, and we promote another home. Very wise!

lawrance

Mar 30, 2011
I am at home and the rules are Gods rules and the gov has to abide by the rules to, but Satan is at work and it is our Christian duty to defend Christ.
I am not to bothered with some fools rules as that would be a sin.

Christ came into the world so we would have life more abundantly. it's only Satan that robs us of that and all, as he will try to make you weak and pathetic.

Satan will destroy anything and one thing is your respect for this life in this world as some are so lost and are only focus on the next world abandoning this in a in vain pathetic attempt to wipe their hands of there responsibilities in this.

Jesus so loved the world ? think about it.

I get so sick of putting up with gutless dreamers who could not even get up and have a go and carry their Cross, blinded by Satan's trick of that someone has did it all for you, so just sit back and do noting as Satan takes the wheel..

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA

Right.

My allegiance is NOT to those in our country which want to destroy our Christian heritage and nation, and flag, but always to God and His Christ first, and then in my calling to serve Him and... His people who love Him. Clearly His people are not those of the devil that plan to destroy us and this land. When the times comes, which I feel is sooner than most want to think, we each are going to be faced with a choice to bow in false worship to a false one the followers of Satan that are in control are going to setup. To refuse that false one will mean execution for many of us. There's already leaks in the U.S. of people seeing modern gullitines in rail boxcars with shackles. And laws to build internment camps on U.S. military bases assigned to FEMA are around a year old now.

Buzzfruit

Aug 21, 2011
Bronx, New York, U.S.A
I am at home and the rules are Gods rules and the gov has to abide by the rules to, but Satan is at work and it is our Christian duty to defend Christ.
I am not to bothered with some fools rules as that would be a sin.

Christ came into the world so we would have life more abundantly. it's only Satan that robs us of that and all, as he will try to make you weak and pathetic.

Satan will destroy anything and one thing is your respect for this life in this world as some are so lost and are only focus on the next world abandoning this in a in vain pathetic attempt to wipe their hands of there responsibilities in this.

Jesus so loved the world ? think about it.

I get so sick of putting up with gutless dreamers who could not even get up and have a go and carry their Cross, blinded by Satan's trick of that someone has did it all for you, so just sit back and do noting as Satan takes the wheel..

When the Bible says, "God so loved the world", it is talking about the people not the system or the government. So my point is what government to you talk to people about God's or man's? What government did Jesus talk to people about?

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The issue then remains that we suscribe to a set of carnal beliefs, and say 'this is a good system, this is a bad system'. In this very doing, we eat of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, making ourselves judge over matters, rather than choosing life, Christ.

You are simply placing yourself in the moral high ground because you merely safe "Christ first!" in everything. Prentis, that's a wonderful attitude to have but you need not assume everyone else does not place God above everything else because they might see something different than you. It's not your job to declare that, because as I'm sure you'll admit you're making that accusation from a carnal nature to use your wordings.

Matthew 22:17-22
Tell us, then, what you think. Is it lawful to pay taxes to Caesar, or not?"But Jesus, aware of their malice, said, "Why put me to the test, you hypocrites?Show me the coin for the tax." And they brought him a denarius. And Jesus said to them, "Whose likeness and inscription is this?"They said, "Caesar's." Then he said to them, "Therefore render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's."When they heard it, they marveled. And they left him and went away.

I don't know about others here, but I see that as clear reasonable command to fulfill your duties in the governmental system that happens to be over you. Pay your taxes to Caesar, be a model citizen and do the right thing unless it attempts to trump God. Obviously is President Whomever declares I need to worship someone or something other than Jesus, then we have problems, but that's another story.

I Peter 2:13-17
Be subject for the Lord's sake to every human institution,twhether it be to the emperort as supreme,or to governors as sent by him to punish those who do evil and to praise those who do good. For this is the will of God, that by doing good you should put to silence the ignorance of foolish people. Live as people who are free, not using your freedom as a cover-up for evil, but living as servantst of God.Honor everyone. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honor the emperor.

God grants us sight into his heart. We don't do good for the sake of glorifying the government. We do good within whatever system (and keep it mind this was quite the repressive system, they were conquered people afterall, who had been in rebellion!) for the sake of glorifying God Almighty! If people look at Christians and say "wow, they do the right thing when the time comes even though they may be treated this way, I want to know more about a God that instills that level of confidence!"

This is really one of the matters that the Bible is pretty crystal clear on. We surely don't worship the system. We surely don't attempt to place the state, leader, or whatever else anywhere near God, but the Bible, the Word of God, very clearly says be a good citizens, do your duties to honor God.

Just to close out on one more example, let's look at Nehemiah. Nehemiah not only petitioned the king for who he was cup-bearer, but he requested the necessary political tools to travel from Persia to Jerusalem. (Using the system of the day where a king's word meant everything.) When he gets to Jerusalem, he very politically gathers his data at night and devises a plan knowing that hostile peoples encompass him and that getting his own people to see beyond the mess will take an act of God, but he still prepares a plan and doesn't just ask God to make it happen overnight.

Nehemiah 4:15-20
When our enemies heard that it was known to us and that God had frustrated their plan, we all returned to the wall, each to his work.From that day on, half of my servants worked on construction, and half held the spears, shields, bows, and coats of mail. And the leaders stood behind the whole house of Judah,who were building on the wall. Those who carried burdens were loaded in such a way that each labored on the work with one hand and held his weapon with the other.And each of the builders had his sword strapped at his side while he built. The man who sounded the trumpet was beside me.And I said to the nobles and to the officials and to the rest of the people, "The work is great and widely spread, and we are separated on the wall, far from one another. In the place where you hear the sound of the trumpet, rally to us there. Our God will fight for us."

Nehemiah = man of God. When the people of Jerusalem who were rebuilding the wall were presented with a very real danger of military attack, Nehemiah firstly prayed to God for God's protection. It's one of my new favorite prayers in the Bible because Nehemiah just unloads. Imagine Nehemiah's prayer one Sunday morning - most people would probably throw the pastor out of the building...

I digress, though. God protects the land from the immediate attack just before this passage. However, Nehemiah provides a core function of the entire purpose of government (to provide for the common defense- DOI) here when he instructs them to arm and maintains a defensive watchful force. Good citizen....Good leader.

You nailed it right on, Buzzfruit! We don't get involved, this is not our home, and we promote another home. Very wise!

While I agree with Buzzfruit's analogy(which is why I am trying to stay patient and point out we ultimately agree more than we might realize), I do not agree with this statement on top of it. This statement is overused time and again to abscond ourselves from blame or simply to make it seem easier. Yes the Apostle Paul longed to be with Jesus (who shouldn't if you really understand the Savior and what he's promised to us!), but it was not in the sense of this world being a cosmic apartment-for-rent.

Just as I presented above, we teach, preach, proclaim, declare and whatever reasonable else we have to do about Jesus. We take care of what we have been given of God, political system included (while God did not say "Here's democracy, the absolute perfect government!" like some wanna contend, He did form you and place you in a time where he knew full-on what kind of government you'd be under). That means we should treat this world incredibly nicely for no other reason that our really awesome God who should be magnified through all of it!