Whosoever is born of God DOTH NOT COMMIT sin. Really?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
And there you have it. Though we know God says we do not sin ,those who are in Christ .
When God sees us as sinless,how do we insist we are still sinners? After all he did for us?
Please can you tell me where the bible says we do not sin.

Reactions: mailmandan

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Yes.
This morning.
Can't remember. Not in the last decade at least.

And you?
I read the Bible every day. Feel free to join my daily schedule. See Familiarize yourself with the whole Bible by daily reading.

This is the 2nd time I am asking: How often do you read the Bible?

Do you know of any sinless persons like you?

When was the last time you did not straightforwardly answer a question that people had to ask you twice? Are you hiding something?

You know that God will judge the words of your mouth? See if you can give me the verse reference for this one?

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's only possible until you slip up.

IF you dont let know anyone you slip up, no one would ever know you are a sinner.

If people never see you lose your temper, or have covetous thoughts or something like that, how would they ever suspect you as a sinner.

Oh Johnny, was a good pastor, however we caught wind of him touching children, and had to get him the hell out of there.

Everyone can hide behind fig leaves, - false religious practices, dishonest gains, using the bible improperly for an agenda.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
10 For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it. 11 For he who said, “You shall not commit adultery,”[a] also said, “You shall not murder.”[b] If you do not commit adultery but do commit murder, you have become a lawbreaker.

12 Speak and act as those who are going to be judged by the law that gives freedom, 13 because judgment without mercy will be shown to anyone who has not been merciful. Mercy triumphs over judgment.

Gabriel _Arch

Nov 16, 2023
Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I read the Bible every day. Feel free to join my daily schedule. See Familiarize yourself with the whole Bible by daily reading.

This is the 2nd time I am asking: How often do you read the Bible?

Do you know of any sinless persons like you?

When was the last time you did not straightforwardly answer a question that people had to ask you twice? Are you hiding something?

You know that God will judge the words of your mouth? See if you can give me the verse reference for this one?
I answered your Bible reading question already. Why do you not accept it?

Sinless persons? Every God anointed indwelt Christian in Christ.
Maybe you should study our faith before attempting a challenge of we faith-full. :)

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
And there you have it. Though we know God says we do not sin ,those who are in Christ .
When God sees us as sinless,how do we insist we are still sinners? After all he did for us?
We are no longer sinners if we are in Chris: we no longer have a sinful nature. Because when we are in Christ we are being changed into His sinless nature - but it can be a long process.

Reactions: dev553344

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I answered your Bible reading question already. Why do you not accept it?
This is the 3rd and the last time I ask: How often do you read the Bible?

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 John 1:

But then only 2 chapters later, King James Bible 1 John 3:

commit
Verb - Present Indicative Active - 3rd Person Singular

Koine-Greek.com:

The Greek present tense carries a sense of repetitive or routine action.

My paraphrase: Anyone born of God will not routinely practice sin as a matter of fact.

KJV 1 John 3:

English Standard Version:

Two chapters later, this concept is revisited by John in 1 John 5:

The main verb is:
does not keep on sinning
ἁμαρτάνει (hamartanei)
Strong's 264: Perhaps from a and the base of meros; properly, to miss the mark, i.e. to err, especially to sin.

The secondary verb is the participle:
born
γεγεννημένος (gegennēmenos)
Verb - Perfect Participle Middle or Passive - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's 1080: From a variation of genos; to procreate; figuratively, to regenerate.

My paraphrase of 18a:

Now onto the next clause:

The main verb for this clause is:
keeps/protects
τηρεῖ (tērei)
Strong's 5083: From teros; to guard, i.e. To note; by implication, to detain; by extension, to withhold; by extension, to withhold.

The secondary verb is the participle:
was born
γεννηθεὶς (gennētheis)
Verb - Aorist Participle Passive - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's 1080: From a variation of genos; to procreate; figuratively, to regenerate.

My paraphrase of 18b:

Does "born" have the same meaning on the two occasions it occurs in 1 John 5:18?"

On both occasions, they are the same Greek G1080, sharing the same lexical meaning. They differ in tenses. One is in perfect tense; the other is in the aorist.
Or bodies are corrupt and therefore cannot inherit the kingdom of God. I have often seen that verse that he who is born of God does not commit sin to bash people that are of the belief they should confess themselves as sinners. It is also stated in the parable of the tax collector and Pharisee that he who confesses he is a sinner to God is more justified than him who thinks he is righteous.

Let's be honest, the apostles of Jesus were living the most correct lifestyles before God and were probably with the least sin. Paul's teachings can often be mis-construed as they appear to counter a lot of the other gospel messages.

We should encourage one another to obey the laws that God has established for us. But not bash people who confess they are sinners as some do.

This is what Paul said about the bodies of man:

1 Corinthians 15:50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; nor does corruption inherit incorruption. 51 Behold, I tell you a mystery: We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed

I would tend to agree with others that posted that he who is born of God does not practice a sinful lifestyle intentionally but instead desires to please God and obey his commands.

Last edited:
Reactions: TonyChanYT

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Interesting topic.
What is your conclusion?

/
My paraphrase of 1 John 5:

18 We know that
having been born (perfect participle) of God, he does not routinely sin;
having had been born of God clearly and distinctly (aorist participle), God protects him.
When a person was born of God, God planted his seed, the Paraclete, in him. The Paraclete established a connection with his human spirit. This was a singular one-time event. The Paraclete started to protect his human spirit. Satan cannot touch his spirit.

Now, having been born of God, i.e., having the Paraclete dwelling in him, as a natural consequence, he does not routinely sin. His volition is in touch with his spirit connected to the Holy Spirit.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My paraphrase of 1 John 5:

When a person was born of God, God planted his seed, the Paraclete, in him. The Paraclete established a connection with his human spirit. This was a singular one-time event. The Paraclete started to protect his human spirit. Satan cannot touch his spirit.

Now, having been born of God, i.e., having the Paraclete dwelling in him, as a natural consequence, he does not routinely sin. His volition is in touch with his spirit connected to the Holy Spirit.
I like what you are saying here, but unless you are living as the apostles were then we must confess our sins and desire to do better before God:

Acts 4:32 Now the multitude of those who believed were of one heart and one soul; neither did anyone say that any of the things he possessed was his own, but they had all things in common. 33 And with great power the apostles gave witness to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus. And great grace was upon them all. 34 Nor was there anyone among them who lacked; for all who were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the proceeds of the things that were sold, 35 and laid them at the apostles’ feet; and they distributed to each as anyone had need.

Reactions: TonyChanYT

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think you're overthinking it. The stated purpose of the letter is to exhort his flock to resist sinning. It's right up front:

My little children, these things I write to you, so that you may not sin. (1 John 2:1a)

In chapter 3 verse 9, he is appealing to their sense of identity as children of God, and children of God don't sin.

Otherwise, it's a flat-out contradiction.
I've heard this epistle was in part a response to Gnosticism, which taught that physical matter was evil, and spirit was pure--and that, as a result, 1) Christ was a spirit, couldn't have incarnated, bc He'd have been sinful if He'd incarnated, 2) they expect Christians to continue on in gross sin.

Obviously, these are issues John addresses.

Gabriel _Arch

Nov 16, 2023
Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is the 3rd and the last time I ask: How often do you read the Bible?
This shall be the last time I respond yet again.
Everyday.
This may assist your question. Perhaps it is you who need know how often you should read the Bible.
As shall you. You will answer for every word.
Reference is linked above. And here again.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've heard this epistle was in part a response to Gnosticism, which taught that physical matter was evil, and spirit was pure--and that, as a result, 1) Christ was a spirit, couldn't have incarnated, bc He'd have been sinful if He'd incarnated ...
You can see the anti-gnostic defense more in John's second letter:

7 I say this because many deceivers, who do not acknowledge Jesus Christ as coming in the flesh, have gone out into the world. Any such person is the deceiver and the antichrist. (2 John 1:7)​
That's why I say it's unfortunate that Paul used "sarx" ("flesh") to describe the human sin-nature. The NIV may have gotten this right in translating "sarx" as such. "Flesh" does not carry the same overtones of sinfulness in the Hebrew scriptures. For example:

I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh. (Ezekiel 36:26)​
"Flesh" is actually a good thing in this passage. (At least compared to stone.)

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

7 I say this because many deceivers, who do not acknowledge Jesus Christ as coming in the flesh, have gone out into the world. Any such person is the deceiver and the antichrist. (2 John 1:7)​
That's why I say it's unfortunate that Paul used "sarx" ("flesh") to describe the human sin-nature. The NIV may have gotten this right in translating "sarx" as such. "Flesh" does not carry the same overtones of sinfulness in the Hebrew scriptures. For example:

I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh. (Ezekiel 36:26)​
This issue is easily resolved: it is true that our flesh is sinful, which is why Christ destroys it for us when we share in His death (Ro 6:6, 7:4), but Christ's flesh was not. It may be that this was the reason He had to have no human father--the curse of the sinful flesh may be passed through the father (but He did have to have Davidic lineage, and He had that through Mary).

Reactions: Gabriel _Arch

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The reason I mentioned that John's letter is against Gnosticism is because it can be abused otherwise--eg, John says that "every spirit that confesses Christ is come in the flesh is of God", but we know that that cannot be true in every case, because the Galatians were never told to not believe that Christ was incarnated, and, yet, they were misled into believing in a "persuasion" that did not "come from [God]" Gal 5:8, so, it seems some of these statements John makes are only valid in particular contexts.