Why all the focus on homosexuality?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lunar

Nov 23, 2007
(treeoflife;48503)
"What about materialism? What about self-centeredness?" What about them? They are sinful. However, nobody is out there, vehemently, and pointidly saying, verbatim, "materialism" (a general term), and "self-cernteredness" (also a general term) "IS GOOD AN OKAY!" If they were, and when they are... I guarantee you Christians are standing up against it. Those sins are descriptive but you can't put you finger on them. What is, "materialism" and what is "self-certeredness"?
Materialism is a disproportionate preoccupation with material objects, like designer clothes, iPods, and high-definition TVs.Self-centeredness is always thinking of oneself before others.The entire nature of our capitalistic society propagates those two values. Our society, whether it was consciously or unconsciously, created a system of ethics where "right" is where the money is. You can see this every day: People claiming that poor people don't deserve welfare because they should have just found a job and earned the money themselves, as they sit there and buy an expensive new laptop. You don't think that's sinful? And what about the practices of businesses? Look at groups like the RIAA, engaging in financial sabotage upon single mothers just to extract more profit out of a dying industry. Is that not sinful?Personal and corporate greed are easily observable sins that are far more ubiquitous than any gay rights movement. You know this.(treeoflife)
I agree, they are sinful... but if I asked you what homosexuality is, you could define it, *specifically*. It is a physical act.
What? Homosexuality is an attraction, not a sex act. Maybe it's not as easy to define as you think.(treeoflife)
Jesus certainly spoke against selfishness... and so do we... he spoke against being self centered... and so do we. As soon as those sins, specifically, somehow, go to the house to have a bill passed making them okay... so do we.
This is such selective rationalization. If you can't see the implicit greed and materialism in the entire structure of society around you then I don't know what to tell you.(treeoflife)
However, there aren't many "pro-self-centeredness" and "pro-materialsim groups" out there preaching what is unsinful about their views.
Are you kidding me? That's what the entire rhetoric of society at large is today. That's what businesses and advertising are pushing. Of course they don't call it that, but are you honestly saying that advertising and businesses don't give rise to materialism? Are you honestly saying that capitalism doesn't favor the self-centered?

treeoflife

Apr 30, 2008
Materialism is a disproportionate preoccupation with material objects, like designer clothes, iPods, and high-definition TVs.Self-centeredness is always thinking of oneself before others.The entire nature of our capitalistic society propagates those two values. Our society, whether it was consciously or unconsciously, created a system of ethics where "right" is where the money is. You can see this every day: People claiming that poor people don't deserve welfare because they should have just found a job and earned the money themselves, as they sit there and buy an expensive new laptop. You don't think that's sinful? And what about the practices of businesses? Look at groups like the RIAA, engaging in financial sabotage upon single mothers just to extract more profit out of a dying industry. Is that not sinful?
Sounds like you could preach a message about the subtility of sin from a pulpit. I'm not arguing with you about this. As I said, self-centeredness and materialism are sinful.
Personal and corporate greed are easily observable sins that are far more ubiquitous than any gay rights movement. You know this.What? Homosexuality is an attraction, not a sex act. Maybe it's not as easy to define as you think.This is such selective rationalization. If you can't see the implicit greed and materialism in the entire structure of society around you then I don't know what to tell you.Are you kidding me? That's what the entire rhetoric of society at large is today. That's what businesses and advertising are pushing. Of course they don't call it that, but are you honestly saying that advertising and businesses don't give rise to materialism? Are you honestly saying that capitalism doesn't favor the self-centered?
No, I'm not honestly saying that at all. I am honestly giving you an honest answer about why "all the focus" is on homosexuality.You can say it's an attraction, or the act, either way... it is easily definable. It is the sexual attraction and/or fullfilment of that attraction between the same sexes. Man with man, or woman with woman. It's easily definable. Whether its an attraction, or an action, it is homosexual. Homo... sexual.

Lunar

Nov 23, 2007
(treeoflife;48535)
Sounds like you could preach a message about the subtility of sin from a pulpit.
There's nothing subtle about it.(treeoflife)
No, I'm not honestly saying that at all. I am honestly giving you an honest answer about why "all the focus" is on homosexuality.You can say it's an attraction, or the act, either way... it is easily definable. It is the sexual attraction and/or fullfilment of that attraction between the same sexes. Man with man, or woman with woman. It's easily definable. Whether its an attraction, or an action, it is homosexual. Homo... sexual.
So Christian groups focus on homosexuality simply because it's an easily definable issue?The implication there is that Christians only want to pay attention to issues that can be reduced to sound bytes. Social inequity and widespread greed may be bigger problems, but they're too complicated. You can't make a catchphrase like "Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve!" for them, and that's all people want to hear, so they won't bother.Frankly, that's repulsive. Heaven forbid you may have to actually put some thought into your ethics.

treeoflife

Apr 30, 2008
Like it or not, homosexuality is sin. Don't like that? Too bad. I don't need a catch phrase. I have the maker of all the known universe giving the rules in my corner. A catch phrase would be rather obsolete. For the record though... I actually do find the saying, "Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve!" repulsive. It doesn't take the matter seriously... and sin is serious.You're right, there is all kinds of sin in the world... amen to that. I agree.

Lunar

Nov 23, 2007
(Called 2 Conquer;48713)
First off, I can only make you aware of the results of your actions. The authority to carry out that decision on the other hand is not mine so I can not threaten that which I have no authority to carry out. This is one of the things that bug me about non believers. Everytime a Christian mentions hell all of a sudden its a threat. Making people aware of the downside to rebellion is one of our jobs as Christians. If we didn't, we would be leaving some of the non believers blood on our hands from failure to give a complete warning.
It's a warning that falls on deaf ears until we can establish some common ground. Preaching from the bible just doesn't mean anything to someone who simply sees the bible as a historical document.I'm well aware of what the bible says about homosexuality, marriage, premarital sex, kissing, etc. The issue here is that that simply isn't my standard. My standard is examining the naturalistic consequences of our actions.(Called 2 Conquer)
I noted your reaction to my called it a lifestyle. According to dictionary.com Lifestyle - the habits, attitudes, tastes, moral standards, economic level, etc., that together constitute the mode of living of an individual or group. Like it or not homosexuality fits that definition.
No, it doesn't, because "habits," "attitudes," "tastes," all imply a plural. That's why I said a lifestyle was a broad-ranging thing. Homosexuality isn't broad-ranging. It's about one thing: who you are attracted to.Also, if I actually thought that I would go to hell for having homosexual sex then of course I'd be celibate. Weighing infinite punishment against finite rewards isn't difficult. The issue is simply that I don't think that I'll go to hell, or that there is even a hell to go to.

Jackie D

Mar 15, 2008
Lunar:
Well to start, I place very little stock in Leviticus as it makes all sorts of moral claims that even the most conservative Christian would not follow (like those about selling your daughter into slavery), and also because Paul argues that the Mosaic law is, if not completely irrelevant, then definitely secondary to faith in Christ. The passages from Romans, meanwhile, certainly aren't singling out homosexuals in particular, but a vast group of people committing all sorts of sins.
Some may misuse the work of Christ as a means to justify their actions and claim they are okay in the sight of God but-Mat 5:17 "Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill. Mat 5:18 "For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled. Mat 5:19 "Whoever therefore breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. Christ never said that the Law is not applicable today. He did say that the Law was not the way to the Kingdom of Heaven, it is however the continued standards by which we should be living. All commandments remain the same, all sin is still sin and all abominable things will be burned. Believing in Christ is the beginning point of our walk with the Lord, but it by no means takes away from the fact that God is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow. What was considered sin yesterday is still sin today....you can count on this my friend.Lunar:
No, it doesn't, because "habits," "attitudes," "tastes," all imply a plural. That's why I said a lifestyle was a broad-ranging thing. Homosexuality isn't broad-ranging. It's about one thing: who you are attracted to.Also, if I actually thought that I would go to hell for having homosexual sex then of course I'd be celibate. Weighing infinite punishment against finite rewards isn't difficult. The issue is simply that I don't think that I'll go to hell, or that there is even a hell to go to.
well then according to both the OT and the NT you'd better consider greatly what you have claimed, repent and remain celibate...in bold is what catches the eye and catagorized your actions as being homosexual...to act upon your "love" for another man, is considered an abomination and at this point until you have done what you have said you would, it will not matter that Christ teaches love. He also teaches denial of the flesh and obedience to God and His Word. Lev 18:22 You shall not lie with a male as with a woman. It [is] an abomination. Rev 21:8 But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death." Abominablea·bom·i·na·ble Audio Help /əˈbɒmənəbəl/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[uh-bom-uh-nuh-buhl] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation –adjective 1. repugnantly hateful; detestable; loathsome: an abominable crime. 2. very unpleasant; disagreeable: 3. very bad, poor, or inferior: AbominateA*bom`i*na"tion, n. [OE. abominacioun, -cion, F. abominatio. See Abominate.]1. The feeling of extreme disgust and hatred; abhorrence; detestation; loathing; as, he holds tobacco in abomination. 2. That which is abominable; anything hateful, wicked, or shamefully vile; an object or state that excites disgust and hatred; a hateful or shameful vice; pollution. Antony, most large in his abominations. --Shak. 3. A cause of pollution or wickedness. Syn: Detestation; loathing; abhorrence; disgust; aversion; loathsomeness; odiousness. --Sir W. Scott. AbominationA*bom`i*na"tion, n. [OE. abominacioun, -cion, F. abominatio. See Abominate.]1. The feeling of extreme disgust and hatred; abhorrence; detestation; loathing; as, he holds tobacco in abomination. 2. That which is abominable; anything hateful, wicked, or shamefully vile; an object or state that excites disgust and hatred; a hateful or shameful vice; pollution. Antony, most large in his abominations. --Shak. 3. A cause of pollution or wickedness. Syn: Detestation; loathing; abhorrence; disgust; aversion; loathsomeness; odiousness. --Sir W. Scott.Immoral adjective 1. deliberately violating accepted principles of right and wrong I've read through as much of this thread as I care to Lunar. I see your arguments toward your chosen lifestyle as being nothing more than an attempt to justify your choices I applaud the effort...still and all, sin is sin is sin...and there is no amount of justification you can conjure in your mind that will change the fact that active homosexuality is living sin and is an abomination in the eyes of the Lord. blessings