Why are Bible scholars leaving Christianity?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why? Because they're stupid and have been lead astray.
Are you a part of the majority of respondents on this topic that refused to watch even one of the video testimonies?
Apparently so, based on your ignorant comments. These Bible SCHOLARS are not stupid by any stretch.

/

Wick Stick

Sep 21, 2023
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Bible scholars are leaving Christianity in droves. Why?
Not because they don't understand the Bible, obviously. (they're Bible scholars)
Disappointment.

It is VERY disheartening to discover that what your church has been teaching you for years is wrong in major ways. Particularly if that church has been a major focus of your life.

It's also discouraging when you find that your church, other churches, THE church perhaps... they're not interested in any truth they don't already know. They prefer to close their eyes and stay in the comfort of traditions.

I didn't watch the videos. I'm speaking from experience. Having said that, I haven't left Christianity.

- Do you have to be Christian to believe in God?
No, there are plenty of people who believe in God without being Christian - Orthodox Jews, Deists and Muslims for example.

That said, there is no salvation outside of Christ. I imagine being such a person is a bit like watching the last escape pod eject.

- Do you have to agree with the institutional church's positions to believe in God?
Not at all. Depending on the church in question, it may be impossible to believe both.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This link was at the bottom of the OP. May have been overlooked by most readers.

/

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Disappointment.

It is VERY disheartening to discover that what your church has been teaching you for years is wrong in major ways. Particularly if that church has been a major focus of your life.

It's also discouraging when you find that your church, other churches, THE church perhaps... they're not interested in any truth they don't already know. They prefer to close their eyes and stay in the comfort of traditions.

I didn't watch the videos. I'm speaking from experience. Having said that, I haven't left Christianity.
Thank you.
Finally someone who understands what this topic is about.
It only took 33 pages/643 posts to get there. - LOL

/

Reactions: Wick Stick

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's interesting.
Many who know what you and I know have decided to leave. But some, like us have decided to stay.
So, here's a VERY on-topic question.

What makes some leave and some stay?
You pretty well answered the reasons for leaving.
What about reasons for staying?

/

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Anytime consider that they simply didn't want to walk the way the holy Spirit was leading them? Wanting to cleave to cherished sin? Letting self overcome love? Hardening their hearts in the face of conviction, preferring the world than believing in the promises of God? Lovers of pleasure more than lovers of God? Perhaps they did believe in God, maybe even had a relationship with Him, but the love of the world and the things of the world turned them away from truth so that they began to believe a lie. All of the above? That it happened to them let none of us grow complacent. It is a narrow road and there are ditches either side. Let us be circumspect, taking care of the precious gift we have been given, and taking nothing for granted.

Reactions: St. SteVen

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Perhaps they did believe in God, maybe even had a relationship with Him...
Since no one else watched all the videos, I will say you are correct.
By all appearances, these committed folks should not have left.
They were pastors and missionaries and ministers of all sorts.
Their stories are very sobering.

/

Wick Stick

Sep 21, 2023
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What makes some leave and some stay?
You pretty well answered the reasons for leaving.
What about reasons for staying?
Are we talking about leaving God or leaving the church?

Even if the church was wrong about absolutely everything... (it isn't nearly that bad, but for the sake of argument)

God would still be God. I would still believe in a God, a first cause, an omniscience, a collective conscience of mankind. If Christianity didn't exist, or even if all religions didn't exist... philosophy and science would still lead me back to God. Perhaps I wouldn't conceive of Him as a bronze-age weather deity (ok I don't anyway), and perhaps I would be ignorant of His commandments for creating a just society, but I would still believe in God. How exactly does one leave an omnipresent God? If I turn my back, He is still in front of me.

As for the church... they are my culture and my people. If they are frequently wrong, or obstinate, or spiteful... that doesn't stop them from being my culture and my people. If I exile myself, I would be cultureless and people-less, and unable to help them. Where exactly is the benefit of leaving?

I could find a new culture and a new people I suppose, but the new one would still be full of people who are frequently wrong, and obstinate, and spiteful. These things aren't unique to Christianity, they belong to all Humanity.

-Jarrod

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are we talking about leaving God or leaving the church?
Yes, the church.
But some become atheist as well. A whole spectrum of outcomes are possible.

I like the quote from the movie Tracks, a walk across Australia. (from memory)
"On a journey, it's not what you take with you, it's what you leave behind."

Even if the church was wrong about absolutely everything... (it isn't nearly that bad, but for the sake of argument)

God would still be God. I would still believe in a God, a first cause, an omniscience, a collective conscience of mankind.
Well said.
It's hard to account for all this without a transcendent being at the center of it.
There is more than meets the eye. (initially)

/

Ghada

Jul 13, 2023
Damascus
Faith
Christian
Country
Syrian Arab Republic
It is easy to be confused about soul and spirit, as a result of translation difficulties from Hebrew and Greek. I think of it as:
Nonanswer is unbelief.

I don't care what you think of anything. If we can't repeat the Bible with faith, then it's due to unbelief.

spirit - we have a spirit part, which is what survives death in an unconscious (non-functioning) state, and which God can restore to conscious life when He resurrects us.​
body - we have a physical body which enables us to interact with each other and our physical environment. The body can be considered as clothes or a vehicle in which our spirit is confined.​
soul - our individual self, our personality and memories.​

So when we die, the body turns back to physical elements (decays to dust, or is burned, i.e. chemically changed to gases and ashes, or perhaps eaten by animals!) and our spirit part ceases to function. Therefore our soul becomes unconscious (or dead), and is somehow stored in the spirit part.

When God created the first man, Adam, he created a physical body with a spirit part in it, in an unconscious state. He then caused the body to start breathing and functioning, so that Adam became a living, conscious soul - Gen 2:7 (WEB):

"Yahweh God formed man from the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.​

Paul considered that our bodies are like a temporary dwelling place, or clothes, and that in our resurrection God will give us an immortal spirit body - 2 Corinthians 5:1-4 (WEB):

(1) For we know that if the earthly house of our tent is dissolved, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal, in the heavens.​
(2) For most certainly in this we groan, longing to be clothed with our habitation which is from heaven;​
(3) if so be that being clothed we will not be found naked.​
(4) For indeed we who are in this tent do groan, being burdened; not that we desire to be unclothed, but that we desire to be clothed, that what is mortal may be swallowed up by life.

1 Corinthians 15:42-44 (WEB):
(42) So also is the resurrection of the dead {Christians}. The body is sown perishable; it is raised imperishable.​
(43) It is sown in dishonor; it is raised in glory. It is sown in weakness; it is raised in power.​
(44) It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body and there is also a spiritual body.​

No, I don't believe (or teach) that. I believe that the majority of mankind, that has lived since the beginning starting with Adam and Eve, will be resurrected to life at the start of the Millennial Age, and they will live on the earth for up to 1,000 years before then being judged to decide whether they will suffer the second (eternal) death (oblivion as you put it), or whether they will, by the grace of God, have eternal life.

No it doesn't. Where is the Biblical evidence for that? Hell and the grave are one and the same (Hebrew word sheol, Greek word hades) - sometimes it's translated as hell and other times it's translated as grave - just confusing (biased) translation by the translators.

So when God resurrected Jesus it was while Jesus was alive and he repented and was renewed? I don't think so! We, and Jesus, are not resurrected while we are still alive, "in this life". Resurrection occurs after we have died, for most a very long time after we have died - not until Jesus returns for the Church. It is the resurrection of the dead. 1 Thessalonians 4:13-17 (WEB):

(13) But we don’t want you to be ignorant, brothers, concerning those who have fallen asleep, so that you don’t grieve like the rest, who have no hope.​
(14) For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so God will bring with him those who have fallen asleep in Jesus.​
(15) For this we tell you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive, who are left until the coming of the Lord, will in no way precede those who have fallen asleep.​
(16) For the Lord himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with God’s trumpet. The dead in Christ will rise first,
(17) then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air. So we will be with the Lord forever.​

1 Corinthians 15:38 (WEB):
(38) But God gives it a body even as it pleased him, and to each seed a body of its own.​

Thoughts perishing, or ceasing, is just that. You're adding to Scripture by saying that it only applies while we are dead on the earth. Don't believe Satan's lie that you surely won't die. Death is the cessation of life - you can't have conscious thoughts unless you are alive.

Eccliastes 9:5 (WEB):
(5) For the living know that they will die, but the dead don’t know anything, neither do they have any more a reward; for their memory is forgotten.​
Psalms 115:17 (WEB):
(17) The dead don’t praise Yah, neither any who go down into silence;​
1Co 15:13-18
(13) But if there is no resurrection of the dead, neither has Christ been raised.​
...​
(18) Then they also who are fallen asleep in Christ have perished.​

And his thoughts perish, so he can't be of any help then!

If you can't sufficiently prove from Scripture what you believe, and why you think I'm wrong, then it's pointless you participating in this discussion. Just saying something but not giving any Scriptural support for your claims is valueless.

So what is the point of those people, who do not have faith in God and Jesus and have taken the mark of the beast, living for 1,000 years, being ruled over by Jesus and all the resurrected Church for 1,000 years? Those "judged as goats" are not judged until the end of the 1,000 years. If the vast numbers of the dead are not resurected at the beginning of the Millenium, then what is the point of the 1,000 year reign of Christ?

So who will Christ and the resurrected Church be reigning over?

None of us can match up to the perfection of Jesus, though we should try to.

Luke 6:40 (WEB):
(40) A disciple is not above his teacher, but everyone when he is fully trained will be like his teacher.​

Philippians 3:12 (WEB):
(12) Not that I have already obtained, or am already made perfect; but I press on, that I may take hold of that for which also I was taken hold of by Christ Jesus.​

No it's not. It's an abbreviation for Jehovah's Witness.
And all the king's horses and men and explanation make unbelieving humpty dumpty a believer.

JW's obviously aren't the only ones that want to believe in heaven or oblivion, by making the soul the body, and the body the soul, and are one and the same and never apart.

Wick Stick

Sep 21, 2023
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is easy to be confused about soul and spirit, as a result of translation difficulties from Hebrew and Greek. I think of it as:

spirit - we have a spirit part, which is what survives death in an unconscious (non-functioning) state, and which God can restore to conscious life when He resurrects us.​
body - we have a physical body which enables us to interact with each other and our physical environment. The body can be considered as clothes or a vehicle in which our spirit is confined.​
soul - our individual self, our personality and memories.​

So when we die, the body turns back to physical elements (decays to dust, or is burned, i.e. chemically changed to gases and ashes, or perhaps eaten by animals!) and our spirit part ceases to function. Therefore our soul becomes unconscious (or dead), and is somehow stored in the spirit part.
It's easy to be confused because Paul uses the words differently from everyone else.

On the whole, when most Biblical authors use the word "soul," they just mean "person."

You are a soul, you have a body and a spirit.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Therefore our soul becomes unconscious (or dead), and is somehow stored in the spirit part.
How did you arrive at the position of unconscious nonexistence in the afterlife?
Do they call it the afterlife for nothing? - LOL

/

keithr

Dec 4, 2020
Dorset
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
How did you arrive at the position of unconscious nonexistence in the afterlife?
I didn't say "nonexistence". The important point is that death is an unconscious state, like a deep sleep, so that we have no thoughts or feelings. I explained that in my previous posts. Jesus likened death to a sleep, and dead people are referred to as sleeping throughout the Bible, e.g.:

Deuteronomy 31:16 (WEB):
(16) Yahweh said to Moses, “Behold, you shall sleep with your fathers. ...​
2 Samuel 7:12 (WEB):
(12) When your days are fulfilled, and you sleep with your fathers, I will ...​
Psalms 13:3 (WEB):
(3) Behold, and answer me, Yahweh, my God. Give light to my eyes, lest I sleep in death;​
Daniel 12:2 (WEB):
(2) Many of those who sleep in the dust of the earth will awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt.​
John 11:11,13 (WEB):
(11) He said these things, and after that, he said to them, “Our friend, Lazarus, has fallen asleep, but I am going so that I may awake him out of sleep.”​
(13) Now Jesus had spoken of his death, but they thought that he spoke of taking rest in sleep.​
1 Corinthians 15:20 (WEB):
(20) But now Christ has been raised from the dead. He became the first fruits of those who are asleep.​
1 Corinthians 15:51 (WEB):
(51) Behold, I tell you a mystery. We will not all sleep, but we will all be changed,​
Ephesians 5:14 (WEB):
(14) Therefore he says, “Awake, you who sleep, and arise from the dead, and Christ will shine on you.”​
1 Thessalonians 4:15 (WEB):
(15) For this we tell you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive, who are left until the coming of the Lord, will in no way precede those who have fallen asleep.​

Only the second death is nonexistence - Matthew 10:28 (WEB):

(28) Don’t be afraid of those who kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul. Rather, fear him who is able to destroy both soul and body in Gehenna.​

keithr

Dec 4, 2020
Dorset
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
And all the king's horses and men and explanation make unbelieving humpty dumpty a believer.
I had written:

"If you can't sufficiently prove from Scripture what you believe, and why you think I'm wrong, then it's pointless you participating in this discussion. Just saying something but not giving any Scriptural support for your claims is valueless."​

and you reply with that nonsense! Our conversation is at an end.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I didn't say "nonexistence". The important point is that death is an unconscious state, like a deep sleep, so that we have no thoughts or feelings. I explained that in my previous posts. Jesus likened death to a sleep, and dead people are referred to as sleeping throughout the Bible, e.g.:
Check this out.

29 Bible results for “realm of the dead” from the New International Version.

/

Ghada

Jul 13, 2023
Damascus
Faith
Christian
Country
Syrian Arab Republic
I had written:

"If you can't sufficiently prove from Scripture what you believe, and why you think I'm wrong, then it's pointless you participating in this discussion. Just saying something but not giving any Scriptural support for your claims is valueless."​

and you reply with that nonsense! Our conversation is at an end.
Amen!

(Of course, as usual, you leave out the obvious argument by which I conclude your unbelief in some parts of the Bible)

keithr

Dec 4, 2020
Dorset
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Check this out.

29 Bible results for “realm of the dead” from the New International Version.
Taking each of those verses in turn, but using a better translation than the NIV (which I don't like because it is not a very accurate translation):

Numbers 16:32-33 (WEB):
(32) The earth opened its mouth and swallowed them up, with their households, all of Korah’s men, and all their goods.​
(33) So they, and all that belonged to them went down alive into Sheol. The earth closed on them, and they perished from among the assembly.​

In this case the NIV translating sheol as "realm of the dead" instead of the grave, pit, or even hell, is a misleading translation. The context is simply that God caused the ground to open up and swallow them alive, and then close over them, so that they were buried alive. They perished (died); they didn't go to live in some other realm. Anyone in the "realm of the dead" is dead - they are not alive and conscious.

Deuteronomy 32:22 (WEB):
(22) For a fire is kindled in my anger, that burns to the lowest Sheol,devours the earth with its increase, and sets the foundations of the mountains on fire.​

God is using figures of speech to describe his anger. A fire 'in God's anger' is not a description of where dead people reside. He says the fire in His anger is so great that figuratively it would burn down into the earth, past the graves of people (Sheol/hell/grave) and down to the earth beneath mountains. God uses similar speech in other places, e.g. Jeremiah 17:4 (WEB):

(4) You, even of yourself, will discontinue from your heritage that I gave you. I will cause you to serve your enemies in the land which you don’t know, for you have kindled a fire in my anger which will burn forever.”​

Job 26:6 (WEB):
(6) Sheol is naked before God, and Abaddon has no covering.​
KJV:
(6) Hell is naked before him, and destruction hath no covering.​

That is simply saying that nothing is hidden from God ("has no covering"), not even the grave (hell) where dead bodies are. Abaddon means destruction, and it is used as a synonym for the grave (Sheol) - a place where a body of flesh is destroyed ("For you are dust, and to dust you shall return”, Genesis 3:19).

Psalms 9:17 (WEB):
(17) The wicked shall be turned back to Sheol, even all the nations that forget God.​

This doesn't say anything about the state of dead people, it's just saying that wicked people and those that forget God will end up in the grave (Sheol), i.e. dead. It's similar to Psalms 90:3 (WEB):

(3) You turn man to destruction, saying, “Return, you children of men.”​

"Return" means 'return to the earth', where dead bodies are destroyed, as in Psalms 146:4 (WEB):

(4) His spirit departs, and he returns to the earth. In that very day, his thoughts perish.​

Psalms 16:10 (WEB):
(10) For you will not leave my soul in Sheol, neither will you allow your holy one to see corruption.​

Again it says nothing about the state of the dead, which is an unconscious (thoughtless) state. It is prophetic of Jesus, saying that God would not leave Jesus dead (in the grave/tomb), nor would he allow Jesus' human body to decay in the earth.

Psalms 30:3 (WEB):
(3) Yahweh, you have brought up my soul from Sheol. You have kept me alive, that I should not go down to the pit.​
KJV:
(3) O LORD, thou hast brought up my soul from the grave: thou hast kept me alive, that I should not go down to the pit.​

Fairly self-explanatory - David is saying that God has kept him from dying, so that he had not yet gone into the grave (Sheol) or pit (another word with the same meaning as Sheol).

Psalms 31:17 (WEB):
(17) Let me not be disappointed, Yahweh, for I have called on you. Let the wicked be disappointed. Let them be silent in Sheol.​

Again it simply states that when you are dead (in the grave/Sheol) then you are in an unconscious, silent state.

Psalms 49:15 (WEB):
(15) But God will redeem my soul from the power of Sheol, for he will receive me. Selah.​

Again it says nothing about the state of people in Sheol (grave); it just says that God will redeem them.

Psalms 55:15 (WEB):
(15) Let death come suddenly on them. Let them go down alive into Sheol. For wickedness is among them, in their dwelling.​
KJV:
(15) Let death seize upon them, and let them go down quick into hell: for wickedness is in their dwellings, and among them.​

Again it says nothing about the state of people in Sheol (grave).

Psalms 86:13 (WEB):
(13) For your loving kindness is great toward me. You have delivered my soul from the lowest Sheol.​

Proverbs 9:18 (WEB):
(18) But he doesn’t know that the departed spirits are there, that her guests are in the depths of Sheol.​

In context it is saying that those that the foolish woman invites into her house don't know that to enter her house is to quit the land of the living. It is contrasting the way of folly with the way of wisdom.

Proverbs 15:24 (WEB):
(24) The path of life leads upward for the wise, to keep him from going downward to Sheol.​

Ecclesiastes 9:10 (WEB):
(10) Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with your might; for there is no work, nor plan, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in Sheol, where you are going.​

This confirms what I wrote - that there is no conscious thought when you are dead.

Isaiah 14:9,15 (WEB):
(9) Sheol from beneath has moved for you to meet you at your coming. It stirs up the departed spirits for you, even all the rulers of the earth. It has raised up from their thrones all the kings of the nations.​
(15) Yet you shall be brought down to Sheol, to the depths of the pit.​

This passage is a proverb/parable using poetic speech about the fate king of Babylon. The grave/hell doesn't actually move, it cannot wake up or stir up departed spirits, and dead kings are not sitting on thrones in the grave and thay cannot speak. Cypress trees also don't speak (verse 8). It goes on to say:

(15) Yet you shall be brought down to Sheol, to the depths of the pit.​
(19) But you are cast away from your tomb like an abominable branch, clothed with the slain, who are thrust through with the sword, who go down to the stones of the pit; like a dead body trodden under foot.​
(20) You will not join them in burial, because you have destroyed your land. You have killed your people. The offspring of evildoers will not be named forever.​

Etc. I've run out of time, but I think I've made my point that none of the listed verses contradict what I wrote, that the dead are in an unconscious (dormant or sleeping) state.

Last edited:

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Etc. I've run out of time, but I think I've made my point that none of the listed verses contradict what I wrote, that the dead are in an unconscious (dormant or sleeping) state.
You can lead a horse to water...

/