Why are there four Gospel accounts in the New Testament?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm putting you on ignore until you have something worthwhile to say. Adios.

“…I will give you a mouth and wisdom, which all your adversaries shall not be able to gainsay nor resist.” (Luke 21:15)

Thank you Lord!

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where do you suppose Matthew 27:9 came from, if not Matthew's mind?

Michiah-Imla seems to think that the men who wrote the gospels were mindless! It boggles the mind to think how that is possible!

Reactions: RedFan

RedFan

May 15, 2022
New Hampshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
With “brethren” like this and @Jim B who needs atheists…

I find that quite disrespectful, M-I. All I did was ask how you explain Matthew's mistake given your "it didn’t come from their minds" comment. And for that, you insult me. Wouldn't it be better --and more in keeping with the nature of this forum -- just to engage the question and provide an answer?

RedFan

May 15, 2022
New Hampshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your insinuation of the gospels being from the minds of men is insulting sir!

The atheists do this as well.

Why do you take up their sword against the scriptures?

Why?
Is there another explanation for the error in Matthew 27:9? If so, I'd like to hear it!

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is there another explanation for the error in Matthew 27:9? If so, I'd like to hear it!

“Then was fulfilled that which was spoken by Jeremy the prophet, saying, And they took the thirty pieces of silver, the price of him that was valued, whom they of the children of Israel did value;” (Matthew 27:9)

Simple. There is no error.

Zechariah wrote it by inspiration of God in the the book bearing his name (Zechariah 11:12-13).

But Jeremiah SPOKE it, but didn’t write it in his inspired book we have today.

RedFan

May 15, 2022
New Hampshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“Then was fulfilled that which was spoken by Jeremy the prophet, saying, And they took the thirty pieces of silver, the price of him that was valued, whom they of the children of Israel did value;” (Matthew 27:9)

Simple. There is no error.

Zechariah wrote it by inspiration of God in the the book bearing his name (Zechariah 11:12-13).

But Jeremiah SPOKE it, but didn’t write it in his inspired book we have today.

But Zechariah himself is the "I" -- the actor -- referenced in Zechariah 11:12-13. Not Jeremiah. Jeremiah wouldn't have "spoken" those words, recounting a conversation between God and Zechariah years after Jeremiah was dead.

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But Zechariah himself is the "I" -- the actor -- referenced in Zechariah 11:12-13. Not Jeremiah. Jeremiah wouldn't have "spoken" those words, recounting a conversation between God and Zechariah years after Jeremiah was dead.

Your continued limiting of God and His inspired word through human reasoning doesn’t let you see the truth of spiritual revelation.

You erroneously put a limit on when God can reveal things to his prophets.

God said it was spoken by Jeremiah.

So that is what happened!

Zechariah was the prophet that God chose to write the prophecy in question and Jeremiah was the prophet that God chose to speak the prophecy. And that, my friend, could only have been known by an inspired writer with prophecy revealed to him!

An ordinary man would have referenced the book of Zechariah since that would be the only way an uninspired writer would know about the prophecy.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The current textual criticism theory of the Synoptics is that Mark came first.
Do you believe this rubbish, or are you simply telling us what the unbelieving "scholars" believe? If every Gospel was divinely inspired -- and there is no reason to doubt that -- then the Holy Spirit gave each Evangelist the exact Gospel as recorded. They did not need to turn to each other for their material. And Luke 1:3 tells us that his Gospel was "from above": ἔδοξεν κἀμοὶ παρηκολουθηκότι ἄνωθεν πᾶσιν ἀκριβῶς καθεξῆς σοι γράψαι κράτιστε Θεόφιλε. The Greek word "anothen" should really have been translated in that way.

Strong's Concordance
anóthen: from above
Original Word: ἄνωθεν
Part of Speech: Adverb
Transliteration: anóthen
Phonetic Spelling: (an'-o-then)
Definition: from above
Usage: (a) from above, from heaven, (b) from the beginning, from their origin (source), from of old, (c) again, anew.

The four Gospels present four aspects of Christ, and from God's perspective this was essential. At the same time the Gospel of John is unique in the way it is presented.

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually, MATTHEW said it was spoken by Jeremiah.

The word of God lives and abides which is evidence that the “book of Matthew” is in fact the word of God.

“Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which lives and abides for ever.” (1 Peter 1:23)

Where are the words of Matthew? Where are his personal (non gospel) writings today?

RedFan

May 15, 2022
New Hampshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where are the words of Matthew? Where are his personal (non gospel) writings today?

None of his writings, gospel or otherwise, are extant today. We have copies of copies of his gospel (because Christians wanted to preserve it, and so made copies), but not of any other writings he penned. What's your point?

Reactions: Jim B