Why are there so many versions of the Bible?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
mjrhealth said:
1. Dont know dont care, the truth is in Christ and when people go to Him they wil find it.
2. Not your church, in fact no one on this earth. and yelling wont change a thing.
Translation:
1. "I don't have a clue . . ."
2. "Since I don't have a clue - I'll just attack your Church."

Who's "yelling"??
Yelling is when you use exclamation points (!!!).

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
bbyrd009 said:
"In the beginning was the Bible, and the Bible was with God, and the Bible was God."

this is why there are so many versions of the Book.
That's NOT what John 1:1 says.

Jesus isn't the Bible - He is the WORD of God.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
"Since I don't have a clue - I'll just attack your Church."
Attacking your church,?? where, i made a simple statement, your church has no authority, would you want us to agree with a lie??? Religion opposes God in all it does, it keeps man from Him puts words into His mouth even teh bible has become an idle before God, as for the bible it was your church that kept it from the masses it was your church that killed anyone who tried to print it, it was your church that gathered them all up and burnt them, had it written in Latin so the general population couldn't read it, its written it the pages of History. It is so corrupted by man that these forums are testament to how confusing it all is. God is not the author of confusion. God gave us teh Holy Spirit to each us the truth but man has denied Him because man is too smart for God. When Christians discover teh truth teh churches will be empty and teh bible will have no place, and putting things in bold is pretty much yelling.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
mjrhealth said:
And so the bible isnt ???
The Bible is the WRITTEN Word of God.
That's what "Scripture" means - "written".

God's Word has been manifest in Scripture AND Tradition.
Here are some examples of the Word of God NOT found in the Bible:

Acts 15:27 - Judas and Silas, successors to the apostles, were sent to bring God's infallible Word by "word of mouth."

Rom. 10:17 - faith comes by what is "heard" (not just read) which is the Word that is "preached" (not read). This word comes from the ORAL TRADITION of the apostles. Those in countries where the Scriptures are not available can still come to faith in Jesus Christ.

1 Cor. 15:1,11 - faith comes from what is "preached" (not read).The argument that oral tradition once existed but exists "no longer", must be proved from Scripture. But NOWHERE does Scripture say oral tradition died with the apostles. To the contrary, Scripture says the oral word abides forever.

2 Thess. 2:15 - Paul clearly commands us in this verse to obey oral apostolic tradition. He says, "... stand firm and hold to the TRADITIONS which you were taught, EITHER by word of mouth OR letter.
This verse proves that for apostolic authority, oral and written communications are ON PAR with each other. You need to must find a verse that voids this commandment to obey oral tradition elsewhere in the Bible, or you are NOT abiding by the teachings of Scripture.

Matt. 2:23 - the prophecy "He shall be a Nazarene" is ORAL TRADITION. It is not found in the Old Testament. This demonstrates that the apostles relied upon oral tradition and taught by oral tradition.

Matt 23:2 - Jesus relies on the ORAL TRADITION of acknowledging Moses' seat of authority (which passed from Moses to Joshua to the Sanhedrin). This is not recorded in the Old Testament.
Acts 20:35 - Paul relies on the ORAL TRADITION of the apostles for this statement ("it is better to give than to receive") of Jesus. It is not recorded in the Gospels.

1 Cor. 10:4 - Paul relies on the ORAL TRADITION of the rock following Moses. It is not recorded in the Old Testament. See Exodus 17:1-17 and Num. 20:2-13.

Heb. 11:37 - the author of Hebrews relies on the ORAL TRADITION of the martyrs being sawed in two. This is not recorded in the Old Testament.

Jude 9 - Jude relies on the ORAL TRADITION of the Archangel Michael's dispute with satan over Moses' body. This is not found in the Old Testament.

Jude 14-15 - Jude relies on the ORAL TRADITION of Enoch's prophecy which is not recorded in the Old Testament.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
mjrhealth said:
Attacking your church,?? where, i made a simple statement, your church has no authority, would you want us to agree with a lie??? Religion opposes God in all it does, it keeps man from Him puts words into His mouth even teh bible has become an idle before God, as for the bible it was your church that kept it from the masses it was your church that killed anyone who tried to print it, it was your church that gathered them all up and burnt them, had it written in Latin so the general population couldn't read it, its written it the pages of History. It is so corrupted by man that these forums are testament to how confusing it all is. God is not the author of confusion. God gave us teh Holy Spirit to each us the truth but man has denied Him because man is too smart for God. When Christians discover teh truth teh churches will be empty and teh bible will have no place, and putting things in bold is pretty much yelling.
And this claim ALWAYS cracks me up. The idea that the Holy Spirit teaches every individual how to understand Scripture is a man made fallacy.
Why do you think there are almost 50,000 disjointed and perpetually-splintering Protestant factions - ALL teaching different doctrines yet ALL claiming to have the "Truth"??

As for your take on Church history - looks like you've been reading those wacky Jack Chick tracts again.
Your "facts" are as perverted as your doctrine.

As Christianity spread further West, Latin was the lingua franca and it made sense to adopt it as the official language of the Church. There is nothing "sinister" about the Church’s use of Latin as it was the vernacular of the time. Latin is still the Church’s official language – and it is no more mysterious or sinister today than it was in the [SIZE=10pt]Early[/SIZE] Church.
To imply otherwise is to display an abject ignorance of history.

[SIZE=10pt]As for keeping the Bible out of the hands of the common folk - this is yet another exercise in an ignorance of history.
Ummm, for your information - approximately 90% of the population prior to the Middle Ages was completely ILLITERATE. They wouldn'[/SIZE]t have been able to read a Bible if they had been able to acquire one - which, by the way, was almost impossible prior to the invention of the printing press in the 15th century. Prior to that, Bibles were HANDWRITTEN and extremely expensive to come by.because they took YEARS to copy. Churches would chain them to the pulpit for fear of theft because of their worth.

My suggestion to YOU is: Do your homework before you continue this embarrassing display of historical ignorance . . .

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
mjrhealth said:
Its in teh bible even yours you should read it some day.
Really?? show me.
Chapter and verse please . . .

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
1Jn2:27,
Joh 4:23 24
Jon 14:17 that you should take note o,
joh 15:26
joh 16:13
joh 16:7
rom 8;14
gal 4:6

All there but denied by your church for its own doctrines, that is why again there are so many versions. keep teh people from God keep then trapped in religion, when they find Jesus all the churches will be empty

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
mjrhealth said:
1Jn2:27,
Joh 4:23 24
Jon 14:17 that you should take note o,
joh 15:26
joh 16:13
joh 16:7
rom 8;14
gal 4:6

All there but denied by your church for its own doctrines, that is why again there are so many versions. keep teh people from God keep then trapped in religion, when they find Jesus all the churches will be empty
And not ONE of these verses makes the claim that Scripture is to be understood by every individual. In fact - one of the verses you quoted (John 16:!3) - Jesus was speaking only to His Apostles - and NOT the crowds. They were the leaders of His Church.

Peter warns of people like YOU when he writes:
2 Pet. 1:20
Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.

Later on in his Epistle - Peter writes even more about people like YOU:
2 Pet. 3:16
There are some things in them that are hard to understand, which the ignorant and unstable twist to their own destruction, as they do the other Scriptures.

In short - YOU have interpreted the above listed verses incorrectly . . .

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
ya, wadr i think those are addressed to you, who thinks to change times and days, and seeks kings to fight their battles, prolly. Why Catholics even bother with the Bible is kind of beyond me; why not just write another book, like Mormons or whatever, if you aren't going to follow the whole Bible?

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
bbyrd009 said:
ya, wadr i think those are addressed to you, who thinks to change times and days, and seeks kings to fight their battles, prolly. Why Catholics even bother with the Bible is kind of beyond me; why not just write another book, like Mormons or whatever, if you aren't going to follow the whole Bible?
And this is yet another statement made in an abject ignorance of Scripture and history.

First of all - I don't interpret Scripture. That is the Church's job (Luke 10:16, John 16:12-15).

Secondly, your comment about why Catholics "bother" with the Bible illustrates just how ignorant you are of history. It was the Catholic Church that compiled and declared the Canon of Scripture with the help of the Holy Spirit. Your smaller Protestant versions are based on the larger Catholic version.

Answer me this - because NOBODY else has been able to do so:
1. WHO declared the Canon of Scripture that YOU adhere to??
2. WHO had the Authority to do so??

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.
What revelation and being led by the spirit got ot do with private inerpretation thats what scholars do and are very good at it thats whyagain there are so many version of the bible, See you deny the holy spirirt and deny Christ becasue He Jeus and God are all in agrrement andall are the truth, You deny them you deny the truth.
Later on in his Epistle - Peter writes even more about people like YOU:
There are some things in them that are hard to understand, which the ignorant and unstable twist to their own destruction, as they do the other Scriptures.
Coming from you I find that rally sad.

In short - YOU have interpreted the above listed verses incorrectly . . .
and when do you stop fighting God

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
mjrhealth said:
What revelation and being led by the spirit got ot do with private inerpretation thats what scholars do and are very good at it thats whyagain there are so many version of the bible, See you deny the holy spirirt and deny Christ becasue He Jeus and God are all in agrrement andall are the truth, You deny them you deny the truth.
Coming from you I find that rally sad.

and when do you stop fighting God
Interpretation of the Scriptures is left to the Church - NOT the individual.
The Church is the guardian of the Holy Deposit of Faith (2 Tim. 1:13-14).

AGAIN - Peter spoke well of you when he wrote:

2 Pet. 1:20
Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
wadr aren't Catholics the guys confessing to intermediaries, changing times and days, etc? I'm curious how you have been convinced that you are even Christian, wadr. You apparently don't even know what the Church is.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Interpretation of the Scriptures is left to the Church - NOT the individual.
The Church is the guardian of the Holy Deposit of Faith (2 Tim. 1:13-14).
YEs it al about your church we know its your favourite topic, forget Jesus God and teh Holy Spirirt, forget all that Christ died for and Gods plan for mans salvation, who needs it we have your Church.

Act_2:18 And on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy:

Act_2:17 And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:

Rom_8:14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

moost importantly

Joh 10:26 But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep, as I said unto you.
Joh 10:27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:

im not doing this for you, even Jesus couldnt convice the religious of teh truth. They would rather please man than God.

Odn

Jan 13, 2017
Phoenix AZ subborb
bbyrd009 said:
well, no where did they call any Bible the Word of God, but whatever :)

you illustrate why the Book cannot be Word, because, as you say, a bunch of guys got together to decide what was what in the Book. Ergo, It is not the Word.
The Word is God, Word = God, which any Book will make plain. So then Book cannot = Word, or else Bible = God. But it's all in There, in any translation.
True, Bible is NOT = God. Constantine put the books together and made the Bible God, which is why for hundreds of years only the Holiest of fathers the Pope and Priests could open and read from the Bible/god. Many Catholics even today have an alter in their homes with the Bible on it, and a picture of this blond, blue-eyed handsome German-looking fellow on the wall behind the alter, which religious Catholics pray to. So in this way, for them, .. the Bible IS god. (I asked this Filipino lady if she ever read that Bible she had on the beautiful alter? Her answer was just a silent smile.)
God bless.

Reactions: bbyrd009

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
bbyrd009 said:
wadr aren't Catholics the guys confessing to intermediaries, changing times and days, etc? I'm curious how you have been convinced that you are even Christian, wadr. You apparently don't even know what the Church is.
As I have educated you on other threads - the Church is . . .

[SIZE=12pt]Jesus established ONE Church (Matt. 16:16-19). He prayed fervently that this Church remain ONE - as He and the Father are ONE (John 17:20-23).
There is NO other.
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Jesus is Truth itself (John 14:6).[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Jesus promised His Church that the Holy Spirit would guide her to ALL
Truth (John 16:12-15).
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]The Church is the Pillar and Foundation of Truth (1 Tim. 3:15).[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]The Church is the Body of Christ and He is the Head (1 Cor. 12:12-31,
Eph. 4:3-6, Col. 1:8).
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]The Church is the FULLNESS of Christ (Eph. 1:22-23).[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Jesus identifies His very SELF with His Church (Acts 9:4-5).[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Jesus gave the Church supreme Authority on earth and whatever it ordains on earth is also ordained in heaven (Matt. 16:18-19, 18:15-18, Luke 10:16, John 20:21-23).[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]As for confessing to a priest - please interpret the following passage:[/SIZE]

John 20:21-23
Jesus said to them again, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I send you.”
And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, “Receive the holy Spirit.
Whose sins YOU forgive are forgiven them, and whose sins YOU retain are retained.”

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Odn said:
True, Bible is NOT = God. Constantine put the books together and made the Bible God, which is why for hundreds of years only the Holiest of fathers the Pope and Priests could open and read from the Bible/god. Many Catholics even today have an alter in their homes with the Bible on it, and a picture of this blond, blue-eyed handsome German-looking fellow on the wall behind the alter, which religious Catholics pray to. So in this way, for them, .. the Bible IS god. (I asked this Filipino lady if she ever read that Bible she had on the beautiful alter? Her answer was just a silent smile.)
God bless.
I don't know of ONE single Catholic who believes that the Bible is "God."
On the contrary - the Catholic Church has taught for 2000 years that Scripture is merely the WRITTEN Word of God but does not encompass ALL of His It is Protestants like yourself who have placed the Bible in such esteem - not Catholics.

Also - can you give us some documented evidence of your ridiculous claim that Constantine codified the Canon of Scripture???

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
[SIZE=12pt]Jesus promised His Church that the Holy Spirit would guide her to ALL
Truth (John 16:12-15).
[/SIZE]
Who was it talking about twistin words? Says no such thing.

Joh 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
Joh 16:14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

Denying the truth foe the sake of your religion. When will teh lies end.

Status
Not open for further replies.