• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Which of these choices best represent your reason for being a Christian?

• It's just the right thing to do.

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • My parents were Christians.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My friends or acquaintances influenced me the most.

• I just want to be saved.

• I love the opportunities for socializing.

• I get caught up in discussion and/or debates.

• My pastor influenced me the most.

• I want to cooperate with God in ending sin and suffering.

• I care deeply about people.

• I fell in love with Jesus.

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Having grown up without a Father, and had Mother whom had worked two jobs all the time. My life was lived lonely, it was okay though. There were some friends that came here and there, and left and went. Having no one to really teach me as my mother worked all the time and she was so busy. My life revolved mainly around playing video games, that was the biggest escape from my own reality of my existence. My brother and My sister, had both done moved away and out of the house in a very short period time by the time I was about 9 or 10. I never spent any time with them hardly either. When my Sister had Children, I rarely spent time with them as well. Going through school it was okay, no one really bothered me all that much as you can see from reading prior I would mainly keep to myself though I did not mind making a fool of myself if it was to gain the attention of others for a laugh, or a point of the finger to get some type of acknowledgement of my existence. Not that my Mother had not given me that type of acknowledgment as in my early life I loved her dearly until my teenage years hit in which my shoulder turned cold and my heart turned black and void. A woman had come into my life, and we spent time together but it was just a poor excuse of a relationship having only really being about my own enjoyment and not so much about hers, it is such an unfortunate case but nothing to cry about (and boy did I the last time I ever seen her but I was abusive - having taken her phone while we next too each other and breaking it over my knee). More friends came and went, and I would frequent churches around the way. Having no access to driving my main go to was to walk the street, the place I live now has been the same place I have lived for the past 16 years. I never learned about who Jesus Christ was when going to church, though good things were heard about him. So church was more of a social gathering than it was really about learning anything and I believe that is the way many youth groups may be. There had been different church I would go, the most scariest one was being at a Pentecostal church and watching people drop out on their back and start acting as though they were climbing the ladder to heaven. Eventually after years finally getting done with school (dropped out due to they said I would not graduate until 21 at the rate my rate of study was going), I got a GED, after 3 years of being out of school. I believe in 2010, I would have been 19 years old. I didn't care much for God or Jesus though in younger years I would cry out for God to forgive me and promise I wouldn't do things but that I would go back and do them again so my life was a constant repentance however those prayers never got said often. In 2012, there was a time in my life still not having a job, living under my moms roof, giving her a hard time as she continued to work 2 jobs, I would be come very active online and having friends online and doing all kinds of crazy nonsensical stuff, including harassing others, and putting people down, and believing that I was God himself at one point. In 2016 after having finally had got settled in a Job in 2013, there was a man whom would talk about the Parables of Jesus with me, his name Carl. He gave me a bible, and slowly I started to read it as I noticed one day there was that black voice I mentioned earlier having no realized it was really truly dark and void of any light and the only thing I heard about was the healing of Christ Jesus. Having watched some YouTube videos by Paul washer, he drove me more into needing to know who God was, because he talked about in such a way, I was like is this guy serious? Then I found Christ and became a christian, however it was not the easiest thing being a babe in Christ having this new love for the Lord but at the same time looking at other people judging them and condemning as though they were nothing. Then a pastor named Shawn Mcranny had came about somehow on the YouTube and his presentations fascinated me. He helped me in my understanding, and my relationship with Jesus Christ grew, reading the scripture and praying and seeking out God in faith. My life changed from that point forward. The reason I became a Christian? I was lost in darkness, devoid of light, love, or care for anyone because I hated God, hated Christ, and hated my family. Jesus healed me and saved me from my soul (heart/mind/will/emotion) dying to nothing but the darkness that the world gives.

Last edited:

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Having grown up without a Father, and had Mother whom had worked two jobs all the time. My life was lived lonely, it was okay though. There were some friends that came here and there, and left and went. Having no one to really teach me as my mother worked all the time and she was so busy. My life revolved mainly around playing video games, that was the biggest escape from my own reality of my existence. My brother and My sister, had both done moved away and out of the house in a very short period time by the time I was about 9 or 10. I never spent any time with them hardly either. When my Sister had Children, I rarely spent time with them as well. Going through school it was okay, no one really bothered me all that much as you can see from reading prior I would mainly keep to myself though I did not mind making a fool of myself if it was to gain the attention of others for a laugh, or a point of the finger to get some type of acknowledgement of my existence. Not that my Mother had not given me that type of acknowledgment as in my early life I loved her dearly until my teenage years hit in which my shoulder turned cold and my heart turned black and void. A woman had come into my life, and we spent time together but it was just a poor excuse of a relationship having only really being about my own enjoyment and not so much about hers, it is such an unfortunate case but nothing to cry about (and boy did I the last time I ever seen her but I was abusive - having taken her phone while we next too each other and breaking it over my knee). More friends came and went, and I would frequent churches around the way. Having no access to driving my main go to was to walk the street, the place I live now has been the same place I have lived for the past 16 years. I never learned about who Jesus Christ was when going to church, though good things were heard about him. So church was more of a social gathering than it was really about learning anything and I believe that is the way many youth groups may be. There had been different church I would go, the most scariest one was being at a Pentecostal church and watching people drop out on their back and start acting as though they were climbing the ladder to heaven. Eventually after years finally getting done with school (dropped out due to they said I would not graduate until 21 at the rate my rate of study was going), I got a GED, after 3 years of being out of school. I believe in 2010, I would have been 19 years old. I didn't care much for God or Jesus though in younger years I would cry out for God to forgive me and promise I wouldn't do things but that I would go back and do them again so my life was a constant repentance however those prayers never got said often. In 2012, there was a time in my life still not having a job, living under my moms roof, giving her a hard time as she continued to work 2 jobs, I would be come very active online and having friends online and doing all kinds of crazy nonsensical stuff, including harassing others, and putting people down, and believing that I was God himself at one point. In 2016 after having finally had got settled in a Job in 2013, there was a man whom would talk about the Parables of Jesus with me, his name Carl. He gave me a bible, and slowly I started to read it as I noticed one day there was that black voice I mentioned earlier having no realized it was really truly dark and void of any light and the only thing I heard about was the healing of Christ Jesus. Having watched some YouTube videos by Paul washer, he drove me more into needing to know who God was, because he talked about in such a way, I was like is this guy serious? Then I found Christ and became a christian, however it was not the easiest thing being a babe in Christ having this new love for the Lord but at the same time looking at other people judging them and condemning as though they were nothing. Then a pastor named Shawn Mcranny had came about somehow on the YouTube and his presentations fascinated me. He helped me in my understanding, and my relationship with Jesus Christ grew, reading the scripture and praying and seeking out God in faith. My life changed from that point forward. The reason I became a Christian? I was lost in darkness, devoid of light, love, or care for anyone because I hated God, hated Christ, and hated my family. Jesus healed me and saved me from my soul (heart/mind/will/emotion) dying to nothing but the darkness that the world gives.
Thanks for your story Matthew.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for sharing @MatthewG
MUCH LOVE
Hugs

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That "He completes me" line makes me think not of Jerry Maquire but rather that "You complete me" scene with the Joker in Batman.:eek::eek::eek:
I must of missed that episode lol

Wow Batman...
a blast from the past.
lol
hugs

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This was The Dark Knight, circa 2008. But I'll always think of Adam West from the 60's TV series as the real Batman.
Yeah, there some bad karma around that movie.
Columbine... I believe.
Movie theatre massacre...
sure was a dark night.
I never seen that movie.

That's about the time they really started pushing gun control.
(no I don't own a gun, I own a sword)

iu

:D
Hugs

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@amadeus @JunChosen @robert derrick @CharismaticLady @charity @Nancy @Backlit @Tong2020 @marks @Hidden In Him @Christophany @GEN2REV @ReChoired @Ziggy @An Apologetic Sheepdog

I think it is taken for granted that most Christians have basically the same reason for being so. But I also think it's worth exploring. What if you were tried for your faith by a system that was hostile toward it? What would your testimony be if you were faced with this seemingly simple question? I may add or change answers to the poll as requested within reason. Please don't be offended if I haven't included yours. And don't be afraid to make your responses very personal.
I was brought to church by my parents and they taught me about Jesus. My mother was very religious and taught me about God. I was baptized and began to feel the spirit but hid from God. I always felt that I cared about Jesus and maybe even loved him. Later I had God interacting with me and I have since felt the spirit and know God lives.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was brought to church by my parents and they taught me about Jesus. My mother was very religious and taught me about God. I was baptized and began to feel the spirit but hid from God. I always felt that I cared about Jesus and maybe even loved him. Later I had God interacting with me and I have since felt the spirit and know God lives.
You know, I believe in most cases you can get a different answer to the this question on different days from a lot of folks. I don't mean by this that people are inclined to be fickle about it.

But when I saw you had taken @Hidden In Him's advice (which is often a good idea) and chosen this thread (for one) to try to revive, my first thought was to check to see what my first answer to my own question was so I could replicate it somewhat in different words.

And I think it might have been sort of a lengthy testimony. But I decided against that and thought it would be better to just focus on my thoughts on the subject as of today. (Not that I mean to dispute what I said about it in the past.)

I'd have to say that for 50 years Jesus has been chasing me down relentlessly, leaving tokens of His unutterable love for sinners like me here and there and, finally, 32 years ago I got tired and just decided I'd just stop running and wallow in it. Like a dog who isn't fully trained yet, I still get an itch to get up and stretch my legs some, but He always manages to rein me back in. Funny how being a servant of God is actually the most freedom one can experience.

:)

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You know, I believe in most cases you can get a different answer to the this question on different days from a lot of folks. I don't mean by this that people are inclined to be fickle about it.

But when I saw you had taken @Hidden In Him's advice (which is often a good idea) and chosen this thread (for one) to try to revive, my first thought was to check to see what my first answer to my own question was so I could replicate it somewhat in different words.

And I think it might have been sort of a lengthy testimony. But I decided against that and thought it would be better to just focus on my thoughts on the subject as of today. (Not that I mean to dispute what I said about it in the past.)

I'd have to say that for 50 years Jesus has been chasing me down relentlessly, leaving tokens of His unutterable love for sinners like me here and there and, finally, 32 years ago I got tired and just decided I'd just stop running and wallow in it. Like a dog who isn't fully trained yet, I still get an itch to get up and stretch my legs some, but He always manages to rein me back in. Funny how being a servant of God is actually the most freedom one can experience.

Great testimony. I find I'm a slave to some things that I would not like to be. I'm going to try to give up tobacco this month.

Reactions: Brakelite

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Great testimony. I find I'm a slave to some things that I would not like to be. I'm going to try to give up tobacco this month.
I suggest you give up trying to give up things. - lol. Surrender it to Jesus. Be a slave to Him. No man can serve two masters. His yoke is easy, and His burden is light. Only believe. There's active, creative, miracle-working power in His Word. Tell Him you can't do it and He's simply going to have to do it for you, in you. Trust me, it's the only way.

I know you've heard this stuff before. But I'm convinced that no matter how well we think we know that without Him we can do nothing, we still don't believe it and know it well enough.

I've tried and tried and tried to make the lifestyle changes I need to make to restore my health fully, and I still keep falling flat on my face. The only time I ever make any substantial progress is when I get up off my face, crawl to His feet and leave everything right there.

Pro 24:16 KJV For a just man falleth seven times, and riseth up again: but the wicked shall fall into mischief.

I lost 100 lbs over the last year and without Jesus, there's no way I could've done that.

You should have a wife like mine. I smoked when I was in the Air Force, where I met her, and she hated it. Didn't want o be around me if the smell was in my clothes. Wouldn't kiss me if it was on my breath at all. Then when we got married, it was the cigarettes or her, plain and simple. But, I figure Jesus gave me her, so there you go.

Even when you have divine help, a plan to proceed never hurts.

Stop Smoking in Five Days

The Five Day Plan to Quit Smoking by McFarland and Folkenberg

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I suggest you give up trying to give up things. - lol. Surrender it to Jesus. Be a slave to Him. No man can serve two masters. His yoke is easy, and His burden is light. Only believe. There's active, creative, miracle-working power in His Word. Tell Him you can't do it and He's simply going to have to do it for you, in you. Trust me, it's the only way.

I know you've heard this stuff before. But I'm convinced that no matter how well we think we know that without Him we can do nothing, we still don't believe it and know it well enough.

I've tried and tried and tried to make the lifestyle changes I need to make to restore my health fully, and I still keep falling flat on my face. The only time I ever make any substantial progress is when I get up off my face, crawl to His feet and leave everything right there.

Pro 24:16 KJV For a just man falleth seven times, and riseth up again: but the wicked shall fall into mischief.

I lost 100 lbs over the last year and without Jesus, there's no way I could've done that.

You should have a wife like mine. I smoked when I was in the Air Force, where I met her, and she hated it. Didn't want o be around me if the smell was in my clothes. Wouldn't kiss me if it was on my breath at all. Then when we got married, it was the cigarettes or her, plain and simple. But, I figure Jesus gave me her, so there you go.

Even when you have divine help, a plan to proceed never hurts.

Stop Smoking in Five Days

The Five Day Plan to Quit Smoking by McFarland and Folkenberg

Thanks I'll try that :)

Reactions: BarneyFife