Why can these Bible teachings and commands be ignored while others can not?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron Lindahl

Veritatis Amans
Dec 8, 2014
Seattle, WA
Matthew 7 - "Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."

The Christians who repeatedly use their measure and judgment to attack, condemn, persecute, and reject gay people with are now being measured and judged by their same standards, and are found to have fallen far short, and are shown to be full of religious hypocrisy. They have been found to be exactly as the people in Matthew 23:28 describe them. Since they took it upon themselves to judge and measure others in clear defiance of what the Bible teaches 'not' to do, they have thus brought the same judgment back upon themselves as the Bible says will happen in such situations.

Now, here are my questions to every Christian who repeatedly commits the sin listed above:

Where in the Bible does it say it's okay to repeatedly and unrepentantly ignore and disobey the teachings from Paul in 1 Corinthians 14:34-35 and in 1 Timothy 2:11-12 as most Christians do today?

Where in the Bible does it say it's okay to repeatedly and unrepentantly ignore and disobey the 7th Commandment, as defined by Luke 16:18 as most Christians do today?

Why is it that almost all churches openly welcome into their congregations the following people who have committed the following unrepentant sin (as defined by Biblical Scripture), while rejecting and condemning 'unrepentant' homosexuals? Unrepentant, because so many keep divorcing and re-marrying with no rejection or negative consequences by their congregations, such as is done to homosexual people. Is there a place in the Bible where it says you can ignore the sin of people repeatedly committing adultery as defined by the Bible below, but the same people and churches who ignore that sin can repeatedly attack, condemn, and reject gay people for their perceived sins? For some strange reason, no one is able to answer these questions.... unless of course, it is because they are practicing utter religious hypocrisy.

Exodus 20:14 (One of the 10 Commandments)

"You shall not commit adultery.”

Luke 16:18

“Any man who divorces his wife and marries another woman commits adultery, and the man who marries a woman divorced from her husband commits adultery."

1 Corinthians 6:9

Do you not know that unrighteous men will not inherit the kingdom of God? Cherish no delusion here. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor any who are guilty of unnatural crime.”

So many Christians try to rationalize this but it is clear that a true follower of Jesus can neither divorce someone if the spouse has not committed adultery, nor marry someone who is divorced without becoming an adulterer themselves.There is an exception to the rule, however. If a spouse commits adultery, divorce is permissible. On the same token, the Bible also says that anyone who obtains a divorce and marries another is an adulterer. Remember that 83% of this country identifies as Christian yet we have a 50% divorce rate for first marriages, a 67% divorce rate for 2nd marriages, and a 73% divorce rate for 3rd marriages and beyond.. A majority of divorces are a result of irreconcilable differences, not adultery,which shows that such Christians are again practicing selective morality. How many Christians are working on a second, third or fourth marriage?

On the following subject of religious hypocrisy and double-standards, I'm completely aware that for most modern-day churches the following teachings are completely inconvenient and most might say, not applicable to an enlightened, modern society. Still.... why is it that almost all Churches do not obey the following New Testament teachings, and ignore them? Where in the Bible does it say it’s okay to ignore these commands?

1 Corinthians 14:34-35

“Women are to keep silent in the churches; for they are not permitted to speak, but are to subject themselves, just as the Law also says. If they desire to learn anything, let them ask their own husbands at home; for it is improper for a woman to speak in church.…”

1 Timothy 2:11-12

“A woman must quietly receive instruction with entire submissiveness. But I do not allow a woman to teach or exercise authority over a man, but to remain quiet.”

It quite clearly says that an adulterer cannot enter the Kingdom of God, and yet the majority of modern day congregations are all adulterers by the Bible's clear definition, and the majority of modern day congregations allow their women members to speak anytime they wish to in church, even though the Bible clearly says in the New Testament that that's forbidden. So... Please educate me on why the examples of sin, commandments, and teachings listed above can be ignored, while the sin of homosexual love and desire, cannot be.

Ruth

Jan 26, 2009
Hi Aaron,

In the quote you use about not "judging others" it is not fully comprehend when not printed in its full context. Jesus is addressing hypocrites, telling them to take the log (unrepentant sin) out of their own eyes before they have the right to tell others about their sins.

When Christians take it upon themselves to judge others we should have a repentant heart, we should be totally surrendered to God, following His command to love God with our whole heart and mind, and loving our neighbors as ourselves. And then when a family member is in willful sin we can go to him/her and discuss this matter with love. If they are still unrepentant the bible tells us to bring two others to help them to see their sin, and if still no repentance we take the matter to the church.

Apostle Paul teaches us we are NOT to judge the unbeliever for they do not know better, but we are to judge those in the church.

Now when it comes to discussion among nonbelievers and believers there is nothing wrong with pointing out what God and the bible has to say about homosexualality, which God calls sin.

The reason we witness so much debate and discussion about this one sin, homossexuality is because it the sin most of us are drawn to for it is forced into our lives through media and politics, where as the sin you mention adultery, formication and others are not.

If a christian is attending a healthy church that follows the teaching and commands of the bible, with understanding, meaning when you mentioned the scripture about women being silent in church or wearing head dress if an immature christian or nonbelievers are reading these they may not understand this was the culture and not a demand, or the situation in that church was called to follow such a command because of the circumstances taking place in that church.

I do agree many of us and the leaders of church's are in sin and need to repentant before calling out sin in others, and homosexual sin should be confronted and talked about in love.

Aaron Lindahl

Veritatis Amans
Dec 8, 2014
Seattle, WA
Hi Ruth and thank you.

I feel that the Christians who always say that it isn't 'them' that is judging gay people for their sins, but that it's only 'God' who is the one judging are fooling themselves, because it isn't 'God' down here speaking through a burning bush.. rejecting, condemning, and making other people feel like dirt or worthless, but rather 'they' themselves who are doing that, while exhorting others to do the same sinful and hateful thing; thus taking the place of God in doing so. We can see that happening on a much more violent level today in Islam by the ISIS and Al-Qaeda fanatics... who seem to believe that they are 'Allah' or 'God' themselves on this Earth, and take it upon themselves to brutalize, condemn, reject, judge, and in many cases kill the perceived 'sinners' in the name of their God, ignoring all teachings of love and acceptance of our fellow human souls we share this Earth with. Thus began the shameful Christian Inquisition of our past... from precisely such misguided people. For 'our' religion of Christ's teachings, I think the following Biblical Scripture describes them very well, as they are the modern day equivalent of the Pharisees, who used the 'Law' at the time to condemn all others over even the slightest variance from such rigid, static, and unforgiving beliefs, and who even plotted to arrest and then assassinate Jesus Himself, over breaking Scriptural Law because He 'worked' on the Sabbath by picking grain from the fields to feed his hungry followers. Their professed 'love' of others (i.e. 'love the sinner, hate the sin') many times ends up being, or already is the same type of love as a spouse who beats his wife almost to death, and then tells her "I love you so much." It is a truly evil and hateful sickness of both the spirit and the mind, that they infect entire congregations with:

1 Corinthians 13:4-8

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails."

James 4:12

"God alone, who gave the law, is the Judge. He alone has the power to save or to destroy. But you--who do you think you are to judge your neighbor?"

Matthew 23:13-15

“But woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you shut the kingdom of heaven in people's faces. For you neither enter yourselves nor allow those who would enter to go in. Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you travel across sea and land to make a single proselyte, and when he becomes a proselyte, you make him twice as much a child of hell as yourselves."

Matthew 23:28

"In the same way, on the outside you appear to people as righteous but on the inside you are full of hypocrisy and wickedness."

Matthew 23:27

“Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you are like whitewashed tombs, which outwardly appear beautiful, but within are full of dead people's bones and all that is foul and unclean."

1 Timothy 4:1-2
"But the Spirit explicitly says that in later times some will fall away from the faith, paying attention to deceitful spirits and doctrines of demons, speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared as with a hot iron."

Ruth

Jan 26, 2009
Agreed, if christians respond with hate and not love they are not of God, but of the evil One.

We can not blame many of our christian brothers in Christ before the printing of the bible for they only knew the will of God through a corrupt church intertwined with kingdom dominance. Once the bible became printed and people began to learn to read many denominations began being formed because they could be taught by the Holy Spirit themselves and not corrupted priest, teachers, Kings and queens.

And yes there is a great falling away from truth, and Jesus Himself warned us there would be "wolves in sheeps clothing" pretending to be part of Gods family.

You have a good true heart, one that sees the hurt others can cause when they judge without a graceful heart.

Reactions: Aaron Lindahl

Aaron Lindahl

Veritatis Amans
Dec 8, 2014
Seattle, WA
Ruth said:
Agreed, if christians respond with hate and not love they are not of God, but of the evil One.

We can not blame many of our christian brothers in Christ before the printing of the bible for they only knew the will of God through a corrupt church intertwined with kingdom dominance. Once the bible became printed and people began to learn to read many denominations began being formed because they could be taught by the Holy Spirit themselves and not corrupted priest, teachers, Kings and queens.

And yes there is a great falling away from truth, and Jesus Himself warned us there would be "wolves in sheeps clothing" pretending to be part of Gods family.

You have a good true heart, one that sees the hurt others can cause when they judge without a graceful heart.
Hi Ruth, thank you so much and that was very beautifully stated!! God bless you!!

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Timothy 4:12
Don't let anyone belittle you because you are young. Instead, show the faithful, young and old, an example of how to live: set the standard for how to talk, act, love, and be faithful and pure.

Aaron Lindahl

Veritatis Amans
Dec 8, 2014
Seattle, WA
Born_Again said:
1 Timothy 4:12
Don't let anyone belittle you because you are young. Instead, show the faithful, young and old, an example of how to live: set the standard for how to talk, act, love, and be faithful and pure.
That is a very beautiful verse, Born_Again!

tommie

May 5, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dear Aaron, God love you as much as He loves any person, Christian or non christian.He died for every person. The God of the bible IS love. When Adam and Eve disobeyed God by listening to Satan and eating of the fruit of the tree He said not to, sin and death entered in. Now we have a sin nature. God had a plan and we broke it. If Adam and Eve hadn't sinned, you or I would have done it. We were destined for death. Jesus went to the cross to take our punishment because we are ALL sinners. He took our punishment because no one is good enough or ever will be good enough to go to heaven by their own works. Some of us sin outwardly and some sin hidden. We all sin. Billy Graham is even a sinner, a forgiven sinner. When we accept Jesus, hopefully we try not to sin because of what Jesus did for us. We try to be Christlike. The Holy Spirit, that has indwelt our heart when we accepted Jesus, will help. Some of us are better at following than others. God takes every person where they are at and grows them. Along the way, people can make bad choices and this is where hurt comes in. God wants the best for us so He wrote the bible to teach us.It says that an important purpose for us on earth is to glorify Him. We put God's wants and desires before our own. The way we give glory is to obey the teachings of the bible in ALL areas. God says we need to be good in the little things as well as the big things. I am not perfect in any way, shape or fashion but I do try to follow the teachings of the bible in All areas and repent when I mess up. If I can't see my sin, my christian brothers or sisters will call me on it in love. I then repent and keep going....That is what God wants everyone to do. Homosexual behavior is a sin just like any other sin, unfortunately, any sin is egregious to God. The only way we can be seen by God as sinless is by the covering of Jesus blood. Through that blood, we are seen as sinless. We need to accept Jesus as our savior and follow him. God the father is our judge and that is who we need to make sure we are right with. God is Love. God is Just. He doesn't want anyone go to hell, but many will choose to go there because they wont follow, obey or ask forgiveness from Him when they mess up. He gives everyone there own choice. God is our judge in the end. Keep your eyes on Him, not on the ugly things people do. God will deal with them......

Reactions: Born_Again

SpiritandTruth

Nov 25, 2014
Aaron Lindahl said:
Matthew 7 - "Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."
The people who call themselves Christians today and you,
do not have the understanding and comprehension of this saying
that Jesus preached to those people in that day in time.

I rather doubt they understood it either. Not at that time.
For to know it, you must have the indwelling of the Holy Ghost.

Do you want me to reveal to you the secret to this mystery?

Ruth

Jan 26, 2009
SpiritandTruth said:
The people who call themselves Christians today and you,
do not have the understanding and comprehension of this saying
that Jesus preached to those people in that day in time.

I rather doubt they understood it either. Not at that time.
For to know it, you must have the indwelling of the Holy Ghost.

Do you want me to reveal to you the secret to this mystery?
There is no secret, the bible teaches it clearly, as I stated in my reply.

SpiritandTruth

Nov 25, 2014
Ruth said:
There is no secret, the bible teaches it clearly, as I stated in my reply.
That is what you say. I say you are wrong. So how are we going to determine who is right?
Just because you say this or that does not make you right.

Just because you said it.

or believe it.

I am sometimes amazed at these people on Christian tv and on the internet
and even in the churches that deem what they say and believe is right no matter what.

Just because they said it and believe it.

The truth is they are most all wrong.

And I have yet to find ANY that actually comprehend enough to discuss with me
what they believe without contradicting themselves or out right just refuse to answer
simple yes or no questions because if they do it will prove that which they believe to be false.

In fact I claim that the majority of everything all the Christians in all the world is

FALSE.

In fact I claim that the majority of everything all the Christians in all the world
believe and witness and teach to others is

FALSE.

That is one reason Christianity is in such a big mess and on the decline.

So Ruth

So how are we going to determine who is right?

Ah and 1 more thing.

They all seem to think just because they have been at it for 30 years
that makes them RIGHT and what they believe RIGHT. And they cannot be deceived.

The longer you are deceived the harder it is to see it.
The longer you have a bad habit the harder it is to break it.

Unless God intervenes their is no hope for them.

Take you for example. Even when and if I prove that what you believe is a lie.

You will still believe the lie and reject the truth.

They always do unless God intervenes.

Reactions: leroycimmarron

leroycimmarron

Jun 20, 2014
oklahoma
I agree with you all of the Bible teachings should be taught and not ignored. In fact there are many churches who do not allow adultery(divorce and remmarying) and the things you mentioned. As for the homosexual thing. It is a society problem. The society says its ok when the Bible clearly tits not. As Christians we should stand firm and not allow this propaganda to infiltrate the church.

Aaron Lindahl

Veritatis Amans
Dec 8, 2014
Seattle, WA
leroycimmarron said:
I agree with you all of the Bible teachings should be taught and not ignored. In fact there are many churches who do not allow adultery(divorce and remmarying) and the things you mentioned. As for the homosexual thing. It is a society problem. The society says its ok when the Bible clearly tits not. As Christians we should stand firm and not allow this propaganda to infiltrate the church.
Hi leroy, I'm sorry but we'll have to agree to disagree.

Romans 1:26-27

“Through this, God gave them over to degrading passions; their women exchanged the natural use into one against nature, likewise also the males left the natural use of the female, burned in their lust for each other, males in males, committing an unseemliness, receiving in themselves the appropriate reward for their error.”

About the words "degrading passions:" The Greek phrase translated as "vile affections" in the King James Version of the Bible has also been translated into English as:

"vile affections and degrading passions" (Amplified Bible)

"dishonorable passions" (English Standard Version)

"degrading passions" (New American Bible, New American Standard Bible, & New Revised Standard Version)

"shameful lusts" (New International Version)

"shameful desires" (New Living Translation)

"evil things" (Living Bible)

"shameful affections" (Rheims New Testament)

"immoral, unnatural drives" (The Great Book: The New Testament in Plain English)

However, in the original Greek, the phrase does not mean "passions" or "lust" as people experienced in normal, day-to-day living -- the type of emotion that one encounters in a marriage or sexually active relationship. It refers to the frenzied state of mind that many ancient mystery cults induced in worshipers by means of wine, drugs and music." It describes the results of ritual sexual orgies as performed in many Pagan settings at the time. Paul is referring here to Pagan fertility cult worship prevalent in Rome at the time.

About the words "exchanged," "leaving," "change," and "abandoned" : These words are important, because they precisely describe the people about whom Paul is talking. From the text, he is obviously writing about women with a heterosexual orientation, who had previously engaged in only heterosexual sex, who had subsequently "exchanged" their normal/inborn behaviors for same-sex activities. That is, they deviated from their heterosexual orientation and engaged in sexual behavior with other women. Similarly, he describes men with a heterosexual orientation who had "abandoned" their normal/inborn behaviors and engaged in same-sex activities. In both cases, he is describing individuals with a heterosexual orientation, who were engaging in same-sex behavior -- in violation of their natural desires. In normal life, these are very unusual activities, because heterosexuals typically have a strong aversion to engaging in same-sex behavior. However, with the peer pressure, expectations, drugs, alcohol and other stimulants present in Pagan sex rituals at the time, they appear to have abandoned their normal feelings of abhorrence and engaged in same-sex behavior.

About the word "natural" : The operative term in Paul’s original Greek is "phooskos", meaning "inborn", "produced by nature" , "agreeable to nature".

About the word "against nature," "unnatural," etc: The Greek phrase "para physin" is commonly translated into the English as:

"unnatural and abnormal" (Amplified Bible)

"contrary to nature" (English Standard Version)

"against nature" (King James Version, Rheims New Testament)

"sin with each other" (Living Bible)

"unnatural" (New American Bible, New American Standard Bible, New International Version, New Revised Standard Version)

"immoral, unnatural drives" (The Great Book: The New Testament in Plain English)

These are not accurate translations. They demonstrate prejudice on the part of the translators. "Unnatural" implies that the act is something that is to be morally condemned. The word "unconventional" would have been a more precise word for translators to use.

The biggest mistake Christians make with Paul’s epistle to the church at Rome is in their failure to comprehend Romans 1:7... Paul’s epistle was addressed to first century Rome, not twenty-first century Europe or North America, etc.. Am I saying that the epistle doesn't apply to us? Of course not: it certainly applies to every age and nation. But what verse 7 reminds us is that when we read the epistle, we need to keep in mind that it was written to first century Rome, and applies first and foremost to the situations that were extant then.

So what was going on in Rome? The ancient Greek and Roman concept of what was “normal” and what was moral was quite different from ours. Although such concepts as sexual orientation had not been studied or named, in behavior, both the Greek and Roman empires expected everyone to be bisexual. There were very specific cultural rules regarding how this worked. A woman, for example, had one husband, and was not permitted sexual contact with any other male. But sexual contact with other women was permitted and even expected. For men, the rules permitted him wives, and perhaps concubines, depending on his wealth. But an adult man would also be “attached” to an adolescent male, to whom he would be teacher, mentor and lover. An example of this type of relationship can be seen in Matthew chapter 8. The King James Version incorrectly refers to the centurion's "servant." The Greek does not say servant. It says "boy." Not his son, because a man wouldn't refer to his son with the word παις. Rather, this was the common word used by a Greek or Roman to refer to his adolescent partner. Jesus grew up under Roman occupation.There is no way He wouldn't have known the nature of this relationship. He said not a word about it, but admired the centurion's faith and healed the boy.

Any man or women who had relations with only one gender in Roman society would have been thought odd or even abnormal.

In the above verses, we can see that Paul spoke of the Roman women “exchanging” the natural use for one that was against nature. Now please understand what Paul meant by nature: He was not speaking of nature as creation. Indeed, homosexuality, as well as bisexuality, exists throughout nature, in virtually every species of animal. What Paul was addressing was the Roman’s own nature, what we today would call their sexual orientation. Their society was expecting them to trade their own orientation, whatever it might have been, for a bisexual orientation. The men were doing the same thing. And what they were doing was indecent and an error, not because of the concept of homosexuality, but because they were violating the way they were created.

Romans chapter one, as a whole, deals with pagan Rome’s attempts to turn the creation into a god, worshiping the things created rather than the One who created them. They were attempting to remake that creation in their own design, by ignoring the inborn sexual orientation of the people, and expecting them to live bisexually. This chapter is not about homosexuality vs. heterosexuality, but rather about the error of trying to change the way we were created. God has created each of us with a sexual orientation, and for us to attempt to change it into another orientation is, in effect, telling God that He created us wrong. But if it was wrong for heterosexuals and homosexuals in the first century to try to be bisexuals, then it is equally wrong, and for the same reasons, for homosexuals in the twenty-first century to try to be heterosexuals, or vice-versa.

There are some who would doubt that heterosexuals in the first century would live a bisexual lifestyle simply to satisfy the misguided expectations of society. To those people we say this: Look around you... all over the world there are homosexual people trying to live a heterosexual lifestyle for exactly the same reason. And the societies and the religions trying to force them to do so are just as misguided. The same God who created homosexuality, heterosexuality and bisexuality throughout the entire animal kingdom, did the same thing in us.

tommie said:
Dear Aaron, God love you as much as He loves any person, Christian or non christian.He died for every person. The God of the bible IS love. When Adam and Eve disobeyed God by listening to Satan and eating of the fruit of the tree He said not to, sin and death entered in. Now we have a sin nature. God had a plan and we broke it. If Adam and Eve hadn't sinned, you or I would have done it. We were destined for death. Jesus went to the cross to take our punishment because we are ALL sinners. He took our punishment because no one is good enough or ever will be good enough to go to heaven by their own works. Some of us sin outwardly and some sin hidden. We all sin. Billy Graham is even a sinner, a forgiven sinner. When we accept Jesus, hopefully we try not to sin because of what Jesus did for us. We try to be Christlike. The Holy Spirit, that has indwelt our heart when we accepted Jesus, will help. Some of us are better at following than others. God takes every person where they are at and grows them. Along the way, people can make bad choices and this is where hurt comes in. God wants the best for us so He wrote the bible to teach us.It says that an important purpose for us on earth is to glorify Him. We put God's wants and desires before our own. The way we give glory is to obey the teachings of the bible in ALL areas. God says we need to be good in the little things as well as the big things. I am not perfect in any way, shape or fashion but I do try to follow the teachings of the bible in All areas and repent when I mess up. If I can't see my sin, my christian brothers or sisters will call me on it in love. I then repent and keep going....That is what God wants everyone to do. Homosexual behavior is a sin just like any other sin, unfortunately, any sin is egregious to God. The only way we can be seen by God as sinless is by the covering of Jesus blood. Through that blood, we are seen as sinless. We need to accept Jesus as our savior and follow him. God the father is our judge and that is who we need to make sure we are right with. God is Love. God is Just. He doesn't want anyone go to hell, but many will choose to go there because they wont follow, obey or ask forgiveness from Him when they mess up. He gives everyone there own choice. God is our judge in the end. Keep your eyes on Him, not on the ugly things people do. God will deal with them......
Hi tommie,

When Paul talks about homosexual acts, he is only referring to 'abusive' homosexual acts, or having sex with pagan sacred male temple prostitutes, which no longer exist in the 21st Century, but which did exist all around him at the time. To condemn or treat the way a person was born as a 'sin' is the gravest sin of all. Homosexuals are born in every place around the planet; from the smallest mountain village to the smallest desert village. It is not something 'learned' or 'taught' to them. It is innately the way they were born, as God created them, and it is 'natural' for them to be attracted to, and fall in love with, their own gender, upon reaching puberty, just as it is 'natural' for a heterosexual to feel and do the same with the opposite gender upon reaching puberty.

Levitical purity laws, (which are mistranslated in almost all English Bibles concerning homosexuality) do not apply to Christians, and so the people who bring up Leviticus to attack gay people with are gravely mistaken, not to mention utterly hypocritical.

Jesus and homosexuality:

It is worthwhile to check the words attributed to Jesus by the author of the Gospel of Matthew. He created a comprehensive list of sins that would bring doom on a person: Matt 15:18-20: "...those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man. For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies. These are the things which defile a man..." It is even more worth noting that homosexual behavior is not one of the behaviors that is mentioned in this passage. The logical conclusion is that Jesus did not consider it a sin.

The options open to a Christian:

A Christian has two options with regard to the Christian Scriptures (New Testament):

1. To accept a favorite (and safely familiar) English translation as accurately containing the words of the original authors. This is a simple and straightforward approach because biblical passages related to lesbians, gays, bisexuals, transgender persons and transsexuals (LGBT) in English Bibles are universally condemning. No further effort is needed.

2. To base the interpretation of these passages on the most ancient available Greek manuscripts of 1 Corinthians and 1 Timothy. This is as close as we are able to get to the original autograph copies written by the author(s). This option is much more demanding, and made even more difficult because the precise meaning of some of the Greek words are unknown and can only be inferred. Even worse, a convincing case can be made that 1 Timothy was written by a second century forger, many decades after Paul was executed.

If Paul had wanted to condemn homosexual behavior in general, the word for it at the time was paiderasste. What he did, rather than simply use one of the many existing, quite precise Greek terms for aspects of homosexuality (or for homosexuality in general) – words that he would have been quite aware of – is create an entirely new word.

The word "arsenokoitai" in 1 Corinthians and 1 Timothy:

"Arsenokoitai" is a Greek word that appears to have been uniquely created by Paul when he was writing 1 Corinthians 6:9-10. No record remains of any writer having using the term before Paul. It has been translated as "abusers of themselves with mankind" in the King James Version (KJV):

"Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God."

The KJV was finished 1611 CE when there was no single word in the English language that referred to homosexuals or homosexuality. The translators were forced to use this awkward phrase. The term "homosexual" was only created in the late 19th century.

More recent versions of the Bible translate arsenokoitai here as:

• "homosexuals," (NASB);
• "homosexual perversion," (NEB);
• "homosexual offenders," (NIV).

In doing this, they appear to have little respect or attention to the actual meaning of the original Greek verse. By using the term "homosexual" the translators changed the scope of the verse. The original Greek refers to men only; the English translation refers to both males and females; i.e. to gays and lesbians. We suspect that the temptation to attack lesbians overcame the translators' desire to be accurate.

The author of 1 Timothy also used "arsenokoitai." The KJV translated it similarly:

"Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers, For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine."

Christian theologians generally agree that Paul wrote 1 Corinthians circa 55 CE. However, they differ on the authorship and date of the three Pastoral Epistles -- 1 Timothy, 2 Timothy and Titus.

• Some scholars believe that Paul wrote the Pastoral epistles during the interval 62 to 64 CE just before his death.

• Many other scholars believe that they were written up to 85 years after Paul's execution, circa 100 to 150 CE by an unknown person who pretended to be Paul.

What does "arsenokoitai" really mean?

"Arsenokoitai" is made up of two parts: "arsen" means "man"; "koitai" means "beds."

Although the word in English Bibles is interpreted as referring to homosexuals, we can be fairly certain that this is not the meaning that Paul wanted to convey. If he had, he would have used the word "paiderasste." That was the standard Greek term at the time for sexual activity between males. We can conclude that he probably meant something different than people who engaged in male-male adult sexual behavior.

Many sources have speculated about the meaning of "arsenokoitai:"

• "Homosexual offenders:" The NIV contains this phrase. Suppose for the moment that Paul had attacked "heterosexual offenders" or "heterosexual sexual offenders." We would not interpret this today as a general condemnation of heterosexuality. It would be seen as an attack only on those heterosexuals who commit sexual offences. Perhaps the appropriate interpretation of this verse is that it does not condemn all homosexuals. Rather it condemns only those homosexuals who engage in sexual offences (e.g. child sexual abuse, rape, unsafe sex, manipulative sex, coercive sex, etc).

• Male prostitutes in Pagan temples: One source states that the Septuagint (an ancient, pre-Christian translation of the Old Testament into Greek made between the 3rd and 1st centuryBCE) translated the Hebrew "quadesh" in I Kings 14:24, 15:12 and 22:46 into a Greek word somewhat similar to "arsenokoitai." This passage referred to "male temple prostitutes" -- people who engaged in ritual sex in Pagan temples. Some leaders in the early Christian church also thought 1 Corinthians was referring to temple prostitutes. Some authorities believe that it simply means male prostitutes with female customers - a practice which appears to have been a common practice in the Roman empire.

• Pimp: Another source refers to other writings, written later than 1 Corinthians, which contains the word "arsenokoitai:" This includes the Sibylline Oracles 2.70-77, Acts of John, and Theophilus of Antioch's Ad Autolycum. The source suggests that the term refers "to some kind of economic exploitation by means of sex (but not necessarily homosexual sex)." Probably "pimp" or "man living off of the avails of prostitution" would be the closest English translations. It is worth noting that "Much Greek homosexual erotic literature has survived, none of it contains the word arsenokoitai."

• Masturbators. At the time of Martin Luther, "arsenokoitai" was universally interpreted as masturbator. But by the 20th century, masturbation had become a more generally accepted behavior. So, new translations abandoned references to masturbators and switched the attack to homosexuals. The last religious writing in English that interpreted 1 Corinthians 6:9 as referring to masturbation is believed to be the [Roman] Catholic Encyclopedia of 1967.

• Abusive pedophiles: Many would consider "malakoi" -- the word preceding "arsenokoitai," in 1 Corinthians -- to refer to a catamite: a boy or young male who engaged in sexual activities with men. Such boys were often slaves, owned by rich men as sex partners. The second term might then refer to the men who engaged in sex with the catamites. That is, they were abusive pedophiles or hebephiles. The New American Bible contains a footnote which reads:

"The Greek word translated as 'boy prostitutes' [in 1 Cor. 6:9] designated catamites, i.e. boys or young men who were kept for purposes of prostitution, a practice not uncommon in the Greco-Roman world....The term translated 'practicing homosexuals' refers to adult males who indulged in homosexual practices with such boys."

In their footnote, the translators recognize that the term refers to abusive male pedophiles, but apparently cannot resist the temptation to attack all homosexuals -- both gays and lesbians, non-abusive and abusive.

Harper's Bible Commentary (1998) states that the passage refers to:

"... both the effeminate male prostitute and his partner who hires him to satisfy sexual needs. The two terms used here for homosexuality... specify a special form of pederasty that was generally disapproved of in Greco-Roman and Jewish Literature."

Many religious scholars agree that the center portion of 6:9 might be accurately translated as: "male child abusers and the boys that they sexually abuse." i.e. the two behaviors probably relate to male pedophiles who are also child rapists, and the male children that they victimize. The verse would then refer to the crime of child sexual abuse and has no relation to homosexuality in the normal sense of the term: i.e. to consensual sexual relations between adults of the same gender.

Male prostitutes: One scholar has provided an interesting analysis of 1 Corinthians. He noticed a pattern in verse 9 and 10. They are composed up of pairs or triads of related groups of people:

The lawless & disobedient: two near synonyms

The ungodly & sinners: also two near synonyms

The unholy & profane: two synonyms

The murderers of fathers & murderers of mothers & manslayers: three kinds of murderers

Whoremongers & "arsenokoitai" & menstealers

Liars & perjurers etc.: again, two near synonyms.

From the repeated pairs or triads made up of synonyms or near synonyms, one might expect that whoremongers, "malakoi arsenokoitai," and menstealers are interconnected with a common theme -- just like the other pairs and triads in the list.

In the original Greek, the first of the three words is "pornov." An online Greek lexicon notes that this is Strong's Number 4205, and was derived from the Greek word "pernemi" which means to sell. Its meanings are:

A man who prostitutes his body to another's lust for hire.

A male prostitute.

A man who indulges in unlawful sexual intercourse, a fornicator.

The second term is "arsenokoitai" which has not been given a Strong Number because it is a made-up word that is almost never found in the Greek language other than in 1 Timothy and 1 Corinthians.

The last of the three words is "andrapodistes," the stem of the word andrapodistai. It is Strong's Number 405 which means:

A slave-dealer, kidnapper, man-stealer -- one who unjustly reduces free men to slavery or who steals the slaves of others and sells them.

If we assume that the three words refer to a common theme, as the other five groups are, then we have to look for some sense which the words have in common. Cannon suggests:

"pornoi" refers to an enslaved male prostitute.

"arsenokoitai" refers to a man who forces sex on an enslaved male prostitute

"andrapodistes" refers to a person who kidnaps and enslaves people.

The common theme is slavery. Cannon suggests a translation: "It is as if Paul were saying, 'male prostitutes, men who sleep with them, and slave dealers who procure them'." That is, all three words deal with slavery. They are unrelated to homosexual behavior in the modern sense of the term i.e. consensual sex between persons of the same sex.

• A boy sex slave

Again, the common theme is slavery.

Translating "arsenokoitai" as a boy who is kept as a sex slave has some support in at least two Bible translations:

As noted above, a footnote in the New American Bible (NAB), interprets "arsenokoitai" as a " boy prostitute."

The Jerusalem Bible translates the triad in 1 Timothy as: "those who are immoral with women or with boys or with men." In 1 Corinthians 6:9 the same word "arsenokoitai" is translated as "catamite."

An acurate translation of 1 Timothy 1:10 would be: "...male prostitutes, boys who have sex with men, and slave dealers who enslave them both."

As you may have observed by now, attempts to distort the Bible into a message of hate are badly misguided. The passages in Leviticus and Paul's three letters specifically apply to people engaging in ritual activity with pagan priests or sacred prostitutes. The references to 'sodomites' in Deuteronomy, etc., are a clear error in translation that refer to the same thing. The Sodom and Gomorrah references clearly refer to inhospitality and not to homosexuality at all.

Here's the most fundamental weakness in such thinking: the Bible does not condemn lesbians.There is a proscription against women wearing men's clothing, and a letter from Paul 'mentions' "women [who] did change the natural use into that which is against nature" – whatever that means – but nothing else. Any translations that apply to 'homosexuals' (i.e., including females as well as males) are mis-translations, possibly intentional, certainly political.

So it is entirely within Christ's teachings to welcome and celebrate the unique way that God created homosexuals, and to encourage them to find another to marry and live a monogamous life with, rather than to condemn and/or cast them out, which almost inevitably leads to despair, and a promiscuous and dangerous lifestyle in an attempt to gain the physical affection and love they were denied.

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Within the last two weeks I heard it said by a teacher on "Christian radio" that in a recent poll, 80% of the citizens of the USA who were asked, identified themselves as Christian, yet according to the numbers a significant portion of these would also favor a woman's right of "choice" over an unborn infant's right to "life." Most would favor prison sentences for murderers rather than the shedding of blood for blood (as required by God's covenant with all the descendants of Noah and every living creature upon the earth after the flood). Most would favor "freedom of expression" over "freedom from corruption of innocence", etc. Not everything that calls itself Christian has a place in Christ. However, there is little of value in pointing out the faults of the professing church since most of them have been caused by a total ignorance of God's word or a lack of belief in eternal truth.
If you care about doing what is profitable in the context of the church, you can draw direction right out of the book of Isaiah:
6. "Is this not the fast that I have chosen: to loose the bonds of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, to let the oppressed go free, and that you break every yoke?
7. Is it not to share your bread with the hungry, and that you bring to your house the poor who are cast out; when you see the naked, that you cover him, and not hide yourself from your own flesh?
8. Then your light shall break forth like the morning, your healing shall spring forth speedily, and your righteousness shall go before you; the glory of the Lord shall be your rear guard.
9. Then you shall call, and the Lord will answer; you shall cry, and He will say, `Here I am.' "If you take away the yoke from your midst, the pointing of the finger, and speaking wickedness,
10. If you extend your soul to the hungry and satisfy the afflicted soul, then your light shall dawn in the darkness, and your darkness shall be as the noonday.
11. The Lord will guide you continually, and satisfy your soul in drought, and strengthen your bones; you shall be like a watered garden, and like a spring of water, whose waters do not fail.
12. Those from among you shall build the old waste places; you shall raise up the foundations of many generations; and you shall be called the Repairer of the Breach, the Restorer of Streets to Dwell In.

These are lovely verses which are all the more true for the Church than for Israel, but you may notice that I left out verses 13 and 14, not because they are irrelevant, but because they require a New testament interpretation of the Sabbath, who is a person to receive rather than a day to observe, even our Lord Jesus Christ, blessed forever. Amen.

tommie

May 5, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The bible is inspired by God and it is really clear on the issue of homosexuality. It talks about both men and about regarding this....Sin entered into the world after Adam and Eve disobeyed God and ate the fruit of the tree that they were told not to...after that sin and sickness and death entered the world. I don't like it but it is what it is.....My mom had Multiple Sclerosis and had an extremely tough life until she went to be with Jesus. It stunk but my mom still trusted God. She was a wonderful example of a christian woman through all of her long years of suffering.

Sin changed our existence on earth from perfect to imperfect. Jesus came to save us from our sins and took the punishment we all deserve. We can be in heaven for eternity now. This life on earth is so short. Matthew 5:30 says that something like, if your right hand causes you to stumble, cut it off, it is better to have one hand than your whole body be thrown to hell. Hell is real. You don't want to choose to go there. God wants you to choose Him and put Him first in all things. He loves you and wants the best for you. To get the best is by faith and then through obedience.

Aaron Lindahl

Veritatis Amans
Dec 8, 2014
Seattle, WA
tommie said:
The bible is inspired by God and it is really clear on the issue of homosexuality. It talks about both men and about regarding this....Sin entered into the world after Adam and Eve disobeyed God and ate the fruit of the tree that they were told not to...after that sin and sickness and death entered the world. I don't like it but it is what it is.....My mom had Multiple Sclerosis and had an extremely tough life until she went to be with Jesus. It stunk but my mom still trusted God. She was a wonderful example of a christian woman through all of her long years of suffering.

Sin changed our existence on earth from perfect to imperfect. Jesus came to save us from our sins and took the punishment we all deserve. We can be in heaven for eternity now. This life on earth is so short. Matthew 5:30 says that something like, if your right hand causes you to stumble, cut it off, it is better to have one hand than your whole body be thrown to hell. Hell is real. You don't want to choose to go there. God wants you to choose Him and put Him first in all things. He loves you and wants the best for you. To get the best is by faith and then through obedience.
When the original Hebrew and Greek word are studied without any bias, more and more Biblical scholars now agree that actually the Bible is very clear that homosexuality is only a sin, when practiced in an abusive, coercive, or pagan setting.... which is why entire denominations now agree on this. When it is within the setting of a monogamous joining of two adult souls, it is a holy thing of beauty. Sometimes the protection of 'innocence' is only the coddling and nurturing of 'ignorance' and/or 'prejudice'.

Homosexual love is just as capable of virtue and vice as heterosexual love. Excluding that love from institutional recognition is prejudicial and deceptive. It reinforces irrational, biological disgusts of some heterosexuals that reflect more their own sexuality and social conditioning than any moral truth, and reinforces a crude fear of otherness barely any different than the primal fears of foreigners, other races, or menstrual blood.

In telling someone they are homosexual, gay people are not revealing a quirky bedroom desire that's impolite to mention in casual conversation, and to treat them like that's what they are doing demeans their entire love orientation, and disrespects some of the most important relationships and desires for love and companionship in their lives. This is why the homophobic cop out that goes, "I don't care what people do in their bedrooms, I just do not want to know about it" is so insulting to gays. Gays are not telling people about their sex lives when they tell them about their sexual orientation. They are telling them about a much deeper and much more central part of their identity—again, something as important to them as being straight is to a straight person.

The net sum gains of gay marriage: More marriages, more commitment, fidelity, love, self-sacrifice, responsibility among homosexuals. More stable homes for children. Less gays in sexually doomed marriages to straights with the concomitant divorces. No exclusion of citizens based on morally irrelevant factors from participating in cultural institutions. No "separate but equal" standards that make for second class citizens. Love and commitment are more clearly defined as the core of marriage rather than degrading economics or social transaction concerns that disregard individual happiness.

All of this is increase in freedom for all to pursue their own happiness as guaranteed by our Constitution. It's a further strike against slavery to our overly-ingrained tendencies of our species to be traditionalistic and fearful of Otherness. It's a teaching instrument for us to overcome our irrational disgusts and learn to separate knee jerk aversions from moral repulsion, which is an increase in our abilities to assess issues fairly, rationally, and only according to relevant distinctions.

It means less promiscuity (if decreasing promiscuity is a good you want), decreasing the chances of sexual diseases and emotional and relational instability. Mainstreaming gays, makes them happier, cuts down on their suicides, gives young people who are gay more confidence that they can be accepted for who they are in the larger culture and that they can pursue their dreams and consummate their loves just as well as if they were straight.

Many a homophobic religious person has infamously claimed that when it comes to gays he "loves the sinner but hates the sin" and many a defender of the full dignity and ethical lives of gay people has judged such a compromised offer of love inadequate (if not insincere).

To gay people, who understand their homosexuality as a key part of their very psycho-sexual identity—which is as fundamental to their self-conception as heterosexuality is to straight people—their homosexuality is not just a "behavior" but a rather fundamental expression of themselves with far reaching consequences for their entire lives.

Of course, that is not to say that being gay is the only important, identity-forming thing in their lives—anymore than a heterosexual person's straightness is the only thing in his or her life which contributes in an essential way to his or her identity. Gay people want and deserve both to not be belittled by being reduced to being only their sexuality as though they were not also full people in the whole other range of ways that straight people are, and at the same time they want and deserve not to have their sexuality treated like just an unusual kinky fetish, a dirty secret, or an embarrassing "unnatural", "disordered" urge which they "struggle to control".

How can one hate a fundamental, non-malevolent, harmless, loving, and psychologically orienting, part of a person while claiming that they simultaneously love that person. Do they even grasp what the word love means? Do they really have a good grasp on what either accepting or, minimally, respecting someone even means? Loving, or, at least, accepting and honoring gays as equal, means not hating a central part of their identities..

Matthew 7:1-5

"Judge not, that you be not judged. For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you. Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when there is the log in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye."

Proverbs 10:12

"Hatred stirs up dissension, but love covers over all wrongs."

Ephesians 4:2

“Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.”

James 4:12

"There is only one lawgiver and judge, he who is able to save and to destroy. But who are you to judge your neighbor?"

Romans 14:1-13

"As for the one who is weak in faith, welcome him, but not to quarrel over opinions. One person believes he may eat anything, while the weak person eats only vegetables. Let not the one who eats despise the one who abstains, and let not the one who abstains pass judgment on the one who eats, for God has welcomed him. Who are you to pass judgment on the servant of another? It is before his own master that he stands or falls. And he will be upheld, for the Lord is able to make him stand. One person esteems one day as better than another, while another esteems all days alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind."

Titus 3:2-7

"To speak evil of no one, to avoid quarreling, to be gentle, and to show perfect courtesy toward all people. For we ourselves were once foolish, disobedient, led astray, slaves to various passions and pleasures, passing our days in malice and envy, hated by others and hating one another. But when the goodness and loving kindness of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior.."

James 4:11-12

"Do not speak evil against one another, brothers. The one who speaks against a brother or judges his brother, speaks evil against the law and judges the law. But if you judge the law, you are not a doer of the law but a judge. There is only one lawgiver and judge, he who is able to save and to destroy. But who are you to judge your neighbor?"

Romans 12:16-19

"Live in harmony with one another. Do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly. Never be wise in your own sight. Repay no one evil for evil, but give thought to do what is honorable in the sight of all. If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all. Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God.."

1 Corinthians 13:1-8

"If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing. Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful.."

Matthew 6:14-15

"For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you, but if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses."

Romans 12:10

“Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves.”

1st John 4:7-8

“Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.”

Matthew 22:36-39

“Teacher,” he asked, “which is the greatest commandment in the Law?” Jesus answered, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ This is the greatest and the most important commandment. The second most important commandment is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as you love yourself.’"

1 John 4:20

"If anyone says, “I love God,” and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen cannot love God whom he has not seen."

John 13:34-35

"A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another. By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Matthew 5:22

“But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother will be liable to the council; and whoever says, ‘You fool!’ will be liable to the hell of fire.”

1 Peter 4:8

"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins."

Romans 12:8

“Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for whoever loves others has fulfilled the law.”

Luke 6:37

“Judge not, and you will not be judged; condemn not, and you will not be condemned; forgive, and you will be forgiven.."

John 3:17

"For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through Him."

The Pharisees, a popular Jewish renewal movement in the time of Jesus, accepted into their fellowship only men who adopted priestly purity laws in daily life. The Pharisees looked down upon the majority of the Jews as "the people of the land," the un-spiritual masses, as many people do today upon gay people.The Essenes, who gathered in Qumran near the Dead Sea, took exclusion to a level far beyond the Pharisaic standard. Entrance into the Essene community required, not only that one be a male who practiced priestly purity, but virtual separation from all who were not part of their monastic community. Not only were outsiders unwelcome in the Essene fellowship, but also they had nothing to look forward to from the Lord other than fiery judgment.

When contrasted to the exclusionary practices of the Pharisees and the Essenes, Jesus' teachings of openness, acceptance, and love to common people – even those who were ritually unclean or regarded as sinners – stands out starkly.

As Jesus said in John 8:7 - "..Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her."

These teachings of love, non-judgement, and acceptance towards others over how they are naturally born, and who they naturally love and wish to join their souls with, is what marks Christians apart from our modern day equivalent of the Pharisees.

tommie

May 5, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Aaron, God loves you and so do I. You are God's creation. You are made in God's image. I will love you no matter what. God is your and my judge, and He is just.

Aaron Lindahl

Veritatis Amans
Dec 8, 2014
Seattle, WA
tommie said:
Aaron, God loves you and so do I. You are God's creation. You are made in God's image. I will love you no matter what. God is your and my judge, and He is just.
Thank you, I totally agree, and God bless you tommie!

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Aaron,

I must say that I disagree with your translation of the above Greek words. However, before I address that, let me mention the following:

It is a simple fact that all Jewish people throughout history understood homosexuality to be sinful behavior. There is NO instance of a Jewish rabbi of group in antiquity arguing that the prohibitions against homosexuality in Deut. were misunderstood or we based on faulty interpretations of Hebrew words. The same is true with Christianity. There is NO instance of Christian theologians throughout history arguing that the prohibitions against homosexuality in the NT were misunderstood or based on faulty translations of Greek words. I find it beyond curious that these sudden questions on the Greek and Hebrew words occurs in the same time and location in which such behavior has been deemed socially acceptable. I know of no prominent theologian in 2000 years of church history that ever made such claims. I think this is something that is clearly agenda driven, and not linguistically or theologically driven.

The fact that Jesus did not mention it is an invalid argument. To suggest that because Jesus didn't condemn something means he approved of it is completely off base. First, Jesus wouldn't NEED to mention this sin because it was universally understood by his culture and followers to be sinful behavior. Moreover, Jesus never mentions infanticide, genocide, and a host of other behaviors. That doesn't mean he approved of them.

I don't have time to deal with all the Greek words mentioned above. I will simply look at Romans 1 26-27. The phrase "dishonorable passions" is: πάθη ἀτιμίας

The first word is pathe. It means lust or desire. It is based on a word that means "to suffer" but pathe means passion.
The second word is atimias. Time' means "honor, respect." The a- at the beginning is a negation. For instance, theos means God, or god, wheras atheos means without God, or no God. Thus, atimias means without honor, or dishonorable. Thus, the phrase simply means "dishonorable passions." Just because a phrase can be used to describe something that took place in pagan temples, does not mean it is associated ONLY with that behavior. Yes, the orgies in the temples were the result of "dishonorable passions" but that does not mean that it only refers to idolatrous, pagan behavior.

παρὰ φύσιν means "against nature." Its really that simple. Para is a preposition means - "against, or contrary to" and phusin means "nature." Where are you getting "unconventional" from these two words?

Matthew chapter 8. The King James Version incorrectly refers to the centurion's "servant." The Greek does not say servant. It says "boy." Not his son, because a man wouldn't refer to his son with the word παις. Rather, this was the common word used by a Greek or Roman to refer to his adolescent partner.
This is just not true. Pais can mean son, boy (or girl) or young servant. It is estimated that about 50% of the Roman Empire was made of slaves/servants. This word is used all the time in reference to young servants and has absolutely NO sexual connotation.

In sum, the things you are posting here are not true. This is grasping at straws. The meaning of Romans 1:26-27 is very clear. It has nothing to do with someone's "natural passions" but someone's passions that are contrary to nature and therefore are dishonorable or ἀσχημοσύνην which means "shameless, disgraceful, or embarrassing." (which is often uses of sexual acts that are deemed to be disgraceful)

If you take any standard KoineGreek course you will find that this is how these words are simply translated. However, today we have people on an agenda to approve of a behavior so they search all kinds of Greek texts to see if one variant meaning can be found, no matter how remote, in an effort to create a loop-hole for the desired behavior or activity. The very plain meaning of these texts is easy to understand and should be accepted as God's instruction on the issue for those who believe the Bible to be of divine origin.

Reactions: KingJ

Aaron Lindahl

Veritatis Amans
Dec 8, 2014
Seattle, WA
Wormwood said:
Aaron,

I don't have time to deal with all the Greek words mentioned above. I will simply look at Romans 1 26-27. The phrase "dishonorable passions" is: πάθη ἀτιμίας

The first word is pathe. It means lust or desire. It is based on a word that means "to suffer" but pathe means passion.
The second word is atimias. Time' means "honor, respect." The a- at the beginning is a negation. For instance, theos means God, or god, wheras atheos means without God, or no God. Thus, atimias means without honor, or dishonorable. Thus, the phrase simply means "dishonorable passions." Just because a phrase can be used to describe something that took place in pagan temples, does not mean it is associated ONLY with that behavior. Yes, the orgies in the temples were the result of "dishonorable passions" but that does not mean that it only refers to idolatrous, pagan behavior.

παρὰ φύσιν means "against nature." Its really that simple. Para is a preposition means - "against, or contrary to" and phusin means "nature." Where are you getting "unconventional" from these two words?

This is just not true. Pais can mean son, boy (or girl) or young servant. It is estimated that about 50% of the Roman Empire was made of slaves/servants. This word is used all the time in reference to young servants and has absolutely NO sexual connotation.

In sum, the things you are posting here are not true. This is grasping at straws. The meaning of Romans 1:26-27 is very clear. It has nothing to do with someone's "natural passions" but someone's passions that are contrary to nature and therefore are dishonorable or ἀσχημοσύνην which means "shameless, disgraceful, or embarrassing." (which is often uses of sexual acts that are deemed to be disgraceful)

If you take any standard KoineGreek course you will find that this is how these words are simply translated. However, today we have people on an agenda to approve of a behavior so they search all kinds of Greek texts to see if one variant meaning can be found, no matter how remote, in an effort to create a loop-hole for the desired behavior or activity. The very plain meaning of these texts is easy to understand and should be accepted as God's instruction on the issue for those who believe the Bible to be of divine origin.
Hi Wormwood, I'm sorry but we'll have to respectfully agree to disagree then, and have to note that we are not Jewish people living in pre-Christian times under Levitical purity laws, or the Torah, but rather, under the grace of Jesus' teachings of love and acceptance. As well, this is not just 'me' who believes this, but many different entire Christian denominations, consisting of thousands of congregations, and millions of Christians, who agree with what I share with you.

For an excellent and thorough discussion of the terms pais and entimos doulos in these two gospel accounts, see Donald Mader’s article The Entimos Pais of Matthew 8:5-13 and Luke 7:1-10,(Source: Homosexuality and Religion and Philosophy, Harland Publishing, Inc., New York, 1998).
For Further Study, Books: The Children Are Free: Reexamining the Biblical Evidence on Same-sex Relationships by Rev. Jeff Miner and John Tyler Connoley, clear, and amazingly easy to read, this book does much more than offering loopholes or excuses with regards to the Bible. Instead, the authors combine careful research with a tremendous respect for God's Word, using humor, personal stories, and Biblical examples to make their case." Holy Homosexuals: The Truth about Being Gay or Lesbian and Christian by Rev. Michael S. Piazza. Rev. Piazza makes his case eloquently in a book suitable for lay people and clergy alike. Piazza shows a deep respect for scripture, while educating the reader on context in both Hebrew and Greek society.
Is It a Choice? Answers to the Most Frequently Asked Questions About Gay & Lesbian People, Third Edition by Eric MarcusIs the Homosexual My Neighbor? A Positive Christian Response by Letha Scanzoni and Virginia Mollenkott. This compassionate book examines the meanings and intents of Scripture, but also speaks of real people's lives, and challenges Christians (gay and not) to re-examine their attitudes toward gay and lesbian people.
Rogers Evangelical theologian and former Moderator of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) Jack Rogers observes that today's church is led by many of those who were once cast out: people of color, women, and divorced and remarried people, and he argues that we must interpret the Bible through the lens of Jesus' redemptive life and ministry.
The Bible provides three key pieces of textual and circumstantial evidence. First, in the Luke passage, several additional Greek words are used to describe the one who is sick. Luke says this pais was the centurion’s entimos doulos. The word doulos is a generic term for slave, and was never used in ancient Greek to describe a son/boy. Thus, Luke’s account rules out the possibility the sick person was the centurion’s son; his use of doulos makes clear this was a slave. However, Luke also takes care to indicate this was no ordinary slave. The word entimos means “honored.” This was an “honored slave” (entimos doulos) who was his master’s pais. Taken together, the three Greek words preclude the possibility the sick person was either the centurion’s son or an ordinary slave, leaving only one viable option: he was his master’s male lover.
A second piece of evidence is found in verse 9 of Matthew’s account. In the course of expressing his faith in Jesus’ power to heal by simply speaking, the centurion says, “When I tell my slave to do something, he does it.” By extension, the centurion concludes that Jesus is also able to issue a remote verbal command that must be carried out. When speaking here of his slaves, the centurion uses the word doulos. But when speaking of the one he is asking Jesus to heal, he uses only pais. In other words, when he is quoted in Matthew, the centurion uses pais only when referring to the sick person. He uses a different word, doulos, when speaking of his other slaves, as if to draw a distinction. (In Luke, it is others, not the centurion, who call the sick one an entimos doulos.) Again, the clear implication is that the sick man was no ordinary slave. And when pais was used to describe a servant who was not an ordinary slave, it meant only one thing: a slave who was the master’s male lover.
The third piece of evidence is circumstantial. In the Gospels, we have many examples of people seeking healing for themselves or for family members. But this story is the only example of someone seeking healing for a slave. The actions described are made even more remarkable by the fact that this was a proud Roman centurion (the conqueror/oppressor) who was humbling himself and pleading with a Jewish rabbi (the conquered/oppressed) to heal his slave.The extraordinary lengths to which this man went to seek healing for his slave is much more understandable, from a psychological perspective, if the slave was his beloved companion.
Thus, all the textual and circumstantial evidence in the Gospels points in one direction. For objective observers, the conclusion is inescapable: In this story Jesus healed a man’s male lover. When understood this way, the story takes on a whole new dimension.
Imagine how it may have happened. While stationed in Palestine, the centurion’s pais becomes ill, experiencing some type of life-threatening paralysis. The centurion will stop at nothing to save him. Perhaps a friend tells him of rumors of Jesus’ healing powers. Perhaps this friend also tells him Jesus is unusually open to foreigners, teaching his followers that they should love their enemies, even Roman soldiers. So the centurion decides to take a chance. Jesus was his only hope.
As he made his way to Jesus, he probably worried about the possibility that Jesus, like other Jewish rabbis, would take a dim view of his homosexual relationship. Perhaps he even considered lying. He could simply use the word duolos. That would have been accurate, as far as it went. But the centurion probably figured if Jesus was powerful enough to heal his lover, he was also powerful enough to see through any half-truths.
So the centurion approaches Jesus and bows before Him. “Rabbi, my . . . ,” the word gets caught in his throat. This is it, the moment of truth. Either Jesus will turn away in disgust, or something wonderful will happen. So, the centurion clears his throat and speaks again. “Rabbi, my pais — yes, my pais lies at home sick unto death.” Then he pauses and waits for a second that must have seemed like an eternity. The crowd of good, God-fearing people surrounding Jesus probably became tense. This was like a gay man asking a televangelist to heal his lover. What would Jesus do?
Without hesitation, Jesus says, “Then I will come and heal him.”
It’s that simple! Jesus didn’t say, “Are you kidding? I’m not going to heal your pais so you can go on living in sin!” Nor did he say, “Well, it shouldn’t surprise you that your pais is sick; this is God’s judgment on your relationship.” Instead, Jesus’ words are simple, clear, and liberating for all who have worried about what God thinks of gay relationships. “I will come and heal him.”
At this point, the centurion says there is no need for Jesus to travel to his home. He has faith that Jesus’ word is sufficient. Jesus then turns to the good people standing around Him, those who were already dumbfounded that He was willing to heal this man’s male lover. To them, Jesus says in verse 10 of Matthew’s account, “I have not found faith this great anywhere in Israel.” In other words, Jesus holds up this gay centurion as an example of the type of faith others should aspire to.
Jesus didn't just tolerate this gay centurion. He said he was an example of faith — someone we all should strive to be like.
Then, just so the good, God-fearing people wouldn't miss His point, Jesus speaks again in verse 11: “I tell you, many will come from the east and the west [i.e., beyond the borders of Israel] to find a seat in the kingdom of heaven, while the heirs [i.e., those considered likely to inherit heaven] will be thrown into outer darkness.” By this statement Jesus affirmed that many others like this gay centurion, those who come from beyond the assumed boundaries of God’s grace, are going to be admitted to the kingdom of heaven. And He also warned that many who think themselves the most likely to be admitted will be left out.
In this story, Jesus restores a gay relationship by a miracle of healing and then holds up a gay man as an example of faith for all to follow. So consider carefully: Who is Lord, Jesus or cultural prejudice?
The Christian [SIZE=10.5pt]Byzantine[/SIZE] [SIZE=10.5pt]emperor [/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]Justinian the Great[/SIZE] [SIZE=10.5pt]instituted two law novelizations in the 6th century.[/SIZE] Regarding the [SIZE=10.5pt]Corpus iuris civilis[/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt], Justinian's novel no. 77 (dating 538) and no. 141 (dating 559) was the first to declare that Sodom's sin had been specifically same-sex activities. His agenda was to create homosexual scapegoats to blame for recent earthquakes and other disasters of his time, but most of all, to enact anti-homosexual laws against political opponents or people for whom he needed to prove as guilty. [/SIZE]

For example, here is one verse that many Christians use to persecute gay people with, (even though Levitical purity laws do not apply to Christians) but don't realize that their Bible has it translated falsely.

Leviticus 18:22 - The translations of this verse found in most English Bibles are not supported by the Hebrew text:

Incorrect translation:

"Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination."(KJV)

The honest and correct translation:

"And with a male, thou shalt not lie down in a woman's bed; it is an abomination."

Below, is a word by word translation of this verse:

ואת זכר לא תשכב משכבי אשה תועבה הִוא

V'et-zachar lo tishkav mishk'vei ishah to'evah hu.

(Transliterated using modern Israeli Sephardic pronunciation.)

V'et - This is two words. First, V', which means and. This word cannot exist by itself, and therefore is attached to the word that comes after it, that is, et. This word means with. So the first two words of this verse are And with.

zachar - This word means male. Hebrew has no indefinite article (a, an), so when the definite article (the) is not used, as in this case, an indefinite article is understood. Therefore, this word translates as a male. The verse so far reads And with a male.

lo - This word is the Hebrew equivalent of our words noand not. It is used in this case to negate the verb that follows it. Because English has a more complicated verb structure than Hebrew, it will take more than one English word to translate the next Hebrew word, and the not will need to go in the middle of those words, so we won't add this word to our translation yet.

tishkav - This is a verb. Unlike English verbs, everything we need to know about tense and person is contained in this one word. No additional pronouns or tense markers are needed.

The root of the verb is the last three letters: sh-k-v, and it meanslie down. The first letter of the word, t, is not part of the root, but indicates person and tense and even gender. To translate tishkav into English will require four words, as well as a parenthetical note to indicate the gender of the pronoun.

The word translates as Thou (male) shalt lie down. The previous Hebrew word, lo, negated the verb, so we have And with a male thou (male) shalt not lie down. mishk'vei - This is a noun. The base form of the noun is mishkav, and it can be seen that the last three letters of the base, sh-k-v, are also the three letters of the verb root above, meaning lie down. This noun means bed. Hebrew nouns have more than one form. In addition to having singular and plural forms, many nouns also have absolute and construct forms. An absolute noun stands alone, with its own meaning. A construct noun is grammatically tied to the noun that follows it. In English it often translates by placing the English word "of" between the two nouns. A good example is the Hebrew Beit Lechem (Bethlehem), which in English translates as House of Bread. This is because the first word, Beit, is in the construct state.Mishk'vei is in the plural construct state, meaning beds of. It would be a good idea here to explain a bit about Hebrew prepositions:

Hebrew has prepositions that correspond to ours, but doesn't always use them the same way. For example, when people leave us, in English we say that we miss them. But in Hebrew, the verb to miss is used with a preposition, and we say that we miss to them. The same works in reverse, that is, sometimes English requires a preposition when Hebrew doesn't. If a preposition can be derived from context, Hebrew will sometimes leave it out. In English, we need it. Therefore, we need to insert the English word in before the words beds of, in order for the sentence to make sense in English.

The verse so far reads And with a male thou shalt not lie down in beds of.

ishah - This is the Hebrew word for woman. Since there is no definite article (the), it is understood to mean a woman.And with a male thou shalt not lie down in beds of a woman.Since this is awkward, we will rephrase it to "in a woman's bed."And with a male thou shalt not lie down in a woman's bed.

(Note: The word mishk'vei only appears three times in scripture: Gen. 49:7; Lev. 18:22; Lev. 20:13. In Genesis, it is paired with the word avicha, which means "thy father," and the phrase is correctly translated in most versions as "to thy father's bed." As in Lev. 18:22, the preposition is derived from context.)

Punctuation as we know it was not part of the original text. Even modern Hebrew Bibles contain only one punctuation mark, which looks like a colon ':', and serves only to point out the end of a verse (but not necessarily the end of a sentence). English is very difficult to read without punctuation marks, so we insert them as we translate. After the word woman, we may insert either a semicolon, or a period, to indicate that the following words are not part of the first phrase, but simply offer further information about it. And with a male thou shalt not lie down in a woman's bed;

to'evah - This is a noun. It translates as abomination. Without a definite article, it translates as an abomination. Hebrew word order often varies from ours, and this is one case where this is true. In English, this will be the last word in the sentence, so we will hold off on adding it to the translation until we have finished with the next word.

hu - This little word serves so many purposes, not only for readers of the Hebrew text, but also for those today who wonder about the accuracy of the Hebrew text. You see, this word is a grammatical error made by Moses. Moses was well schooled in the arts and sciences of ancient Egypt, but not in the tongue of his own people. Although he evidently spoke Hebrew well enough to be understood, like so many today, he did not always use proper grammar. His meaning remained the same, but the grammar was wrong.

I want to repeat that: His meaning remained the same, only the grammar was wrong.The word הוא hu means both he and it. It means it when applied to masculine nouns. But to'evah is a feminine noun, so Moses should have used the word היא hi, which means she and it. It means it when applied to feminine nouns. (All Hebrew nouns are either masculine or feminine; there is no neuter gender. This gender concept is grammatical in nature only, and has nothing to do with men or women, per se. For example, in Hebrew a table is masculine, whereas in the Romance languages, it is feminine. It has nothing to do with the nature of the table; it's simply grammatical.)

The next point of grammar involves the present tense forms of the verb to be. In English these forms are am, art, is and are. Hebrew has such forms, but almost never uses them, except in reference to God, or when absolutely necessary for context.

The reason for this may be that the forms are too close to God's name in Hebrew. While this may seem awkward to us, there are many other languages that don't use the present tense of the verb to be. For example, Russian has become so used to ignoring the forms, that some of them are completely obsolete. The Russian equivalent of am can't even be found in a dictionary or grammar book any more. They get along fine without it, and so does Hebrew. But English can't, so we have to insert the appropriate forms when translating: And with a male thou shalt not lie down in a woman's bed; it is

Finally, we put in the words an abomination: "And with a male thou shalt not lie down in a woman's bed; it is an abomination."

This is the correct translation of Leviticus 18:22. It can be seen that, rather than forbidding male homosexuality, it simply forbids two males to lie down in a woman's bed together, for any reason. If anyone finds that hard to believe, God also forbid anyone to wear clothing made of 2 different mixed fibers (such as wool and linen, or polyester and cotton today), and listed such as an 'abomination' as well.

The problem is that just because people see a nicely bound 'Bible' in the millions at many churches, it doesn't mean it's a good translation. A bible only sells, if people want to purchase it. There are 'many' different types of English Bibles that say many different things. They are far from infallible.

'Masturbators'. At the time of Martin Luther, "arsenokoitai" was universally interpreted as masturbator. But by the 20th century, masturbation had become a more generally accepted behavior. So, new translations abandoned references to masturbators and switched the attack to homosexuals. The last religious writing in English that interpreted 1 Corinthians 6:9 as referring to masturbation is believed to be the [Roman] Catholic Encyclopedia of 1967.

Leviticus 18:22

KJV: (King James Version, 1611): Thou shalt not lie with mankind as with womankind: it is abomination.

LB: (Living Bible, 1971): Homosexuality is absolutely forbidden, for it is an enormous sin. (Notice the clear, unjustified extension of the verse to include lesbians; lesbian behavior is entirely absent from the whole of Hebrew scriptures.)

NIV: (New International Version, 1973): Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman; that is detestable.

MSG (The Message, 1993): Don't have sex with a man as one does with a woman. That is abhorrent.

NLT: (New Living Translation, 1996): Do not practice homosexuality; it is a detestable sin. (Again, a clear, unjustified extension of the verse to include lesbians.)

NET (New English Translation, 2005): You must not have sexual intercourse with a male as one has sexual intercourse with a woman; it is a detestable act.

It is hard to avoid the conclusion that the term 'abomination' was an intentionally bad translation, given how far it differs from the meaning of the original Hebrew. It is used with a set of many different situations in the King James Bible.

The Living Bible and its revision, the New Living Translation, by using the word 'homosexuality' (for which there was no linguistic or cultural equivalent in Hebrew times) add two further errors. First, they add lesbians to the condemned group with utterly no justification for doing so. Second, since 'homosexuality' includes not just homosexual acts but also the mere fact of being oriented toward the same sex, the translations condemn both. These two translations say that it is a sin to be the way God created gays.

However, when translated exactly word for word into English, it says: 'And with a male you shall not lie [in the] beds of a woman,'which is to say that if two men are going to have sex, they cannot do it in a bed belonging to a woman, i.e., which is reserved only for heterosexual intercourse.

Both this verse and the other from Leviticus (see below) appear in a holiness code that applied to Israel rather than to gentile Christians in an age of grace. Both occur in the clear context of opposition to the practices of the local fertility god Moloch; verse 21 sets the stage for this one by forbidding people from allowing their children to be burned in sacrifice to Moloch, verse 23 prohibits intercourse with animals (the idol of Moloch was in the form of a bull with a man's head and shoulders, so this verse too may refer to idol worship). At the time, in order to get a conviction, Jewish law required four (male) witnesses, so whatever the action condemned in Leviticus was, it was likely a public event (there are no instances recorded in the Talmud of anyone being brought before the Sanhedrin and charged with homosexual activity). Worship of other gods provided a context where sex is very public, and there are 59 other places in the Bible where the worship of other gods is called an abomination (in the KJV). How could these two verses not apply to temple prostitution?

The probability that ritual prostitution is the context of these two verses is underlined by a later mistranslation of the Hebrew word qadesh, which appears in Deuteronomy (23:17), 1 Kings (14:24, 15:12 & 22:46), and 2 Kings (23:7). Literally the word means 'holy one'; it is clearly used in these verses to refer to a man that engages in ritual (pagan) temple prostitution in order to encourage the god(s) to make the earth and its creatures more fertile. By analogy many scholars interpret the verses in Leviticus as specifically referring only to sexual activities in a pagan temple ritual.

In the King James Version the word qadesh was translated for the first time as 'sodomite,' a word that at the time generically referred to any person who engaged in 'unnatural' sexual acts of any type. The New King James and 21st Century King James translations inaccurately retain the word 'sodomite' even though today it refers specifically only to males who engage in anal sex; most other Bibles more accurately translate it as cult, shrine, or temple prostitute.

Translators face a choice between alternative prohibitions of:

-homosexual behavior by either sex
-sexual behavior between two men
-sexual behavior between a man and a married man (or perhaps three people, including at least one man and one woman)
-just anal sex between two men
-just pagan temple ritual sex (between two men?)
sexual activity between two men in a woman's bed

Be aware that post-King James translations fixate on the first two. This has had a self-perpetuating effect; a Bible that strays significantly from this hate message won't sell, which means it won't get published. Deviating from traditional interpretations would certainly generate a lot of media hype, which would temporarily boost sales because of the publicity generated, but it would also block the use of the translation by many if not most purchasers of large numbers of Bibles.

The fact that for the first 300 years of Christianity, there is evidence of men marrying each other, and that there was no rejection or persecution of homosexuality shows something went very wrong when the bishops at the time finally gained the ear of an emperor, whose word was law. After all, it had been recognized as 'normal' human behavior for thousands of years at the time Christianity burst onto the scene, and they wouldn't have made many converts if they were going to attack or kill (homosexual) people who the majority at the time found perfectly natural.

I begin first with the birthplace of our Western civilization... which is Greek and Roman civilization, and after that, go into a detailed history of the Church on this subject:

The first speech in Classical history praising male-male relationships is that of Phaedrus. ThePhaedrus (/ˈfdrəs/; Greek: Φαῖδρος), written by Plato, is a dialogue between Plato's main protagonist, Socrates, and Phaedrus, an interlocutor in several dialogues. (The Phaedrus was presumably composed around 370 BC, around the same time as Plato's Republic and Symposium.) Phaedrus cites as the ultimate in love and commitment the maxim that "love will make men dare to die for their beloved; and women as well as men."' He goes on to provide as one example of this sacred commitment Alcestis' willingness to die for her husband Admetus, and as another Achilles' willingness to die for his lover Patroclus.

Pausanias next spoke, delivering an impassioned defense of companionate same-sex relationships:

“Those who are inspired by this love turn to the male, and delight in him who is the more valiant and intelligent nature; any one may recognize the pure enthusiasts in the very character of their attachments. For they love not boys, but intelligent beings whose reason is beginning to be developed, much about the time at which their beards begin to grow. And in choosing them as companions, they mean to be faithful to them, and to pass their whole life with them, and be with them ..”

The consensus among modem historians is that republican Rome, like classical Greece, was tolerant of same-sex relationships. Moreover, the Romans accorded some same-sex unions the legal or cultural status of marriages. To take one early example, Cicero, the great Roman lawyer and orator, persuaded Curio the Elder to honor the debts that Curio's son had incurred on behalf of Antonius, to whom the son was, in Cicero's words, "united in a stable and permanent marriage, just as if he had given him a matron's stola." (The stola was garb distinctively reserved for a married Roman woman. "Te a meretricio quaestu abduxit et, tamquam stolam dedisset, in matrimonio stabili et certo collocavit.")

Cicero's legalistic advice suggests that same-sex relationships were not only socially accepted among Roman society, but that they also potentially carried with them legal obligations and consequences, and hence were marriages as we understand the term. Records describing Roman social customs during the imperial period survive in far greater number, at least in part because many, if not most, of the emperors enjoyed well-documented relationships, some of them legally sanctioned marriages-with other men. The evidence suggests that during the same general time frame when companionate long-term marriages were being institutionalized for different-sex couples, they were likewise becoming more common for same-sex couples, who were entering into relationships akin to those discussed in Plato's Symposium.

By the time of the early Empire the stereotyped roles of [sexually active] "lover" and [sexually passive] "beloved" no longer seem to be the only model for homosexual lovers, and even emperors abandoned traditional sexual roles for more reciprocal erotic relations. Many homosexual relationships were permanent and exclusive. Among the lower classes informal unions like that of Giton and Encolpius may have predominated, but marriages between males or between females were legal and familiar among the upper classes.... By the time of the early Empire references to gay marriages are commonplace. The biographer of Elagabalus maintains that after the emperor's marriage to an athlete from Smyrna, any male who wished to advance at the imperial court either had to have a husband or pretend that he did.

Martial and Juvenal both mention same-sex public ceremonies involving the families, dowries, and legal niceties. It is not clear that only aristocrats were involved: a comet player is mentioned by Juvenal. Martial points out that both men involved in one ceremony were thoroughly masculine ("The bearded Callistratus married the rugged Afer") and that the marriage took place under the same law that regulated marriage between men and women. Nero married two men in succession, both in public ceremonies with the ritual appropriate to legal marriage. At least one of these unions was recognized by Greeks and Romans, and the spouse was accorded the honors of an empress .... One of the men, Sporus, accompanied Nero to public functions, where the emperor would embrace him affectionately. He remained with Nero throughout his reign and stood by him as he died.

Same-sex unions were noted in popular Roman culture and literature as well. The novel Babylonica, an early version of the pulp romance, had a subplot involving the passion of Egypt's Queen Berenice for the beautiful Mesopotamia, who was snatched from her. After one of the Queen's servants rescued Mesopotamia from her abductors, "'Berenice married Mesopotamia, and there was war between [the abductor] and Berenice on her account.' " Of even greater renown, the Emperor Hadrian's love for Antinous attained the status of legend, acclaimed for generations in sculpture, architecture, painting, coins, and literature.

The popularity of Hadrian and Antinous as a couple, may have been due in some part to the prevalence of same-sex couples in popular romantic literature of the time. Everywhere in the fiction of the Empire-from lyric poetry to popular novels-gay couples and their love appear on a completely equal footing with their heterosexual counterparts.

Homosexuality flourished for over 1,300 years within the Greek culture, and for almost 900 years of Roman culture without causing any 'downfall' of civilization as some people today claim will happen if gay couples are allowed to marry each other. Yet, within a little over 100 years after Christians gained political dominance in Rome, the entire civilization collapsed... not from the barbarians, but instead after they had forbade freedom of religion under pain of death, freedom of thought, shut down the Olympics, the theaters, the gymnasiums, and schools of learning. Knowledge of realistic artwork and sculpture was lost, scientific knowledge and civic engineering withered and died. They basically killed civic culture and classical civilization.The public libraries were either closed or abandoned since within only 2 generations the majority of the people had lost the ability to read.. after all, you were told the world was going to end at any moment, and that you only needed to know what your priest or pastor told you to believe, you were told that interest in secular subjects was no longer advisable.

'Let us Christians prefer the simplicity of our faith to the demonstrations of human reason ... For to spend much time on research about the essence of things would not serve the edification of the Church.' St Basil.

"What purpose does knowledge serve – for as to knowledge of natural causes, what blessing is there for me if I should know where the Nile rises, or whatever else under the heavens the 'scientists' rave about?" - Thus wrote Lucius Lactantius the first Latin 'theologian' and propagandist for the newly Christian emperor Constantine. Appointed tutor to the emperor's son Crispus – a job he lost when Constantine had his son executed for adultery with his stepmother.

The ancient world had been a relatively tolerant place in the world of religion. There were occasional bursts of persecution of this or that sect but as a rule many religions existed side by side. During the years 342 CE to 390 CE all this changed when Christianity established itself as the only religion in the Roman Empire and launched an all out campaign of religious terror against all other beliefs. Even though Christians had suffered from persecution from time to time, this does not justify what they did upon coming to political dominance, and had gained the ear of an emperor, whose word was law.

It was not until the Roman world was forcibly converted, and succumbed to an unforgiving and dictatorship-like form of Christianity (completely unlike the earlier peaceful and loving form of Christianity), that we began to embark upon the Dark Ages.

On December 16, 342 AD, the Christian emperors Constantius II and Constans, under advice from their bishops, had issued the following edict.. a law specifically outlawing marriages between men, which had previously been legal and allowed, which reads as follows:

"When a man marries in the manner of a woman, a woman about to renounce men, what does he wish, when sex has lost its significance; when the crime is one which it is not profitable to know; when Venus is changed into another form; when love is sought and not found? We order the statutes to arise, the laws to be armed with an avenging sword, that those infamous persons who are now, or who hereafter may be guilty, shall be subjected to exquisite punishment." (Theodosian Code 9.7.3)

Then, 48 years later, Christian emperors Theodosius and Arcadius on Aug 6, 390, under the advice of their bishops, issued the following edict.. an edict that would begin an evil persecution towards gay people that would last well over a thousand years: "All persons who have the shameful custom of condemning a man's body, acting the part of a woman's to the sufferance of alien sex (for they appear not to be different from women), shall expiate a crime of this kind by being burned to death in the public sight of the people." -Codex Theodosius IX. Vii. 6

I post this so that Christians who desire to persecute or condemn gay people over the way they are born can see the errors of their way on this, and to realize that we as Christians have a lot to atone for all the violence and murder done in Christ's name to homosexual people over the past 1600 years.

For the first 300 years of Christianity, gay people were not persecuted, but instead were welcomed as brothers and sisters in Christ... but as soon as the bishops in the early 300's gained political dominance, look how quickly and brutally things changed.. this is why our Founding Fathers wisely chose to separate Church and State:

305-306 – Council of Elvira (now Granada, Spain). This council was representative of the Western European Church and among other things, it barred homosexuals the right to Communion.

314 – Council of Ancyra (now Ankara, Turkey). This council was representative of the Eastern European Church and it excluded the Sacraments for 15 years to unmarried men under the age of 20 who were caught in homosexual acts, and excluded the man for life if he was married and over the age of 50.

342 – Under advice from their bishops, the first law against same-sex marriage was promulgated by the Christian emperors Constantius II and Constans.

390 – Under advice from their bishops, Christian emperors Valentinian II, Theodosius I and Arcadius declared homosexual sex to be illegal and those who were guilty of it were condemned to be burned alive in front of the public.

498 – In spite of the laws against homosexuality, the Christian emperors continued to collect taxes on male prostitutes until the reign of Anastasius I, who finally abolishes the tax.

529 – The Christian emperor Justinian I (527–565) made homosexuals a public scapegoat for problems such as "famines,earthquakes, and pestilences."

589 – The Visigothic kingdom in Spain, is converted from Arianism to Catholicism. This conversion leads to a revision of the law to conform to those of Catholic countries. These revisions include provisions for the persecution of gays and Jews.

693 – In Iberia, Visigothic ruler Egica of Hispania and Septimania, demanded that a Church council confront the occurrence of homosexuality in the Kingdom. The Sixteenth Council of Toledo issued a statement in response, which was adopted by Egica, stating that homosexual acts be punished by castration, exclusion from Communion, hair shearing, one hundred stripes of the lash, and banishment into exile.

1120 – Baldwin II of the Kingdom of Jerusalem, convenes the Council of Nablus to address the vices within the Kingdom. The Council calls for the burning of individuals who perpetually commit homosexual acts.

1179 – The Third Lateran Council of Rome issues a decree for the excommunication of homosexuals.

1232 – Pope Gregory IX starts the Inquisition in the Italian City-States. Some cities called for banishment and/or amputation as punishments for 1st- and 2nd-offending homosexuals and burning for the 3rd or habitual offenders.

1260 – In France, first-offending homosexuals lost their testicles, second offenders lost their member, and third offenders were burned. Women caught in same-sex acts could be mutilated and executed as well.

1265 – Thomas Aquinas argues that homosexuality is second only to murder in the ranking of sins.

1283 – The French Civil Code dictated that convicted homosexuals should not only be burned but also that their property would be forfeited.

1370s – Jan van Aersdone and Willem Case were two men executed in Antwerp in the 1370s. The charge against them was same gender intercourse. Aersdone and Case stand out because records of their names have survived.

1432 – In Florence the first organization specifically intended to prosecute homosexuality is established, the "Night Officials", which over the next 70 years arrest about 10,000 men and youths.

1451 – Pope Nicholas V enables the papal Inquisition to persecute men who practice homosexuality.

1475 – In Peru, a chronicle written under the Capac Yupanqui government describes the persecution of homosexuals with public burnings and destruction of homes (a practice usually reserved for conquered tribes).

1483 – The Spanish Inquisition begins. Homosexuals were stoned, castrated, and burned. Between 1540 and 1700, more than 1,600 people were prosecuted for homosexuality.

1532 – Holy Roman Empire makes homosexuality punishable by death.

1533 – King Henry VIII passes the Buggery Act 1533 making anal intercourse punishable by death throughout England.

1620 – Brandenburg-Prussia criminalizes homosexuality, making it punishable by death.

1721 – Catherina Margaretha Linck is executed for lesbianism in Germany.

1836 – The last known execution for homosexuality in Great Britain. James Pratt and John Smith are hanged at Newgate prison, London after being caught together in private lodgings.

1895 – The trial of Oscar Wilde results in his being prosecuted under the Criminal Law Amendment Act 1885 for "gross indecency" for having sex with other males, and is sentenced to two years hard labor in prison, ruining his health.

1903 – In New York on 21 February 1903, New York police conducted the first United States recorded raid on a gay bathhouse, the Ariston Hotel Baths. 26 men were arrested and 12 brought to trial on sodomy charges; 7 men received sentences ranging from 4 to 20 years in prison.

1945 – Upon the liberation of Nazi concentration camps by Allied forces, those who were interned for homosexuality, and who miraculously survived.. are not freed, but required to serve out the full term of their sentences under Paragraph 175.

1954 – June 7th –Mathematical computer genius and WW2 hero Alan Turing commits suicide by cyanide poisoning, 18 months after being given a choice between two years in prison or libido-reducing hormone treatment for a year as a punishment for homosexuality.

I list this shameful history, so that we as Christians, never again indulge in such evil and murderous persecution of gay people again, merely over how God created them, and who they love.

Just so that people do not think it is only 'me' who believes this to be the truth, it is not just myself. These are the many entire denominations consisting of thousands of churches, and millions of Christians, who agree with what I share with you concerning this subject.

North America

• Affirming Pentecostal Church International
• Anointed Affirming Independent Ministries
• Anthem Phoenix & Family of Churches
• Association of Welcoming and Affirming Baptists
• Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
• Community of Christ
• Ecclesia Gnostica
• Ecumenical Catholic Church
• Ecumenical Catholic Communion
• Episcopal Church (United States)
• Evangelical Anglican Church In America
• Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
• Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada
• The Evangelical Network
• Friends General Conference
• Friends of Jesus Fellowship
• Global Alliance of Affirming Apostolic Pentecostals
• Inclusive Orthodox Church
• Metropolitan Community Church
• Old Catholic Church
• Presbyterian Church (USA)
• Progressive Christian Alliance
• Reformed Anglican Catholic Church
• Restoration Church of Jesus Christ (Salt Lake City, Utah, USA) — a Latter Day Saint denomination
• United Church of Christ
• United Church of Canada
• Unity Church

Europe

• German Lutheran, reformed and united churches in Evangelical Church in Germany
• German, Swiss, Austrian and Dutch Old Catholic Church
• Austria, Belgium, Netherlands, Poland, Ecumenical Catholic Communion
• Swiss reformed churches in Swiss Reformed Church
• Protestant Church in the Netherlands
• Church of Denmark
• Church of Norway
• Church of Sweden
• Church of Iceland
• United Protestant Church in Belgium
• Portugal - Affirming Pentecostal Church International
• British Quakers
• Wales - Affirming Pentecostal Church International
• Albania - Affirming Pentecostal Church International
• Evangelical Lutheran Church in Italy (CELI)
• Poland - Christian United Church in Poland
• United Kingdom - United Ecumenical Catholic Church

Central and South America

• Brazil - Affirming Pentecostal Church International
• Colombia - Affirming Pentecostal Church International

Australia

• Baptist Affirming
• Uniting Church in Australia
• Anglican
• Metropolitan Community Churches
• Ecumenical Catholic Communion
• Pentecostal Reformed