WHY CHRISTIANS DON'T ATTEND CHURCH?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dan57

Sep 25, 2012
Illinois
Faith
Country
United States
People go where they're fed God's word, and many churches don't do that. I recently attended a service where the bible was not mentioned once, not a single verse. However, they did take up 2 collections, probably to pay for rock/gospel band? I'd rather deal with an aggressive used cars salesman than go back to that church. My excuse is that I learned absolutely nothing about God, the bible, or the hereafter. Quite frankly, it was a void & empty experience that bored me to death, the only thing I came away with was a lighter wallet.

This Vale Of Tears

Indian Papist
Jun 13, 2013
Idaho
Dan57 said:
People go where they're fed God's word, and many churches don't do that. I recently attended a service where the bible was not mentioned once, not a single verse. However, they did take up 2 collections, probably to pay for rock/gospel band? I'd rather deal with an aggressive used cars salesman than go back to that church. My excuse is that I learned absolutely nothing about God, the bible, or the hereafter. Quite frankly, it was a void & empty experience that bored me to death, the only thing I came away with was a lighter wallet.
I think that much of the experience we have of church depends on the attitude we bring to it. Like a flower we can be open or closed to what God has for us to hear. When people come into a church already judging the pastor, the worship team, the ushers and the fruit punch and cookies, they are going to miss something because haughtiness is blinding. And your excuse is that you learned absolutely nothing about God? I don't even believe that's possible. You show contempt for the offering plate (churches don't run on good wishes), the worship band, and you blame that church for your inability to get anything out of it? It sounds to me like you sabotaged your own experience there and are now using it as an excuse to not go to church at all. Quit running from God. God can only work in our lives when we humble ourselves and submit to authority.

Dan57

Sep 25, 2012
Illinois
Faith
Country
United States
This Vale Of Tears said:
When people come into a church already judging the pastor, the worship team, the ushers and the fruit punch and cookies, they are going to miss something because haughtiness is blinding. And your excuse is that you learned absolutely nothing about God? I don't even believe that's possible. You show contempt for the offering plate (churches don't run on good wishes), the worship band, and you blame that church for your inability to get anything out of it? It sounds to me like you sabotaged your own experience there and are now using it as an excuse to not go to church at all. Quit running from God. God can only work in our lives when we humble ourselves and submit to authority.
I did not prejudge this particular church, and my contempt isn't for the word of God, but for the complete absence of it. If I wanted a band, punch & cookies, I would have went to a party. Theses were charlatans prospering off Christ, all flash and no substance. I didn't get anything out of their service because there was nothing to get. And your presumption that I don't go to church at all is false. God can only work in our lives when we submit to His word, not to some clueless heretic who never mentions His word.

"For many walk, of whom I have told you often, and now tell you even weeping, that they are the enemies of the cross of Christ: Whose end is destruction, whose God is their belly, and whose glory is in their shame, who mind earthly things" (Philippians 3:18&19).

"For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ. And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light" (2 Corinthians 13&14). Also see1 Timothy 6:3-21, Luke 12:16-21.

"For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple" (Romans 16:18).

Trekson

Jul 24, 2012
Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Randor, I don't attend church but not for any of the reasons or excuses you listed. A church should be a place to go where you are fed but if you end up starving for the meat of the word, what good is it? In your post #5 you referenced, "not give up meeting together"...Here's the whole verse: Heb. 10:25 - :Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching". The italicized part is the second major reason for having a church in the first place, the main reason of course is the saving of souls which doesn't need a church per se, but the discipling afterwards should be a church's responsibility. A church should be preparing it's members to deal with the end times issues that will soon be upon us, a place of growth, encouragement and spiritual warfare, however, most churches take a "head in the sand" approach to end times, not wanting to "scare" the church members or risk being seen as "controversial".

I'll even admit to having a "rebellious" spirit, not against the words and will of God, but against the "christian lite" attitude of most churches, drowning their members in milk and not providing any meat, to paraphrase..."man can not live on milk alone". One of my complaints is about the empty, vapid tinkling of contemporary music that also prevails in the church which may contain some pretty words and phrases but are devoid of anything resembling real depth or meaning.

Let me share some verses... 1 John 4:1 - "Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world". I think this verse implies that if you're under a false teacher, you should leave. Yes, there are many "called" to their profession but there are just as many that are not called but take that mantle upon themselves for one reason or another which can lead to much problems.

Matt. 18:20 - "For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them." This is a church. You don't need a building, just fellowship with other believers no matter what the setting, whether it be a family get together or a small group or a home bible study. The church of today is about the polar opposite of what the first century church was.

Tex

Jun 29, 2014
@ Trekson

If you don't like any church in your area, become more involved. They'll find a way to accommodate you or you'll find a way to live with them. I promise. It always happens that way.

Mr.Bride

Jan 31, 2013
The Southern Carolinas
How can the sheep be led without a shepherd? Every excuse is just that. An excuse. Other than physically unable, you should assemble yourselves with like-minded believers and be fed by God through a God-fearing man.

Trekson

Jul 24, 2012
Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Our Shepherd is supposed to be Christ, not a pastor. As exampled by the apostles, pastors should be a guiding hand amongst the assembly while its members encourage and exhort one another. The church was never intended to be "led" by a pastor with 99% passivity and 1% activity.

RANDOR

Fishin Everyday
Apr 13, 2014
HEAVEN
Trekson said:
Hi Randor, I don't attend church but not for any of the reasons or excuses you listed. A church should be a place to go where you are fed but if you end up starving for the meat of the word, what good is it? In your post #5 you referenced, "not give up meeting together"...Here's the whole verse: Heb. 10:25 - :Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching". The italicized part is the second major reason for having a church in the first place, the main reason of course is the saving of souls which doesn't need a church per se, but the discipling afterwards should be a church's responsibility. A church should be preparing it's members to deal with the end times issues that will soon be upon us, a place of growth, encouragement and spiritual warfare, however, most churches take a "head in the sand" approach to end times, not wanting to "scare" the church members or risk being seen as "controversial".

I'll even admit to having a "rebellious" spirit, not against the words and will of God, but against the "christian lite" attitude of most churches, drowning their members in milk and not providing any meat, to paraphrase..."man can not live on milk alone". One of my complaints is about the empty, vapid tinkling of contemporary music that also prevails in the church which may contain some pretty words and phrases but are devoid of anything resembling real depth or meaning.

Let me share some verses... 1 John 4:1 - "Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world". I think this verse implies that if you're under a false teacher, you should leave. Yes, there are many "called" to their profession but there are just as many that are not called but take that mantle upon themselves for one reason or another which can lead to much problems.

Matt. 18:20 - "For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them." This is a church. You don't need a building, just fellowship with other believers no matter what the setting, whether it be a family get together or a small group or a home bible study. The church of today is about the polar opposite of what the first century church was.
Hey Trekson..............i know exactly what cha mean...there are a few churches in our area, been to all of them, at the same time, you know Monday...Tuesday..Wednesday...........>
Not jumping from church to church..after bein pretty much exhausted 24/7....I chose the church which fed the meat.
I tell the new believers however to go to the other churches until they are ready for the meat.

From all the miracles, healings, eyes growing, cancer healed...so on and so forth.....I've seen
I know for a fact......satan loves any excuse we choose not to attend church.

Hey..... if it's Sunday....I'll crawl to a church.......aint satifsyin lucifer one bit :)

But Hey...that's me.

shturt678s

Apr 16, 2014
RANDOR said:
Hey Trekson..............i know exactly what cha mean...there are a few churches in our area, been to all of them, at the same time, you know Monday...Tuesday..Wednesday...........>
Not jumping from church to church..after bein pretty much exhausted 24/7....I chose the church which fed the meat.
I tell the new believers however to go to the other churches until they are ready for the meat.

From all the miracles, healings, eyes growing, cancer healed...so on and so forth.....I've seen
I know for a fact......satan loves any excuse we choose not to attend church.

Hey..... if it's Sunday....I'll crawl to a church.......aint satifsyin lucifer one bit :)

But Hey...that's me.
All 299 pounds of you? We';re going to get you to push away from the table a little sooner moving fast forward to Heb.10:26, willingly we go on sinning after receiving the realization of the truth, no longer is there left a sacrifice for sins" Some where abandoning the Church alright in v.25.

There's danger of apostasy and of what has been called "the sin against the Holy Ghost" or "the unpardonable sin." This is absolutely fatal thus brother RANDOR going to have to expound the soteriological other side...fact that repentance and renewal are impossible, the first side is obvious.

My end point is Heb.10:25, 26 needs to be imbibed and inculcated asap.

Old Jack, not missing Church this Sunday for sure now.

RANDOR

Fishin Everyday
Apr 13, 2014
HEAVEN
I will crawl through cactus, nails, glass, land mines....ahhhhhhhh did I say land mines? :eek: maybe nicely mowed green grass.
Oh-heck...why not.
I'm comin Lord.............

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
RANDOR said:
I agree we are the church...the bride...that i agree with....but i hope that which you have just wrote is not your excuse for not attending a church.
I don't think that I mentioned that this is the reason that I did not attend church. In fact, I attend church the biblical way, in homes and to edify each other through the priesthood of all believers, not just a select few. That is more to God's liking than the church I described which you will not find anywhere in scripture.

The church I described is foreign to scripture because when Jesus rose from the dead the veil in the temple, that which separated the clergy from the laity was torn apart as an indication there was to be no more separation. We have chosen to ignore this.
This Vale Of Tears said:
Sounds like an excuse. Church has always been a building that people gathered to weekly for worship, all the way back to the apostolic age. People also gave offerings and listened to a preacher and the centerpiece of the gathering was communion, doing in remembrance what Jesus commanded them to. All of that is in the Bible. So with all due respect, which is very little, YOU have no idea what church is.

Repent of your rebellion and start going to church and when you leave money in the offering plate, do so unbegrudgingly, with a cheerful heart.
You said "All that is in the bible." I haven't found it in any of the dozen bibles I have so can you enlighten me where it is found. Chapter and verse would be very much appreciated.

shturt678s

Apr 16, 2014
RANDOR said:
I will crawl through cactus, nails, glass, land mines....ahhhhhhhh did I say land mines? :eek: maybe nicely mowed green grass.
Oh-heck...why not.
I'm comin Lord.............
I'm right behind you...just don't bump into one of those large hornet nests...will have to run from Church toward a lake, and jump in unless you can rebuke them in the name of Jesus?

Old running Jack
marksman said:
I don't think that I mentioned that this is the reason that I did not attend church. In fact, I attend church the biblical way, in homes and to edify each other through the priesthood of all believers, not just a select few. That is more to God's liking than the church I described which you will not find anywhere in scripture.

The church I described is foreign to scripture because when Jesus rose from the dead the veil in the temple, that which separated the clergy from the laity was torn apart as an indication there was to be no more separation. We have chosen to ignore this.

You said "All that is in the bible." I haven't found it in any of the dozen bibles I have so can you enlighten me where it is found. Chapter and verse would be very much appreciated.
Only a head's up: Via the Scriptures, the Church = "Kingdom of God" where Daniel forms the bases for the Kingdom, ie, the supreme concept in the N.T. my brother.

Old Jack

btw begin at Matt.13:3, etc.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
shturt678s said:
Only a head's up: Via the Scriptures, the Church = "Kingdom of God" where Daniel forms the bases for the Kingdom, ie, the supreme concept in the N.T. my brother.

Old Jack

btw begin at Matt.13:3, etc.
Could you write this in English, not in coded language? Thanks.

shturt678s

Apr 16, 2014
marksman said:
Could you write this in English, not in coded language? Thanks.
Thank you for your response!

Christ's Kingdom (his invisible Church combined with the visible) is here on earth where He rules with His grace and gospel of course. Christ's heavenly Kingdom is where He rules in heavenly glory sir.

Hope this helps?

Old Jack

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
This Vale Of Tears said:
Sounds like an excuse. Church has always been a building that people gathered to weekly for worship, all the way back to the apostolic age. People also gave offerings and listened to a preacher and the centerpiece of the gathering was communion, doing in remembrance what Jesus commanded them to. All of that is in the Bible. So with all due respect, which is very little, YOU have no idea what church is.

Repent of your rebellion and start going to church and when you leave money in the offering plate, do so unbegrudgingly, with a cheerful heart.
VOT, what you have not realised is that is your description of church which is not found in scripture. If it is there show me. In addition your description shows that you are just parroting what you have been told by your roman [SIZE=18.6666564941406px]catholic[/SIZE] masters who consider they are the fount of all wisdom, which they are not. They like you are serving a system that was created by man to further their power over people, just like [SIZE=18.6666564941406px]protestant[/SIZE] denominations which are not in scripture.

Just for your information, so as to allay your accusation of of my rebellion, I spent two years studying the New Testament Church which included a lot of study of the [SIZE=18.6666564941406px]original[/SIZE] Greek and read over 40 books on the subject so I am very pleased that I do know what church is...New Testament style.

Chuckt

Sep 8, 2014
marksman said:
VOT, what you have not realised is that is your description of church which is not found in scripture. If it is there show me. In addition your description shows that you are just parroting what you have been told by your roman [SIZE=18.6666564941406px]catholic[/SIZE] masters who consider they are the fount of all wisdom, which they are not. They like you are serving a system that was created by man to further their power over people, just like [SIZE=18.6666564941406px]protestant[/SIZE] denominations which are not in scripture.

Just for your information, so as to allay your accusation of of my rebellion, I spent two years studying the New Testament Church which included a lot of study of the [SIZE=18.6666564941406px]original[/SIZE] Greek and read over 40 books on the subject so I am very pleased that I do know what church is...New Testament style.
How do you know that protestant Churches are not in scripture? Have you even gone to over 1% of Churches in the world?
The Catholic Church no longer swears to the truth of the Bible.

Catholic Church no longer swears by truth of the Bible
By Ruth Gledhill, Religion Correspondent
THE hierarchy of the Roman Catholic Church has published a teaching document instructing the faithful that some parts of the Bible are not actually true.

The Catholic bishops of England, Wales and Scotland are warning their five million worshippers, as well as any others drawn to the study of scripture, that they should not expect “total accuracy” from the Bible.

“We should not expect to find in Scripture full scientific accuracy or complete historical precision,” they say in The Gift of Scripture.
https://login.thetimes.co.uk/?gotoUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thetimes.co.uk%2Ftto%2Fnews%2Fworld%2Feurope%2F

(I'm sorry but that article is now on a pay site but you can still google it and find people talking about it. I believe I saved the actual article but I can't post it since it is copyrighted.)

The Pope's mitre hat looks like the fish god dagon. I'll let you figure that one out but there are images on the internet of the fish god and the pope side by side.

The point is not to cause debate but to say that there is no evidence to me that I should believe what you are saying.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Chuckt said:
How do you know that protestant Churches are not in scripture? Have you even gone to over 1% of Churches in the world?
The Catholic Church no longer swears to the truth of the Bible.

https://login.thetimes.co.uk/?gotoUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thetimes.co.uk%2Ftto%2Fnews%2Fworld%2Feurope%2F

(I'm sorry but that article is now on a pay site but you can still google it and find people talking about it. I believe I saved the actual article but I can't post it since it is copyrighted.)

The Pope's mitre hat looks like the fish god dagon. I'll let you figure that one out but there are images on the internet of the fish god and the pope side by side.

The point is not to cause debate but to say that there is no evidence to me that I should believe what you are saying.
I didn't say that protestant churches are not in scripture.

Enquirer

Aug 5, 2014
South Africa
The reasons why Christians don't go to church are many ... I had a dry spell a few years ago my reasons was that the church I was
attending at the time had a mini sermon (20 to 30 min), of giving, giving, giving just before the Pastor delivered his message.
We were called to fund A VERITABLE HOST of "projects" that were on the table at the time ... EVERY Sunday it was the same story.

And this went on year after year ... we are believers in Christ NOT CASH COWS.

I have no problem with giving and I have given more money than I care to mention but eventually you begin to see a pattern ... and when I did
I was out of there.
Church attendance began slowly dropping off and the home-fellowship group leaders were called in and told to rectify the situation and get on
the phone and get out there and bring the people back ... I know because I was one.

We were called in and the senior Pastor himself met with us and told us, "The more people you bring in, the more money the church gets".
Well that was the final straw for me, we were more interested in money than souls.
On the platform satan was rebuked and behind the scenes Pastors were pulled over the hot coals for not doing their job.
New messages were cooked up and one was that "Adam tithed" ... huh, really ?
Please show me the Scripture ... must have been from the Book of Imaginations.

You were told that if you don't tithe and give offerings you were under a curse, your marriage was cursed, your children were cursed, your job
was cursed ... and on and on ... man that got me hopping mad.
My wife began to get worried so I her "Don't listen to that rubbish, you've been redeemed from the curse".

Then some nut job came up with a pyramid scheme ... WHAAAAT ?
Oh yes, and it was punted and pushed in the Cell groups and guess who sat on top of the thing reaping in the money ?
Eventually it collapsed like all pyramid schemes do and then it was buried ... calls went out to gather ALL the material that had been used to
promote it ... we got called in again and the Pastors demanded that we locate and hand in every video that was used to push the idea.
Every last one was accounted for and handed in ... well except for mine ... how I managed to keep it I don't know but I did.

The horror stories go on and on, but I'm not going to mention them.

Pastors if you are reading this, please note, that the members of your church don't mind giving and even going beyond measure, but if
you continue to push and push when it comes to money they are going to become frustrated with you.
Your messages might be powerful, your church on the cutting edge and the anointing might be flowing and the people cheering you on,
but if you see the numbers dropping ... do a check on your call for money ... yes I know it is very frustrating when the people don't give.
You have so many plans to grow your ministry and become a force in your community and exalt the name of Christ.
However, it's time to stand on the Word of God and believe by faith that God is who He says He is ... your Provider.
And He will provide, He is Faithful ... it's time to act on the word, call those things which be not as though they were.
Arrest the devil with the words of your mouth, frustrate his plans and don't get "skandalitizimised".
Don't take his bait ... God loves you, has called you and wants you to succeed ... do it his way ... God bless you.

Chuckt

Sep 8, 2014
I see churches growing and there is one church I have visited that has three Sunday morning services, a 2,000 seat auditorium and it takes 45 minutes or more to exit the parking lot in my car. The difference is that the word is preached, people believe, people do, there is worship, there are ministries, people get on board and involved and they care.

On the opposite side, there are churches were the pastor doesn't preach the gospel or believe. Those churches are in decline. When I was a young adult, I didn't want to go because; in my neighborhood, there were about 30 churches and I walked to a lot of them but only four gave the gospel. The reason I don't go to those churches today is because I don't hear the gospel so there is no reason for me to go. The second reason is they don't teach the Bible so there was no reason to go to a church that doesn't feed me. The third reason is they invited people in to church who are anti-Church. People actually hold their church back by not allowing the pastor to teach discipleship because the non-believers don't want accountability or have to share the gospel. The problem is that the average Christian shares the gospel in church but outside of the church, I don't hear the gospel because they're scared and they aren't prepared because the church is not doing anything to help the average church person grow up.

Imagine going to a Bible school run by your church, the pastor asks, "Why are you here?" You reply, "To learn" and then the pastor says, "I am not going to teach you anything because knowledge puffeth up". It is reasons like that that I don't want to go back to those places.

Reactions: Dan57

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Chuckt said:
I see churches growing and there is one church I have visited that has three Sunday morning services, a 2,000 seat auditorium and it takes 45 minutes or more to exit the parking lot in my car. The difference is that the word is preached, people believe, people do, there is worship, there are ministries, people get on board and involved and they care.

On the opposite side, there are churches were the pastor doesn't preach the gospel or believe. Those churches are in decline. When I was a young adult, I didn't want to go because; in my neighborhood, there were about 30 churches and I walked to a lot of them but only four gave the gospel. The reason I don't go to those churches today is because I don't hear the gospel so there is no reason for me to go. The second reason is they don't teach the Bible so there was no reason to go to a church that doesn't feed me. The third reason is they invited people in to church who are anti-Church. People actually hold their church back by not allowing the pastor to teach discipleship because the non-believers don't want accountability or have to share the gospel. The problem is that the average Christian shares the gospel in church but outside of the church, I don't hear the gospel because they're scared and they aren't prepared because the church is not doing anything to help the average church person grow up.

Imagine going to a Bible school run by your church, the pastor asks, "Why are you here?" You reply, "To learn" and then the pastor says, "I am not going to teach you anything because knowledge puffeth up". It is reasons like that that I don't want to go back to those places.
If you were a christian, why did you want to hear the gospel every week?