WHY CHRISTIANS DON'T ATTEND CHURCH?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

heretoeternity

Oct 11, 2014
Asia/Pacific
2nd Tim 3 those who have a form of godliness, but are not following God, "from them turn away"...so if the "christian" churches are not preaching the true word of God (which the vast majority do not)do not go there..

And remember salvation is through the Son of God, His grace and commandments and not the sungod/satan and his days of sunday, dec 25th and easter,all of which are non Biblical and of pagan origin.

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
​It [SIZE=18.6666564941406px]amazes[/SIZE] me how the church demands support and [SIZE=18.6666564941406px]fealty[/SIZE] and then ignores the essentials of scripture in life and practice. I was attending a Baptist church (not any more) and in preparation for membership (which is not supported by scripture) I was given a booklet that set out what Baptists [SIZE=18.6666564941406px]believe[/SIZE]. In all I counted 31 things that they believed that were contrary to scripture. i.e deacons have the oversight of the church. Nowhere does it say in scripture that [SIZE=18.6666564941406px]deacons[/SIZE] have the oversight of the church.

Despite this, they are very happy to give credence to pagan festivals. If you didn't laugh you would cry and ask God to save from this rebellious self serving [SIZE=18.6666564941406px]church[/SIZE].

Jem8990

Dec 31, 2014
I think people love hearing about messages and testimonies but not every1 has the time to go to church.

Axehead

May 9, 2012
The reason that men find it easier to follow other men is because they can follow men halfheartedly and pretend it's wholehearted, but you can't pretend to follow God halfheartedly. This is why we have earthly institutions which call themselves the "church" but they will never replace heavenly Jerusalem, Zion above.

Men love religion and men have created religious systems that cater to halfheartedness and out word form.

"Possessing a form of godliness but denying the power thereof".

Brandon Young

Jan 5, 2015
SC, Myrtle Beach
I agree with Born_Again in the Above comments that some churches do put people out of the church but some don't. I've had enough great experiences to keep going and one is finding my true friend that I would call family. If I didn't go to church I would of never met him and probably wouldnt be here today. Also I only go to churches that arent afaraid of saying things that may make people uncomfortable. Depends on what churches are around you and what churches you find.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I am not surprised at all that the internet, christian magazines and general news is full of articles about people leaving the "church" on the basis of been there done that. I say the "church" advisedly as the church seems to be looking less like the church these days. It seems to have morphed into a business or organisation run by a CEO and a team of employees. The average christian is in so many cases just a bystander who cheers on the employed or those recognised as having professional qualities.

Such a situation is not good because it makes the church just another organisation that is vying for people's support and money and as we know, if you want to support it, you can only do so on Sunday Morning if you want to attend its main show. It has not occurred to the church that there are other/better times for this to occur.

Just imagine if a new show came onto Broadway and the patrons found out that you can only see it on Saturday night at 10pm. How many do you think would go? Probably only 10% of those who wanted to go. In my locality every church meets Sunday morning except one. In my locality they have minimal new converts. Last year it was three. In my locality 90% of the population is untouched by the church. I wonder why?

People have to have a reason to do anything these days. They don't get up Sunday morning and say "I don't have anything on today so I think I will go to church." They are more likely to say they will go down the pub for a beer or have a round of golf. If they are sitting doing nothing they are unlikely to do something where they just sit and do nothing. At least in the pub they are drinking beer or whatever their favourite tipple is.

It seems that the church has a mindset if you want to share what we have got you have to come and get it and don't forget we do the same every week without fail so if you want variety and interesting forget it and if you want to do anything meaningful, that is off limits too.

If I ask someone if they would like to come and have a meal with me at home, most of the time the answer is yes. If I ask them to come to church most of the time the answer is no so something tells me that if I do church in the home round a meal, I will attract more unbelievers. That is what the New Testament Church did and as a result thousands were being added.

So I have to ask the question "what is it about that the church today does not understand?"

7angels

Aug 13, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the church according to scripture is to help the believers grow. even though the church may bring in unbelievers it is God who gets a person changed. according to prophesy the next great revival will take place around tables and in homes. people think the church needs to get people saved but that is wrong. what the church needs to do is spread the good news and let God prove that his Word is true. it is not our responsibility to prove God existence. that is God's responsibility but the church tries to prove that God exists and fails miserably at it. most events the churches hold nowadays are just that events and God moves very little. only the churches that allow God to move freely are few and in between. most churches have watered down the Word and cut out things that people in their congregation don't like so they don't lose people. i was taught that a church should make you mad, sad or glad. if you are not getting one of these then you are in the wrong place. people who are content are not hot for God. in most churches nowadays too many people are content and we wonder why people are not being saved. God will not put babies in the hands of children. it takes an adult/mature person to raise a baby. are you prepared to raise a baby? babies need constant supervision and need to be fed many times a day. are you ready to accept that responsibility? most people are not because they are too selfish. are you too selfish?

God bless

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
These be the reasons why many are "called out" from the churches which was supposed to be called out from the world.

1 John 1:3 That which we have seen and heard declare we unto you, that ye also may have fellowship with us: and truly our fellowship is with the Father, and with his Son Jesus Christ. 4 And these things write we unto you, that your joy may be full. 5 This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. 6 If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth: 7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin. 8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Ephesians 5:1Be ye therefore followers of God, as dear children; 2 And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweetsmelling savour. 3 But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints; 4 Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks. 5 For this ye know, that no whoremonger, nor unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, hath any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God. 6 Let no man deceive you with vain words: for because of these things cometh the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience. 7 Be not ye therefore partakers with them. 8 For ye were sometimes darkness, but now are ye light in the Lord: walk as children of light: 9 (For the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness and righteousness and truth;) 10 Proving what is acceptable unto the Lord. 11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them. 12 For it is a shame even to speak of those things which are done of them in secret. 13 But all things that are reproved are made manifest by the light: for whatsoever doth make manifest is light. 14 Wherefore he saith, Awake thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light. 15 See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise, 16 Redeeming the time, because the days are evil. 17 Wherefore be ye not unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord is.

2 Corinthians 6:14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? 15 And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel? 16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. 17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you. 18 And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.

Scripture did prophesy that in the latter days before the Bridegroom returns, even Jesus had asked the question, will He find faith in all the earth?

Luke 18:7 And shall not God avenge his own elect, which cry day and night unto him, though he bear long with them? 8 I tell you that he will avenge them speedily. Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth?

JohnP

Mar 4, 2015
Michigan, USA
FHII said:
If you are going to have Church, you need a leader and by that I mean a Pastor (preacher). You cannot be saved without a preacher or preaching and if you forsake the assembling of yourselves, Jesus' blood will not cover you.
I haven't been involved in the Christian message forums for several years now, and now I'm recalling why I stopped. Too many comments like the above - too many people espousing false, misleading doctrine.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh, really? Please explain why you think it is false and what you think of the scriptures that clearly state this.

JohnP

Mar 4, 2015
Michigan, USA
FHII said:
Oh, really? Please explain why you think it is false and what you think of the scriptures that clearly state this.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

(Not "that whosoever believeth in him and goes to church..." Jesus' blood covers all sinners. You just need to accept it.)

I have no desire to debate with you brother (or sister - your profile doesn't list your gender), It's not why I'm here and not edifying to me. Have a blessed day!

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
JohnP said:
I haven't been involved in the Christian message forums for several years now, and now I'm recalling why I stopped. Too many comments like the above - too many people espousing false, misleading doctrine.
It's a war zone. I'll give you that. ha

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
JohnP said:
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."[/size]

(Not "that whosoever believeth in him and goes to church..." Jesus' blood covers all sinners. You just need to accept it.)[/size]

I have no desire to debate with you brother (or sister - your profile doesn't list your gender), It's not why I'm here and not edifying to me. Have a blessed day!
"How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed?
And how shall they believe in him whom they have not heard?
And how shall they hear without a preacher?

That's what the Bible says and you just need
to accept it.

Brother

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
aspen said:
actually i am not shocked at all. protestants are taught not to trust church or their ministers. take away the authority of church, why would anyone attend? i also think that many ministers get caught up in the boring details of minor characters and obscure events in the Bible and go on and on and ON for and hour prattling off dry sermons - as if ancient history and genealogies matter. There is a double message regarding church - dont trust it AND it is important
I was involved in catholicism for about three years and I cannot remember one sermon/homily that spoke the name of Jesus.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
7angels said:
the church according to scripture is to help the believers grow. even though the church may bring in unbelievers it is God who gets a person changed. according to prophesy the next great revival will take place around tables and in homes. people think the church needs to get people saved but that is wrong. what the church needs to do is spread the good news and let God prove that his Word is true. it is not our responsibility to prove God existence. that is God's responsibility but the church tries to prove that God exists and fails miserably at it. most events the churches hold nowadays are just that events and God moves very little. only the churches that allow God to move freely are few and in between. most churches have watered down the Word and cut out things that people in their congregation don't like so they don't lose people. i was taught that a church should make you mad, sad or glad. if you are not getting one of these then you are in the wrong place. people who are content are not hot for God. in most churches nowadays too many people are content and we wonder why people are not being saved. God will not put babies in the hands of children. it takes an adult/mature person to raise a baby. are you prepared to raise a baby? babies need constant supervision and need to be fed many times a day. are you ready to accept that responsibility? most people are not because they are too selfish. are you too selfish?

God bless
I like the mad, sad or glad bit. My sentiments entirely. Too many churches just want you as cheerleaders for the chosen few. Your feelings or input are not usually welcome. I approached the leader of a church I used to go to and said "I probably should not say this but...." and that was as far as I got because he butted in and said "then don't say it." Grace, tis a charming sound, harmonious to the ear!!" as the old hymn said.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Rocky Wiley said:
That fits Peter's principle,

20% do the work, 80% do nothing. It's just as true about Christians as it is about anyone else.
To add to that figure, I attended a church growth forum and the speaker said that the average church can only provide involvement for 40% of the congregation with its own needs. To engage the other 60% a church has to be involved in ministries outside the church. Whilst I have no problem at all with churches supporting international ministries who are doing vital work with persecuted christians, that will not enlarge the church's influence in the local community. Sad to say, the local church won't help their own members let alone others outside the church.

A lady in her 70s had to get up a ladder to clear out her gutters. We asked for help with a gardening project which would take one morning which I could not do because of health problems. Four times the leader said they would help. It never happened.

​I guess preparing irrelevant sermons is more important than giving help when it is needed.

heretoeternity

Oct 11, 2014
Asia/Pacific
Jesus said "for what you have done for the least among you, you have done unto me" Matthew 25....test the religious organization you are attending...if they will provide shelter and food to the homeless in their church buildings, and do not use the worldly excuse such as money, insurance, etc to deny these people shelter, then they would seem to be on the right path!

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Perhaps it is because the churches do not preach the gospel of grace but instead preach the gospel of good works. Christians got the name of "Holier than thou" for a reason.

Someone in a Sunday Bible study, when the conversation got about going to heaven, said "I hope I am good enough."

The Gospel of grace is not about our works at being good enough. It is about belief, faith, trust, having confidence in what Jesus' did for us on the cross.

I can't say what the exact percentage is but I feel that about 95% of sermons are all about social moral values taken out of the O.T. and the 4 Gospels. and 5% about the work of Jesus on the cross that paid for all the sins of mankind. The Sunday schools teach from books written by men today who take a scripture and make a lesson somewhat based on it (out of context of course).

Since Jesus gave Paul the Gospel of grace to give to the world his Gospel should be the foundation of the Church.

Gal 1:6-9
6 I marvel that you are turning away so soon from Him who called you in the grace of Christ, to a different gospel,
7 which is not another; but there are some who trouble you and want to pervert the gospel of Christ.
8 But even if we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel to you than what we have preached to you, let him be accursed.
9 As we have said before, so now I say again, if anyone preaches any other gospel to you than what you have received, let him be accursed.
NKJV

I don't say very much in the Sunday school my wife and I attend because I feel they would stone me just as they did Stephen and Paul. But my wife goes there to see her friends and I, like the other husbands go to be with the wife.

Just my opinion.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
heretoeternity said:
Jesus said "for what you have done for the least among you, you have done unto me" Matthew 25....test the religious organization you are attending...if they will provide shelter and food to the homeless in their church buildings, and do not use the worldly excuse such as money, insurance, etc to deny these people shelter, then they would seem to be on the right path!
​Consider the real estate of churches is empty most of the time, it seems silly not to use for the benefit of the less well off or down and out. A bit of food, a shower, a warm bed, and a comfortable chair. It is a pity that when designing their buildings they do not take into a consideration how it could be used in this way.

heretoeternity

Oct 11, 2014
Asia/Pacific
"How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed?
And how shall they believe in him whom they have not heard?
And how shall they hear without a preacher?

If you can read, read your Bible, and pray to God to open your eyes and mind to the contents of His Holy book....why do you rely on a preacher who fills your head with false teachings in direct contradiction of the Bible?