Why did God create the world?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

elysian

Oct 9, 2011
Shalom,

If God created us so that we could enjoy him, then why did he create the world?

Elysian

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is this a 'Why did the chicken cross the road?' kind of question?

If it is, then, He created the world so we would have something to stand on!

THE Gypsy

Jul 27, 2011
Earth
Is this a 'Why did the chicken cross the road?' kind of question?

If it is, then, He created the world so we would have something to stand on!

smilie_girl_252.gif

elysian

Oct 9, 2011
What I mean is, We are supposed to 'enjoy' God. So why create the world and make us feel distracted?

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What I mean is, We are supposed to 'enjoy' God. So why create the world and make us feel distracted?
it seems to me that we were created for him. We are supposed to enjoy God, but he also enjoys us.

I don't really know the answer to your question (why create a world to distract us). We do know he didn't initially make the world to distract us -- he made it a paradise, and it will return to that. The best answer I can give is because he wants his Sons to overcome it, and he enjoys watching that happen.

Another possible answer is that it is a learning process for us. The Bible says we are to be kings and priests (Rev 5:10) on earth. Perhaps by getting through this life, we are learning how to reign on earth.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The 'world' is a projection of our false selves - we are called to throw off our false selves and reject the fantasy of the false self, which is the world.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gobbledygook.

Just tell me you don't understand, you don't have to bluff.

The Earth is just a planet like trillions of other planets. Humans are the ones who create meaning and associated it with inanimate parts of creation - we create culture - education and organization and Anthropomorphisize everything around us. We have created the superficial, glitzy, greedy projection, scripture refers to as the 'world' AND we are called to reject this shadow of our false selves for the reality of God. You might want to go read "The Great Divorce" by CS Lewis if you have not read it yet - he talks about this idea, but in terms of Heaven and Hell.

elysian

Oct 9, 2011
Just tell me you don't understand, you don't have to bluff.

The Earth is just a planet like trillions of other planets. Humans are the ones who create meaning and associated it with inanimate parts of creation - we create culture - education and organization and Anthropomorphisize everything around us. We have created the superficial, glitzy, greedy projection, scripture refers to as the 'world' AND we are called to reject this shadow of our false selves for the reality of God. You might want to go read "The Great Divorce" by CS Lewis if you have not read it yet - he talks about this idea, but in terms of Heaven and Hell.

I kind of get what you mean, but why create anything other than humans if God's sole desire is for us to love him and him only? Humans create meaning out of the world but only because the world exists. Without it, humans wouldnt have that problem.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I kind of get what you mean, but why create anything other than humans if God's sole desire is for us to love him and him only? Humans create meaning out of the world but only because the world exists. Without it, humans wouldnt have that problem.

I think God delights in all of His creation. Humans just happen to be about the relate with God and each other on the deepest level.

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
No, I mean that is new age nonsense. Not worth the electrons it took to display on my monitor. Utterly worthless and without intellectual merit, simply playing to the lowest common demoninator; crass emotionalism.

(null)

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, I mean that is new age nonsense. Not worth the electrons it took to display on my monitor. Utterly worthless and without intellectual merit, simply playing to the lowest common demoninator; crass emotionalism.

(null)

How so? And remember, you felt the need to comment in the first place - I am just asking you to be specific. Is it because I called the 'Old Man' that Paul talked about throwing off as the false self?

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

(null)
And I agree with you, Biggandyy, even if CS Lewis doesn't.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And I agree with you, Biggandyy, even if CS Lewis doesn't.

I am totally interested in how you see what I am writing as New Age?

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am totally interested in how you see what I am writing as New Age?
You quoted me, so I'll answer. What you are writing certainly isn't "Old Age". It isn't what the Bible says! I have, "Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Acts, Romans, Corinthians, etc...." You have "Augustine, Polycarp, Lewis".... What's worse is your whining about it!

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You quoted me, so I'll answer. What you are writing certainly isn't "Old Age". It isn't what the Bible says! I have, "Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Acts, Romans, Corinthians, etc...." You have "Augustine, Polycarp, Lewis".... What's worse is your whining about it!

No whining here.

I view the Bible as an authority.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If a person takes the time to read the book "Knowledge of the Holy" by A.W. Tozer (it isn't long or thick) this question becomes a huge one.

God's self sufficiency becomes really apparent when we fully understand his attributes in light of scripture and Tozer does a marvelous job in explaining it all.

The grace we receive is immense. Even for those of us "favored ones".

us2are1

Son Of Man
Sep 14, 2011
Shalom,

If God created us so that we could enjoy him, then why did he create the world?

Elysian

Almighty God Created the vessels of honor so that Christ could save them for His Glory.

Almighty God Created the vessels of dishonor to show His Power and Judgements to the vessels of Honor.

Romans 9
21 Does not the potter have power over the clay, from the same lump to make one vessel for honor and another for dishonor?
22 What if God, wanting to show His wrath and to make His power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath prepared for destruction,
23 and that He might make known the riches of His glory on the vessels of mercy, which He had prepared beforehand for glory,