Why did Jesus say you must become like a little child?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Little children are trusting and accepting. They accept rather than question because they trust that what is being said to them is the truth. They don't require evidence. They have faith and believe without question.

My take on the matter.

I agree with ya here.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Again, this is just my opinion but I believe the Lord is speaking of blind faith. A blind trust that only exists between a parent and a child. A small child trusts that their father is going to keep them safe. Knows without question that their father is going to see to their needs. Food, shelter, clothing. Trusts beyond a shadow of a doubt that any problems they may run into, they can go to their father and he will make things right.

Small children possess an innocence that can be found no where else in the human race. They have the ability to accept without question. Their hearts are pure and untouched by the corruption that plagues man. It never occurs to them that someone could be dishonest with them. Their faith is blind and innocent. Their trust is genuine.

As I said, this is simply an opinion. Some will agree, others will not. That's fine because nothing's set in stone. This is the first time I've ever pondered this passage. I've read it a dozen times or more and always believed the little child comment referred to faith. I believe a tremendous amount of faith is gonna be required to enter the kingdom. A faith that can only be found in the heart of a child.

What led me to ponder the topic? It was the video of Heidi Baker where she teaches on “how you must be as a child” and she listed all the qualities of a child that we must possess. I don’t know, Job. It got me to thinking: is blind faith really what the Lord is referring to? What is missing? What is missing so that blind faith does lead us over a cliff? It seems there is a lot of blind faith out there to believe just about anything and to believe it profoundly. So, I wondered, was the Lord really referring to blind faith? IS blind faith an admirable quality? Children will believe what they are told and not question it. True. Children will trust they have the truth and do not question that truth. True. They trust to be fed and clothed and nurtured and never question the one providing for their needs, even if that person abuses them. Is that really what it takes, blind faith to go in whatever direction is handed to you in childhood?

I don’t want to twist scripture. I do see that blind faith is a good solid interpretation. I am sure you are correct. So, I am not arguing the interpretation. Just thinking it over because "childlike" seems to be the first attribute attached to the (supposed) physical manifestation of the spirit. Fits of laughter. Endless giggling. Rolling around on the ground. Skipping in love. Soft baby talk...They are taking the Spirit of the Lord and making Him...childlike. That is taking the Lord's name in vain. It is vanity. That is blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. Why does it matter? Because they (charismatics) are taking it (whatever this spirit is) to the whole world, to the lost and hungry. And sharing it. Now I know what I am so focused on this subject. Why it matters.

Last edited:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Little children are trusting and accepting. They accept rather than question because they trust that what is being said to them is the truth. They don't require evidence. They have faith and believe without question.

My take on the matter.
this is a fail, because you will by extension suggest that i blindly believe some Early Church Father, whom Paul declared a Wolf, shall i go dig up the passage for you. The point being that we are not called to blindly believe what some guy tells us, just because he thinks he has made a case from Scripture. We even have passages about testing; so this pov cannot be what is meant.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
see, we will debate what Christ meant by this, yet no one reading this will seriously entertain a solution to some problem provided by a little child, except as a joke perhaps. You imagine that little children blindly believe? Then go tell one that pigs fly, and see what happens. Of course they will not verbally disagree with you, but to imagine that they are not going to test your information at the very first opportunity is simply not accurate. Little kids doubt, too.

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just thinking it over because "childlike" seems be the first attribute attached to the (supposed) physical manifestation of the spirit. Fits of laughter. Giggling. Rolling around on the ground. skipping in love. Soft baby talk...They are taking the Spirit of the Lord and making Him...childlike. That is taking the Lord's name in vain. It is vanity. That is blasphemy of the Holy Spirit.
It's not the physical attributes the Lord is referencing. It's the spiritual. To become as little children "spiritually". To possess the essence of pureness and to have those qualities directed toward God the Father. To have a heart that is void of doubt.

Walking around blindly believing everything that's given to you is silly and that's not what I meant.

Does this help?

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
this is a fail, because you will by extension suggest that i blindly believe some Early Church Father, whom Paul declared a Wolf, shall i go dig up the passage for you.
Yes.

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Acts 20:29
Acts 20
29 For I know this, that after my departure savage wolves will come in among you, not sparing the flock.

How does this tie in with people having blind faith toward God?

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Acts 20
29 For I know this, that after my departure savage wolves will come in among you, not sparing the flock.

How does this tie in with people having blind faith toward God?
you are right imo, it does not, at least until how virtually everyone comes to their beliefs is understood, that being through an interpreter, and not reading Scripture for themselves as is commanded. Iow even if you are not saying it, blind faith in a pastor is often what is intimated.

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
at least until how virtually everyone comes to their beliefs is understood,
Here is how Christians come to their beliefs.

John 6
44 No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up at the last day.

skyangel

Realist
Jul 12, 2010
Australia
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Australia
Show me in scripture that I am wrong. Not really interested in your opions. as you keep telling me mine is worthless
If you read my previous post you will see scriptures endorsing doctors. Physicians happen to be doctors. The bible clearly says that sick people need doctors ( Physicians)

skyangel

Realist
Jul 12, 2010
Australia
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Australia
No where is God endorcing doctors in the bible. I seen them healed by God as I lay hands on them. So like I said until you meet someone eho is walking in power you will mostly get traditional church teaching which had NO power
The bible warns us about people with so called "powers" who claim to do miracles and boast about their spiritual gifts.
Matt 24:24 For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.
Matt 12:39 But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas:

Too many people chase signs and the bible clearly states that no sign will be given to them but false prophets show them signs and wonders which deceive them and lead them astray.
Beware of people who claim to have spiritual gifts and supernatural powers.

Sword

Nov 13, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
If you read my previous post you will see scriptures endorsing doctors. Physicians happen to be doctors. The bible clearly says that sick people need doctors ( Physicians)
No I think you will find Chist was mentioning the done thing. You are trying to make it fir. Have yiou looked up what endorse means? He was talking there langauge. Jeus never ever any where in scripture told amnyone to go to the doctors, your talking from what you would like it to say. He also never told luck to tage his bag.

skyangel

Realist
Jul 12, 2010
Australia
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Australia
I agree with ya here.
Its true that most children are trusting and accepting. Its true that most have faith and believe what they are told without question.
But do you really think it is a wise thing for any adult to just have blind faith like that and trust in something they are told without question? Isn't that a recipe for disaster and a great way to be led astray by any false doctrines?
The bible teaches people to seek wisdom and understanding. Having blind faith and believing whatever you are told is not wise.
Not understanding the reasons for something is also not wise.
For example, if you belong to a church where people are prone to give prophecies, do you simply believe everything they say by blind faith? Do you question the words in case they happen to be false prophets?
What about the things your church teaches you? Do you simply accept it all by blind faith in spite of the fact that it is [possible they might be teaching false doctrines and leading you astray?
False doctrines are not obviously false on outward appearances. They lead people astray because they seem to be true. The words tickle peoples ears and make them feel good. False prophets and false teachers are like sheep in wolves clothing. They all look harmless on outward appearances and they seduce you with kind words.
Therefore having blind faith in what such people teach you is very foolish.

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jeus never ever any where in scripture told amnyone to go to the doctors,
Jesus clearly states that if someone is physically ill (ie.sick) they have need of a doctor.

Matthew 9
12 When Jesus heard that, He said to them, “Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick.

Luke was a physician and he wrote one of the Gospels.

skyangel

Realist
Jul 12, 2010
Australia
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Australia
I don tseek signs, lol they follow me. Just like scripture says they will
I don tseek signs, lol they follow me. Just like scripture says they will

Well, the fact is I or anyone else on the net cannot see any signs following you or feel any power coming from you so any boasting about such things on internet forums is futile and foolish and only makes you appear to be a braggart with spiritual pride and a huge ego. Some might even call you a liar since they will not believe you but obviously you believe yourself since you have convinced yourself that you walk in the power of the Spirit.
Anyone who does good things in the community has no need to brag about it on line. Their reward is simply seeing the effects of the good they do.
I was in a Pentecostal church for many years and I saw many people who claimed have the gift of healing and claimed to walk in the power of God. I saw and heard testimonies of others who claimed to be healed from things like aches and pains and other things which you cannot see anyway but when it came down to the reality of it all, I saw some hopeful people taking really sick people to the altar to be healed of things which no doctors could heal because they were convinced the power of God was working, but the so called faith healers could not heal them either. They never healed people in wheelchairs to make them walk again. They never healed physically blind people. They never healed physical mutes. All they did was encourage those kind of people to get into the word more and confess that they were healed according to the word of God. Basically they were trying to get them to talk themselves into convincing themselves they were healed. In the end the really sick people died anyway and none were raised from the dead either even though I saw one person who claimed to have the faith, trying to raise a dead person from the dead. All he did was make a total fool of himself but I guess his heart was in the right place and he tried to bring someone back to life.
After my experiences in the Pentecostal church, I am very wary of anyone who claims to have supernatural gifts or powers. Especially since the bible says that it is FALSE PROPHETS who will manifest such things.
Matt 24:24 For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.

skyangel

Realist
Jul 12, 2010
Australia
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Australia
whos boasting?
You are. You are sending a message on the net that you have spiritual powers and signs following you. Why are you doing it when no one can see for themselves if you are telling the truth or just imagining these things?
Anyone could claim the same thing and what would you think?
Here are some possibilities.....
1. Such a person is self deluded and living in a world of fantasy where he imagines he has powers that he doesn't really have.
2. Such a person is trying to boost himself up as being more spiritual than others on the same forum.
3. Such a person is trying to impress others with his so called spirituality.
4. Such a person is a liar who is trying to lead others astray and is trying to hide behind some spiritual gifts to conceal his deceit.

If such a person really was doing miracles and healing people in the streets, the word would get around fast these days and everyone with phone camera would be posting such phenomena on the net.
Ultimately you are nothing and no better then anyone else who lives in the fantasy that they are more spiritual than anyone else and has signs following them.

Every person on this planet ultimately has "signs" following them. Those "signs" are the simple evidence of their personality and spirit.
Loving people spread Love and are followed by Love. Hateful people spread hate and are followed by hate. Compassionate people spread compassion and are followed by compassion etc etc etc. It makes no difference if people believe in any gods or not. The things which "follow" them around are simply evidence of the spirit within them and evidence of the attitude they adopt on the day. Most simply take those things for granted and have no need to brag about what "follows" them.

Sword

Nov 13, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Its true that most children are trusting and accepting. Its true that most have faith and believe what they are told without question.
But do you really think it is a wise thing for any adult to just have blind faith like that and trust in something they are told without question? Isn't that a recipe for disaster and a great way to be led astray by any false doctrines?
The bible teaches people to seek wisdom and understanding. Having blind faith and believing whatever you are told is not wise.
Not understanding the reasons for something is also not wise.
For example, if you belong to a church where people are prone to give prophecies, do you simply believe everything they say by blind faith? Do you question the words in case they happen to be false prophets?
What about the things your church teaches you? Do you simply accept it all by blind faith in spite of the fact that it is [possible they might be teaching false doctrines and leading you astray?
False doctrines are not obviously false on outward appearances. They lead people astray because they seem to be true. The words tickle peoples ears and make them feel good. False prophets and false teachers are like sheep in wolves clothing. They all look harmless on outward appearances and they seduce you with kind words.
Therefore having blind faith in what such people teach you is very foolish.
No one is being asked to believe any man? If you are not a Christian you cannot understand spiritual things. You except what Christ said not man.
Why you think we are asked to believe man? You have need of no man Holy Ghost will teach you all thing. well them that are found in Christ any ways. SO you know some scriptures if you dont know Christ you know nothing. Full stop.