Why do Catholics…

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A graven image is an image or idol that one looks upon as that actual image being a God or Goddess. A figure made of stone or plaster or gold or steel blah blah blay is just that....an image. A reminder of someone or something. Any Christian who creates an image and makes it graven is in violation of Scripture. That is what the Catholic Church teaches. So it sounds like you agree with the long held teaching of The Catholic Church which puts you one step closer to becoming a Catholic.

Shalt not, mean; Shall NOT.
No wonder non-thinking Catholics promote anti-Bible...

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus Established what He called “MY CHURCH”.
Jews were teaching JEWS the TRUTH.
The Teaching Jews died off...
The Gentiles took over the CHURCH and within decades Corrupt pseudo Pharisee, Gentiles and Catholicism took over the CHURCH...
That is a fascinating history of Christianity that I have never heard of....and makes no sense. What history book did you read that in?

Peace be with you....Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, your speaking for me IS NOT Ok...Why make up lies?
I said no such thing.

Yes.
I asked you if you are appointed and you said "No".

I asked you if He is your teacher and you said "Yes".

Soooo how can He be your teacher but you are not appointed? He was THE teacher of the Apostles and they were appointed soooooo how are you not appointed if He is your teacher?

I stated "but when He teaches someone else something opposite of what YOU believe to be the Truth they are wrong?" and your response was "He doesn't". Just so I am understanding you correctly; He teaches YOU the Truth and anyone that disagrees with what YOU have been taught by Him they are wrong!

You stated, Gentile men WERE teaching LIES, and DOING against Gods Word, while hypocritically USING the Lords NAME.....So how do YOU know they were doing this??? Oops...never mind. I forgot. He is your personal teacher..... (I know, I know, you didn't say that! but it is what you are saying without saying it) ;)

Can you now see how you are confused and self deceived?

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your men have taught you wrong. Scripture makes it clear we can leave Him: toward you, goodness, if you continue in His goodness. Otherwise you also will be cut off.

lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified”

Now learn what those mean in real language and not religious chicanery.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well Ronald, we agree that he is saved. The Church teaches he is saved because he had faith EVEN THOUGH he didn't have the opportunity to do the necessary works or get baptized before he died. But if he rejects or fails to comply with ALL the teachings of what one must do to be saved then he has rejected the teachings of Christ and will not be saved.

So lets look at another silly scenario :rolleyes: based on your "baptism is not essential for salvation' teaching of your Protestant men:

Ronald Nolette is alive in NT times and sitting in the crowd
when the Apostle Peter says to the crowd, God waited patiently in the days of Noah, during the building of the ark, in which a few, that is, eight persons, were saved through water. And baptism, which this prefigured, now saves you. Not as a removal of dirt from the body, but as an appeal to God for a clear conscience, through the Resurrection of Jesus Christ. So I Peter, an Apostle of Christ, say to you, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. I am fulfilling the command of Christ when he told us to “Go out and baptize and make disciples.

The Apostle Paul is standing next to Peter and reminds the crowd what he was told by Ananias when he was converted to Christ,
Get up, be baptized and wash your sins away, calling on his name.’

But Ronald stands up in the crowd and says to Peter, Paul and the crowd, "Ummm...Wow....that's kind of crazy. Water can't save you. Listen to me people, not Peter and Paul. Baptism is not essential for your salvation! We have heard Peter and Paul preach about Christ and I now have faith that He is our Lord and Saviour and that He is the son of God so I'm good to go. I'm not going down to the Jordon with you guys to get wet. I'm heading home to tell my wife about Jesus so she will be saved thru faith also".

Sooooo tell me Ronald. Do you think that would go over well with Peter and Paul? You teaching opposite of what they just taught!

Curious and silly Mary

Now you do not understand what was taking place! Acts is not a book for making doctrine.

Paul never once said be baptized to be saved! Peter never did either! YOu fail because you do not ask the basic questions of a piece of literature. and You do not know the people Peter was preaching to and their culture and the transition taking place in the book of Acts from Judaism to Christianity!

YOu look at a passage like this, because it fits your agenda that Jesus is not enough to save but that you have to perform so you can show God something you did like Cain.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The bible as written and not reinterpreted by Rome is!
When you read the OT through at least 8 times and parts of it over 200 times and all the New Testament at least 200 times did you interpret it Ronald? Or did you just read if for fun and not give any comment to anyone on it?;)

Curious and silly Mary

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When you read the OT through at least 8 times and parts of it over 200 times and all the New Testament at least 200 times did you interpret it Ronald? Or did you just read if for fun and not give any comment to anyone on it?;)

Curious and silly Mary

Well as it was written in English, I di dnot need to interpret it! but read it. Then for lots of verses I had to learn how they applied and fit in my life and learn how the bible builds doctrine verse by verse, here a little there a little.

Teh bible is not of anyone's interpretation, but Holy Men of God spoke as they were given utterance by the Holy Spirit! I remember reading that. I believe it as written, no interpretation, just acceptance!

Reactions: Brakelite

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Curious and silly Mary

in·ter·pret
[inˈtərprət]
VERB
  1. explain the meaning of (information, words, or actions):
    "the evidence is difficult to interpret"

2. translate orally or into sign language the words of a person speaking a different language:

If I did not the meaning of a word. I could interpret it by looking it up! But Gods Word is not open to interpretation.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now you do not understand what was taking place! Acts is not a book for making doctrine.

Paul never once said be baptized to be saved! Peter never did either! YOu fail because you do not ask the basic questions of a piece of literature. and You do not know the people Peter was preaching to and their culture and the transition taking place in the book of Acts from Judaism to Christianity!

YOu look at a passage like this, because it fits your agenda that Jesus is not enough to save but that you have to perform so you can show God something you did like Cain.
Acts is not a book for making doctrine? Sooooo what books of the bible do YOU get YOUR doctrine from Ronald?

And what a fascinating way of dodging the question. Just say that they never said that....and then presto magico....you don't have to answer the question because it is based on a false premise.

Yes, you have to perform because FAITH WITHOUT WORKS IS DEAD!!! I guess I should ask you first: Is James a "book for making doctrine"?

I must also perform with my mouth.... declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in my heart that God raised him from the dead then I will be saved. NOTICE it doesn't say "believe only". That passage says DECLARE and BELIEVE! Is Romans a "book for making doctrine"?

Is Ephesians the only book for making doctrine? o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

Who is teaching you this stuff?? (that is a dead serious question that I would LOVE to have an answer to)

Curious and silly Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
in·ter·pret
[inˈtərprət]
VERB
  1. explain the meaning of (information, words, or actions):
    "the evidence is difficult to interpret"

2. translate orally or into sign language the words of a person speaking a different language:

If I did not the meaning of a word. I could interpret it by looking it up! But Gods Word is not open to interpretation.
Lol....Soooo if Gods word is not open to interpretation then why is it when I look back on all your posts do you interpret His word????????? AND TELL ME MY INTERPRETATION IS WRONG....:eek:

Curious Mary

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Huh....So are you saying at one time The Catholic Church did teach the Truth but then God took the kingdom away from the Catholic Church because it started to distort, withhold and obliterate the Truth?
Brokelite must logically claim that Jesus lied when He promised He would be with us always. Or he will claim a true remnant church existed apart from the historic Church, but is unable to give names of anyone in this "true remnant church". The made-in-America SDA doctrine mixes Baptist Mythology with a form of dispensationism and Mormonism, both made-in-America. St. Paul wrote a lot about end times, and evil things, but he never taught that the Church would be overcome with evil. The Bible rules that out. This reformist invention is the anti-Catholics' pillar of sand. Sadly, the SDA bases it's anti-Catholic doctrine in direct opposition of God's promises.

Fear of the truth may be analyzed on three different levels:
1) that the truth would impose unwanted moral responsibilities on them;
2) that any association with the truth would occasion an air of pretentiousness;
3) that any claim to the truth might expose them to being wrong.

They prefer freedom from moral responsibility, absence of any “holier than thou” attitude and exemption from the possible embarrassment of being in error. Their fears, however, take them from the very light and meaning they long for, and plunge them into a dark void were they are trapped by a misery of their own making. Their flight from the truth is also an entrance into a world of gloom.

These three fears are ill fated, as well as ill founded. First of all, truth is our only avenue to real freedom. “You shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free.” John 8:32

Ignorance may at times be blissful, but it is never illuminating. St. Augustine once remarked that he had met many people who had been deceived, but never met anyone who wanted to be deceived.

We have a natural hunger for the truth of things. No one ever asks for the wrong time. It is always the “right” time and the truth about things we want to learn.

Untruth is not helpful, but truth is like a beacon that shows us the way. This is why the Pope titled his great encyclical on the freeing function of truth as Veritas Splendor (Truth’s Splendor).

When we are lost we want to lean the truth about our situation so that we can be liberated from our confusion. The truth makes us free; untruth binds us to bewilderment.
The truth about ourselves awakens us to our moral responsibilities, but we need this awakening in order to become whom we truly are, to advance toward our destiny, to build a meaningful life.

We should welcome the truth that illuminates our moral responsibilities with the same enthusiasm that a person who is lost in the woods and welcomes a compass and a map.

Secondly, the fear that any discovery of truth would make us pretentious is also counterproductive. Truth is not of our own making. Even Christ proclaimed that the truth He illuminated did not spring from Him alone. “My teaching is not mine, but His who sent me” (John 17:6)

Truth is not subjective. It represents the objective order of things. The person who comes to know something of the truth, then should experience humility, not vanity, for he discovers something that is not his.

Christ was emphatic in his denunciation of the Pharisees who claimed to know something of the truth but behaved with a pretentious snobbery. Truth is not he cause of Pharisaism, vanity is.

And both Christ and his Church are unrelenting in their advocacy of humility and in their condemnation of vanity. In fact, it may be far less tolerant of Pharisaism than the secular world. Consider, for example, the comment, “I hate anything fake,” made by Britney Spears, a veritable icon of artificiality and pretense. The secular world awards this kind of duplicity with celebrity.

Thirdly, there is the rather spineless fear that in perusing the truth, we might fall into the embarrassing predicament of being wrong. Again, there is nothing wrong that can reasonably justify this anxiety. We all make mistakes. Not to try something for fear of making a mistake is akin to a paralyzing neurosis that would discourage one from trying anything.

Some people avoid marriage because they fear divorce. Others avoid friendship because they fear rejection. The pursuit of truth presupposes a certain amount of courage. If nothing is ventured, as the maxim goes, nothing is gained.

The fact that truth is indispensable for a meaningful life does not mean that it is always agreeable. Mounting the bathroom scale can be a breathless ascent, because the anxious weight-watcher knows that this simple piece of machinery tells the truth.

But he disconcerting truth that one is overweight may be exactly what one needs if exercising and dieting are to follow. The freedom that health offers may need to be preceded by the disagreeable truth that one is too fat.

Truth is as natural to our minds as oxygen is to our lungs and food is to our digestive system. It is a great mistake to regard the teaching of truth as an imposition. The Church does not, nor can she, “impose” truth.

Rather, she endeavors to propose truths to those who are disposed to receive them. The Vatican’s Declaration of Religious Liberty states that, “The truth cannot impose itself except by virtue of its own truth, as it wins over the mind with gentleness and power.

The Church as Guardian of the Truth and Teacher of the Word provides food for hungry minds. She does not impose the truth; no more than do Christians impose food on hungry bodies when they practice this corporeal act of mercy.

She guards it because it needs to be protected against the contamination of error. She teaches it because it is more nourishing than error. Moreover, the truth enables her to teach realistically about the truth of Christ, the truth of the Catholic Church, and the truth of man. Apostles are ministers of love, but they are also servants of the truth.

By Dr. Donald DeMarco, Professor of Philosophy, St. Jerome’s College at U. of Waterloo, he is married with 5 children.

Taken from The Bread of Life Magazine, July / Aug. Volume 26 Number 3, with minor editing by me.

Reactions: Marymog

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is a fascinating history of Christianity that I have never heard of....and makes no sense. What history book did you read that in?

Peace be with you....Mary

You have been told before, it is not supposed to make sense to you.
You want mindful logical understanding of a spiritual truth.
The point of you choosing to trust your teachers outside of Scripture, is precisely because they give you mindful logical understanding that is satisfactory to your mind.
Gods Understanding IS Spiritual! Understanding Spiritual Heavenly things comes from God, not books, not men!

John 3:
[12] If I have told you earthly things, and ye believe not, how shall ye believe, if I tell you of heavenly things?

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well as it was written in English, I di dnot need to interpret it! but read it. Then for lots of verses I had to learn how they applied and fit in my life and learn how the bible builds doctrine verse by verse, here a little there a little.

Teh bible is not of anyone's interpretation, but Holy Men of God spoke as they were given utterance by the Holy Spirit! I remember reading that. I believe it as written, no interpretation, just acceptance!
Do you intentionally spell 'the' "teh"? Or is your word checker doing that?

Also, you are confusing the word interpret with translate. The bible was TRANSLATED from Greek into English! Not interpreted into English!

Also, Scripture is UNIVERSAL....It doesn't 'apply or fit' into each persons individual circumstance. We all must adhere to the same rules, teachings, doctrines etc. that Christ taught. If we don't.....Oh goodness, I'm just going to stop....this is a waste of time....

Peace be with you Ronald

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You have been told before, it is not supposed to make sense to you.
You want mindful logical understanding of a spiritual truth.
The point of you choosing to trust your teachers outside of Scripture, is precisely because they give you mindful logical understanding that is satisfactory to your mind.
Gods Understanding IS Spiritual! Understanding Spiritual Heavenly things comes from God, not books, not men!

John 3:
[12] If I have told you earthly things, and ye believe not, how shall ye believe, if I tell you of heavenly things?
It's a simple question: What history book did you read that in?

Or what man taught you this 'history' you are putting out?

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I asked you if you are appointed and you said "No".

I asked you if He is your teacher and you said "Yes".

Soooo how can He be your teacher but you are not appointed? He was THE teacher of the Apostles and they were appointed soooooo how are you not appointed if He is your teacher?

I chose to be his Student...and thereafter a follower disciple...and thereafter chose to give my bodily life unto death, FOR my Love of Him.
I have received what His faithful Promise offered.

He teaches YOU the Truth

ANYONE He teaches, He Teaches the Truth.

anyone that disagrees with what YOU

ANYONE the Disagrees with HIS WORD

have been taught by Him they are wrong!

Have SPOKEN THEIR OWN WORDS, and FALSELY ACCREDITED their words....TO HIM!

Similar to what YOU DO.
I say one thing, You completely change what I say, adding in other words, and accredit WHAT you say...to me.

(I know, I know, you didn't say that! but it is what you are saying without saying it) ;)

Wink, wink, your foolish little game. You think yourself so clever, that your lies are appropriate to speak for others. You know nothing but the deceptive game you have learned from your teaches, outside of Scripture.

Can you now see how you are confused and self deceived?

Pot calling kettle black.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I chose to be his Student...and thereafter a follower disciple...and thereafter chose to give my bodily life unto death, FOR my Love of Him.
I have received what His faithful Promise offered.
Oh....I see. Thank you.

I read Scripture just like you do. I am a disciple if Him. I chose to give my life to Him because I love Him. Am I His student also?

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ANYONE He teaches, He Teaches the Truth.
Ummmmm......He is teaching me and your "truth" and my Truth are opposite and Martin Luther's truth was different than Calvins truth and they said they were being taught by Him......soooooo that (and logic) blows your theory out of the water.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ANYONE the Disagrees with HIS WORD.
Let's be honest her Taken! What this boils down to is; ANYONE that disagrees with what YOU think HIS WORD means is wrong. Sooooo stop playing games with me kiddo.