Why do Catholics…

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You misunderstand. It's about the territories they conquered. Isaac Newton wrote brilliantly on the subject. Of course he didn't include America...a bit after his time.

Well we can nit pick that all day long- but it still has nothing to do with anything else. Coupling it with other facts is without warrant.

Besides the medes and persians captures to the west while Rome conquered to teh east and Greece conquered both east and west!

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yet he said this

Acts 17

23 For as I passed by, and beheld your devotions, I found an altar with this inscription, To The Unknown God. Whom therefore ye ignorantly worship, him declare I unto you.

Correct! but as they did not worship as SCripture dictates, di dnot even know of the resurrection, Paul used their altar to an unknown god to make God known.

they erected that altar on Mars Hill (among the myriad of other altars to other gods) to CYA in case they missed a deity they did not know about. so Paul took advantage of their unknown! Brilliant evangelism on Pauls part!

Acts 17:16-33
King James Version

16 Now while Paul waited for them at Athens, his spirit was stirred in him, when he saw the city wholly given to idolatry.

17 Therefore disputed he in the synagogue with the Jews, and with the devout persons, and in the market daily with them that met with him.

18 Then certain philosophers of the Epicureans, and of the Stoicks, encountered him. And some said, What will this babbler say? other some, He seemeth to be a setter forth of strange gods: because he preached unto them Jesus, and the resurrection.

19 And they took him, and brought him unto Areopagus, saying, May we know what this new doctrine, whereof thou speakest, is?

20 For thou bringest certain strange things to our ears: we would know therefore what these things mean.

21 (For all the Athenians and strangers which were there spent their time in nothing else, but either to tell, or to hear some new thing.)

22 Then Paul stood in the midst of Mars' hill, and said, Ye men of Athens, I perceive that in all things ye are too superstitious.

23 For as I passed by, and beheld your devotions, I found an altar with this inscription, To The Unknown God. Whom therefore ye ignorantly worship, him declare I unto you.

24 God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands;

25 Neither is worshipped with men's hands, as though he needed any thing, seeing he giveth to all life, and breath, and all things;

26 And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation;

27 That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us:

28 For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring.

29 Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device.

30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:

31 Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead.

32 And when they heard of the resurrection of the dead, some mocked: and others said, We will hear thee again of this matter.

33 So Paul departed from among them.

Athens was wholly given over to idolatry!

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks Ronald,

That makes sense and is plausible. Is there some historical record of this happening that you can reference or pass on to me so I can learn more about our Christian history? I can't find anything via a internet search.

Thanks In Advance, Mary

Here are a few sites. Not loads of info but simply verify what I said:

The Synagogue was the First Church Building (redeeminggod.com)

The Temple in Jerusalem

The same is true for Jesus’ visits in the Jerusalem temple: “Every day he was teaching at the temple.” (Lk 19:47) “…Jesus was teaching the people in the temple courts and proclaiming the good news…” (Lk 20:1) “Each day Jesus was teaching at the temple, and each evening he went out to spend the night on the hill called the Mount of Olives.” (Lk 21:37)

In the book of Acts, we read that the disciples also went to the temple courts every day (Acts 2:46). And just like Jesus, they evangelised. In Acts 3, Peter and John go to the temple at prayer time, but nothing indicates that they went there just to pray. On the contrary, they heal a beggar in the Name of Jesus and preach the Gospel!

Acts 5 tells us: “The apostles performed many signs and wonders among the people. And all the believers used to meet together in Solomon’s Colonnade.” (v. 12), that is in the temple courts. They then get arrested, “But during the night an angel of the Lord opened the doors of the jail and brought them out. “Go, stand in the temple courts,” he said, “and tell the people all about this new life.” (vv. 19-20).

this is an excerpt form a lengthier article: Why Did the Early Christians Go to the Synagogues? « Charismactivism

The Jewish Influence on Early Church Meetings (heraldmag.org)

Hope these help.

Reactions: Marymog

EloyCraft

Mar 17, 2022
Az
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Correct! but as they did not worship as SCripture dictates, di dnot even know of the resurrection, Paul used their altar to an unknown god to make God known.

they erected that altar on Mars Hill (among the myriad of other altars to other gods) to CYA in case they missed a deity they did not know about. so Paul took advantage of their unknown! Brilliant evangelism on Pauls part!

Acts 17:16-33
King James Version

16 Now while Paul waited for them at Athens, his spirit was stirred in him, when he saw the city wholly given to idolatry.

17 Therefore disputed he in the synagogue with the Jews, and with the devout persons, and in the market daily with them that met with him.

18 Then certain philosophers of the Epicureans, and of the Stoicks, encountered him. And some said, What will this babbler say? other some, He seemeth to be a setter forth of strange gods: because he preached unto them Jesus, and the resurrection.

19 And they took him, and brought him unto Areopagus, saying, May we know what this new doctrine, whereof thou speakest, is?

20 For thou bringest certain strange things to our ears: we would know therefore what these things mean.

21 (For all the Athenians and strangers which were there spent their time in nothing else, but either to tell, or to hear some new thing.)

22 Then Paul stood in the midst of Mars' hill, and said, Ye men of Athens, I perceive that in all things ye are too superstitious.

24 God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands;

25 Neither is worshipped with men's hands, as though he needed any thing, seeing he giveth to all life, and breath, and all things;

26 And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation;

27 That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us:

28 For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring.

29 Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device.

30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:

31 Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead.

32 And when they heard of the resurrection of the dead, some mocked: and others said, We will hear thee again of this matter.

33 So Paul departed from among them.

Athens was wholly given over to idolatry!
Suppose Paul had convinced them that the God they worship as unknown had made Himself known. That their religion and their worship prepared them to receive the true object of their worship. Christ. Their pagan roots would become a revered part of their Christian identity. Not a remnant of an evil past but a holy relic in service to Our Savior.

I have no doubt you would be claiming it pagan contamination of Christianity to appease the pagan sentiments that prevailed at the time. Paul's victory over paganism unnoticed as you attempt to repaganize what has been Christian for generations or centuries.

Last edited:

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Suppose Paul had convinced them that the God they worship as unknown had made Himself known. That their religion and their worship prepared them to receive the true object of their worship. Christ. Their pagan roots would become a revered part of their Christian identity. Not a remnant of an evil past but a holy relic in service to Our Savior.

I have no doubt you would be claiming it pagan contamination of Christianity to appease the pagan sentiments that prevailed at the time. Paul's victory over paganism unnoticed as you attempt to repaganize what has been Christian for generations or centuries.

Well no I would not claim it pagan contamination. I have no problems with any methodology of worship unless it is before an idol or to one other than the Father and Son.

But even a casual look into Grecian religions would show that their religions were not precursors but an adulterous idolatrous religion. It has been very very long since I studied the ancient religions, but I would not be surprised to find some germs of truth in the grecian panoply of deities! At one time all human population was centered around Babel so when the nations were dispersed they all had truth and over time it became corrupted. And Paul wrote in romans 1 the gentiles corrupted it to the nth degree!

EloyCraft

Mar 17, 2022
Az
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well no I would not claim it pagan contamination. I have no problems with any methodology of worship unless it is before an idol or to one other than the Father and Son.

But even a casual look into Grecian religions would show that their religions were not precursors but an adulterous idolatrous religion. It has been very very long since I studied the ancient religions, but I would not be surprised to find some germs of truth in the grecian panoply of deities! At one time all human population was centered around Babel so when the nations were dispersed they all had truth and over time it became corrupted. And Paul wrote in romans 1 the gentiles corrupted it to the nth degree!
They remembered the flood. The tower was built to make another one survivable. To void the judgement of God.
I think if God didn't preserve the human story in truth for us, no line of descendants from Noah would have passed it down without passing down the distortions that come with family baggage.
They seem to have truth in measure. That measure of what they believe can be pointed at it's true object. Christ. That's what Paul did and it wasn't a complete flop. There were a few converts from the unknown god.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They remembered the flood. The tower was built to make another one survivable. To void the judgement of God.
I think if God didn't preserve the human story in truth for us, no line of descendants from Noah would have passed it down without passing down the distortions that come with family baggage.
They seem to have truth in measure. That measure of what they believe can be pointed at it's true object. Christ. That's what Paul did and it wasn't a complete flop. There were a few converts from the unknown god.

The tower was built to worship the heavens, and to make their name last.

God did preserve it. it is found in the lineages written in Scripture. they became the Jewish nation who preserved true history and the word.

No the Greeks had no knowledge of Jesus!

EloyCraft

Mar 17, 2022
Az
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not all 14 stations are described in Sacred Scripture.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
to what end, mary? i am not interested in another rehash of Catholic interpretations of the Bible, so
Be the best Catholic you know to be imo, what's wrong with that?
And if you ever come to a place where you are prepared to renounce your pope and forgive him of his sins, then we can talk about Christianity
Lol....I knew you wouldn't answer but I thought I would ask. Your non-sensical statement can't be supported with logic or facts and THAT is why you couldn't/wouldn't answer. Non the less, thank you for your time.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Lol....I knew you wouldn't answer but I thought I would ask. Your non-sensical statement can't be supported with logic or facts and THAT is why you couldn't/wouldn't answer. Non the less, thank you for your time.
gotta love this pope though, huh? What a guy!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands

i guess the virgin will be with child would have been heard completely differently by Jesus’ contemporaries…and our NT is chock-full of Greek gods

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
gotta love this pope though, huh? What a guy!
Gotta love everyone. Right? Just like Scripture says....Whoever does not love does not know God, for God is love.

Keeping it real.....Mary

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i guess the virgin will be with child would have been heard completely differently by Jesus’ contemporaries…and our NT is chock-full of Greek gods

Not in the least! The virgin with child was in many false religio0ns- but as they pointed to other gods- it made it wholly idolatrous and spiritually adulterous though it had a germ of truth in them.