Why do Catholics…

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where does it say that? I know the disciples were assembled on the Sunday of the Resurrection for fear of the Jews.

John 20:19 "Then the same day at evening, being the first day of the week, when the doors were shut where the disciples were assembled for fear of the Jews, came Jesus and stood in the midst, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you."

Also, Jesus did not ask us to memorialize the Resurrection. He asked us to remember His death through communion.
Why did Paul tell the Church at Cornith and Galatia to take a collection on "the first day of the week" (Sunday)?

Now concerning the collections that are made for the saints, as I have given order to the churches of Galatia, so do ye also. On the first day of the week let every one of you put apart with himself, laying up what it shall well please him” (I Cor. 16:1-2).

Curious Mary

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
that’s the word origin!
Passover is good too!

Jn 1:29 The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.

Do we have to eat the lamb?

Well i f you say th eword origin of Easter is the incarnation of Jesus (the coming of Jesus) we await your scholarly proof.

sorry but with the massive amount of evidence to the contrary- Just a say so doesn't it cut it.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why did Paul tell the Church at Cornith and Galatia to take a collection on "the first day of the week" (Sunday)?

Now concerning the collections that are made for the saints, as I have given order to the churches of Galatia, so do ye also. On the first day of the week let every one of you put apart with himself, laying up what it shall well please him” (I Cor. 16:1-2).

Curious Mary

Yes they did! The early Jewish believers would stay at synagogue or temple until sundown (which would be Sunday) and held a "Christian " meeting.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You think what I think?????? WOW! I know what paganism is. And paganism was the indigenous religions of America before Europe Christianized the land.

And elsewhere, of course. Native Americans (before the arrival of Europeans) were not the only pagans in the world. There are many Native American Christians today.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes they did! The early Jewish believers would stay at synagogue or temple until sundown (which would be Sunday) and held a "Christian " meeting.
Thanks Ronald,

That makes sense and is plausible. Is there some historical record of this happening that you can reference or pass on to me so I can learn more about our Christian history? I can't find anything via a internet search.

Thanks In Advance, Mary

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Now they recall Christ's resurrection. In fact someone who insists that they still symbolize the concepts that pagans gave them. lacks the expertise required to discuss the matter
madonna-worship.jpg article-2605045-1D1F3FFF00000578-430_964x625.jpg st-peter.jpg

Not pagan at all. All celebrating the resurrection. If not the resurrection, most definitely Christian right? Most assuredly the church Jesus started.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
bc Emperor Constantine could not crush nascent Christianity, so he blended it in with the Cult of Sol Invictus, and "Catholicism" was the result

why were there catholic bishops long before Constantine?

Successors of the apostles

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And elsewhere, of course. Native Americans (before the arrival of Europeans) were not the only pagans in the world. There are many Native American Christians today.

True. Any religion not christian is considered pagan (except Judaism which is considered incomplete faith), for all worship a false god.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks Ronald,

That makes sense and is plausible. Is there some historical record of this happening that you can reference or pass on to me so I can learn more about our Christian history? I can't find anything via a internet search.

Thanks In Advance, Mary

Hi Mary, I do not know of any online resources, but Alfred Eddersheims "Life and times of Jesus the Messiah" and Arnold Fruchtenbaums four volume set "Life of the Messiah from a Hebrew perspective" both speak to believing Jews meeting after sundown Saturday (start of Sunday).

If you write Dr. Fruchtenbaum @ ariel.org I am sure He or other member would write back with historic detail. Almost his entire staff is composed of Messianic Jews who are well taught in Jewish History in the time of Jesus and the Apostles.

I will look online to see if I can find a resource there.

Reactions: Marymog

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Even if it did, Easter is not defined as east to west. And specifically the gospel went out to the east, west, north and south.
Actually, I agree from one perspective with theefaith. The beasts/empires of Daniel, all pagan empires, spread from east to west. Babylon, Persia, Greece, Pagan Rome, papal Rome, then protestant America. It's a very interesting prophetic paradigm.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually, I agree from one perspective with theefaith. The beasts/empires of Daniel, all pagan empires, spread from east to west. Babylon, Persia, Greece, Pagan Rome, papal Rome, then protestant America. It's a very interesting prophetic paradigm.

Well Persia is east of Babylon so that is west to east (modern Iraq and Iran) so that paradigm is destroyed.

Alsdo if tradition is correct- James went to India with teh gospel. Peter went to Babylon which is west to east, and the gospel went to Syria and Lebanon which is west to east and then south to north!

EloyCraft

Mar 17, 2022
Az
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
True. Any religion not christian is considered pagan (except Judaism which is considered incomplete faith), for all worship a false god.
Pagan is defined as the worship of a false god?
Paul wasn't saying that to the worshipers of the' unknown god' in Athens about their god.