Why do Catholics adore, worship and deify Mary so much?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Pearl was 100% correct when she wrote "We all respect her as an ordinary women chosen for an extraordinary purpose but we don't and shouldn't venerate her above all else. Jesus is the name above all names - not Mary." (even if there was a typo.)

Mary was a teenager chosen by God to become pregnant by the Holy Spirit and give birth to Jesus. After that she was a fair-to-middling mother; she lost sight of her child for more than three days! When Jesus was told that she and her (true) brothers came to see him, he said that His disciples were His true mother and brothers.

You at odds with God and Jesus and the Bible! Doesn't that concern you?
God and Jesus didn't think of Mary as an ordinary woman Jim. You degrade her while they, and Scripture, uplift her! Why do you do that?

Also, a mother losing their child is not an indication of her being a "fair-middling mother". Did you ever think that maybe it was necessary for him to be lost for 3 days? A purpose behind that God approved event?

I dare you to tell Jesus that his mother was a "fair-to-middling mother". Oh, wait! You already did....

You and @Pearl can quit the lie that The Church venerates her "above all else". Complete flat out lie!

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where does it say any of this in the Bible? Answer: nowhere!

Sola scriptura!
Ok Jim! Using Scripture alone show me where it says that Mary was a "fair-to-middling mother" and a "ordinary woman". You can't which means you don't even practice what you preach...Sola scriptura!

How about I debunk your ordinary woman theory using your Sola Scriptura theory that has been taught to you by your Protestant men: And she spake out with a loud voice, and said, Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb.

"Blessed among women" doesn't sound so ordinary to me Jimbo!

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I was referring to the modern razzmatazz of people having to go through Theology College in order to become a priest or whatever.
Jesus did it much more simply, he simply told his disciples to "spread the word", and we too can do the same..:)

Umm after training them for 3 years or so..

Pax et Bonum

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Special / unique Mary!

There is only one “Mother of God”!Lk 1:43

There is only one “Virgin-Mother”! Isa 7:14 perpetual virgin!

There is only one “Immaculate Conception” prepared by God for His only begotten son! Gen 3:15 Lk 1:28 Lk 1:49 Rev 12:1

There is only one “Handmaid of the Lord”! Lk 1:28

There is only one “Mother of our Savior” who consented to our salvation undoing the sin of Eve! Lk 1:28

Mary found our salvation lost by Adam! Lk 1:30

Consented to our salvation! Lk 1:38

There is only one “woman” who seed crushes satans proud head Gen 3:15 and is queen in heaven! Rev 12:1

There is only one who’s soul (existence) magnifies the Lord! Lk 1:46

We must declared Her “blessed”! Lk 1:48

And we cannot be disciples of Our Lord without taking Mary into our house! Jn 19:26:27

Bob Carabbio

Aug 3, 2016
Dallas, TX
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
His church isn't visible? That makes no sense! Then how can we find it?
Simple WE ARE IT.

The church is wherever Born again and infilled with Holy Spirit people are.

Oh - and we do get together on a regular basis in buildings belonging to corporations that "Call themselves Churches" but are really nothing but "Buildings" configured for people to meet together, and have activities.

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Oh - and we do get together on a regular basis in buildings belonging to corporations that "Call themselves Churches" but are really nothing but "Buildings"

Hey Bob,

Well go ahead and meet in 'nothing bit buildings' of you like.

As for myself, i rather enjoy offering sacrifice to my God in a building which has been built and decorated to His Glory, that has been blessed by the prayers of His people and Graced by His Presence..

But to each their own I guess..

You too! Are welcome to come to the wedding Feast of the Lamb of God!

Pax et Bonum

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 5:14
Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.

Eph 3:5 Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit;

Apostolic authority!
God sent them apostles to teach them the truth revealed by Christ!
Philip an apostle acts 8
Peter an apostle acts 10

Jn 17:20 Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word;

Acts 22:15 For thou shalt be his witness unto all men of what thou hast seen and heard.

There is a big difference between the people, and the priesthood of Christ and the apostles!

Matthew 22:14
For many are called, but few are chosen.

Matt 13:11 He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.

Jn 20:21 as the father sent me, I send you. And Jn 17:18 I send you!

(The apostles with the same mission, power, and authority)

The apostles received the kingdom.
Lk 22:29

The apostles administer the kingdom. Matt 16:18-19 & 18:18

The apostles govern the church.
Matt 28:19-20

The apostles hold office.
Acts 1:15-20

The apostles have authority to forgive sins. Jn 20:23

Apostles are the light of the world!
The church is an extension of Christ in time and space. Matt 5:14

The apostles are Christ’s successors!
They have authority to send others as well, apostle means one who is sent!

Therefore the apostles have authority to send more apostles or successors!
Apostolic succession!

The nations still need to be taught, disciples still need to be baptized and the church the new covenant kingdom of christ still needs to be governed!

Three fold ministry,

Teaching:
Sanctification:
Governing:

Keys of authority! And power to bind and loose! Matt 16:18 and Matt 18:18 matt 28:19 Isa 22:21-22

Moral authority:
(Teaching)
Necessity of being taught by Christ:
Two edge sword: defining truth and condemning errors, and Interpreting scripture.

Jurisdictional authority:
(Governing / administering)
Necessity of Peter and the apostles and their successors to govern the holy church.

Spiritual authority:
(Life of Grace)
Sanctifying thru the mass and Sacraments

God established order and peace and knowledge of truth in a hierarchical authority of Peter and the apostles!

There is a hierarchical authority in all that God has ordained!

The angelic kingdom!
The civil kingdom!
The church kingdom!
The family!

All are ordered with hierarchical and jurisdictional authority!

There CANNOT be both!

Either Apostolic tradition in hierarchical authority which establishes truth, peace and order!

Or

Spiritual anarchy producing chaos and disorder!

Prophecy of the new covenant and given to a nation bringing forth the fruits thereof. (The new covenant church) Jn 15:1-5

Dan 2: 44 And in the days of these kings (Roman Caesars) shall the God of heaven set up a kingdom, which shall never be destroyed: and the kingdom shall not be left to other people, but it shall break in pieces and consume all these kingdoms, and it shall stand for ever.

Isaiah 2:2
And it shall come to pass in the last days, that the mountain of the Lord's house shall be established in the top of the mountains, and shall be exalted above the hills; and all nations shall flow unto it.

Micah 4:1
But in the last days it shall come to pass, that the mountain of the house of the Lord shall be established in the top of the mountains, and it shall be exalted above the hills; and people shall flow unto it.

Daniel 7:18
But the saints of the most High shall take the kingdom, and possess the kingdom for ever, even for ever and ever.

Lk 1:32 He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest: and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David:

33 And he shall reign over the house of Jacob for ever; and of his kingdom there shall be no end.

Lk 22:29 And I appoint unto you a kingdom, as my Father hath appointed unto me;

Matthew 5:14
Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.

Blah, blah, blah! More of your irrational nonsense!

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God and Jesus didn't think of Mary as an ordinary woman Jim. You degrade her while they, and Scripture, uplift her! Why do you do that?

Also, a mother losing their child is not an indication of her being a "fair-middling mother". Did you ever think that maybe it was necessary for him to be lost for 3 days? A purpose behind that God approved event?

I dare you to tell Jesus that his mother was a "fair-to-middling mother". Oh, wait! You already did....

You and @Pearl can quit the lie that The Church venerates her "above all else". Complete flat out lie!

Catholic rationalization! I believe the Bible, not what you claim it says. Mary was a teenager chosen by God for a single purpose: to give birth to Jesus. Period!

The Catholic church clearly and unmistakably elevates Mary far, far above what Scripture says about her. I am at a loss as to why! (BTW, I am not in the slightest interested in what you think about her, only what the Bible says.) Sola scriptura!

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here is what I wrote on another Christian forum...

I cannot understand the Catholic obsession with Mary and her virginity. Rather than accepting what the Bible clearly says about her and her offspring (including Jesus' siblings) they s-t-r-e-t-c-h Scripture to claim a) she was a perpetual virgin, b) that Jesus' siblings were not actually His siblings, c) that she is the woman in Genesis 3, d) that she is the queen of heaven in Revelation12, etc.

a) Why is there the obsession to believe her perpetual virginity? Is there something wrong with she and Joseph having intercourse and having other children? Is intercourse "dirty"? Is a virgin akin to a "pure" woman?
b) Since the Bible clearly states that Jesus had siblings, why the twisting of the words to claim that the words mean something different and/or they are offspring from another marriage of Joseph's?
c) If Eve is the woman in Genesis 3, then it was Eve who was deceived by the serpent into eating the forbidden fruit. They can't have it both ways!
d) If she is the queen of heaven, then a) she was clothed with the sun, and with the moon under her feet, and on her head was a crown of twelve stars (yet that isn't mentioned anywhere else in Scripture and would make Mary some sort of cosmic being), b) the dragon’s tail swept away a third of the stars in heaven and hurled them to the earth (which would have ended all life!), and c) she couldn't have fled into the wilderness where a place had been prepared for her by God, so she could be taken care of for 1,260 days (which is contrary to what Scripture says about she, Joseph, and Jesus fleeing to Egypt).

What compels Catholics to believe these myths??? Is being a non-virgin a source of shame for a woman? Is it a stain on Jesus to be the oldest sibling? Is Mary the source of sin entering the world? Is it necessary to twist John's vision to mean something other than what it clearly says?

In summary, why do Catholics have to twist Scripture to conform to clearly held myths, coming up with every excuse and rationale to create a false reality?

=> Catholics need not respond! <=

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Catholic rationalization! I believe the Bible, not what you claim it says. Mary was a teenager chosen by God for a single purpose: to give birth to Jesus. Period!
Lol Jim....I do believe the bible. I believe she was blessed among women, just like Scripture says. You believe she was ordinary. Scripture does NOT say what you believe. Neither does God or Jesus. What more is there to say?

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Simple WE ARE IT.

The church is wherever Born again and infilled with Holy Spirit people are.

Oh - and we do get together on a regular basis in buildings belonging to corporations that "Call themselves Churches" but are really nothing but "Buildings" configured for people to meet together, and have activities.
Who is WE? People that meet YOUR criteria? Can you not see how juvenile your theory is?

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lol Jim....I do believe the bible. I believe she was blessed among women, just like Scripture says. You believe she was ordinary.

There is nothing more to say. You believe what you want to believe, I believe the Bible (what it clearly says, not the Catholic delusion). Sola scriptura!

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you trying to be a latter-day Moses? Who are you to condemn "the churches"? Have you actually surveyed the body of Christ? Or are you just mean-spirited and judgmental?
The question you should be asking is Have i surveyed every single church . TO which i would say , well NO i have not .
BUT then i would answer and say , BUT ALL the many churches that i have surveyed are FALLEN BIG TIME . HUGE .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is nothing more to say. You believe what you want to believe, I believe the Bible (what it clearly says, not the Catholic delusion). Sola scriptura!
Scripture does not say she was an ordinary woman which proves your man made Protestant theory of Sola Scriptura a lie.

Bob Carabbio

Aug 3, 2016
Dallas, TX
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who is WE? People that meet YOUR criteria? Can you not see how juvenile your theory is?
SInce when is being Born by FAITH in the SIN OFFERING of Jesus (Eph 2:8,9) "MY CRITERIA"??? It's straight out of the Bible (that Roman Catholics seem not to take seriously unless it fits their agenda). The Church is PEOPLE - not Denominational systems, old art, stanedglass windows, pagentry, and ceremonies.

Reactions: Jim B

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
..the modern razzmatazz of people having to go through Theology College in order to become a priest or whatever.
Jesus did it much more simply, he simply told his disciples to "spread the word", and we too can do the same..:)

Umm after training them for 3 years or so..

Yes but Jesus never made the disciples sit an exam first, he told them to simply go out out and repeat what they'd heard him preaching..:)
"When they saw the courage of Peter and John and realized that they were unschooled, ordinary men, they were astonished and they took note that these men had been with Jesus" (Acts 4:13)
Paul said "I may not be a trained speaker but I do have knowledge" (2 Corinthians 11:6)

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The question you should be asking is Have i surveyed every single church . TO which i would say , well NO i have not .
BUT then i would answer and say , BUT ALL the many churches that i have surveyed are FALLEN BIG TIME . HUGE .

Meaningless. You are making blanket statements, which have no factual basis, about the body of Christ. It's simply your opinion.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Scripture does not say she was an ordinary woman which proves your man made Protestant theory of Sola Scriptura a lie.

Believe what you want. I don't care. Go ahead, worship Mary.

If you question the truth of the Bible, that is between you and God. Sola scriptura!

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
SInce when is being Born by FAITH in the SIN OFFERING of Jesus (Eph 2:8,9) "MY CRITERIA"??? It's straight out of the Bible (that Roman Catholics seem not to take seriously unless it fits their agenda). The Church is PEOPLE - not Denominational systems, old art, stanedglass windows, pagentry, and ceremonies.
Lol....The bible says a little bit more than "born by faith in the sin offering" when it describes The Church and what one must do to become a member of The Church.

Thank you for your time...Mary