Why do Catholics adore, worship and deify Mary so much?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm sorry, and I don't mean to offend you or anybody else in any way but you really need to see that you are mistaken in your beliefs. Yes Jesus is the head of the Church but the Church of Christ encompasses all those who love him.
And do you think the Holy Spirit is limited to work only in what Catholics see as The One True Church?
1 Thessalonians 5:19
Do not quench the Spirit.

the HS is God and works in all men
But official public revelation of Christ is given to His church Jude 1:3 to safeguard the deposit of faith and to propose doctrine without error Jn 16:13 for our belief matt 28:19-20

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, but ALL His Church not just one denomination. He is given to me when I was Anglican and I'm non-denominational now and still the Holy Spirit is with me.

there are no denominations
The scripture only supports the one true church that is apostolic
Only Peter and his successors have the jurisdictional authority of Christ Matt 16:18-19

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
there are no denominations
The scripture only supports the one true church that is apostolic
Only Peter and his successors have the jurisdictional authority of Christ Matt 16:18-19
Well that's the Church I'm part of.

Jan 27, 2022
Frisco
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Given the excessive number of threads and responses in this forum an others regarding Mary, I have to ask...WHY?

Why are Catholics so fixated on Mary? Why does every Catholic church have a significant number of statues and shrines to Mary on the premises and only the giant crucifix with Christ hanging on the cross and maybe a handful of stained glass windows depicting Him? Why do Catholics have shrines to Mary in their front yard and NOT a cross?

In my opinion, it's the magicians 'trick' of distraction taking ones' focus off Jesus, our Savior! How many 'Hail Mary's' have Catholics droned over the years? How many Catholic prayers even MENTION Jesus?

There is close to zero prophecy in the old testament about her other than a couple of references to 'born of a virgin' that refer to Mary 100s of years before she was chosen by God to carry HIS Son. Yet there is voluminous OT prophecy of the Messiah...Jesus.

And no, Genesis 3:15 does NOT reference Mary. The woman in that verse refers to Israel in and Satan's war to destroy Israel thus nullifying Gods' Word, not MARY!

Mary is NOT God! Mary is NOT A god! Mary is simply the 'birth mother' of Jesus chosen by God, no more, no less. So why all the hub-bub about Mary?

Hello everyone,
I am keeping it peaceful and respectful; no bashing of the Blessed Mary. But I do make harsh biblical-compliant statements. My perspective on this is here: Mary Mother of God?. Please read it carefully, not just skim it. It is loaded with very clear Bible references. And btw, I'm also criticizing all other denominations here: We Are Christians.
Then later also look at these 2 posts: How to Pray and Christianity & Judaism

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
the HS is God and works in all men
But official public revelation of Christ is given to His church Jude 1:3 to safeguard the deposit of faith and to propose doctrine without error Jn 16:13 for our belief matt 28:19-20
Hi Theefaith
The original church has changed too much and so I don't know how the deposit of faith has been safeguarded.

What I find is that every denomination has truth and also error.

Do you believe your denomination has no error at all?

Reactions: Christian Believer
Jan 27, 2022
Frisco
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@theefaith

God entrusted the Jewish Levites with old-covenant law. They started out executing it perfectly. Then in the days of Jesus, they failed to recognize Him as Messiah. And their high-priest Caiaphas personally pushed His crucifixion. Human spiritual deterioration at its best. High-priest, Pope, Patriarch, Bishop... Same.

2Kings 18:3-4 [King Hezekiah] "did what was right in the eyes of the Lord, just as his father David had done. He removed the high places, smashed the sacred stones and cut down the Asherah poles. He broke into pieces the bronze snake Moses had made, for up to that time the Israelites had been burning incense to it."
Sound familiar? Moses showed them the way to God, but several generations later they decided to worship the bronze snake! Whatever each person meant when "burning incense to": worship it, ask it to intercede for, etc..

Human spiritual deterioration at its best. Humans are influenced by the world around them Matthew 13:22.

Reactions: GodsGrace

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry @Illuminator - I agree there is only One True Church but our definitions differ.

Which church—that is, which denomination of Christianity—is the “true church”? Which church is the one that God loves and cherishes and died for? Which church is His bride? The answer is that no visible church or denomination is the true church, because the bride of Christ is not an institution, but is instead a spiritual entity made up of those who have by grace through faith been brought into a close, intimate relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ (Ephesians 2:8–9). Those people, no matter which building, denomination, or country they happen to be in, constitute the true church.

Great post!

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Great post!
I agree but there are people on this forum who think otherwise and that one specific denomination is the only True Church. So that's what I meant about differing definitions.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
@theefaith

God entrusted the Jewish Levites with old-covenant law. They started out executing it perfectly. Then in the days of Jesus, they failed to recognize Him as Messiah. And their high-priest Caiaphas personally pushed His crucifixion. Human spiritual deterioration at its best. High-priest, Pope, Patriarch, Bishop... Same.

2Kings 18:3-4 [King Hezekiah] "did what was right in the eyes of the Lord, just as his father David had done. He removed the high places, smashed the sacred stones and cut down the Asherah poles. He broke into pieces the bronze snake Moses had made, for up to that time the Israelites had been burning incense to it."
Sound familiar? Moses showed them the way to God, but several generations later they decided to worship the bronze snake! Whatever each person meant when "burning incense to": worship it, ask it to intercede for, etc..

Human spiritual deterioration at its best. Humans are influenced by the world around them Matthew 13:22.
I agree.
The church remains holy,,,any church (institution).
But humans have ruined every one.

I think I may be beginning to believe in non-denominationalism.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree.
The church remains holy,,,any church (institution).
But humans have ruined every one.

I think I may be beginning to believe in non-denominationalism.

That is where I am. Denominations are just a group of people who claim that they alone understand God's truth. They all have their codified beliefs, rituals, traditions, but the worst part is that they consider that what they believe and do to be the only way that things should be. Just like the OT Jews!

I'm carefully studying Galatians right now, which is an excellent treatise on this very subject. Here is a telling excerpt: Galatians 1:6-12, "I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you by the grace of Christ and are following a different gospel— not that there really is another gospel, but there are some who are disturbing you and wanting to distort the gospel of Christ. But even if we (or an angel from heaven) should preach a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be condemned to hell! As we have said before, and now I say again, if any one is preaching to you a gospel contrary to what you received, let him be condemned to hell! Am I now trying to gain the approval of people, or of God? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a slave of Christ!

Now I want you to know, brothers and sisters, that the gospel I preached is not of human origin. For I did not receive it or learn it from any human source; instead I received it by a revelation of Jesus Christ."

That pretty much sums up what I think about denominations, with the Catholics being the worst offenders. They are a prime example of loading so much onto the Gospel message, both in the words and practices, that it bears no resemblance to the original Christianity.

Reactions: Christian Believer

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
That is where I am. Denominations are just a group of people who claim that they alone understand God's truth. They all have their codified beliefs, rituals, traditions, but the worst part is that they consider that what they believe and do to be the only way that things should be. Just like the OT Jews!

I'm carefully studying Galatians right now, which is an excellent treatise on this very subject. Here is a telling excerpt: Galatians 1:6-12, "I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you by the grace of Christ and are following a different gospel— not that there really is another gospel, but there are some who are disturbing you and wanting to distort the gospel of Christ. But even if we (or an angel from heaven) should preach a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be condemned to hell! As we have said before, and now I say again, if any one is preaching to you a gospel contrary to what you received, let him be condemned to hell! Am I now trying to gain the approval of people, or of God? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a slave of Christ!

Now I want you to know, brothers and sisters, that the gospel I preached is not of human origin. For I did not receive it or learn it from any human source; instead I received it by a revelation of Jesus Christ."

That pretty much sums up what I think about denominations, with the Catholics being the worst offenders. They are a prime example of loading so much onto the Gospel message, both in the words and practices, that it bears no resemblance to the original Christianity.
I do agree re your last paragraph. It saddens me that it changed so much as to make the reformation necessary, which caused a lot of strife and deaths.
In Europe.

It would be nice if we could depend Only on Jesus, our teacher. But He knew it wouldn't be enough, so He sent the Apostles to teach, preach and baptize.
And to do this properly, does require bldgs and people.

How about this?
I rely on Jesus and ask Him for forgiveness if I have accepted, in my own mind, a teaching that is wrong.
And then I just get what I can from here , or a church, or even YouTube these days.

It seems to be working.
If asked my religious affiliation, the reply is,,,christian.

Reactions: Jim B

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
yes
For Christ and his church are one! Acts 9:4 eph 5:32
And cos the truth revealed by Christ is committed to the church for defending and teaching all nations. Matt 28:19-20 Jude 1:3

Propagation of the faith eph 4:5 Jude 1:3 without error Jn 16:13 is the duty of holy mother church to secure the salvation of souls!
How does the CC save souls?

Jan 27, 2022
Frisco
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Hello @Jim B
I really like your attitude about this. Well because I am exactly the same way :).
I know people keep referring everybody to a variety of other links, but I am going referring you to mine because it is exactly in line with what you're saying. And has uncovered a lot of deficiencies in churches. No ads or donations, all with biblical references, a site dedicated to the Lord. Please take a look, I'm sure you'll love it:
RealBibleStudy.org Non-Denominational
Every link on this website has shocking uncovering of the real interpretation of misinterpreted truths from the Bible that is enough to put churches out of business!

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello everyone,
I am keeping it peaceful and respectful; no bashing of the Blessed Mary. But I do make harsh biblical-compliant statements. My perspective on this is here: Mary Mother of God?. Please read it carefully, not just skim it. It is loaded with very clear Bible references. And btw, I'm also criticizing all other denominations here: We Are Christians.
Then later also look at these 2 posts: How to Pray and Christianity & Judaism

Biblical Mary, mother of God, ever Virgin, sinless, mother of our salvation!

Mother of God Lk 1:43

Immaculate conception (sinless) gen 3:15 enmity or total war none of satans works are found in Mary!
Also Lk 1:28 full of grace lk 1:49 great things plural (immaculate conception of Mary and the miraculous conception of Jesus) Rev12:1 woman clothed with the sun. Immaculate purity

Lk 1:30 found favor with God (the salvation lost by Adam) mother of our salvation Lk 2:30 and cos she consented to our salvation! Lk 1:38

Perpetual Virgin Isa 7:14 matt 1:21
Lk 1:31-34

Spiritual Mother Jn 19:26-27 rev 12:17

Mother of the creator is mother of all creation!

Mother of the Redeemer is the mother of all the redeemed!

Mother of our Savior is the mother of all those who obtain salvation!
Lk 1:30

All generations call me blessed! Lk 1:
Thanksgiving in praise of Mary for bearing our savior! Matt 1:23 And finding our salvation! Lk 1:30

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Theefaith
The original church has changed too much and so I don't know how the deposit of faith has been safeguarded.

What I find is that every denomination has truth and also error.

Do you believe your denomination has no error at all?

not possible either to have a denomination or error
Only one true church Jn 19:16
Without error Jn 16:13 and without change
Christ an his church are one! Acts 9:4 eph 5:32

Hebrews 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Christ
Revealed truth
The church
Cannot change or be reformed

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think this debate can be settled quite easily.

For all those who think that icons and statues are idolatry, they should keep believing that and move on.

For the rest of us that go to churches where icons and statues exist, we know that we’re not praying to a literal painting or statue so we move on too.

Everybody’s happy. Problem solved.

It the wonderment that is not resolved, thus the question of the OP....Why?

The scripture teaches to not make images. Not bow down to them or their images. The wonderment is WHY does the catholic church promote, do, make images of Mary, bow down themselves to the images, call on her name?

Why expressly teach, preach, do....the exact opposite of what Gods says?

EX 20:5
[5] Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;

Reactions: Jim B

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@theefaith

Hebrews 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.