Why do Catholics adore, worship and deify Mary so much?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually, they do. They say she is a co-redemptrix. Calling Mary a “Co-redemptrix” places her on an equal level with Jesus Christ, the Son of God, making her something like a fourth person of the Trinity, a goddess, which is blasphemy for any true Christian.

My husband was raised catholic and my mother-in-law has given us literature (tracts) showing "Mary" (Ishtar/queen of heaven) with nail scars in her hands and a crown of thorns on her head ...and all manner of sheep looking up to her. This IS blasphemy!!!!

co simply refers to cooperate
Just as the Roman’s cooperated in our salvation by executing Christ!

just as Eve cooperated in the fall Mary cooperated in our salvation!

co-redemtrix is not a dogma like

The immaculate conception:
(Of Mary in her mothers womb)
The Divine motherhood of Mary:
(Mother of God)
The perpetual virginity:
(Of Mary)
The assumption:
(Of Mary into heaven and crowned as queen of all angels and saints)

EloyCraft

Mar 17, 2022
Az
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
T
The reason that Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit and John leapt in her womb was because of God, not Mary. God fills whomever He chooses with the Holy Spirit, in whatever manner He chooses. Mary's voice was not the source, God was.

For example, how was Zecheriah filled with the Holy Spirit in Luke 1:67? "Then his father Zechariah was filled with the Holy Spirit and prophesied..." Mary wasn't present.

In Acts 2:4, "All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit, and they began to speak in other languages as the Spirit enabled them." Mary wasn't there either.

The same with Acts 4:31, Acts 9:17, Acts 13:52, etc.
The most important thing about this event involves one of your favorite Gospel miracles.

Faith is through hearing and hearing the Word of God.

That miracle began when the Word of God reached Elizabeth's ear and we see the Faith in Christ erupt from her. And from John the Baptist too.

This is another time Mary is first. Faith through hearing began with her.

I'm sure it doesn't matter.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually, they do. They say she is a co-redemptrix. Calling Mary a “Co-redemptrix” places her on an equal level with Jesus Christ, the Son of God, making her something like a fourth person of the Trinity, a goddess, which is blasphemy for any true Christian.

My husband was raised catholic and my mother-in-law has given us literature (tracts) showing "Mary" (Ishtar/queen of heaven) with nail scars in her hands and a crown of thorns on her head ...and all manner of sheep looking up to her. This IS blasphemy!!!!

not a goddess!

Goddess?

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee, blessed art thou among women. Lk 1:28

How can a goddess be full of grace?
Hail Mary full of grace!

How can the Lord be with a goddess?
The lord is with thee!

How can a goddess be blessed!
Blessed art thou, and all generations shall call me blessed!

Lk 1: 43 And whence is this to me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me?

How can a goddess be the mother of God?

Lk 1: 45 And blessed is she that believed: for there shall be a performance of those things which were told her from the Lord.

How could a goddess be faithful?

Lk 1: 46 And Mary said, My soul doth magnify the Lord,

47 And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour.

How could a goddess glorify God or have a savior?

Lk 1:48 For he hath regarded the low estate of his handmaiden: for, behold, from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed.

How could a goddess be humble?

Lk 1:49 For he that is mighty hath done to me great things; and holy is his name.

How could a goddess be the immaculate conception and the have the Holy Spirit accomplish the Miraculous conception of Jesus?

Matt 1:21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name Jesus: for he shall save his people from their sins.

22 Now all this was done, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying,

23 Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.

How could a goddess be a perpetual Virgin bringing forth the savior of the world?

Jn 19:27 Then saith he to the disciple, Behold thy mother! And from that hour that disciple took her unto his own home.

How could a goddess be our spiritual mother?

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's different than what you said initially which was, "So Elizabeth (not Mary) was filled with the Holy Spirit in this verse," even though I said, "Elizabeth was "filled with the Holy Spirit."

In full I said, "At the mere sound of hearing Mary's voice, Elizabeth was "filled with the Holy Spirit" and her infant "leapt in her womb," because that's what Lk. 1:41 says: "And it came to pass, that when Elizabeth heard the salutation of Mary, the infant leaped in her womb. And Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Ghost." So, there's no denying these events occurred after Elizabeth and John heard Mary's voice, and that doesn't mean God wasn't the source for why.

The reasons Mary was chosen to be the Mother of God are why She's worthy of veneration, is a powerful intercessor on our behalf, etc, and why people of all generations past, present, and future call Her "blessed."

Simply because Mary was chosen to give birth to Jesus and raise him (along with King Joseph) doesn't mean that she is worthy of veneration. In fact, when Jesus was asked who His mother was, he replied...

Matthew 12:46-50, "While Jesus was still speaking to the crowds, his mother (Mary) and brothers came and stood outside, asking to speak to him. Someone told him, “Look, your mother and your brothers are standing outside wanting to speak to you.” To the one who had said this, Jesus replied, “Who is my mother and who are my brothers?” And pointing toward his disciples he said, “Here are my mother and my brothers! 50 For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother.”

So even Jesus didn't venerate her! And there is no proof that she is a powerful intercessor on our behalf, etc., in the Bible or anywhere else. That's just RCC false propaganda.

She was blessed by God, but so are many others. And she is not the "mother of God". There is nothing in the Bible that gives her that title; it's a Catholic invention.

Reactions: Pearl

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You said that said, "Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit" at the sound of Mary's voice, clearly implying that Mary's voice was the reason.

She was blessed by being chosen to give birth to Jesus. That is different than veneration, worship, and inventing unScriptural myths about her.

Only cos she gave birth to Jesus was she blessed?

please explain Lk 1:28 where she is declared blessed before consenting to the birth of Christ?

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Simply because Mary was chosen to give birth to Jesus and raise him (along with King Joseph) doesn't mean that she is worthy of veneration. In fact, when Jesus was asked who His mother was, he replied...

Matthew 12:46-50, "While Jesus was still speaking to the crowds, his mother (Mary) and brothers came and stood outside, asking to speak to him. Someone told him, “Look, your mother and your brothers are standing outside wanting to speak to you.” To the one who had said this, Jesus replied, “Who is my mother and who are my brothers?” And pointing toward his disciples he said, “Here are my mother and my brothers! 50 For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother.”

So even Jesus didn't venerate her! And there is no proof that she is a powerful intercessor on our behalf, etc., in the Bible or anywhere else. That's just RCC false propaganda.

She was blessed by God, but so are many others. And she is not the "mother of God". There is nothing in the Bible that gives her that title; it's a Catholic invention.

mother of God Lk 1:43
Matt 12 Jesus is glorifying Mary!
She was the faithful one Lk 1:45

who is that scripture says the Holy Spirit over shadows the ark of the covenant and Mary most holy!

Ex 40:34 Then a cloud covered the tent of the congregation, and the glory of the Lord filled the tabernacle.

Lk 1:35 And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.

Even though God determined the hour of Christ’s public ministry could begin, by Mary’s intercession Christ complied with her request! Jn 2
And his disciples believed Jn 2:11
He obeyed his own commandment
Honor Thy father and mother
Powerful intercession!

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The reasons Mary was chosen to be the Mother of God are why She's worthy of veneration, etc, and why people of all generations past, present, and future call Her "blessed."

One of the commandments is "Honor thy Mother," and Jesus obeyed them, so yes He did and does.

But, only Mary was/is worthy of being the Mother of God.

Jesus is God Incarnate.

Biblical Mary, mother of God, ever Virgin, sinless, mother of our salvation!

Mother of God Lk 1:43

Immaculate conception (sinless) gen 3:15 enmity or total war none of satans works are found in Mary!
Also Lk 1:28 full of grace lk 1:49 great things plural (immaculate conception of Mary and the miraculous conception of Jesus) Rev12:1 woman clothed with the sun. Immaculate purity

Without Mary being immaculate the Holy Spirit could not conceive the son of God in Her!

Lk 1:30 found favor with God (the salvation lost by Adam) mother of our salvation Lk 2:30 and cos she consented to our salvation! Lk 1:38

Perpetual Virgin Isa 7:14 matt 1:21
Lk 1:31-34

Spiritual Mother Jn 19:26-27 rev 12:17

Mother of the creator is mother of all creation!

Mother of the Redeemer is the mother of all the redeemed!

Mother of our Savior is the mother of all those who obtain salvation!
Lk 1:30

All generations call me blessed! Lk 1:
Thanksgiving in praise of Mary for bearing our savior! Matt 1:23 And finding our salvation! Lk 1:30

Praise honor veneration and devotion redound to the Glory of God who created Mary immaculate Lk 1:49 as Christ source of all grace! Jn 1:16-17

Praise, honor, veneration, and devotion are not worship, worship requires intent!

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The reasons Mary was chosen to be the Mother of God are why She's worthy of veneration, etc, and why people of all generations past, present, and future call Her "blessed."

One of the commandments is "Honor thy Mother," and Jesus obeyed them, so yes He did and does.

But, only Mary was/is worthy of being the Mother of God.

Jesus is God Incarnate.

Typical Catholic propaganda. Why did Jesus reject His mother in Matthew 12?

Reactions: Pearl

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Biblical Mary, mother of God, ever Virgin, sinless, mother of our salvation!

Mother of God Lk 1:43

Immaculate conception (sinless) gen 3:15 enmity or total war none of satans works are found in Mary!
Also Lk 1:28 full of grace lk 1:49 great things plural (immaculate conception of Mary and the miraculous conception of Jesus) Rev12:1 woman clothed with the sun. Immaculate purity

Without Mary being immaculate the Holy Spirit could not conceive the son of God in Her!

Lk 1:30 found favor with God (the salvation lost by Adam) mother of our salvation Lk 2:30 and cos she consented to our salvation! Lk 1:38

Perpetual Virgin Isa 7:14 matt 1:21
Lk 1:31-34

Spiritual Mother Jn 19:26-27 rev 12:17

Mother of the creator is mother of all creation!

Mother of the Redeemer is the mother of all the redeemed!

Mother of our Savior is the mother of all those who obtain salvation!
Lk 1:30

All generations call me blessed! Lk 1:
Thanksgiving in praise of Mary for bearing our savior! Matt 1:23 And finding our salvation! Lk 1:30

Praise honor veneration and devotion redound to the Glory of God who created Mary immaculate Lk 1:49 as Christ source of all grace! Jn 1:16-17

Praise, honor, veneration, and devotion are not worship, worship requires intent!

You remind me of a parrot!

Total nonsense! Why did Jesus reject His mother in Matthew 12?

Sola Scriptura!

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matt 12 Jesus is glorifying Mary!
She was the faithful one Lk 1:45

who is that scripture says the Holy Spirit over shadows the ark of the covenant and Mary most holy!

Ex 40:34 Then a cloud covered the tent of the congregation, and the glory of the Lord filled the tabernacle.

Lk 1:35 And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.

Even though God determined the hour of Christ’s public ministry could begin, by Mary’s intercession Christ complied with her request! Jn 2
And his disciples believed Jn 2:11
He obeyed his own commandment
Honor Thy father and mother
Powerful intercession!

Read Matthew 12.

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Do Catholics make up LIES such as this about your beliefs???

And calling the mother of Jesus a pagan goddess is not blasphemy?

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
If Mary was a queen and a king is the queen's husband, then Joseph is a king! All hail King Joseph!
This statement exposes your ignorance. All the kings in the OT had their MOTHER as queen of the Davidic kingdom, not the wife of the king. Grow up from your fundie ghetto.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sola Scriptura![/QUOTE]

The doctrine of the “Bible alone” or the “Bible is the only source of authority”

Deny’s the divine tradition: Christ teaching the apostles in person.

Deny’s the power of the Holy Spirit: to guide the apostles into all truth, Jn 16:13 and to governing the church. And be witnesses for Christ. Acts 1:8

Deny’s the apostolic tradition:
Authority to define scripture:
Authority to interpret scripture:
Authority to teach the entire divine revelation.

Denys the authority other than the “Bible alone! Including
Divine authority
Apostolic authority
angelic authority
Civil authority
Parental authority

Restricts the divine revelation and the word of God to scripture alone.

Provides no authority to know what is scripture.
Provides no authority to know what is not scripture.
Provides no authority to safeguard and protect scripture from errors.
Provides no authority to teach scripture without error.
Provides no authority to interpret scripture.

Reasons to oppose the doctrine of the “Bible alone”

Blind or illiterate and cannot read scripture. (Most people before the 20th century were illiterate)
Rare & Expensive (even after the printing press)
Faith comets by hearing not reading.

The Bible alone does not teach the doctrine of the “Bible alone”.

Biblical reference to authority other than the Bible alone.
Matt 16:18-19
Matt 18:18
Matt 28:18-20
Matt 18:17
Jn 20:21-23
Acts 2:42
Acts 8:31
1 Tim 3:15

When God called abram, Moses, the prophets, John the Baptist, and apostles it was not by the “Bible alone” Lk 3:2 the word of God came to John in the wilderness… a book did not fall out of the sky.

There is no list of scripture in scripture!

How does a person know what books, chapters, and verses are scripture and which ones are not?

The word of God is not limited to the “Bible alone”!

The word of God came to Abraham, to Moses, the prophets, and to John the Baptist in the wilderness (Lk3:2) but it did not come by the Bible, or the “Bible alone” not by any book, chapter, or verse!

Scripture all scripture is inspired, all the books and chapters of the canonical scripture authorized by Christ and His church!

The teaching authority of the apostles is the God breathed word of God!

Jn 20:23 He breathed on them (the apostles) and said receive the Holy Spirit…

Lk 10:16 he who hears you (the apostles) hears me. (Hears the word of God)

Jn 20:21 as the father sent me, I send you.

Acts 2:42 the doctrine of the apostles is the word of God!

Matt 28:18-20

18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.

19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

1 cor 11:23 For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, that the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread:

1 Jn 1:3 That which we have seen and heard declare we unto you, that ye also may have fellowship with us: and truly our fellowship is with the Father, and with his Son Jesus Christ

1 Jn 1:5 This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.

(The apostles received the word of God and handed it down to us, partly in the scripture)

2 Thessalonians 2:15
Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle.

All scripture is inspired! 2 Tim 3:16
(Not only 66 books with missing chapters)

2 John 1:12
Having many things to write unto you, I would not write with paper and ink: but I trust to come unto you, and speak face to face, that our joy may be full.

Did the apostle John possess the truth? Or only when He wrote it down did it become the truth?

Is what He taught only mere human tradition of men? But what He wrote was the inspired word?

Why is there joy complete in the person of the apostle?

The doctrine of the “Bible alone”
or that the church believes by the “Bible alone” is a heresy!

The truth is revealed by God thru Christ and taught by His church with the unity of the spirit and obedience of faith! Jude 1:3 Matt 28:19
One shepherd & on flock!
Jn 10:16

Scripture challenge!

Show me from or in “the Bible alone”?

1) a list (not contents) of the Ten Commandments.

2) what things is Lk 1:49 referring to.

3) what Christ commanded his apostles in Matt 28:20

4) a list of scripture (books chapters) in scripture?

Not in Bible not important
Acts 8 the eunuch had scripture, God sent an apostle to teach him!
Lk 3:2 the word of God came unto John in the wilderness, a book did not fall out of the sky!
Jn 21:25 many more things than those in scripture!
2 Jn 1:12 the apostle in person makes their joy complete not scripture!

Essential doctrine:
Some doctrines are necessary and some are not is error, it is unlawful and forbidden to reject a truth revealed by God, who can neither deceive or be deceived.

Examples of oral tradition! (Teaching)

Peter speaks at Pentecost acts 2
Paul speaks at Athens acts
Even Christ teaching the divine revelation to His apostles in person.

WHEN???

When did it become divine revelation?
When did it become the inspired word of God?

When it was Spoken by Christ to His apostles?

When it was taught by the apostles?

When it was Written down decades latter?

When it was canonized by the supreme Roman pontiff in 381?

When did it become the inspired word of God?

If only when written down (Bible alone) then when it was spoken it should have been rejected as mere human tradition or the tradition of men, and therefore they would not possess the truths revealed by God and could not write scripture!

If you believe the false doctrine of the “Bible alone is the only authority” then you must reject the authority of Christ and His apostles!

It is an error to believe that the office or authority of the apostles ended with the apostle John and public revelation, revelation was complete with the apostle John but the teaching authority or office of the apostles must continue till the return of Jesus Christ! Matt 28:19-20 I am with you (the apostles) unto the end of the world.

Tongues of fire at Pentecost represent the light of divine Truth and the fire of divine Love!

The apostles possessed the Authority of Jesus Christ and the power of the Holy Spirit in their persons! Acts 1:8 2 Jn 1:12

Questions about the doctrine of the “Bible alone” or the “Bible is our only authority”?

How can we know what is scripture?

How can we know what is not scripture?

How can we safeguard and protect scripture from errors?

Who has authority to teach scripture without error?

Where does scripture say: “the Bible alone”?

Why does scripture support tradition? The teaching authority of the apostles?

Who has authority to Authentically interpret scripture?

Where does it say the word of God is limited to the “Bible alone”?

Why does scripture teach the authority of Christ in His church in the persons of the apostles?
AKA The Apostolic Tradition (teaching)

The problem with the “Bible alone”!

You can easily see why the false doctrine of the “Bible alone” causes so many problems and why we can simply ignor creeds, councils, dogma, and decrees of the holy apostles teaching infallibility with the authority of Christ!

“Bible alone” is false doctrine
Negates the word of God, apostolic councils, creeds, cannons, decrees, dogma, and the teaching authority of the apostles!

The false doctrine of “the Bible Alone” is an attack on Christ and His holy church!
Christ and his church are one acts 9:4
To reject the church or church teaching is to reject Christ!

An attack on the holy church and her divine authority!

Even Christ who is the truth itself is excluded!

verses that refer to authority other than the “Bible Alone” our of your Bible!

Isa 22:21-22 Mt 16:18 Mt 28:19 Lk 1:32 Lk 10:16 Jn 8:32 Jn 13:20 Jn 15:5 Jn 16:13 Jn 20:21-22 Jn 21:17 Acts 1:17 acts 1:26 acts 2:42 acts 8:31 & 35 acts 20:28 eph 2:20 and too many more to mention!

The Bible alone is based on spiritual pride, self-righteous private judgement, and personal interpretation, and not truth revealed by God in Christ without error, thru the teaching authority of the apostles!

Spiritual Fathers!

Heb 13:7 Remember them which have the rule over you, who have spoken unto you the word of God: whose faith follow, considering the end of their conversation.

Heb 13:17 Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves: for they care for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you.

1 Tim 1:2 Unto Timothy, my own son in the faith: Grace, mercy, and peace, from God our Father and Jesus Christ our Lord.

Gal 4:19 My little children, of whom I travail in birth again until Christ be formed in you

1 John 2
My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not.

Where does the Bible say there is any authority to write scripture?

The word of God is not limited to scripture!

Christ is supreme!
Christ possesses all authority!

Scripture is not supreme, alone, or sufficient!

Christ and His church He founded on Peter, the apostles, and their successors are one!

Christ shares His teaching authority with His apostles!

The church must teach the truth!

Only Christ has authority to found a church, only Christ builds His one true church!

The apostles have the authority of Christ over all the church and all the kingdoms of the world!

Revealed by scripture? No

Luke 2:26
And it was revealed unto him by the Holy Ghost, that he should not see death, before he had seen the Lord's Christ.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why do Catholics adore, worship and deify Mary so much?
OP ^

Centuries of generational indoctrination.

It is embarrassing to admit a family has a long history of being duped.
Little do they know, admiration for their courage to seek and stand for the truth, would supersede long standing error.

Reactions: Jim B

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sola Scriptura!
The doctrine of the “Bible alone” or the “Bible is the only source of authority”

The Bible alone is Gods commanded and approved source for verification of what you are told.

No body cares if you believe every word of some guy that you call your holy father or Joe Blow blabbing in a microphone.

Why do you care if others verify what they hear with Scripture?

Can you answer that?

Reactions: Jim B

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
How was He rejecting His mother?
Jim B is lying.
48 But he answered and said unto him that told him, Who is my mother? and who are my brethren?

49 And he stretched forth his hand towards his disciples, and said, Behold, my mother and my brethren!

50 For whosoever shall do the will of my Father who is in heaven, he is my brother, and sister, and mother.

Anti-Mary Christians are forced to argue that Jesus' mother did not do the will of God, and she is not a model for all of us, which the point of this quote. Anti-Mary Christians are uncomfortable with the undeniable truth that she is blessed. Instead, they profess man made diabolical traditions about Jesus' mother invented in the 18th century. Anti-Mary Christians busy themselves in covering up what their own reformers taught about the BLESSED VIRGIN MARY.

All of the early Protestant Founders accepted the truth of the Perpetual Virginity of Mary. How could this be, if it is merely “tradition” with no scriptural basis? Why was its supposed violation of Scripture not so obvious to them, as it is to the Protestants of the last 150 years or so (since the onset of theological liberalism) who have ditched this previously-held opinion? Yet it has become fashionable to believe that Jesus had blood brothers (I suspect, because this contradicts Catholic teaching), contrary to the original consensus of the early Protestants.

Let’s see what the Founders of Protestantism taught about this doctrine. If Catholics are so entrenched in what has been described as “silly,” “desperate,” “obviously false,” “unbiblical tradition” here, then so are many Protestant luminaries such as Luther, Calvin, and Wesley. Strangely enough, however, current-day Protestant critics of Catholicism rarely aim criticism at them. I guess the same “errors” are egregious to a different degree, depending on who accepts and promulgates them—sort of like the Orwellian proverb from Animal Farm: “all people are equal, but some are more equal than others.”

Read more: https://www.catholicfidelity.com/apologetics-topics/mary/early-protestants-on-the-perpetual-virginty-of-mary-by-dave-armstrong/

Modernist Protestants of today cover up (protest) what their own reformers taught about Mary, making them true Protestants.

Again, this thread title is sick and makes a mockery of the rules.

Last edited:

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
FYI, here is an interesting news item...

After three and a half year-long battle, the Santa Fe Archdiocese has settled a lawsuit with over 300 survivors who have claimed sexual abuse as children at the hands of clergy members within the diocese.

The church has liquidated assets to fund its bankruptcy plan and compensation for victims.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How was He rejecting His mother?

Matthew 12:46-50, "While Jesus was still speaking to the crowds, his mother [Mary] and brothers came and stood outside, asking to speak to him. Someone told him, “Look, your mother and your brothers are standing outside wanting to speak to you.” To the one who had said this, Jesus replied, “Who is my mother and who are my brothers?” And pointing toward his disciples he said, “Here are my mother and my brothers! For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother.”

So instead of acknowledging Mary as His mother, He indicated that others were his true mother and brothers (spiritually). He didn't point at His birth mother. He made a clear distinction between his natural family, into which He was born, and His (true) family of believers.