Why Do People Believe In This?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Paul Christensen

Mar 2, 2020
Christchurch
www.personal-communication.org.nz
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Are you trying to (in your view) save my soul?

If so, then it's about ENTERLY about me and my beliefs. Something you keep overlooking completely. If you want try to save my soul, then you need to talk to me and listen to my beliefs. Not lecture on what you think "Mormons" believe (cause that's not remotely accurate). You must listen, not lecture. And yes, I keep trying to focus on Christ, and keep ignoring me and going off on a million other tangents. It is beyond disrespectful and frustrating.

And again, if your definition of "Christian" - "Protestant Christians whom confesses sola scirptura and a bunch of other doctrines you choose", then I don't match that definition. And never will be because I passionately disagree with sola scirptura, so let's both skip wasteful talking if that's the case.

Actually it's not remotely a doctrinal standard book, and in fact has some problem with it. I already said that (and was promptly ignored).

No, you're still ignoring me.
I can't save anyone's soul. Not my role. I can only share the gospel of Christ as I see it. Whether others believe or not is not under my control. Evangelism is not about power and control over others. Bible-bashing people into submission is not genuine evangelism. Evangelism is about witnessing about who Jesus Christ is, showing the way to salvation in Christ, and testifying about what Christ has done for us.

Therefore, evangelism and witnessing for Christ is not proselytizing individuals to a church, nor is to persuading people to leave a church to join up with a "better" one.

I see Christ as a totally separate Person from any church. The church means nothing more than a place to fellowship with other Christians and to learn more of Christ. The church has no authority over people (although some churches think they have). The only authority that Christ has passed on the Christians is authority over sickness, disease, and demons. He has never given anyone authority to demand obedience to that person. Obedience to the gospel and to the commands of Christ is totally voluntary. God has no conscripts, only volunteers.

The problem with those who don't go along with sola scriptura is that because the Bible is very clear and straightforward about God's standards and commends, people don't want to comply, because they want to retain their self-will, and not comply with a God who requires of them.

They say, "Oh yes, I believe in Christ", but when the Christ of the Bible says, "No one can come to the Father but by Me" and that "Your righteousness must exceed the righteousness of the Pharisees", they say, "Oh that's sola scriptura, and I am against it". What they are really saying is that "I have my version of faith, and I'm not going to let the Bible get in the way of it."

Anyway before you reload your Colt 45, suggest to me a doctrinal book that is the current standard of the LDS church.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This came up in another topic and I wasn't sure where to put it so hopefully here's good since it's not from regular Christian doctrine and it isn't in the Bible. How do people believe that Jesus married Mary Magdalene and had children with her? Some people even claim to be descendants from them. Weird. I would just see it as incest of Christ marrying His own child and having children with them then. :/ (I wonder what His DNA looked like though.) @Grailhunter.

Well I think people think of a different Mary, not Mary mother of Jesus. Mary Magdelene, cast demons out of. But no, I believe the Bible is clear that Jesus never married or had kids.

Reactions: April_Rose

Paul Christensen

Mar 2, 2020
Christchurch
www.personal-communication.org.nz
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
All is good. I am sure she likes answering civil questions about her religion. Why else would she be here. Keep in mind that the gal has courage. She fields all challenges and I am sure she is use to some of this.
The thing is that the Protestants do not like secrets. So any religion or group that has a secretive side is going to draw fire from the Protestants. The humorous side of that is that the Bible tells of secrets in its history. Some point out that the Bible starts out with the secret knowledge of good and evil and ends with a book called Revelation...revealed knowledge.
I have always enjoyed exchanges with Jane, and she always gives me a run for my money. I wouldn't expect any less from her. I can give it back as much as I take it from her.

Reactions: Grailhunter

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can't save anyone's soul. Not my role. I can only share the gospel of Christ as I see it. Whether others believe or not is not under my control. Evangelism is not about power and control over others. Bible-bashing people into submission is not genuine evangelism. Evangelism is about witnessing about who Jesus Christ is, showing the way to salvation in Christ, and testifying about what Christ has done for us.

Therefore, evangelism and witnessing for Christ is not proselytizing individuals to a church, nor is to persuading people to leave a church to join up with a "better" one.

I see Christ as a totally separate Person from any church. The church means nothing more than a place to fellowship with other Christians and to learn more of Christ. The church has no authority over people (although some churches think they have). The only authority that Christ has passed on the Christians is authority over sickness, disease, and demons. He has never given anyone authority to demand obedience to that person. Obedience to the gospel and to the commands of Christ is totally voluntary. God has no conscripts, only volunteers.

The problem with those who don't go along with sola scriptura is that because the Bible is very clear and straightforward about God's standards and commends, people don't want to comply, because they want to retain their self-will, and not comply with a God who requires of them.

They say, "Oh yes, I believe in Christ", but when the Christ of the Bible says, "No one can come to the Father but by Me" and that "Your righteousness must exceed the righteousness of the Pharisees", they say, "Oh that's sola scriptura, and I am against it". What they are really saying is that "I have my version of faith, and I'm not going to let the Bible get in the way of it."

Anyway before you reload your Colt 45, suggest to me a doctrinal book that is the current standard of the LDS church.
This was slightly better.

Always please focus on Christ and it Bible-bashing or other lecturing.

Doctrinal sources link (the scriptures, form LDS Christian view):
Old Testament
New Testament
Book of Mormon
Doctrine and Covenants
Pearl of Great Price

Now, is a person not being sola scriptura a flat out deal breaker for you?

Last edited:

Grunt Hemlock

Feb 25, 2021
WACO
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't know that any of them are, since it is not really Wesley's creation, but thought up by Albert Outler in the sixties as his view of what Wesley WOULD HAVE SAID - but it differs from Sola Scriptura

Jane - I was Anto9us at another board, where it was illegal to say that Mormons were Christians

I always wanted to know if Kolob was a planet or a star

Grunt Hemlock

Feb 25, 2021
WACO
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sylvia Browne, a psychic who passed away a few years ago, pushed this "Jesus and Mary Magdalene had kids" bit - said He survived the Cross, they went to France and Jesus lived to be 86.

Sylvia had a familiar spirit named Francine - who told her a lot of stuff.

She wrote a book - THE TWO MARYS (like - His mother and his wife - an amalgam of Merovingian Gnostic mishmash). It was way out there.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't know that any of them are, since it is not really Wesley's creation, but thought up by Albert Outler in the sixties as his view of what Wesley WOULD HAVE SAID - but it differs from Sola Scriptura

Jane - I was Anto9us at another board, where it was illegal to say that Mormons were Christians

I always wanted to know if Kolob was a planet or a star
Hello again. I remember you :)

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You didn't last long there, April_Rose.
I was there from 2013 til last year.

Did you see me there? Yeah I was banned because of my conservative views. I know it, they know it, and they can go ahead and kiss my butt for all I care. (I'm talking about the website in general and quite a few members of the staff as a lot of good members from there are now here also. :) )

Grunt Hemlock

Feb 25, 2021
WACO
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can't remember, A_R, if I ever saw you there - I was always getting in trouble there for "flaming Calvinists" and one day the axe just fell. I may have seen you briefly there before my banning.

I am still on other boards as DancesWithGnostics and Episcopius.

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can't remember, A_R, if I ever saw you there - I was always getting in trouble there for "flaming Calvinists" and one day the axe just fell. I may have seen you briefly there before my banning.

I am still on other boards as DancesWithGnostics and Episcopius.

And you're telling me this now!? I know you!! :D You were on christianforums.net too and I was HeIsRisen2018. :D

Grunt Hemlock

Feb 25, 2021
WACO
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You were on christianforums.net too and I was HeIsRisen2018.
Yep - Risen - I haven't been there in a long time to ChristianForums.Net - but I can still get there.
.com - can't get there

Jane - did they ever get Moroni's trumpet put back on? I remember when it fell off during a storm...

- Grunt Hemlock, Anto9us, Habakkuk3, Episcopius, DancesWithGnostics, Mahmoud Mohammed Algahari, et al

Grunt Hemlock

Feb 25, 2021
WACO
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We now return you to our topic of Mary Magdalene and Jesus getting married, having kids, and going to France.
Which did not happen, of course...

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah same with me, I don't really go on CF.net anymore.