Why do some old people live so long ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Grams

Jul 11, 2017
brown city
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am now 84.....
My family all passed away in there 70's !
I would love to be in heaven now .

I was not saved as a catholic ,,,,, but when some of my family turned to just a bible
church, I got saved........ and right away I wanted to go home.
What a blessed feeling this was and is of course.

I have a friend that I brought to the catholic church when we were young.
and she still is. And it seems like she is not saved.
And does not want to talk about this.

As I was when I was catholic also. I always felt like no matter what I was going
to the bad place..... back then............ even after going to confession.
It seems like now maybe some are teaching and telling you to read the bible.......
Which they did not have us do when I was there......... up to my 50's.
I asked my friend if she was, I write to her by mail only..
and I had family read her answer,,, and they said it does not sound like she is saved.

And now I have not heard from her in 2 weeks. She does not use the computer
So no help there........
Any ideas ?????????????? Thanks for any idea's !!!!

Reactions: Nancy

Grams

Jul 11, 2017
brown city
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One other thing !!!!!! I asked her if she reads the bible.......!!!

She said she does not have one , And does not want one..........

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One other thing !!!!!! I asked her if she reads the bible.......!!!

She said she does not have one , And does not want one..........

Hi Grams!
I also come from Catholicism. And...I know many of them as, I live in South Buffalo...there is a CC and a bar on every corner, lol...yes, it's very Irish here. I also know of many who ARE saved... IMHO. (one is a very close friend)
All you need do is to pray, pray and pray some-more for your friends eyes to be opened. Ask God to give her a strong hunger and thirst to know HIS Truth a bit more each day...and that He would soften her heart and open her spiritual eyes so as to see, really see! And, to have a heart to accept His Truth ♥
Just my 2 pence!
I hope you are feeling well Grams. I know like can sometimes be very lonely. Then, if we have Jesus then, we have ALL we need ♥
xoxo

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Why do some old people live so long ?
Why not?
And if you delete "old" then the answer is plain. God gives them a longer life so that they can do more good to others. Think of Moses and then you will say "I'm just a spring chicken".:)

Dan57

Sep 25, 2012
Illinois
Faith
Country
United States
Many Catholics don't make reading the bible a priority because they rely on the church for salvation. Their faith is in the RCC & Pope, they confess to a Priest, so forgiveness and absolution is granted through them. When your convinced that the church is your intermediary and not Christ, you rely on the church to intercede on your behave, whereby, salvation comes through your loyalty to the church instead of Christ.

There's no rhyme or reason for how long we live, maybe you just lead a healthier life? But whatever the duration, we just run the course assigned to us and hope we can contribute in some small way to His purpose. When your alive in Christ, your never old, just inconvenienced by an aging body ;)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Many Catholics don't make reading the bible a priority because they rely on the church for salvation. Their faith is in the RCC & Pope, they confess to a Priest, so forgiveness and absolution is granted through them. When your convinced that the church is your intermediary and not Christ, you rely on the church to intercede on your behave, whereby, salvation comes through your loyalty to the church instead of Christ.

There's no rhyme or reason for how long we live, maybe you just lead a healthier life? But whatever the duration, we just run the course assigned to us and hope we can contribute in some small way to His purpose. When your alive in Christ, your never old, just inconvenienced by an aging body ;)
The Lord Jesus said: "Thy word is truth" (John 17.17).

The Psalmist said: "Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path."

B

Butterfly

I am a bit confused by the title of this thread Grams , as the thread seems to talk about salvation rather than age !
I think the desire to be with the Lord is not always an age thing, much depends on where you are in life, what you face, what you have ect.
I am not sure I want to get into the ' Catholic ' debate , but I agree with Nancy, only God can open a persons ' spiritual eyes and ears ' to hear and see what is need, and this is the case for anyone who we care about, whether saved or unsaved as we can still be partially deaf and blind even when we are saved.
I must admit I don't like judging or evaluating where someone is before the Lord, I believed many things wrongly when I was a younger Christian- I still had faith and trust in the Lord Jesus - but listened to what was preached rather than ' test ' it for myself - thankfully that changed !
Rita

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I am a bit confused by the title of this thread Grams , as the thread seems to talk about salvation rather than age !
I think the desire to be with the Lord is not always an age thing, much depends on where you are in life, what you face, what you have ect.
I am not sure I want to get into the ' Catholic ' debate , but I agree with Nancy, only God can open a persons ' spiritual eyes and ears ' to hear and see what is need, and this is the case for anyone who we care about, whether saved or unsaved as we can still be partially deaf and blind even when we are saved.
I must admit I don't like judging or evaluating where someone is before the Lord, I believed many things wrongly when I was a younger Christian- I still had faith and trust in the Lord Jesus - but listened to what was preached rather than ' test ' it for myself - thankfully that changed !
Rita
Sometimes threads develop, don't they...? :)

B

Butterfly

Yes, very true- but the thread title asks a question, so I presumed it was about ' why do people live long lives ' it wasn't meant to come across in a critical way, more of a curious observation.
I wondered if Grams wanted to say more, but got sidetracked by her friends situation X
Rita

Reactions: Nancy and farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Yes, very true- but the thread title asks a question, so I presumed it was about ' why do people live long lives ' it wasn't meant to come across in a critical way, more of a curious observation.
I wondered if Grams wanted to say more, but got sidetracked by her friends situation X
Rita
Grams is a dear contributor; I think she enters into the spirit of discussions so enthusiastically... :)

B

Butterfly

Just for the record, Grams - I was curious , nothing more. Flat text can come across in the wrong way to some and read in the wrong way - so if you think it is a critisim , let me know and I will delete that part xx
This generation of elderly people are living longer - I have a theory that it's because we know more medically, but also because you had to come through the Second World War. You are a strong generation. I think the age range will go down as we now have so much rubbish in food and within the environment. I would suspect that you ate a lot of natural food, and it was before they started spraying it all with chemicals - but theories are no more than opinions , so what do I know !!
Rita

Grams

Jul 11, 2017
brown city
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just for the record, Grams - I was curious , nothing more. Flat text can come across in the wrong way to some and read in the wrong way - so if you think it is a critisim , let me know and I will delete that part xx
This generation of elderly people are living longer - I have a theory that it's because we know more medically, but also because you had to come through the Second World War. You are a strong generation. I think the age range will go down as we now have so much rubbish in food and within the environment. I would suspect that you ate a lot of natural food, and it was before they started spraying it all with chemicals - but theories are no more than opinions , so what do I know !!
Rita

I guess it is my age ???
I start talking about one thing and it connects to some thing else.
I figured I am here to speak to my friend????
But, as I was catholic [ I brought her to my church back as children ] I was catholic till my 50's.
and got saved at that time "my 50's". And so did my family! And I can not seem to get to my
friend what the church is missing on salvation.......

Reactions: Butterfly

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rita

Grams is lonely, much of the time and, does not get to go to her Church often as she does not always get a ride. She's tired and lonely...she want's to go home. I have a friend who ALSO wants to "go home", she is only 69 but, she does not have her right mind anymore and knows that but has dug such a deep hole of denial for a good 7 years now and, she is not always nice to those around her in the assisted living place :(
I wished Grams lived close to one of us, I'd take her to Church every Sunday and visit her regular! God Bless You Grams!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

During my active Catholic years [I never missed if I could help it] I never owned a Bible and none of my Catholic friends did. The CC made some changes with Vatican II but by that time I only a nominal Catholic never attending mass anymore.

@Grams
There was one man in scripture who asked to live longer and his request was granted with 15 more years. Probably he should not have asked for that. [King Hezekiah... see II Kings 20]

Grams

Jul 11, 2017
brown city
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you NANCY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amadeus, I wanted to go home in my 50's when I got saved......
What a big difference I felt ! Belief and know GOD and JESUS and knowing what GOD and
JESUS did for us !!!!! WOW !!!!!! I feel so BLESSED.........!

Reactions: amadeus and Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
During my active Catholic years [I never missed if I could help it] I never owned a Bible and none of my Catholic friends did. The CC made some changes with Vatican II but by that time I only a nominal Catholic never attending mass anymore.

@Grams
There was one man in scripture who asked to live longer and his request was granted with 15 more years. Probably he should not have asked for that. [King Hezekiah... see II Kings 20]

Yes...we must be careful what we ask of Him, lol.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you NANCY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amadeus, I wanted to go home in my 50's when I got saved......
What a big difference I felt ! Belief and know GOD and JESUS and knowing what GOD and
JESUS did for us !!!!! WOW !!!!!! I feel so BLESSED.........!
Dear sister, be always ready but don't be in a hurry. It will God's time rather than ours. My pastor will 94 years old this month and he has plans for three trips for certain between now and September. I can only make one of myself and I am a youngster of only 75 years.

"O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt" Matt 26:39

"Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us" Heb 12:1

"Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content" Phil 4:11

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Dear sister, be always ready but don't be in a hurry. It will God's time rather than ours. My pastor will 94 years old this month and he has plans for three trips for certain between now and September. I can only make one of myself and I am a youngster of only 75 years.

"O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt" Matt 26:39

"Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us" Heb 12:1

"Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content" Phil 4:11
He is still bearing fruit in old age... :)

Reactions: amadeus

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Rita
Yes, those of the older generation went through a lot; and often came through stronger, character-wise, because of what they endured.