Why do some people not like the idea of OSAS?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In James 2:14, we read of one who says/claims he has faith but has no works (to evidence his claim). That is not genuine faith, but a bare profession of faith. So when James asks, "Can that faith save him?" he is saying nothing against genuine faith, but only against an empty profession of faith/dead faith. So James does not teach that we are saved "by" works. His concern is to show the reality of the faith professed by the individual (James 2:18) and demonstrate that the faith claimed (James 2:14) by the individual is genuine. Simple!

We show our faith by our works. Show, not establish. Big difference.
Well said.

/

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Exactly right. Works-salvationists have this backwards. They have the tail wagging the dog, the cart before the horse.
its the old I must make myself clean.

While you may be able to make yourself clean on the outside by washing with soap and water. you can not make yourself clean on the inside.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Exactly right. Works-salvationists have this backwards. They have the tail wagging the dog, the cart before the horse.
Remind the all inclusive love generation of that one . Cause it hollers all religions serve GOD
and all they need is this so called love stuff . That aint love and it sure aint coming from GOD either .
So allow me some parting words . He who does not recieve the testimony GOD gave of HIS SON
JESUS is the CHRIST , ye must believe , THEY CALLING GOD a liar .
Lets not fall for the ruse muslims and others worship the same GOD we do .
Lets not fall for the ruse of the abrahamic faith accords .
Cause the last time i checked ABRAHAM DID have TRUE FAITH . HE actually BELIEVED , BELIEVED GOD .
THEY DONT , they reject the testimony GOD gave OF HIS SON . THAT AINT BELIEVING GOD now IS IT
Rather its calling GOD a liar . AND THIS ABRAHAM DID NOT DO . GOTTA POINT TO JESUS CHRIST , the DIRE NEED
to BELIEVE ON HIM . All else is calling GOD a liar . We dont really want to call GOD a liar ................................do we ..........

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
its the old I must make myself clean.

While you may be able to make yourself clean on the outside by washing with soap and water. you can not make yourself clean on the inside.
But there is ONE and ONLY ONE who can wash us clean . That BE JESUS CHRIST . Let all that has breath praise the glorious LORD

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
In John 15:2-6, the branches that bear fruit and remain are genuine believers (like the remaining 11 disciples). The self-attached branches that bear no fruit and do not remain are not genuine believers (like Judas Iscariot). In John 15:2, Jesus mentions branches that bear no fruit and branches that bear fruit but Jesus says nothing about branches that bear fruit but then later stop bearing fruit.

Greek scholar AT Robertson points out that there are two kinds of connections with Christ as the vine (the merely cosmic which bears no fruit, the spiritual and vital which bears fruit). Probably (Bernard) Jesus here refers to Judas.

When Jesus spoke these words in John 15, how many people at that time, prior to Him being glorified, had received the Holy Spirit and were baptized by one Spirit into one body? - "the body of Christ?" (1 Corinthians 12:13) -- NONE.

John 7:38 - He who believes in Me, as the Scripture has said, out of his heart will flow rivers of living water. 39 But this He spoke concerning the Spirit, whom those believing in Him would receive; for the Holy Spirit was not yet given, because Jesus was not yet glorified.

So "in me" is part of the metaphor of the vine (in the vine) and not in the body of Christ under the new covenant which was not yet fully established.
Without that vital union with Christ, there can be no spiritual life and no productivity. Those who profess to know Christ but whose relationship to Him is self-attached, Christ neither saved them, nor sustains them. Eventually, the dead self-attached fruitless branches are cut off.

In regard to John 8:34, the present active participle, continuous habit or practice, not aorist active participle for single act.

Jesus is not a NOSAS guy.... otherwise He would not have said:

John 6:37 - All that the Father gives Me will come to Me, and the one who comes to Me I will certainly not cast out. 38 For I have come down from heaven, not to do My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me. 39 This is the will of Him who sent Me, that of all that He has given Me I lose nothing but raise it up on the last day.

John 10:27 - My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me; 28 and I give eternal life to them, and they will never perish; and no one will snatch them out of My hand. 29 My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father’s hand.
This is food to my spirit.....Praise God for this Brother, who stands on the Living word of God....it’s the Holy Spirit that indwells him...his word is mighty powerful as we can see and read on this post!!

This sheep certainly recognises the True, Living Word of God.....Thank you Father God!!

Only your word reigns supreme..a Name Above all NAMES!!!...

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Many folks do profess to believe . But do they BELIEVE .
Many can cliam to believe in GOD but seem not to BELIEVE GOD .
Bad news for that soul . Abraham HE DID BELIEVE GOD . GOD SAID , ABRAHAM BELIEVED, ABRAHAM DID.
So why do many give false religoins a pass who obviously DONT BELEIVE GOD

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I agree.
Good works are the RESULT of a renewed relationship with God, not the CAUSE.
Or the "fruit" as you aptly described it. As in the fruit of the Spirit, which has the sense of ripe harvested fruit.
By the bushel full.

Visited an apple orchard this month. Met the harvester on the way to walk through the orchard.
He encouraged us to stuff our pockets full of apples. There were so many he had no idea how he would get rid of them all.
And the trees in his orchard were heavy with fruit yet to be picked.

/
Excellent.....in Jesus Name....Amen!!!

Reactions: Eternally Grateful

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Many folks do profess to believe . But do they BELIEVE .
Many can cliam to believe in GOD but seem not to BELIEVE GOD .
Bad news for that soul . Abraham HE DID BELIEVE GOD . GOD SAID , ABRAHAM BELIEVED, ABRAHAM DID.
So why do many give false religoins a pass who obviously DONT BELEIVE GOD
There is saying " I believe", brother and then there is living like one really believes every word God has spoken !

Just as Abraham believed and it was counted to him for righteousness, so too must we.

I recently heard a man speak about True Conversion & False Conversion, and why many lay claim to something they never counted the cost of to themselves, nor the price Jesus paid!

• Love
Reactions: amigo de christo

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is saying " I believe", brother and then there is living like one really believes every word God has spoken !

Just as Abraham believed and it was counted to him for righteousness, so too must we.

I recently heard a man speak about True Conversion & False Conversion, and why many lay claim to something they never counted the cost of to themselves, nor the price Jesus paid!
Paul agrees with you :)

Romans 4: 16 Therefore it is of faith that it might be according to grace, so that the promise might be sure to all the seed, not only to those who are of the law, but also to those who are of the faith of Abraham, who is the father of us all 17 (as it is written, “I have made you a father of many nations”) in the presence of Him whom he believed—God, who gives life to the dead and calls those things which do not exist as though they did; 18 who, contrary to hope, in hope believed, so that he became the father of many nations, according to what was spoken, “So shall your descendants be.” 19 And not being weak in faith, he did not consider his own body, already dead (since he was about a hundred years old), and the deadness of Sarah’s womb. 20 He did not waver at the promise of God through unbelief, but was strengthened in faith, giving glory to God, 21 and being fully convinced that what He had promised He was also able to perform. 22 And therefore “it was accounted to him for righteousness.”

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Seems like every time I see the word "true" in a post, it is a yellow flag to indicate something is terribly wrong.
Now we have "True Conversion & False Conversion" measured by whether one "counted the cost". (sigh) ???
Seriously?

But, I suppose it could be an observation about the fear tactics used by the church to get "converts".
Believe, or burn. Spiritual extortion. Available at a church near you. (for your convenience)

/

Reactions: Lambano

Godslittleservant

Aug 28, 2023
Kansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But there is ONE and ONLY ONE who can wash us clean . That BE JESUS CHRIST . Let all that has breath praise the glorious LORD
Another one of those thought that come to me as I lie in bed trying to go to sleep

2 Kings 5:1-14

1 Now Naaman, captain of the host of the king of Syria, was a great man with his master, and honourable, because by him the Lord had given deliverance unto Syria: he was also a mighty man in valour, but he was a leper.

2 And the Syrians had gone out by companies, and had brought away captive out of the land of Israel a little maid; and she waited on Naaman's wife.

3 And she said unto her mistress, Would God my lord were with the prophet that is in Samaria! for he would recover him of his leprosy.

4 And one went in, and told his lord, saying, Thus and thus said the maid that is of the land of Israel.

5 And the king of Syria said, Go to, go, and I will send a letter unto the king of Israel. And he departed, and took with him ten talents of silver, and six thousand pieces of gold, and ten changes of raiment.

6 And he brought the letter to the king of Israel, saying, Now when this letter is come unto thee, behold, I have therewith sent Naaman my servant to thee, that thou mayest recover him of his leprosy.

7 And it came to pass, when the king of Israel had read the letter, that he rent his clothes, and said, Am I God, to kill and to make alive, that this man doth send unto me to recover a man of his leprosy? wherefore consider, I pray you, and see how he seeketh a quarrel against me.

8 And it was so, when Elisha the man of God had heard that the king of Israel had rent his clothes, that he sent to the king, saying, Wherefore hast thou rent thy clothes? let him come now to me, and he shall know that there is a prophet in Israel.

9 So Naaman came with his horses and with his chariot, and stood at the door of the house of Elisha.

10 And Elisha sent a messenger unto him, saying, Go and wash in Jordan seven times, and thy flesh shall come again to thee, and thou shalt be clean.

11 But Naaman was wroth, and went away, and said, Behold, I thought, He will surely come out to me, and stand, and call on the name of the Lord his God, and strike his hand over the place, and recover the leper.

12 Are not Abana and Pharpar, rivers of Damascus, better than all the waters of Israel? may I not wash in them, and be clean? So he turned and went away in a rage.

13 And his servants came near, and spake unto him, and said, My father, if the prophet had bid thee do some great thing, wouldest thou not have done it? how much rather then, when he saith to thee, Wash, and be clean?

14 Then went he down, and dipped himself seven times in Jordan, according to the saying of the man of God: and his flesh came again like unto the flesh of a little child, and he was clean.

Here is a lesson for modern day times

We read of this leper who sent for a healing but was told he had to come before the prophet to be told what he must do. When he was told to dip seven times in the river Jordan he refused saying it should be of his thinking that surely come out to me, and stand, and call on the name of the Lord his God, and strike his hand over the place, and recover the leper or at least use Abana and Pharpar, rivers of Damascus, but no it had to be the way God said he would do it.

The leper had to obey the plan God said not to change it but submit not until he submitted to God"s way was he cleansed of his leprosy. It was not another way no matter what he thought was best but it only worked in the manner in which God said he would cleanse him. It was not the water that cleansed him but the obedience to God's word that cleansed him. Sometimes God uses material means to bring his blessing through in this case is was the river Jordan he chose to work his cleansing through.

Now lets fast forward to today. God says Repent and be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins and you shall receive the gift of the holy ghost. Now do we do as Naaman and say no that can't be right I am going to believe in all that Christ did and it does not include the baptism in his name that is a work of man not grace. There is no way God could use the water in baptism to wash away our sin.That is crazy baptismal regeneration that men teach and is not biblical. Even though Mark 16:16 says he that believes and is baptized shall be saved that is not what Jesus meant because there is no way baptism in the name of Christ can wash away sin I just do not see it so it cannot be. Even though Acts 2:38 says that baptism in the name of Jesus Christ is for the remission of sin and giving the spirit that can not be because God would not in my view use water to cleanse us from dead in sin to alive in Christ. Even though Romans 6 says that is exactly what God does it can't be talking about the baptism in Christ name because God would never use water as an instrument to bring about his will.

Now who is doing the work God or man??

atpollard

Jun 30, 2019
Port Richey, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Remind the all inclusive love generation of that one . Cause it hollers all religions serve GOD
and all they need is this so called love stuff . That aint love and it sure aint coming from GOD either .
So allow me some parting words . He who does not recieve the testimony GOD gave of HIS SON
JESUS is the CHRIST , ye must believe , THEY CALLING GOD a liar .
Lets not fall for the ruse muslims and others worship the same GOD we do .
Lets not fall for the ruse of the abrahamic faith accords .
Cause the last time i checked ABRAHAM DID have TRUE FAITH . HE actually BELIEVED , BELIEVED GOD .
THEY DONT , they reject the testimony GOD gave OF HIS SON . THAT AINT BELIEVING GOD now IS IT
Rather its calling GOD a liar . AND THIS ABRAHAM DID NOT DO . GOTTA POINT TO JESUS CHRIST , the DIRE NEED
to BELIEVE ON HIM . All else is calling GOD a liar . We dont really want to call GOD a liar ................................do we ..........

Neglecting so great a Salvation:

For this reason we must pay much closer attention to what we have heard, so that we do not drift away from it. For if the word spoken through angels proved unalterable, and every violation and act of disobedience received a just punishment, how will we escape if we neglect so great a salvation? After it was at first spoken through the Lord, it was confirmed to us by those who heard, God also testifying with them, both by signs and wonders, and by various miracles and by gifts of the Holy Spirit according to His own will.
- Hebrews 2:1-4 [NASB]​

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Seems like every time I see the word "true" in a post, it is a yellow flag to indicate something is terribly wrong.
Now we have "True Conversion & False Conversion" measured by whether one "counted the cost". (sigh) ???
Seriously?

But, I suppose it could be an observation about the fear tactics used by the church to get "converts".
Believe, or burn. Spiritual extortion. Available at a church near you. (for your convenience)

/
I think it is more like who has true saving faith. and who does not.

we are saved by Grace through faith.. If one does nto have that true faith.. grace will not help them.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Only God can increase our Faith......thank you Father God for increasing my Faith...You are 100% true to you Living Word!!.

2 Peter 3:18

18 But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and forever! Amen.
Read ChapterAll Versions

Hebrews 6:1

1 Therefore let us move beyond the elementary teachings about Christ and be taken forward to maturity, not laying again the foundation of repentance from acts that lead to death, and of faith in God,
Read ChapterAll Versions

Jeremiah 12:2

2 You have planted them, and they have taken root; they grow and bear fruit. You are always on their lips but far from their hearts.
Read ChapterAll Versions

Luke 17:5

5 The apostles said to the Lord, “Increase our faith!”
Read ChapterAll Versions

Luke 8:14-15

14 The seed that fell among thorns stands for those who hear, but as they go on their way they are choked by life’s worries, riches and pleasures, and they do not mature.
15 But the seed on good soil stands for those with a noble and good heart, who hear the word, retain it, and by persevering produce a crop.

• Love

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Luke 17
Berean Standard Bible Par ▾
Temptations and Trespasses
(Matthew 18:6–9; Mark 9:42–48)
1Jesus said to His disciples, “It is inevitable that stumbling blocks will come, but woe to the one through whom they come! 2It would be better for him to have a millstone hung around his neck and to be thrown into the sea than to cause one of these little ones to stumble.
3Watch yourselves. If your brother sins, rebuke him; and if he repents, forgive him.4Even if he sins against you seven times in a day, and seven times returns to say, ‘I repent,’ you must forgive him.”
The Power of Faith
(Matthew 17:19–20)
5The apostles said to the Lord, “Increase our faith!”
6And the Lord answered, “If you have faith the size of a mustard seed, you can say to this mulberry tree, ‘Be uprooted and planted in the sea,’ and it will obey you.
7Which of you whose servant comes in from plowing or shepherding in the field will say to him, ‘Come at once and sit down to eat’? 8Instead, won’t he tell him, ‘Prepare my meal and dress yourself to serve me while I eat and drink; and afterward you may eat and drink’? 9Does he thank the servant because he did what he was told? 10So you also, when you have done everything commanded of you, should say, ‘We are unworthy servants; we have only done our duty.’ ”

Godslittleservant

Aug 28, 2023
Kansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Only God can increase our Faith......thank you Father God for increasing my Faith...You are 100% true to you Living Word!!.
This is so true sister but we must let him and not get all hung up on ourselves

• Love
Reactions: Ritajanice

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In regard to Naaman, if being healed from leprosy is an illustration of salvation by water baptism (being immersed 7 times in the Jordan river) we have another case that reveals one can be saved without any water. *Read about it in (Luke 5:12-15). *No water is found here.

Naaman was not even a believer until "after" dipping in Jordan. He said "NOW" (after being healed) I know that there is no God in all the earth, but in Israel," (2 Kings 5:15) and vowed to worship only Him (verse 17). If we follow this "example," we will have to baptize unbelievers!

Naaman received cleansing from leprosy (not eternal life) after he dipped in the Jordan 7 times, but no sins were literally remitted for Naaman in Jordan. Likewise, water baptism does not literally remit sins.

The NT uses the experience of Naaman as illustrative of the SOVEREIGNTY OF GOD, not of salvation by works/water baptism. Naaman was a heathen, not a believer, and did not know God until the miracle occurred.

The purpose of the miracle had nothing to do with salvation by works, but was to demonstrate "there is a prophet in Israel" (2 Kings 5:8) and that "there is no God in all the earth, but in Israel," as Naaman found out. (2 Kings 5:15)

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
In regard to Naaman, if being healed from leprosy is an illustration of salvation by water baptism (being immersed 7 times in the Jordan river) we have another case that reveals one can be saved without any water. *Read about it in (Luke 5:12-15). *No water is found here.

Naaman was not even a believer until "after" dipping in Jordan. He said "NOW" (after being healed) I know that there is no God in all the earth, but in Israel," (2 Kings 5:15) and vowed to worship only Him (verse 17). If we follow this "example," we will have to baptize unbelievers!

Naaman received cleansing from leprosy (not eternal life) after he dipped in the Jordan 7 times, but no sins were literally remitted for Naaman in Jordan. Likewise, water baptism does not literally remit sins.

The NT uses the experience of Naaman as illustrative of the SOVEREIGNTY OF GOD, not of salvation by works/water baptism. Naaman was a heathen, not a believer, and did not know God until the miracle occurred.

The purpose of the miracle had nothing to do with salvation by works, but was to demonstrate "there is a prophet in Israel" (2 Kings 5:8) and that "there is no God in all the earth, but in Israel," as Naaman found out. (2 Kings 5:15)
God’s using you today, Brother!!!...Praise His Holy Name!!

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 10:17 KJV: So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Reactions: atpollard