Why do some people not like the idea of OSAS?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know some people like to pass judgments on others that confess to be sinners. This thread is not about that. And I often wonder why people fight the OSAS idea. I also don't believe in OSAS, but I believe in a version that allows for God to save people if he desires.

John 10:28 And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand. 29 My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of My Father’s hand. 30 I and My Father are one.”

I think no one, the devil or man, can snatch God's people out of his hand. But they can reject God by free choice. Let's pray for the sinners that they are given power to overcome sin as well. As God only promotes righteousness in his word.

I'm reminded of the words of Jesus regarding people that would be jealous of God saving sinners:

Luke 18:9 Also He spoke this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others: 10 “Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11 The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, ‘God, I thank You that I am not like other men—extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this tax collector. 12 I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I possess.’ 13 And the tax collector, standing afar off, would not so much as raise his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, ‘God, be merciful to me a sinner!’ 14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.”

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I used to believe OSAS and hyper-grace. It made my walk with God sloppy and I couldnt get over certain sin strongholds.

It wasnt till my life was in shambles that I read the Bible for myself and realized OSAS was a complete myth that directly contradicts the teachings of Jesus and the disciples.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And consider this verse and what it means. I think he is calling us corrupt:

1 Corinthians 15:50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; nor does corruption inherit incorruption. 51 Behold, I tell you a mystery: We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed—

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I often wonder why people fight the OSAS idea

Because... it's false doctrine in light of the whole counsel of God.

For one to hold the OSAS position they have to focus on a few happy verses and ignore the whole counsel of God.

I read the Bible for myself and realized OSAS was a complete myth that directly contradicts the teachings of Jesus and the disciples.

Glad to hear you are on the right track! :woohoo!:

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Everyone has a different salvation experience. The bible doesn't contain the experience of many. Such as the intensity of the Holy Spirit. In my case, God chose me, I didn't choose Him. I'm filled with the Holy Spirit and beyond description. God gave me spiritual gifts, again I didn't ask for, but I'm grateful my name is in His book of life. I trust and obey what my Savior says. I know I'm secure with eternal life because Jesus told me so.

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God chose me

Actually... God chose everyone!

But, only few answer His call to get born again, turn away from their sin to come abide in Him.

The Father sovereignly decided to make man in His own Image which is why all men have free will. He said in His Word than we are predestined to be conformed to the image of Jesus Christ (Romans 8:29), and we are to be followers of God as dear children (Ephesians 5:1)

God's Word says man is without excuse (Romans 1:20), the grace that brings salvation has come upon all men (Titus 2:11-13)

God's Word says it's not God's will that any perish and He wants all to come to repentance (2 Peter 3:9), and He has commanded men everywhere to repent (Acts 17:30)

Jesus said if He be lifted up He would draw all men until Himself (John 12:32), and Jesus has tasted of death for every man (Hebrews 2:9)

In light of all these scriptures, we can say for sure that limited atonement taught by John Calvin is false doctrine and is in opposition to what God says.

Romans 8:29,30
For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.
Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.

Ephesians 5:1
Be ye therefore followers of God, as dear children

Romans 1:19-21
Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.
For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.

Titus 2:11,12
For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,
Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;

2 Peter 3:9
The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

Acts 17:30
And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:

John 12:32
And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me.

Hebrews 2:9
But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I feel so sorry for that horse. And the flies.

Simply put?
Those opposed don't know The Word saved us irrevocably through grace alone and for eternity. And sealed that covenant with his blood to make it count!

It is as simple and blessed truth, as that.

However, people led by egocentric cults to believe they are always in deficit and always worthless, don't believe that. Certainly, they're unworthy and have to fear all their lives and hope they earn their way. While insisting they're not worth it.

While Jesus thought we were worth dying for.

And so it is, for them.

And being our Father is Omniscient and predestined all, it is as God wills. No argument will change his works in and for us.

Last edited:

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually... God chose everyone!

But, only few answer His call to get born again, turn away from their sin to come abide in Him.

The Father sovereignly decided to make man in His own Image which is why all men have free will. He said in His Word than we are predestined to be conformed to the image of Jesus Christ (Romans 8:29), and we are to be followers of God as dear children (Ephesians 5:1)

God's Word says man is without excuse (Romans 1:20), the grace that brings salvation has come upon all men (Titus 2:11-13)

God's Word says it's not God's will that any perish and He wants all to come to repentance (2 Peter 3:9), and He has commanded men everywhere to repent (Acts 17:30)

Jesus said if He be lifted up He would draw all men until Himself (John 12:32), and Jesus has tasted of death for every man (Hebrews 2:9)

In light of all these scriptures, we can say for sure that limited atonement taught by John Calvin is false doctrine and is in opposition to what God says.

Romans 8:29,30
For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.
Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.

Ephesians 5:1
Be ye therefore followers of God, as dear children

Romans 1:19-21
Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.
For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.

Titus 2:11,12
For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,
Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;

2 Peter 3:9
The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

Acts 17:30
And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:

John 12:32
And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me.

Hebrews 2:9
But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.
I'd like to know how God chose you. Jesus touched me, and chose me, no prayers nothing. That what I call chosen. I agree with every scripture you posted. Like I said, everyone has a different salvation experience.

Reactions: Debp and St. SteVen

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'd like to know how God chose you. Jesus touched me, and chose me, no prayers nothing. That what I call chosen. I agree with every scripture you posted. Like I said, everyone has a different salvation experience.

If you did not confess Jesus as your Lord with your mouth and believe in your heart that God raised Jesus from the dead for your justification having turned away from your sin... they you have not been born again.

God has come upon ALL people and has chosen All for salvation as Jesus paid for them to be saved... but, they have to actually get born again before they are saved.

Reactions: Marymog

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Like I said somethings are not in the bible. Have you met a demon like I have?

Every thing God wants mankind to know... is in His written Word.

And yes, I used to be demon possessed by in my youth having grown up in the 70s and 80s where the mantra was if it feels good do it, and if you like it do it some more!

Been there, done that including being homeless.

Now, the devil tries to come at me, I know how to put the hurt on him and run him off... FORCE him to leave!

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Every thing God wants mankind to know... is in His written Word.

And yes, I used to be demon possessed by in my youth having grown up in the 70s and 80s where the mantra was if it feels good do it, and if you like it do it some more!

Been there, done that including being homeless.

Now, the devil tries to come at me, I know how to put the hurt on him and run him off... FORCE him to leave!
That's good to know. We have been in the battle ground together then.

Reactions: WalterandDebbie

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yep, I can remember times when the Lord protected me even when I did not deserve it, like having guns pulled on me 6 different times.

Like the old southern rock song says... "I'm telling you son, Well, it ain't no fun Staring straight down a forty-four"

Yeah I spent a few years fighting for control of my own soul... and sadly the Christians I encountered were of no help because they didn't know the power is in God's Word!

James 4:7
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

What a lot of people don't know is the definition of Resist the devil IS submitting yourself to the Lord... humbling one's self under His Mighty Hand, which is His Word.

This is another reason I feel sorry for the OSAS peoples cause the don't accept the whole counsel of God so 'ol slewfoot be laughing at them knowing he ain't got to go nowhere!

atpollard

Jun 30, 2019
Port Richey, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Once Saved Always Saved (OSAS).

"Everyone the Father gives me will come to me, and the one who comes to me I will never cast out. For I have come down from heaven, not to do my own will, but the will of him who sent me. This is the will of him who sent me: that I should lose none of those he has given me but should raise them up on the last day. For this is the will of my Father: that everyone who sees the Son and believes in him will have eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day."
- John 6:37-40 [CSB]​
  • So is this verse TRUE or FALSE? Did Jesus LIE?
  • Will Jesus “never cast out”?
  • Is it the will of the Father that Jesus “should lose none of those that [God] has given [Jesus]”?
  • Is it the will of the Father that Jesus “should raise [the saved] up on the last day”?
  • Is it the will of the Father that [the saved] “will have eternal life”?
  • Is it the will of the Father that Jesus “will raise [the saved] up on the last day”?
  • Will the WILL of GOD be done?

How then, are those “saved” ever later “lost” without thwarting the WILL OF GOD and making Jesus a LIAR?

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did Jesus lie when He told the Holy Ghost to tell the Apostle Paul... to write this???

Galatians 6:7-8
Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.
For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting.

This is a major biblical truth the OSAS crowd always explains away or denies is simply this... God is NOT mocked, what we sow is what we reap - if we sow to the flesh we shall of the flesh reap corruption. (Gal 6:7,8)

In Gal 6:8, the word corruption is...

G5356
fthora from G5351; decay, i.e. ruin -- corruption, destroy, perish.
G5351
strengthened from phthio (to pine or waste); properly, to shrivel or wither, i.e. to spoil or to ruin, by moral influences, to deprave): -- corrupt (self), defile, destroy.

If one claims we DO reap corruption when we sin, then they are admitting they do not believe OSAS / Eternal security doctrine (and sadly many of their friends will forsake them!).... and if one claims we DO NOT reap what we sow, then according to Gal 6:7, that would be mocking God!

Adam and Eve were given eternal life by the Lord when He created them... but when they sinned against God they became corrupt and died spiritually and became separated from God. So Gal 6:7,8 is quite the quandary, quite the state of uncertainty and perplexity for the adherents of OSAS doctrine.

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Once Saved Always Saved (OSAS).

"Everyone the Father gives me will come to me, and the one who comes to me I will never cast out. For I have come down from heaven, not to do my own will, but the will of him who sent me. This is the will of him who sent me: that I should lose none of those he has given me but should raise them up on the last day. For this is the will of my Father: that everyone who sees the Son and believes in him will have eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day."
- John 6:37-40 [CSB]​
  • So is this verse TRUE or FALSE? Did Jesus LIE?
  • Will Jesus “never cast out”?
  • Is it the will of the Father that Jesus “should lose none of those that [God] has given [Jesus]”?
  • Is it the will of the Father that Jesus “should raise [the saved] up on the last day”?
  • Is it the will of the Father that [the saved] “will have eternal life”?
  • Is it the will of the Father that Jesus “will raise [the saved] up on the last day”?
  • Will the WILL of GOD be done?

How then, are those “saved” ever later “lost” without thwarting the WILL OF GOD and making Jesus a LIAR? (Maybe that is the true intent if their messaging?- BP)
good-morning.gif

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And of course OSAS is a stumbling block to many who think they can go ahead and live in sin and still be saved and go to Heaven because they are continually being taught it's not possible for one to lose their salvation.

I've talked to people back in my partying days that believed this. Really sad that OSAS doctrine causes so many to stumble and fall way from the Lord while thinking it's all good they'll still go to Heaven and maybe not have as big of a mansion as everyone or something

Godslittleservant

Aug 28, 2023
Kansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here is my understanding of the subject.
The teaching of some on OSAS is not correctly taught. There are too many scriptures that teach one can fall from grace.
But there are just as many scriptures that teach we can have assurance of salvation as well.We are saved and promised eternal life if we walk in the newness of life walk in the light walk in the spirit.
We have the promise that God will never leave us but we can walk away from God he does not want robots but wants us to love him as he has loved us. WE have a choice to walk by his side or to leave to the old life of sin and walk in darkness it is our will which we chose.

So yes we can be OSAS AS long as we walk with the Lord and do his good will. His yoke is easy and his burden is light and the reward is extremely a delight.

Reactions: WalterandDebbie

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
As a Born Again....I believe OSAS....but, it does NOT give us a licence to Sin.

NO SIR....we have been birthed in the Spirit..therefore our learning and teaching comes from the Holy Spirit....we are being made into Jesus....we aren’t instantly made in Jesus image.....

It takes time to understand what the flesh is, also to walk in the Holy Spirit....

1 Peter 1:23
Audio Crossref Comment Greek
Verse (Click for Chapter)
New International Version
For you have been born again, not of perishable seed, but of imperishable, through the living and enduring word of God.

New Living Translation
For you have been born again, but not to a life that will quickly end. Your new life will last forever because it comes from the eternal, living word of God.

English Standard Version
since you have been born again, not of perishable seed but of imperishable, through the living and abiding word of God;

Berean Standard Bible
For you have been born again, not of perishable seed, but of imperishable, through the living and enduring word of God.

Berean Literal Bible
having been born again, not of perishable seed, but of imperishable, by the living and abiding word of God,

King James Bible
Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.

Last edited: