Why do the self taught preach an incomplete gospel?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Faither

Jul 28, 2019
Usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh? So this Scripture is incorrect then?
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life" (John 3:16).

That's correct! Now your getting it!
The word believes is a mistranslation of the Greek word pisteuo.

Pisteuo is the corresponding verb to the noun Pistis, where we get our English word Faith. But the English language doesn't have a corresponding verb to the noun Faith like the Greek does for the noun Pistis.

The words that should have been available to the translators are faithe, faither, and faithing. But they weren't, so they had to find another word to translate pisteuo. They couldn't have known that in choosing the words believe, believer, and believing, they would inadvertently change to object of saving Faith to God's word, instead of God Himself, a real living person!

The Strong's gives us a disclaimer.
" Pisteuo means NOT just to believe!"

To correct In 3:16, just take the word " believe" , and rlce it with the correct definition of pisteuo.

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that who so ever surrenders their life to Him and lives a life inspired by such surrender shall not perish but inherit eternal life.

Paul Christensen

Mar 2, 2020
Christchurch
www.personal-communication.org.nz
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
That's correct! Now your getting it!
The word believes is a mistranslation of the Greek word pisteuo.

Pisteuo is the corresponding verb to the noun Pistis, where we get our English word Faith. But the English language doesn't have a corresponding verb to the noun Faith like the Greek does for the noun Pistis.

The words that should have been available to the translators are faithe, faither, and faithing. But they weren't, so they had to find another word to translate pisteuo. They couldn't have known that in choosing the words believe, believer, and believing, they would inadvertently change to object of saving Faith to God's word, instead of God Himself, a real living person!

The Strong's gives us a disclaimer.
" Pisteuo means NOT just to believe!"

To correct In 3:16, just take the word " believe" , and rlce it with the correct definition of pisteuo.

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that who so ever surrenders their life to Him and lives a life inspired by such surrender shall not perish but inherit eternal life.
But the Scripture doesn't say that at all. You are reading things into the verse that are not there.

Believing in Christ is putting full trust in His finished work on Calvary and acting on His promise, "Come unto Me all who are weary and heavy laden and I will give you rest". And "He who comes to Me, I will in no wise cast out."

Faither

Jul 28, 2019
Usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But the Scripture doesn't say that at all. You are reading things into the verse that are not there.

Believing in Christ is putting full trust in His finished work on Calvary and acting on His promise, "Come unto Me all who are weary and heavy laden and I will give you rest". And "He who comes to Me, I will in no wise cast out."

It says exactly that in the Greek texts!

Faither

Jul 28, 2019
Usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

We come to Him by Faith, by pisteuo, by a Continually surrendered life!

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
We come to Him by Faith, by pisteuo, by a Continually surrendered life!
Please quote specific Scriptures since you seem to be confused in the above statement. Justification by grace through faith is a one-time event.

Reactions: mailmandan

Faither

Jul 28, 2019
Usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The woman knew her life was filthy rags. She wasn't trying to fulfill God's law by one good work. She genuinely offered her life in the state she was in, and Christ elevated that act of Faith to the same level as His work on the Cross. That is what God is looking for, Faith like that!

Paul Christensen

Mar 2, 2020
Christchurch
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
The woman knew her life was filthy rags. She wasn't trying to fulfill God's law by one good work. She genuinely offered her life in the state she was in, and Christ elevated that act of Faith to the same level as His work on the Cross. That is what God is looking for, Faith like that!
That is exactly what James says - faith without appropriate actions to demonstrate it, is dead.

Faither

Jul 28, 2019
Usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Define your view of a continually surrendered life.

Pisteuo or the application of Faith towards the living God is defined in the Vines Greek dictionary as " a personal surrender to Him and a life inspired by such surrender." That is not my opinion.

With that said, I could share my understanding and experience of how that definition is fulfilled in the NT salvation process .

Is that what your asking?

Faither

Jul 28, 2019
Usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't mind explaining it paul, let me know and we'll discuss it tomorrow. Lots to share!

Faither

Jul 28, 2019
Usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Please quote specific Scriptures since you seem to be confused in the above statement. Justification by grace through faith is a one-time event.

That understanding (a one time event) is the fruit of the mistranslated words believe, believer, and believing.

Paul Christensen

Mar 2, 2020
Christchurch
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Not a big fan of Jamesl But a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.
Jesus spoke through James in the Person of the Holy Spirit just the same as He spoke through Paul, so what James said is inspired Scripture just as if Jesus is speaking in Person. So if you say you are not a fan of James, then you may be saying that you are not a fan of the Holy Spirit representing Jesus who inspired him.

Faither

Jul 28, 2019
Usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus spoke through James in the Person of the Holy Spirit just the same as He spoke through Paul, so what James said is inspired Scripture just as if Jesus is speaking in Person. So if you say you are not a fan of James, then you may be saying that you are not a fan of the Holy Spirit representing Jesus who inspired him.

Don't get crazy Paul. Many think James should not even be in the Bible, I lean that way.

So what about the correct salvation process. You in or out ?

Paul Christensen

Mar 2, 2020
Christchurch
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Don't get crazy Paul. Many think James should not even be in the Bible, I lean that way.

So what about the correct salvation process. You in or out ?
What's this "don't get crazy?" Too late! I already am! When I joined an Anglican church in the late 1970s the curate told me that in three weeks I would be as crazy as the rest of them, and it happened, and it never went away!

The salvation process as I see it:
1. Accept that we are hopeless sinners, rebels against God and deserving of hell.
2. Believe that Jesus died on the cross to take upon Himself the penalty of our sin and to give us His righteousness as a free gift.
3. Believe that He rose again to give us eternity life and to assure us that as He rose from the dead, we will rise in the same way when the day comes.
4. Receive Christ as Saviour and Lord.
5. Start seeking God with all our heart for the Holy Spirit to do the transforming work of conversion in our hearts and to witness to our spirit that we are really the children of God and no longer condemned (according to Paul in Romans).
6. Work at demonstrating through our actions that we truly have faith in Christ and that He is really our Saviour and Lord (according to James).

Faither

Jul 28, 2019
Usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What's this "don't get crazy?" Too late! I already am! When I joined an Anglican church in the late 1970s the curate told me that in three weeks I would be as crazy as the rest of them, and it happened, and it never went away!

The salvation process as I see it:
1. Accept that we are hopeless sinners, rebels against God and deserving of hell.
2. Believe that Jesus died on the cross to take upon Himself the penalty of our sin and to give us His righteousness as a free gift.
3. Believe that He rose again to give us eternity life and to assure us that as He rose from the dead, we will rise in the same way when the day comes.
4. Receive Christ as Saviour and Lord.
5. Start seeking God with all our heart for the Holy Spirit to do the transforming work of conversion in our hearts and to witness to our spirit that we are really the children of God and no longer condemned (according to Paul in Romans).
6. Work at demonstrating through our actions that we truly have faith in Christ and that He is really our Saviour and Lord (according to James).

I know what your understanding is, it's the same as everyone elses in here. You asked the right question, do you want the answer?

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amen! It's common for works-salvationists to confuse the one-time event of justification with the process of ongoing sanctification. The end result is "performance based" works salvation.

Reactions: Enoch111

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well why don't you start by presenting us with the TRUE GOSPEL? As presented in the Bible.
Amen! The TRUE GOSPEL of the death, burial and resurrection of Christ (1 Corinthians 15:1-4) which is the power of God unto salvation to everyone that BELIEVES.. (Romans 1:16) which the apostle Paul received through a revelation of Jesus Christ. (Galatians 1:11-12) Beware of false teachers who "add works" to the gospel! (Galatians 1:6-9)

Faither

Jul 28, 2019
Usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amen! The TRUE GOSPEL of the death, burial and resurrection of Christ (1 Corinthians 15:1-4) which is the power of God unto salvation to everyone that BELIEVES.. (Romans 1:16) which the apostle Paul received through a revelation of Jesus Christ. (Galatians 1:11-12) Beware of false teachers who "add works" to the gospel! (Galatians 1:6-9)

Why is your false " believe and recieve" understanding exempt from your " works salvation?

You " choose " to believe, and then engage your will to follow that belief.

No different than a surrendered life followed by that belief.

No work intended to try and fulfill the law here, which we can attempt to do if we wanted to. I wouldn't advise that, but God gives us the choice to faithe into what we desire.

You desire to faithe into God's word by believing in God's word, your choice! I desire to faithe into God Himself, a real living person, my choice!

The English language supports your stance on the mistranslated words believe, believer, and believing. My stance is supported by the Greek language and their Greek language experts, lexicons, dictionarys, Stanford University theological props.