Why do they hate being called Christians

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
all this is bad enough but not as bad as what is worse but totally ignored as if of no consequence or consideration and it is found as at Matt 18:6 and widespread in and by Protestants more so than by Catholics but no doubt at first by Catholics - Jesus said fear him/them who interfere with the body but fear him/them even more who interfere with the mind and soul - and so we have the great falling away by the young in droves and division, divergence, differences, disputes ,confusion and
chaos and much worse also - please consider this seriously and take action against the culprits - twinc

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
twinc said:
all this is bad enough but not as bad as what is worse but totally ignored as if of no consequence or consideration and it is found as at Matt 18:6 and widespread in and by Protestants more so than by Catholics but no doubt at first by Catholics - Jesus said fear him/them who interfere with the body but fear him/them even more who interfere with the mind and soul - and so we have the great falling away by the young in droves and division, divergence, differences, disputes ,confusion and
chaos and much worse also - please consider this seriously and take action against the culprits - twinc
I have absolutely NO idea what you're saying.

Where did you learn to write?? There is no sentence structure or proper grammar.
It's just a jumbled collection of unrelated words

If you have a point - please rewrite your thoughts in a coherent manner.

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
BreadOfLife said:
WRONG.
I've already illustrated with documented evidence that the Catholic Church goes all the way back to the Apostles.
YOU, on the other hand have YET to show me that "aggressiveschristianity.com" goes back any further than 1980.

Jesus equated himself with His Church (Acts 9:4-5) - not the little "Generals" of your online cult . . .

As for Protestant Christians, you're right. they ARE my brothers and sisters in Christ.
Sadly, though, they have chosen to be separated brethren.
BoL,

When you talk about the Catholic Church, are you referring to the Roman Catholic Church?

Oz

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OzSpen said:
BoL,

When you talk about the Catholic Church, are you referring to the Roman Catholic Church?

Oz
There is only the Catholic Church.
Officially, there is no such thing as the "Roman Catholic Church."

What other Catholic Church are you talking about?

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Its funny, when I was younger and had to fil out official documents, he yused to have a section where you indicated your religion, I always used to chech teh RC - Roman Catholic box. I am sure some of you older folk would remember that.

a link

The Catholic Development Fund (CDF) is a division of the Roman Catholic Church Trust Corporation of the Archdiocese of Hobart. It is committed to complying with its obligations under

http://www.cdftas.com/privacy.html

as for the true church, which isnt actually a church, complete mistranslation of teh word, since it is not made by mens hands, from brick and mortar. has no spiers nor catherdals, no windows no altars

Act 17:24 God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands;
Act 17:25 Neither is worshipped with men's hands, as though he needed any thing, seeing he giveth to all life, and breath, and all things;

bit is made up of

1Pe 2:4 To whom coming, as unto a living stone, disallowed indeed of men, but chosen of God, and precious,
1Pe 2:5 Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ.

living people who love teh Lord and have given themsleves to Him, from all walks of life and from everynation, with Christ as there head.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
mjrhealth said:
Its funny, when I was younger and had to fil out official documents, he yused to have a section where you indicated your religion, I always used to chech teh RC - Roman Catholic box. I am sure some of you older folk would remember that.

a link

The Catholic Development Fund (CDF) is a division of the Roman Catholic Church Trust Corporation of the Archdiocese of Hobart. It is committed to complying with its obligations under

http://www.cdftas.com/privacy.html

as for the true church, which isnt actually a church, complete mistranslation of teh word, since it is not made by mens hands, from brick and mortar. has no spiers nor catherdals, no windows no altars

Act 17:24 God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands;
Act 17:25 Neither is worshipped with men's hands, as though he needed any thing, seeing he giveth to all life, and breath, and all things;

bit is made up of

1Pe 2:4 To whom coming, as unto a living stone, disallowed indeed of men, but chosen of God, and precious,
1Pe 2:5 Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ.

living people who love teh Lord and have given themsleves to Him, from all walks of life and from everynation, with Christ as there head.
Uh-huh - and "Roman" refers to the RITE of Catholicism, NOT the name.
It is actually the LATIN Rite, which is sometimes called "Roman".

There are 20 Rites of the Catholic Church that are ALL in communion with the Pope, such as the Melkite Rite, Byzantine Rite, Coptic Rite, Alexandrian Rite and so on.

A little hint:
LEARN about what you're going to debate BEFORE you debate it.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
mjrhealth said:
What you want more,

ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH TRUST PROPERTY ACT 1936 - SECT 4
Trustees to be bodies corporate
4 Trustees to be bodies corporate
http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/consol_act/rcctpa1936413/s4.html

Popes of the Roman Catholic Church
http://www.catholic.org/pope/

want more, You should look before you leap
The term "Roman Catholic Church" was first applied to the Catholic Church based in Rome during Henry VIII's England.
He broke away from the church and called HIS sect, "The Catholic Church of England" and the Church based in Rome, "The Roman Catholic Church."

The official title of the Catholic Church is - "The Catholic Church" - and that's it.
YOUR insistence that it is the "Roman Catholic Church" or Stranger's idiotic moniker of the "Roman Church" are incorrect.

Do your homework.
It's embarrassing watching the two of you spew such ignorant nonsense . . .

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Spo what you are saying is teh catholic church doesnt know who it is nor its roots and is divided in itself??? Ignorant no. I was born and raised a Roman Catholic, it is what teh governments of teh world recognised as a religion. As i said beofre it was teh church based in rome than it took on teh authority "stolen" from Rome and became the Roman Catholic Church. It is what it is,

Enjoy the rest of teh Sun God day.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
BreadOfLife said:
The term "Roman Catholic Church" was first applied to the Catholic Church based in Rome during Henry VIII's England.
He broke away from the church and called HIS sect, "The Catholic Church of England" and the Church based in Rome, "The Roman Catholic Church."

The official title of the Catholic Church is - "The Catholic Church" - and that's it.
YOUR insistence that it is the "Roman Catholic Church" or Stranger's idiotic moniker of the "Roman Church" are incorrect.

Do your homework.
The problem I have is that there is a pretty prominent Catholic Church about 4 miles from where I live. I say "prominent" because I live in Marland. The first Catholic U.S. colony and its about 20 miles from Baltimore. The sign in front of that church says, "Roman Catholic Church". Its not a rare thing. I an google and find signs all over the U.S. and find the same thing.

So the bishops, the arch bishops, the partitioners and the community overall don't have a problem withe the term "Roman Catholic" but you do.

Why?

Well, I suspect the answer is that you know about the filth of Rome. I am not saying the filth of the Roman Catholic Church (not yet). But the reputation of Rome as a totally debatched and polytheistic society.

On this and other message boatds, folks tend to point out the "Christenizing" of these things into the Roman Catholic Church; right or wrong. They do. While you deny it, you realize that the allegations are indeed wrong. So you are trying to distance yourself and your Church from such things.

I want to make it clear BOL, I am not speaking to you directly. You are not the first on this board or overall. I was in this same conversation in other message boards 10 years ago.

So again the question is why do discussion board Catholics object when their own Churches don't have a problem with the term?

The only plausible answer is the emphasis on the term "Roman". They don't like being associated with Pagan Rome. And they haven't figured out that they could proudly claim that title.

Who started the Church at Rome? Well, I believe it was grass roots but Paul was the one who organized and eztablished it. If you want to believe Peter did. .. Fine. I disagree, but it isn't important. That it was at some point started around 55 BC and flourished it.

I will add that today's RDC is a very vague similarity to what Paul and Peter intended. That is not a topic I am getting into at this point. But that is what is a more fruitful discussion.

So... Their is the Roman Catholic Church. That Church calls itself that and the Bishops, Pope and Priests don't seem to have a problem with the title. Only iternet folks do when they are confronted and brow-beatened with the term. And its to their shame they don't hold to their roots. But its also noted that they deny any source of pagan practices. I don't always believe it. But its a shame that they deny false doctrine and no one accepts that they at least believe they are doing right. Its automatically assumed they accept they have pagan practices and are ok with it.

Nonethess, beyond this discussion on this particular thread and the very portion of it, I have bigger issues to discuss. If the Catholics on this board don't want me to refer to their Church as "Roman", I won't.

I would rather talk doctrine than titles. So if they don't want to be called Romanists or Roman Cathica, I will appease them. But I will come by all means question their doctrine.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
FHII said:
The problem I have is that there is a pretty prominent Catholic Church about 4 miles from where I live. I say "prominent" because I live in Marland. The first Catholic U.S. colony and its about 20 miles from Baltimore. The sign in front of that church says, "Roman Catholic Church". Its not a rare thing. I an google and find signs all over the U.S. and find the same thing.

So the bishops, the arch bishops, the partitioners and the community overall don't have a problem withe the term "Roman Catholic" but you do.

Why?

Well, I suspect the answer is that you know about the filth of Rome. I am not saying the filth of the Roman Catholic Church (not yet). But the reputation of Rome as a totally debatched and polytheistic society.

On this and other message boatds, folks tend to point out the "Christenizing" of these things into the Roman Catholic Church; right or wrong. They do. While you deny it, you realize that the allegations are indeed wrong. So you are trying to distance yourself and your Church from such things.

I want to make it clear BOL, I am not speaking to you directly. You are not the first on this board or overall. I was in this same conversation in other message boards 10 years ago.

So again the question is why do discussion board Catholics object when their own Churches don't have a problem with the term?

The only plausible answer is the emphasis on the term "Roman". They don't like being associated with Pagan Rome. And they haven't figured out that they could proudly claim that title.

Who started the Church at Rome? Well, I believe it was grass roots but Paul was the one who organized and eztablished it. If you want to believe Peter did. .. Fine. I disagree, but it isn't important. That it was at some point started around 55 BC and flourished it.

I will add that today's RDC is a very vague similarity to what Paul and Peter intended. That is not a topic I am getting into at this point. But that is what is a more fruitful discussion.

So... Their is the Roman Catholic Church. That Church calls itself that and the Bishops, Pope and Priests don't seem to have a problem with the title. Only iternet folks do when they are confronted and brow-beatened with the term. And its to their shame they don't hold to their roots. But its also noted that they deny any source of pagan practices. I don't always believe it. But its a shame that they deny false doctrine and no one accepts that they at least believe they are doing right. Its automatically assumed they accept they have pagan practices and are ok with it.

Nonethess, beyond this discussion on this particular thread and the very portion of it, I have bigger issues to discuss. If the Catholics on this board don't want me to refer to their Church as "Roman", I won't.

I would rather talk doctrine than titles. So if they don't want to be called Romanists or Roman Cathica, I will appease them. But I will come by all means question their doctrine.
AGAIN - it says "Roman" Catholic church in front to let people know if the RITE, which is Latin (Roman).
There's a church down the street from my house that says "Melkite Catholic Church". Melkite is one of 20 RITES, as I have explained, ad nauseam to deaf ears.

I have no problem with the term "Roman Catholic" - if you are referring to the RITE. I do have a problem when ignorant anti-Catholics refer to the Catholic Church vs. the "Roman Catholic" Church - as if there is a difference.
That's like saying "ruler" or "measuring stick". It's the SAME thing.

This whole side-argument began in post #203, when OzSpen ignorantly asked:
"When you talk about the Catholic Church, are you referring to the Roman Catholic Church?"
There is only ONE.

I just find it astounding how quickly people are to argue a point publicly without having done their homework . . .

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
mjrhealth said:
Spo what you are saying is teh catholic church doesnt know who it is nor its roots and is divided in itself??? Ignorant no. I was born and raised a Roman Catholic, it is what teh governments of teh world recognised as a religion. As i said beofre it was teh church based in rome than it took on teh authority "stolen" from Rome and became the Roman Catholic Church. It is what it is,

Enjoy the rest of teh Sun God day.
And you enjoy your "aggressivechristianity.net" day with your unbiblical "Generals" . . .

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
And you enjoy your "aggressivechristianity.net" day with your unbiblical "Generals" . . .
You do love that website, spend much time there I pressume.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I always do my homework - unlike YOU.
His name is Jesus and in Him you will find the truth, He isnt far away if you just look. And obviuosy you didnt ... sorry dont. Know you can go back to your favourute website if it helps ..

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
So teh Roman catholic and teh catholic church are one and teh same thing. I didnt know....

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
mjrhealth said:
So teh Roman catholic and teh catholic church are one and teh same thing. I didnt know....
Actually - that's not true.
I've had this conversation on MANY threads that you have been a part of.

If you understood that there are 20 Rites that make up the Catholic Church - then you might stop referring to the "Roman" Catholic Church and simply say the "Catholic Church" when speaking of Catholicism.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Actually - that's not true.
But you just said it is

I am confused

The Catechism lists seven rites. These rites so listed: Latin, Byzantine, Alexandrian, Syriac, Armenian, Maronite, and Chaldean,2 are actually families of liturgical expression. These rites are the descendants of the liturgical practices that originated in centers of Rome, Antioch, and Alexandria. Each will be discussed in turn.

No RC included

source

http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/resources/liturgy/rites/the-rites-of-the-catholic-church/

what is it about "homework"

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
BreadOfLife said:
AGAIN - it says "Roman" Catholic church in front to let people know if the RITE, which is Latin (Roman).
There's a church down the street from my house that says "Melkite Catholic Church". Melkite is one of 20 RITES, as I have explained, ad nauseam to deaf ears.

I have no problem with the term "Roman Catholic" - if you are referring to the RITE. I do have a problem when ignorant anti-Catholics refer to the Catholic Church vs. the "Roman Catholic" Church - as if there is a difference.

This whole side-argument began in post #203, when OzSpen ignorantly asked:
"When you talk about the Catholic Church, are you referring to the Roman Catholic Church?"
There is only ONE.

I just find it astounding how quickly people are to argue a point publicly without having done their homework . . .
Fair enough answer.

I just spent about a half hour researching "rites". I went to wikipedia, EWTN, New Advent and a couple other places. I know... That isn't a lot of time to spend on such a complex topic.

Overall my synopsis is that each rite has their own traditions, their own style of worship, their own doctrinal modifications (meaning that they have small differences) and so forth. In other words, it sounds like denominationalism.

It seems there are certain doctrines and practices that are common to all. But there is leeway on many things. Perhaps too minor to fuss about.

What i found interesting is the article on New Advent. It flat out stated that the Roman Rite was immeasurably the most important. Seems like a pretty smug opinion.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
mjrhealth said:
But you just said it is

I am confused

The Catechism lists seven rites. These rites so listed: Latin, Byzantine, Alexandrian, Syriac, Armenian, Maronite, and Chaldean,2 are actually families of liturgical expression. These rites are the descendants of the liturgical practices that originated in centers of Rome, Antioch, and Alexandria. Each will be discussed in turn.

No RC included

source

http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/resources/liturgy/rites/the-rites-of-the-catholic-church/

what is it about "homework"
The Alexandrian and Byzantine are Groups or "Families" of Rites that include the Melkite, Ruthenian, Slovak, Ukranian, Coptic Abyssinian, etc.
Your list is incomplete.