Why do they hate being called Christians

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
FHII said:
Fair enough answer.

I just spent about a half hour researching "rites". I went to wikipedia, EWTN, New Advent and a couple other places. I know... That isn't a lot of time to spend on such a complex topic.

Overall my synopsis is that each rite has their own traditions, their own style of worship, their own doctrinal modifications (meaning that they have small differences) and so forth. In other words, it sounds like denominationalism.

It seems there are certain doctrines and practices that are common to all. But there is leeway on many things. Perhaps too minor to fuss about.

What i found interesting is the article on New Advent. It flat out stated that the Roman Rite was immeasurably the most important. Seems like a pretty smug opinion.
I don't think it's "smug" - it's just the Rite of the leadership of the Church.

As for Rites being "denominations" - that's not the case either because doctrinally, we're the same.
There are differences in discipline and traditions (small "T")

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
BreadOfLife said:
I don't think it's "smug" - it's just the Rite of the leadership of the Church.

As for Rites being "denominations" - that's not the case either because doctrinally, we're the same.
There are differences in discipline and traditions (small "T")
Thank you for the explanation.

It comes off smug to me, but perhaps it is with reason. Not that I agree with any form of Catholism, but Rome was the original "catholic" Church.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Yes even teh catholic church is divided in itself,

Mat 12:25 And Jesus knew their thoughts, and said unto them, Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand:

And they wonder why I wont join with mens religions.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
mjrhealth said:
Yes even teh catholic church is divided in itself,

Mat 12:25 And Jesus knew their thoughts, and said unto them, Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand:

And they wonder why I wont join with mens religions.
The Catholic Church is ONE.
Who told you it was divided??

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The Catholic Church is ONE.
Who told you it was divided??
You did, you claim to not be a Roman cathloic, while others do, you get offended when called a Roman cathoilc while others do not. its teh same church, what is it you said about rulers and tape meausres being teh same thing, that makes teh church divided, by rites, and traditions, even its doctrines, wont go into that one youll get mad again..

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
mjrhealth said:
You did, you claim to not be a Roman cathloic, while others do, you get offended when called a Roman cathoilc while others do not. its teh same church, what is it you said about rulers and tape meausres being teh same thing, that makes teh church divided, by rites, and traditions, even its doctrines, wont go into that one youll get mad again..
Apparently you don't know how to read - do ya?
I said that I don't mind if somebody identifies me as a "Roman" Catholic - as long as they understand that this refers to the RITE - not the Church.

Read S*L*O*W*E*R . . .

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It doesn't matter if am called a Roman Catholic, but I prefer to drop the "Roman", the prefix is not doctrinal. I am Catholic. Period.
"RCC" as a blanket term for all Catholics misses the point of various rites. "CC" for Catholic Church is easier to type and more accurate. Contrary to the babblings of ignorant psychotic anti-Catholics, a rite is not a denomination.

Christ, having been lifted up from the earth has drawn all men to Himself. Rising from the dead He sent His life–giving Spirit upon His disciples and through Him has established His Body which is the Church as the universal sacrament of salvation. Sitting at the right hand of the Father, He is continually active in the world that He might lead men to the Church and through it join them to Himself and that He might make them partakers of His glorious life by nourishing them with His own Body and Blood.
[Vatican Council II, Dogmatic Constitution on the Church Lumen gentium 48] (Christ is the Light of nations)

A Rite represents an ecclesiastical, or church, tradition about how the sacraments are to be celebrated. Each of the sacraments has at its core an essential nature which must be satisfied for the sacrament to be confected or realized. This essence – of matter, form and intention – derives from the divinely revealed nature of the particular sacrament. It cannot be changed by the Church. Scripture and Sacred Tradition, as interpreted by the Magisterium, tells us what is essential in each of the sacraments (2 Thes. 2:15).

When the apostles brought the Gospel to the major cultural centers of their day the essential elements of religious practice were inculturated into those cultures. This means that the essential elements were clothed in the symbols and trappings of the particular people, so that the rituals conveyed the desired spiritual meaning to that culture. In this way the Church becomes all things to all men that some might be saved (1 Cor. 9:22).
RITES OF THE CHURCH

"Christian is my name, and Catholic my surname. The one designates me, while the other makes me specific. Thus am I attested and set apart... When we are called Catholics it is by this appellation that our people are kept apart from any heretical name."
Saint Pacian of Barcelona, Letter to Sympronian, 375 A.D.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Christ, having been lifted up from the earth has drawn all men to Himself
Yes absolutly , but you wont finds many following Him, theyer mostly in church.And what has you churches doctrines got to do with God,

Mat 15:8 This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me.
Mat 15:9 But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

or

Mar 7:7 Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.
Mar 7:8 For laying aside the commandment of God, ye hold the tradition of men, as the washing of pots and cups: and many other such like things ye do.
Mar 7:9 And he said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition.
Mar 7:10 For Moses said, Honour thy father and thy mother; and, Whoso curseth father or mother, let him die the death:
Mar 7:11 But ye say, If a man shall say to his father or mother, It is Corban, that is to say, a gift, by whatsoever thou mightest be profited by me; he shall be free.
Mar 7:12 And ye suffer him no more to do ought for his father or his mother;
Mar 7:13 Making the word of God of none effect through your tradition, which ye have delivered: and many such like things do ye.

Just trying to justfy a religion like all teh rest do. Jesus is not a religion.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
mjrhealth said:
When does the "Roman Catholic Church" not mean what it says.??
When people refer to the "RCC" or the Roman Catholic Church, as if it is different from the Catholic Church.
It is the Catholic Church, made up of MANY Rites - all in FULL communion with each other.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have a question(s) for Catholics:

How important is this system of Rites? Is there a reason to have them? I mean, when a person from the Roman rite meets someone from Oriental rite, what do they discuss about their different rites?

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
FHII said:
I have a question(s) for Catholics:

How important is this system of Rites? Is there a reason to have them? I mean, when a person from the Roman rite meets someone from Oriental rite, what do they discuss about their different rites?
It's not a "system" of Rites.
They are largely cultural differences.

Many of the Rites were previously broken away from the Church and returned many centuries ago. They were allowed to keep their ancient cultural customs.

Heb 13:8

Nov 2, 2016
USA
BreadOfLife said:
When people refer to the "RCC" or the Roman Catholic Church, as if it is different from the Catholic Church.
It is the Catholic Church, made up of MANY Rites - all in FULL communion with each other.
Now I see why you deny the Rev 12 sign. Now it makes sense. John 3:3, Rom 10:9-10.

Nov 2, 2016
USA
BreadOfLife said:
The point is that there is only ONE Church created by Jesus - not 2 or 20 or 50,000.
There is ONE and ONLY one.
The church is His body. He didn't need to create anything. Being a part of the body is based on belief. :rolleyes:

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Heb 13:8 said:
The church is His body. He didn't need to create anything. Being a part of the body is based on belief. :rolleyes:
No - being part of the Body of Christ requires obedience:

- Being baptized (Matt. 28:19-20, John 3:5, Rom. 2:29, Rom. 6:1-11, Col. 2:12-17, 1 Peter 3:21)
- Picking up our cross daily to follow him (Matt. 16:24, Luke 9:23)
- Works of mercy and charity (Matt. 19:21, 25:31–46, Luke 18:22)
- Obeying his commandments (John 14:15, 15:10)
- Doing the will of the Father (Matt. 7:21, James 1:22)
- We must suffer with Christ (Matt. 10:38, 16:24, Mark 8:34, John 12:24, Rom. 8:17, 2 Cor. 1:5-7, Eph. 3:13, Phil. 1:29, 2 Tim. 1:8, 1 Peter 2:19-21, 4:1-2)
- Submitting to the Authority of His Church (Matt. 16:18-19, Matt. 18:15-18, Luke 10:16, John 16:12-15, John 20:21-23)

Reactions: Questor

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How's that obedience working for ya. Is it giving you eternal life right now?
YUP - if I endure to the end ([SIZE=10pt]Matt. 5:13, Matt. 7:21, Rom. 11:22, Heb. 10:26-27, 2 Peter 2:20-22, 2 Peter 3:17, Rev. 3:5, Rev. 22:19[/SIZE]).
Disobedience will only get you Hell . . .

Nov 2, 2016
USA
BreadOfLife said:
YUP - if I endure to the end ([SIZE=10pt]Matt. 5:13, Matt. 7:21, Rom. 11:22, Heb. 10:26-27, 2 Peter 2:20-22, 2 Peter 3:17, Rev. 3:5, Rev. 22:19[/SIZE]).
Disobedience will only get you Hell . . .
No I mean, do you have eternal life right now, today because of the shed blood of Jesus Christ. Do you have teh son?

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No I mean, do you have eternal life right now, today because of the shed blood of Jesus Christ. Do you have teh son?
Nobody has a guarantee unless they endure to the end in faith.
I have a moral certitude, provided I am faithful.

Reactions: Questor

Nov 2, 2016
USA
BreadOfLife said:
Nobody has a guarantee unless they endure to the end in faith.
I have a moral certitude, provided I am faithful.
I would disagree. Are you placing your confidence in religion or Jesus Christ, to which He saved you to the uttermost? Read 1 John 5:9-14.

2 Cor 1:21:22 Now it is God who makes both us and you stand firm in Christ. He anointed us, 22set his seal of ownership on us, and put his Spirit in our hearts as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come.

2 Cor 5:5 Now the one who has fashioned us for this very purpose is God, who has given us the Spirit as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come.

Eph 1:13-14 And you also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation. When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, 14who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God’s possession—to the praise of his glory.

2 Tim 2:13 if we are faithless, he remains faithful, for he cannot disown himself.