Why do we need born again

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We are Spiritually dead

we are dead because of our sinfulness. (the wage of sin is death)

God on the mountain Gave Moses ten commands, and we can not even keep these. (although many think they can)

All of this sin separates us from God. Because God is a holy God and he can not relate with sin. This barrier between God and man is called spiritual death

How bad is our situation?

The levitical priesthood,

Only a high priest could enter Gods presence. God would enter the most holy place in the temple. and only once a year could this high priest come to make atonement for everyone's sin for the past year. and only after numerous innocent without blemish animals shed their blood

There was a problem with this though, He could only cover the sins for the past year of the people. The people went out and still sinned, even those who walked with God. So the next year, Every year, the high priest had to again on the day of atonement do the same things, Sacrifice animals and send the scapegoat out into the wilderness where it would die.

The law had two purposes (it had another but that is for Israel).

1. Expose our guilt - Cursed is the one who does not obey every word , It required perfection. this is one way to get to heaven, Never sin a day in your life. even one sin, James said if we stumble in one area. we are guilty,

2. Show us the payment for that guilt - innocent unblemished animals had to die (year after year)

Paul said the law was a tutor to lead us to Christ.

John called Jesus the “lamb of God would would take the sin of the world”

The jews were not ready, they thought because they kept the law they were ok.. They thought doing all of their works of the law (keeping the sabbath, getting circumcised, Keeping all of the ceremonies of the law, not eating certain meats etc etc) so when Jesus came and said they needed saved, they did what most people who think they have worked hard all their lives to please God would do. They got mad and killed him.

God came to remove the sin issue. The leviticus priesthood was insufficient, as it had to go in year after year.. Jesus however, came once and solved the sin issue for all time. No more were animals sacrificed required year after year for future sin, because he died once and sat down by the right hand of God. Being a far superior High priest. Under the order of Melchizedek.

The problem of sin separating us from God is taken away, Paul said he took it away and nailed it to the cross (col 2) .

Jesus said if we look to the cross. That solution (redemption) can apply to us. He will not force it on us, He wants us to take it. But in order to do this we must repent, and trust him.

Once we do this, the sin issue is removed, we who were dead in trespasses and sin are made alive, because the thing that made is dead is redeemed by the blood of the lamb.

This new birth is forever, Jesus calls it eternal life.

Jesus made us right, We can not do it by being baptized, or trying our best to be good (we will never be good enough) or by any other works..

He did the work for us

Ye must be born again, This is not a request, this is a command.

Hope this helps everyone understand why we need born aagian, and what God did so this can be possible.

Reactions: dev553344

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
We are Spiritually dead
Brother, I’m still asking God to help me figure out this dead spirit business.

I thought I had come to Gods truth of that knowledge, I haven’t.

When you say spiritually dead, that means we are dead in our own living human spirit ?....our spirit lives in darkness and sin?

Our own spirit lives..but, it doesn’t live in Christ....it lives in sin?....therefore void of Gods Living word?...our own human spirit is alienated from Gods Living word, his Holy Spirit?

I believe we also all come to understand God’s word very differently....as God speaks his word to us all....in the way that we can understand, if that makes sense?

Some of what you post I don’t understand..yet, that doesn’t mean you aren’t Born Again...do you know what I mean?

Yes,I understand the new nature as we receive that as soon as we become Born Again....of course I didn’t know that straight away...only by the leading of the Holy Spirit throng reading his word, did I come to that heart revelation.

When I was Born Again like the wind...that was all I knew in my spirit/ heart ,that I was Born Again...so, very much a new babe....

Last edited:

JBO

Oct 20, 2023
Prescott, AZ
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus made us right, We can not do it by being baptized, or trying our best to be good (we will never be good enough) or by any other works..
You are right. We cannot do it by being baptized or trying our best to be good enough. However, God has told us that He would do it when we believe, repent and are baptized.

Reactions: dev553344

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
You are right. We cannot do it by being baptized or trying our best to be good enough. However, God has told us that He would do it when we believe, repent and are baptized.
No....Jesus tells us how we become Born Again...please don’t add to Gods word.

A Born Again is Born Again like the wind,,,you cannot see Spirit gives birth to spirit @JBO

That is Gods seed that we receive when we become Born Again....we are Born Again of imperishable seed?

The rebirth is Spirit...it’s not head Knowledge.

As Gods word says.

Flesh gives birth to flesh.

Spirit gives birth to spirit.

Last edited:

JBO

Oct 20, 2023
Prescott, AZ
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No....Jesus tells us how we become Born Again...please don’t add to Gods word.

A Born Again is Born Again like the wind,,,you cannot see Spirit gives birth to spirit @JBO

That is Gods seed that we receive when we become Born Again....we are Born Again of imperishable seed?

The rebirth is Spirit...it’s not head Knowledge.

As Gods word says.

Flesh gives birth to flesh.

Spirit gives birth to spirit.
What do you think it means that you were born again? What is different between what you were before you were born again and after you were born again? Yes Spirit gives birth to spirit. What did the Spirit do to you when He gave birth (again) to your spirit?

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
What do you think it means that you were born again? What is different between what you were before you were born again and after you were born again? Yes Spirit gives birth to spirit. What did the Spirit do to you when He gave birth (again) to your spirit?

Romans 8

King James Version

8 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:
4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.
6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.
8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.
9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.
10 And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.
11 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.
12 Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh.
13 For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.
14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.
15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.
16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:
17 And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.
18 For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.
19 For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God.
20 For the creature was made subject to vanity, not willingly, but by reason of him who hath subjected the same in hope,
21 Because the creature itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God.
22 For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now.
23 And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body.
24 For we are saved by hope: but hope that is seen is not hope: for what a man seeth, why doth he yet hope for?
25 But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it.
26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.
27 And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.
28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.
30 Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.
31 What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?
32 He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?
33 Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth.
34 Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us.
35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?
36 As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.
37 Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.
38 For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,
39 Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

JBO

Oct 20, 2023
Prescott, AZ
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Romans 8​

King James Version​

8 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:
4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.
6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.
8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.
9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.
10 And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.
11 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.
12 Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh.
13 For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.
14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.
15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.
16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:
17 And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.
18 For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.
19 For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God.
20 For the creature was made subject to vanity, not willingly, but by reason of him who hath subjected the same in hope,
21 Because the creature itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God.
22 For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now.
23 And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body.
24 For we are saved by hope: but hope that is seen is not hope: for what a man seeth, why doth he yet hope for?
25 But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it.
26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.
27 And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.
28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.
30 Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.
31 What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?
32 He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?
33 Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth.
34 Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us.
35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?
36 As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.
37 Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.
38 For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,
39 Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
So God just picked you out of all the people on this earth and regenerated you for no apparent reason? I don't think so. In order to believe that you must be the most narcissist person in the whole world.

He should have picked Hitler too. That would have saved millions from untold misery and terrible deaths.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
So God just picked you out of all the people on this earth and regenerated you for no apparent reason? I don't think so. In order to believe that you must be the most narcissist person in the whole world.

He should have picked Hitler too. That would have saved millions from untold misery and terrible deaths.
I am sorry you feel that way.

I stand on the Living word of God.....and any more questions please ask.

I cannot deny that I have been Born Again of imperishable seed...because it makes you angry @JBO.

I’m a Born Again....I’m here to give God all the glory that he deserves.....I have always called Born Again...my miracle birth from God.....and I’ve been constantly thanking him for it.

JBO

Oct 20, 2023
Prescott, AZ
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am sorry you feel that way.

I stand on the Living word of God.....and any more questions please ask.

I cannot deny that I have been Born Again of imperishable seed...because it makes you angry @JBO.

I’m a Born Again....I’m here to give God all the glory that he deserves.....I have always called Born Again...my miracle birth from God.....and I’ve been constantly thanking him for it.
So it is true. You think God picked you but not Hitler. Interesting. Very interesting. Wrong but interesting.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
So it is true. You think God picked you but not Hitler. Interesting. Very interesting. Wrong but interesting.

Romans 8:7-11​

Romans 8:7-11 KJV​

Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be. So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God. But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his. And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness. But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Brother, I’m still asking God to help me figure out this dead spirit business.

I thought I had come to Gods truth of that knowledge, I haven’t.

When you say spiritually dead, that means we are dead in our own living human spirit ?....our spirit lives in darkness and sin?

Our own spirit lives..but, it doesn’t live in Christ....it lives in sin?....therefore void of Gods Living word?...our own human spirit is alienated from Gods Living word, his Holy Spirit?

I believe we also all come to understand God’s word very differently....as God speaks his word to us all....in the way that we can understand, if that makes sense?

Some of what you post I don’t understand..yet, that doesn’t mean you aren’t Born Again...do you know what I mean?

Yes,I understand the new nature as we receive that as soon as we become Born Again....of course I didn’t know that straight away...only by the leading of the Holy Spirit throng reading his word, did I come to that heart revelation.

When I was Born Again like the wind...that was all I knew in my spirit/ heart ,that I was Born Again...so, very much a new babe....
It means in simple terms that we are separated from God. We are ‘dead” to him. Another term would be we are condemned. The wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is life..

These all speak of spiritual condemnation or death.

remember what the word says, Although our bodies are dead because of sin, our spirit is alive because of righteousness (Not ours, But the righteousness of Christ which was given to us)

• Love
Reactions: Ritajanice

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not baptized in water. If you think that is what baptism you just contradicted yourself.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

she did not say this. Why do you put words in her mouth?

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As Nicodemus said, How can these things be (How can I be born again)

John 3: 10 Jesus answered and said to him, “Are you the teacher of Israel, and do not know these things? 11 Most assuredly, I say to you, We speak what We know and testify what We have seen, and you do not receive Our witness. 12 If I have told you earthly things and you do not believe, how will you believe if I tell you heavenly things? 13 No one has ascended to heaven but He who came down from heaven, that is, the Son of Man who is in heaven.14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up, 15 that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life. 16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.17 For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.

18 “He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Romans 8:7-11​

Romans 8:7-11 KJV​

Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be. So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God. But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his. And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness. But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.
Don’t let him pull your strings, He is trying to call you a calvinist..

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
It means in simple terms that we are separated from God. We are ‘dead” to him. Another term would be we are condemned. The wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is life..

remember what the word says, Although our bodies are dead because of sin, our spirit is alive because of righteousness (Not ours, But the righteousness of Christ which was given to us)
Excellent...understanding...Praise God...thank you Brother.

Reactions: Eternally Grateful

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We are Spiritually dead

we are dead because of our sinfulness. (the wage of sin is death)

God on the mountain Gave Moses ten commands, and we can not even keep these. (although many think they can)

All of this sin separates us from God. Because God is a holy God and he can not relate with sin. This barrier between God and man is called spiritual death

How bad is our situation?

The levitical priesthood,

Only a high priest could enter Gods presence. God would enter the most holy place in the temple. and only once a year could this high priest come to make atonement for everyone's sin for the past year. and only after numerous innocent without blemish animals shed their blood

There was a problem with this though, He could only cover the sins for the past year of the people. The people went out and still sinned, even those who walked with God. So the next year, Every year, the high priest had to again on the day of atonement do the same things, Sacrifice animals and send the scapegoat out into the wilderness where it would die.

The law had two purposes (it had another but that is for Israel).

1. Expose our guilt - Cursed is the one who does not obey every word , It required perfection. this is one way to get to heaven, Never sin a day in your life. even one sin, James said if we stumble in one area. we are guilty,

2. Show us the payment for that guilt - innocent unblemished animals had to die (year after year)

Paul said the law was a tutor to lead us to Christ.

John called Jesus the “lamb of God would would take the sin of the world”

The jews were not ready, they thought because they kept the law they were ok.. They thought doing all of their works of the law (keeping the sabbath, getting circumcised, Keeping all of the ceremonies of the law, not eating certain meats etc etc) so when Jesus came and said they needed saved, they did what most people who think they have worked hard all their lives to please God would do. They got mad and killed him.

God came to remove the sin issue. The leviticus priesthood was insufficient, as it had to go in year after year.. Jesus however, came once and solved the sin issue for all time. No more were animals sacrificed required year after year for future sin, because he died once and sat down by the right hand of God. Being a far superior High priest. Under the order of Melchizedek.

The problem of sin separating us from God is taken away, Paul said he took it away and nailed it to the cross (col 2) .

Jesus said if we look to the cross. That solution (redemption) can apply to us. He will not force it on us, He wants us to take it. But in order to do this we must repent, and trust him.

Once we do this, the sin issue is removed, we who were dead in trespasses and sin are made alive, because the thing that made is dead is redeemed by the blood of the lamb.

This new birth is forever, Jesus calls it eternal life.

He did the work for us

Ye must be born again, This is not a request, this is a command.

Hope this helps everyone understand why we need born aagian, and what God did so this can be possible.

There are, of course, alternative understandings. All this above is, run-of-the-mill generic, evangelical dogma. Orthodoxy.

But you know what they say about orthodoxy. I think it was Einstein-- insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

JBO

Oct 20, 2023
Prescott, AZ
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

But God does not separate us from Him at birth. We separate ourselves from Him when we sin.

• Love
Reactions: L.A.M.B.