Why Do You Go to Church

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So this is for my friends here that have gone to church or currently go to church. Why do you go?

I believe I know the right answer. I go to learn the Word of God and grow closer to God. It is just that I left a church I love after 8 years and been attending a new church for a little over a year. While I am learning and growing it is as if I constantly get hunger for my old home church. I'm not really understanding why that is. And it isn't as if many have really cared to keep in connection with me since I changed churches.

I'm afraid if I went back it would be for the people and not for the Word being preached. I just wish I didn't feel torn about it. It isn't as if my church before didn't preach the Word of God. I just am more charismatic I guess. Like I pray in tongues and they don't believe in tongues as a prayer language. It isn't the only reason. Just seems like visiting never seems to satisfy me. Plus I felt really called to my new church. Like I was driving by there and didn't even know there was a church there and heard "Go to this church." How I started visiting and visited there for about a year off and on before changing over. I don't want to be emotions driven, but Word driven and faith driven. I just miss it there.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And then when you have kids, that is hard too. Wouldn't make much a difference for my one year old, but my daughter, she is four. She would notice the change.

Reactions: marks

GaryAnderson

Aug 10, 2021
Massachusetts
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because church is wonderful. It’s almost like drinking living water.
You hear the word of God, while the choir is singing surrounded by icons and incense and you take communion.
You can pray in peace, you can light a candle and you can talk to priests who have dedicated their lives to God by being missionaries in other countries.

Then when you need a better experience than the church, you visit a monastery which is even higher spiritually than a church.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Besides the obvious......Praise and Worship for the Lord....sing hymns to the Lord.
Listen to a sermon.
Fellowship with Christians.
Work with the youth.
Hear some beautiful voices from the chore.
Church activities...in the church....picnics....Bible camp etc

Beside the Bible tells us that we should assemble.
The early Christians risked their lives to assemble and worship the Lord.
We kind of take it for granted.
Should we like being around Christians?

Find a good church and stand with other Christians and worship the Lord.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm afraid if I went back it would be for the people and not for the Word being preached.

That's actually not as bad as it sounds. If you're in the Word on your own, do you really need somebody preaching at you? (Though they might have something that you need to hear.) But we do need each other. We need the connection of the Body.

One thing I like about church is it provides opportunities for me to serve. I could probably find some on my own, but the church infrastructure is helpful.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's actually not as bad as it sounds. If you're in the Word on your own, do you really need somebody preaching at you? (Though they might have something that you need to hear.) But we do need each other. We need the connection of the Body.

One thing I like about church is it provides opportunities for me to serve. I could probably find some on my own, but the church infrastructure is helpful.

I do good in all of the stuff with serving and worship, stuff like that. I love the ministries we support here, ones I believe are going to places with the most need, we pray for Israel once a month with the pledges to the flags, I sing on worship team and do children's ministry, and starting to help now with the online blog with dictionary of Biblical terms with prayers this new year. I think I'm just more country honestly. LOL. There aren't a lot of kids my kids ages here. There are less family centered activities when at the other church there was always something going on. And when you get relationships for 8 years or so, of course I am not going to just not feel connected right off the bat with people here. I guess I could maybe do some of the activities still they plan at the other church, but then again, we do Resurrection Sunday instead of the Easter side of things now. We have nothing to do with Halloween now. I tell you this new church is the best thing for my family and the hardest thing at the same time.

(And maybe I kinda needed to get my thoughts out on it and ask for prayer, so thanks for bearing with me. LOL).

But y'all echo the right reasons to go to church. It shouldn't just be treated like a country club for sure. And both churches have very loving people and very accepting of everyone. No complaints on any of that.

And I completely agree with you that you don't want to go to church to just be preached at. But you sort of become who you hang around and the type of beliefs and views you hold about the Bible and spoken words. I am noticing a change in my prayer life and everything.

I think also there has just been a lot in the last five years or so. I got married, had two kids, been surviving this crazy pandemic, and in the midst of this all changed churches and started someplace new. I am like "Father, I know I am Your child, but otherwise who am I?" Because I feel so different now. I think it is good, but it sure doesn't feel good. You know the cocoon, it breaks everything down inside to where it is just a mesh of worm. The caterpillar ceases to exist and it becomes something completely new. This is how I feel.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So this is for my friends here that have gone to church or currently go to church. Why do you go?

I believe I know the right answer. I go to learn the Word of God and grow closer to God. It is just that I left a church I love after 8 years and been attending a new church for a little over a year. While I am learning and growing it is as if I constantly get hunger for my old home church. I'm not really understanding why that is. And it isn't as if many have really cared to keep in connection with me since I changed churches.

I'm afraid if I went back it would be for the people and not for the Word being preached. I just wish I didn't feel torn about it. It isn't as if my church before didn't preach the Word of God. I just am more charismatic I guess. Like I pray in tongues and they don't believe in tongues as a prayer language. It isn't the only reason. Just seems like visiting never seems to satisfy me. Plus I felt really called to my new church. Like I was driving by there and didn't even know there was a church there and heard "Go to this church." How I started visiting and visited there for about a year off and on before changing over. I don't want to be emotions driven, but Word driven and faith driven. I just miss it there.

You sound like one of my brothers May, and I think you just gave me an answer for him :) He bounces from one to another. He went to the one I think he really wants to stay at on Sunday and spoke with a man he knows from there, he said to the man that he is not sure WHERE he wants to hand his hat...so the man say's to him "Some things never change (bro's name) you have been church hopping for over 20 years! That did convict/hurt my brother. But, I would say the man was correct.

He likes the one for the praise and worship (I miss it at that church too, but that is ALL I miss from there) But he knows more people at the other one. Ya can't have it all!! lol. All I know is that my brother loves the Lord and that is just fine IMHO...at least he goes.

So, WHEN he brings it up again cause, he will...I'm going to ask him what you asked yourself sister:" Are you going for the people or the Word being preached"

YET...there is something very important as well here, we NEED fellowship, brothers and sisters who will be there for one another in times of need.
xo

Reactions: Mayflower

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You sound like one of my brothers May, and I think you just gave me an answer for him :) He bounces from one to another. He went to the one I think he really wants to stay at on Sunday and spoke with a man he knows from there, he said to the man that he is not sure WHERE he wants to hand his hat...so the man say's to him "Some things never change (bro's name) you have been church hopping for over 20 years! That did convict/hurt my brother. But, I would say the man was correct.

He likes the one for the praise and worship (I miss it at that church too, but that is ALL I miss from there) But he knows more people at the other one. Ya can't have it all!! lol. All I know is that my brother loves the Lord and that is just fine IMHO...at least he goes.

So, WHEN he brings it up again cause, he will...I'm going to ask him what you asked yourself sister:" Are you going for the people or the Word being preached"

YET...there is something very important as well here, we NEED fellowship, brothers and sisters who will be there for one another in times of need.
xo

Thanks, sister. That is encouraging. I wouldn't consider myself too much of a church hopper. Only times I've changed churches was when I moved. And I tell you most the churches I've gone too were like my last one. I think it is just what I am used too. But I do go for the Word of God, and I'll eventually have connections too. But it is important to not go by emotions. I would say I've had a better job in this area since attending a Word of Faith, non denominational church.

Reactions: Nancy

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

xo
You know me my dear sister . My question would be , What is that church teaching . That is where i hang my hat .
I would find out all i could about that church sister , for the sake of your brother . Make sure its a good bible based church .

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

xo
I bounced around many a church . But it was because they didnt teach bible . I cant sit in a church that aint truth based .
And if the leaders dont have it , ITS DOOMED .

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You know me my dear sister . My question would be , What is that church teaching . That is where i hang my hat .
I would find out all i could about that church sister , for the sake of your brother . Make sure its a good bible based church .

Yes brother, my brother and I are well aware of that. We do NOT sit under false teaching, ever.

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Hi Mayflower,

There is a saying that hindsight is infallible. To that I add "but there will be no infallible church until the Lord returns."

Eph 5:25-27 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself for her, (26) that He might sanctify and cleanse her with the washing of water by the word, (27) that He might present her to Himself a glorious church, not having spot or wrinkle or any such thing, but that she should be holy and without blemish.

Currently in NZ many churches are not physically meeting due to Covid19 and laws requiring vaccination passes to be shown at some venues where people gather. The logistics of complying are a bit complicated when congregations are divided on the issue so services are presented by small teams streaming online.

Of course, as you know, the church is the people not the building or the legal incorporation it may identify as.

As a church treasurer and administrator I had to deal with a disgusting and disturbing amount of secular business to keep the property, finances, and fellowship functioning.

Now I am serving the Lord by resting . . . :)

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Mayflower,

There is a saying that hindsight is infallible. To that I add "but there will be no infallible church until the Lord returns."

Eph 5:25-27 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself for her, (26) that He might sanctify and cleanse her with the washing of water by the word, (27) that He might present her to Himself a glorious church, not having spot or wrinkle or any such thing, but that she should be holy and without blemish.

Currently in NZ many churches are not physically meeting due to Covid19 and laws requiring vaccination passes to be shown at some venues where people gather. The logistics of complying are a bit complicated when congregations are divided on the issue so services are presented by small teams streaming online.

Of course, as you know, the church is the people not the building or the legal incorporation it may identify as.

As a church treasurer and administrator I had to deal with a disgusting and disturbing amount of secular business to keep the property, finances, and fellowship functioning.

Now I am serving the Lord by resting . . . :)

It is super sad churches are closing in these times when the church is what people need the most. Some are still just opening back in the area.

Reactions: Lambano

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

You might just be missing the familiarity.

I am generally disappointed with every church I have ever been to...but also happy to go and be there. Because even a little of what I want, is better than nothing-- which is not to say that alone with God would be nothing, not at all. But rather that we are better together as a group. It's kinda like some people, they have their baggage and shortcomings (so do I), but then I would miss the part that is good...which of course is God in them. So I go.

What I am disappointed by, is my relationship with God [alone] has been fantastic and exciting, while most churches put me to sleep..because they are asleep. Yawning is catching! I mean, the church began in the most scary and exciding times the world has ever known...and now this?? Programs, and feel good [yawn] lectures (most shouldn't even be called sermons) of how to get along in this world. Self-help stuff [yawn]. Oh, and the "application" sermons are the worst. Even the charismatic churches, even the hum can put one to sleep. I hope some preachers and pastors are listening!

What happened to "press on" "toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus?"

So, the only motivation, the only thing that keeps me going (to church), is that still small voice of God that gets in a whisper now and then. But its rare :(

Last edited:
Reactions: Taken and Mayflower

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I go to church because it's more fun to go than to not go. I serve the church in several ways, which makes me feel important. I also get to perform musically, which I enjoy.

Lifelong_sinner

Sep 21, 2021
Somewhere in time
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I go because my pastor is amazing!! I can honestly say every Sunday that i go, i come out of church knowing more than when i went in. But i usually feel bad when i go, because i dont take communion, and i struggle with my terrible thoughts even at church. I’m also not the most outgoing person, and i sit with one of the elders and his wife and they’re like really outgoing and friendly and i’m just trying to blend in with the other pew sitters.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am generally disappointed with every church I have ever been to...but also happy to go and be there.

... while most churches put me to sleep..because they are asleep. Yawning is catching!
... Programs, and feel good [yawn] lectures (most shouldn't even be called sermons) of how to get along in this world.
...Self-help stuff [yawn]. Oh, and the "application" sermons are the worst.

...Adding;
The gossiping.
The fashion show.
The texting.
The entertainment.
The business deals.
The lunch plans.
The oooh’s ahhh’s, “I” feel good about “myself”!

Where is CHRIST JESUS in all of that?
UGH!

Reactions: ScottA

Rollo Tamasi

Aug 28, 2017
Inverness, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
...Adding;
The gossiping.
The fashion show.
The texting.
The entertainment.
The business deals.
The lunch plans.
The oooh’s ahhh’s, “I” feel good about “myself”!

Where is CHRIST JESUS in all of that?
UGH!
That all sounds very judgmental.
I don't think you'd like my church.

“am blessed. I am prosperous. I am successful.” “I am victorious. I am talented. I am creative.” “I am wise. I am healthy. I am in shape.” “I am energetic. I am happy. I am positive.” “I am passionate. I am strong. I am confident.” “I am secure. I am beautiful. I am attractive.” “I am valuable. I am free. I am redeemed.” “I am forgiven. I am anointed. I am accepted.” “I am approved. I am prepared. I am qualified.” “I am motivated. I am focused. I am disciplined.” “I am determined. I am patient. I am kind.” “I am generous. I am excellent. I am equipped.” “I am empowered. I am well able.” “I am a child of the Most High God.”

Lakewood Church.

Reactions: Nancy

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
That all sounds very judgmental.
I don't think you'd like my church.

“am blessed. I am prosperous. I am successful.” “I am victorious. I am talented. I am creative.” “I am wise. I am healthy. I am in shape.” “I am energetic. I am happy. I am positive.” “I am passionate. I am strong. I am confident.” “I am secure. I am beautiful. I am attractive.” “I am valuable. I am free. I am redeemed.” “I am forgiven. I am anointed. I am accepted.” “I am approved. I am prepared. I am qualified.” “I am motivated. I am focused. I am disciplined.” “I am determined. I am patient. I am kind.” “I am generous. I am excellent. I am equipped.” “I am empowered. I am well able.” “I am a child of the Most High God.”

Lakewood Church.
And yet you display an immodest avatar . . .