Why do you want Freedom of Religion?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

afaithfulone4u

Dec 7, 2012
California
Raeneske said:
Churches have government 501c3 tax exempt status, making them official government agencies. The government wont shut you down unless you're preaching against what they tell you you can preach. So, while the people are in the pews listening to their pastors, the government is telling your pastor what he can and cannot say, and shutting away the light you need to hear, and the news you need to hear.
All government is ordained of God rather it is corrupted by ungodly people or not. Government is set up by God to keep the peace, yet...Those who are of the kingdom of God being minister's of God's Word as the work for Him and not under fleshly man are tax exempt per God's Word.

Matt 17:24-27
24 And when they were come to Capernaum, they that received tribute money came to Peter, and said, Doth not your master pay tribute?
25 He saith, Yes. And when he was come into the house, Jesus prevented him, saying, What thinkest thou, Simon? of whom do the kings of the earth take custom or tribute? of their own children, or of strangers?
26 Peter saith unto him, Of strangers. Jesus saith unto him, Then are the children free.
27 Notwithstanding, lest we should offend them, go thou to the sea, and cast an hook, and take up the fish that first cometh up; and when thou hast opened his mouth, thou shalt find a piece of money: that take, and give unto them for me and thee.
KJV

I don't know anything about them not being able to teach against certain topics for I know of many who do not submit to politically correctness, but teach the Word in BOLDNESS!
The problem with the government is that they have drifted far from God's Word even taking the Bible out of the courtrooms for fear of offending NO god religions America the BEAUTIFUL(NOT) has fornicated with.... who are anti-Christ.
God winked at these idolatrous religions in the past, but soon will no more for there is One God the Father and One Lord Jesus the Christ being the living Word.
1 Cor 8:4-6
4 As concerning therefore the eating of those things that are offered in sacrifice unto idols, we know that an idol is nothing in the world, and that there is none other God but one.
5 For though there be that are called gods, whether in heaven or in earth, (as there be gods many, and lords many,)
6 But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.
KJV

More concerning are those who claim to be of the One true God yet will sit in the presence with other religious leaders who are not Christian and partake of prayer with them and THEIR no gODS as if The Creator would be pleased or even lift a finger to answer these who are clearly in UNBELIEF or they would not participate with idols worshippers as IF.

Polt

Feb 5, 2013
Raeneske said:
Churches have government 501c3 tax exempt status, making them official government agencies. The government wont shut you down unless you're preaching against what they tell you you can preach. So, while the people are in the pews listening to their pastors, the government is telling your pastor what he can and cannot say, and shutting away the light you need to hear, and the news you need to hear.
No, churches are not government agencies. 501c3 is the IRS classification that recognizes churches as non-profit organizations and therefore are exempt from filing tax returns (because they have no profits to be taxed). The only speech limitation churches face is taking sides in elections. Most churches are perfectly happy to censor themselves.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Being religious is a very pervasive thing. In a corporate sense, it only takes a small amount of time for something to become a tradition in a Church. That tradition soon becomes a "modus operandi. " Matthew 15:3-7 I believe Jesus was speaking directly to the religious leaders of the day, when he said:

Matthew 15:7-9
7 Hypocrites! Well did Isaiah prophesy about you, saying:

8 ‘These people draw near to Me with their mouth,
Andhonor Me with their lips,
But their heart is far from Me.
9 And in vain they worship Me,
Teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.’ ”

Shalom!

soupy

May 20, 2012
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Still comes back to the fact the OP was in jail. He does not (never had) a right to leave his cell to attend a church service or the right to have a Bible (or any book) all the time. Mental inmates have less priviledges than the general population, it is not descrimination, it is safety for everyone including the inmate.
This is just the fact of incarceration, he is making it about his "rights", this is his problem, as too many inmates get hung up on their own "rights", forgetting their own personal responsibility.

JB_Reformed Baptist

Many are called but few are chosen.
Feb 23, 2013
AUSTRALIA
soupy said:
Still comes back to the fact the OP was in jail. He does not (never had) a right to leave his cell to attend a church service or the right to have a Bible (or any book) all the time. Mental inmates have less priviledges than the general population, it is not descrimination, it is safety for everyone including the inmate.
This is just the fact of incarceration, he is making it about his "rights", this is his problem, as too many inmates get hung up on their own "rights", forgetting their own personal responsibility.
soupy said:

Yeah, not like people such as you and me and every other b#st#rd that takes it for granted. {sarcasm off}

soupy

May 20, 2012
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
JB_Reformed Baptist said:
Yeah, not like people such as you and me and every other b#st#rd that takes it for granted. {sarcasm off}
I wonder were your having a bad day, seems you are angry at many posts?

Please explain the point of your response to my post.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
We don't need freedom of religion. Freedom in Christ is enough!

theophilus

Nov 13, 2012
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Episkopos said:
We don't need freedom of religion. Freedom in Christ is enough!
It may be enough as far as our personal welfate is concerned but we have a responsibility to tell others the gospel so they can share our freedom in Christ. Having freedom of religion makes this task easier for us just as being a Roman citizen made it easier for Paul.

Reactions: Angelina

Raeneske

Sep 18, 2012
afaithfulone4u said:
All government is ordained of God rather it is corrupted by ungodly people or not. Government is set up by God to keep the peace, yet...Those who are of the kingdom of God being minister's of God's Word as the work for Him and not under fleshly man are tax exempt per God's Word.

Matt 17:24-27
24 And when they were come to Capernaum, they that received tribute money came to Peter, and said, Doth not your master pay tribute?
25 He saith, Yes. And when he was come into the house, Jesus prevented him, saying, What thinkest thou, Simon? of whom do the kings of the earth take custom or tribute? of their own children, or of strangers?
26 Peter saith unto him, Of strangers. Jesus saith unto him, Then are the children free.
27 Notwithstanding, lest we should offend them, go thou to the sea, and cast an hook, and take up the fish that first cometh up; and when thou hast opened his mouth, thou shalt find a piece of money: that take, and give unto them for me and thee.
KJV

I don't know anything about them not being able to teach against certain topics for I know of many who do not submit to politically correctness, but teach the Word in BOLDNESS!
The problem with the government is that they have drifted far from God's Word even taking the Bible out of the courtrooms for fear of offending NO god religions America the BEAUTIFUL(NOT) has fornicated with.... who are anti-Christ.
God winked at these idolatrous religions in the past, but soon will no more for there is One God the Father and One Lord Jesus the Christ being the living Word.
1 Cor 8:4-6
4 As concerning therefore the eating of those things that are offered in sacrifice unto idols, we know that an idol is nothing in the world, and that there is none other God but one.
5 For though there be that are called gods, whether in heaven or in earth, (as there be gods many, and lords many,)
6 But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.
KJV

More concerning are those who claim to be of the One true God yet will sit in the presence with other religious leaders who are not Christian and partake of prayer with them and THEIR no gODS as if The Creator would be pleased or even lift a finger to answer these who are clearly in UNBELIEF or they would not participate with idols worshippers as IF.
I won't deny any boldness. What I will deny, is preaching of prophetic truths, and being shut up so that they cannot make certain political statements about certain somebodies without getting themselves in trouble. This proves a problem if you're trying to teach real prophecy.

Polt said:
No, churches are not government agencies. 501c3 is the IRS classification that recognizes churches as non-profit organizations and therefore are exempt from filing tax returns (because they have no profits to be taxed). The only speech limitation churches face is taking sides in elections. Most churches are perfectly happy to censor themselves.
They cannot speak of political leaders. If they are found to be doing so, they will be warned and get fined if they continue to do so. It shuts up prophetic truths coming from the pulpit.

Surf Rider

Dec 17, 2009
in the kingdom of heaven right now
Freedom of religion is a great misnomer. God says that we must worship him in spirit and in truth. That's an inner thing, a thing of the mind and soul. Nobody can place any physical constraints on that. Therefore, the gov't or anyone cannot give me freedom of religion, or take it away, or constrain it in any way. My worship is in my mind and soul. I serve him with the body, as the scriptures also state. This thread/topic seems somewhat misguided to me, as it is a non-existent issue for those who actually worship God scripturally.

Reactions: Angelina

[email protected]

Choir Loft
Apr 2, 2009
West Central Florida
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
pmb said:
Due terrible events in my life (i.e. being arrested as a result of my chronic pain twisting my mind until I said something dumb which caused them to arrest me). During part of this time I wasn't allowed to read the Bible, perhaps for a week as I recall and I was not allowed to go to services for the time I was in jail. This made me think alot about this so-called Freedom of Religin notion that we have in the US. I have many questions on this point:

1) Why do you want Freedom of Religion?
2) Exactly what does that mean to you?
3) If you're an American do you believe that you have the right to worship according to your beliefs? Why do you believe that?
4) How long do you believe that it's okay to have that stripped from you? What does it mean to have that right stripped from you?

These questions are quite far from being abstract. It's a very real life situation.

Thanks,

Pete
Freedom of Religion goes to the core of what a man is, what he is a part of, and how he will act in society.

If a man is born again, then he is a part of God and as such has a divine right to access those rituals and holy books which are necessary for his edification and growth.

It determines how he will act in society. Will he obey God's laws or man's laws? Is it ok to kill innocent children for the sake of convenience? It is if society says it is. It isn't according to God's law. The list goes on, but my point is that if a man is to be an effective contributor to society he must also be free to express his religion in it.

and that's just me, hollering from the choir loft...

dragonfly

Apr 19, 2012
UK
Hi rjp,

The list goes on, but my point is that if a man is to be an effective contributor to society he must also be free to express his religion in it.
I haven't read the whole thread, so someone may have suggested this already.

Isn't 'society' saying, 'it is okay to ... for the sake of convenience', the expression of the majority religion of society, namely idolatry, and while arguing for the man of God to express his religion, you are unavoidably by that token, also arguing for the ungodly man to express his religion?

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i am grateful to be able to practice my religion without being prosecuted by the state.