Why does darkness not comprehend the light?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And repenting is part of what he says (Matthew 4:17).

The key in repentance is wanting to be like Christ, not just have him take you to heaven. We can't just sin, repent, and sin again. That won't take you to heaven. We need the infilling of the Holy Spirit to never commit a major sin again and gradually become like Christ 2 Peter 1:5-7. Those are sins unto death. Trespasses unwittingly committed are sins not unto death.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.”
‭‭John‬ ‭1‬:‭5‬ ‭KJV‬‬
John 1:5 And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not. | King James Version (KJV) | Download The Bible App Now

Jesus explained it well Matt:
(Matthew 13:11-15) . . .“To you it is granted to understand the sacred secrets of the Kingdom of the heavens, but to them it is not granted. 12 For whoever has, more will be given him, and he will be made to abound; but whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken from him. 13 That is why I speak to them by the use of illustrations; for looking, they look in vain, and hearing, they hear in vain, nor do they get the sense of it. 14 And the prophecy of Isaiah is being fulfilled in their case. It says: ‘You will indeed hear but by no means get the sense of it, and you will indeed look but by no means see. 15 For the heart of this people has grown unreceptive, and with their ears they have heard without response, and they have shut their eyes, so that they might never see with their eyes and hear with their ears and get the sense of it with their hearts and turn back and I heal them.’

If a person truly wants it, it will be given to them. Sadly, most people don't. Makes no sense to me, but that is the unfortunate truth of the matter sir.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Repent,

means to turn from a direction you was once heading right? @Bob Estey or is it die thing more? The sins of our flesh can only be held by spiritually by the strength of Christ in us. Turn from our sins (turn from hating your neighbor, turn from not forgiving someone), would you agree?

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Repent,

means to turn from a direction you was once heading right? @Bob Estey or is it die thing more? The sins of our flesh can only be held by spiritually by the strength of Christ in us. Turn from our sins (turn from hating your neighbor, turn from not forgiving someone), would you agree?
I do believe that "repent" means to stop sinning.

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do believe that "repent" means to stop sinning.

Repent means to turn from your own previous ways right?

No one will ever fully stop sinning but they can turn from the sins they commit though they are bound to fail again eventually, and it is the reason why we need Christ,

To live by the spirit of Christ within you?

You know the Bible don’t you friend?

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The beginning of wisdom and knowledge is the fear of the Lord. Jesus is LORD and the LIGHT. So those in darkness do not have wisdom (or comprehension).

Sounds like a personal choice but what does fear mean? To be frightened of the LORD?

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus explained it well Matt:
(Matthew 13:11-15) . . .“To you it is granted to understand the sacred secrets of the Kingdom of the heavens, but to them it is not granted. 12 For whoever has, more will be given him, and he will be made to abound; but whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken from him. 13 That is why I speak to them by the use of illustrations; for looking, they look in vain, and hearing, they hear in vain, nor do they get the sense of it. 14 And the prophecy of Isaiah is being fulfilled in their case. It says: ‘You will indeed hear but by no means get the sense of it, and you will indeed look but by no means see. 15 For the heart of this people has grown unreceptive, and with their ears they have heard without response, and they have shut their eyes, so that they might never see with their eyes and hear with their ears and get the sense of it with their hearts and turn back and I heal them.’

If a person truly wants it, it will be given to them. Sadly, most people don't. Makes no sense to me, but that is the unfortunate truth of the matter sir.

Sounds like a very personal choice? Robert thank you.

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sounds like a personal choice but what does fear mean? To be frightened of the LORD?
It means to take Him seriously and yes to fear the consequences if you don't. He created us, has the power to guve life and take it away, notbjust physical life but eternal life.
Atheists think when you die, that's it, there is nothing. Hindus think they just reincarnate for better or worse. So when they realize there is a God who can judge them or grant them life, and that there is one life, one death and then the judgment, they get that fear in them to abide or else.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Repent means to turn from your own previous ways right?

No one will ever fully stop sinning but they can turn from the sins they commit though they are bound to fail again eventually, and it is the reason why we need Christ,

To live by the spirit of Christ within you?

You know the Bible don’t you friend?
Technically "repent" might mean to turn from something, but in the biblical sense, I think it means to stop sinning. What else would it mean? And where did you get the idea we never stop sinning? The Lord told us we need to be perfect (Matthew 5:48). Yes, I've read the Bible cover to cover more than once.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Technically "repent" might mean to turn from something, but in the biblical sense, I think it means to stop sinning. What else would it mean? And where did you get the idea we never stop sinning? The Lord told us we need to be perfect (Matthew 5:48). Yes, I've read the Bible cover to cover more than once.

Are you part of a purist group or something ?

Reading the Bible doesn’t mean anything, you read it that is cool.

do you wanna think or know?

There are some things I think on and some things I wanna know about.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It means to take Him seriously and yes to fear the consequences if you don't. He created us, has the power to guve life and take it away, notbjust physical life but eternal life.
Atheists think when you die, that's it, there is nothing. Hindus think they just reincarnate for better or worse. So when they realize there is a God who can judge them or grant them life, and that there is one life, one death and then the judgment, they get that fear in them to abide or else.

thank you Ronald; gives me something to think about.

Reactions: Ronald David Bruno

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

You sound like you are against purity. Don't you want to be like Jesus and go to heaven? If anyone was a purist, He was. He even said Be perfect as my Father in heaven is perfect. And Peter said of Him in 1 Peter 1:16, "be holy for I am holy." If you really want to know something true, KNOW THAT!

1 John 3:1-3
Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us, that we should be called children of God! Therefore the world does not know us, because it did not know Him. 2 Beloved, now we are children of God; and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be, but we know that when He is revealed, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is. 3 And everyone who has this hope in Him purifies himself, just as He is pure.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You sound like you are against purity. Don't you want to be like Jesus and go to heaven? If anyone was a purist, He was. He even said Be perfect as my Father in heaven is perfect. And Peter said of Him in 1 Peter 1:16, "be holy for I am holy." If you really want to know something true, KNOW THAT!

1 John 3:1-3
Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us, that we should be called children of God! Therefore the world does not know us, because it did not know Him. 2 Beloved, now we are children of God; and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be, but we know that when He is revealed, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is. 3 And everyone who has this hope in Him purifies himself, just as He is pure.

Some people can be prettty blind to realize that anything you do that pure is by allowing the spirit to move you to do the will of God which really it’s all by Gods grace that anyone is made to be seen as right with God by faith.

That’s my thought on your comment.

“Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ: by whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God. And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience; and hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭5‬:‭1‬-‭3‬, ‭5‬ ‭KJV‬‬
Romans 5:1-5 Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ: by whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God | King James Version (KJV) | Download The Bible App Now

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Reading the Bible doesn’t mean anything, you read it that is cool.

do you wanna think or know?

There are some things I think on and some things I wanna know about.
Well, you asked if I'd read the Bible, so I answered your question.

Are you ridiculing me because I think we don't have to sin?

You're right about one thing: It isn't good enough just to read the Bible. You also have to obey what God says in the Bible.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, you asked if I'd read the Bible, so I answered your question.

Are you ridiculing me because I think we don't have to sin?

You're right about one thing: It isn't good enough just to read the Bible. You also have to obey what God says in the Bible.

Just asking questions. Thanks for taking time to answer.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My apologies if I sound mean or harsh to anyone here on this board.

That is not my intentions.

Though through-out the Bible, sin is a problem which separates man from God, though learning the story you realize that Jesus paid for your sin.

That sin - which is caused by the darkness that lives with-in us, and in the world works on our mind and heart of how a person may react to situations. An Example, when a Mother tells her son to do something, and the son disregards what the mother states then is punished for it later. Our punishment comes from our own choices that lead us to wherever a person may end up.

If you do a crime, you go to prison, is another example.

Sin - is missing the Mark, and all of us have done that and the reason a person needs Jesus whom is light of all men, and wisdom for us to learn from him which a person is feeding off the faithfulness of God, and it in turn makes them faithful towards God to carry out his will in ones life, but the credit always goes to God.

It is why prayer is a important part of the relationship established first with God - knowing that even though a person falls short and proclaim those short callings towards the LORD - a person can understand that they have been forgiven, and the LORD loves to hear our honesty.

For me, I can still be very harsh and mean it is my flesh and not the spirit.

The Spirit is very different than the spirit and while you may try to strive to not sin - you will - eventually because as human beings, people are not born like the Lord Jesus Christ was, but they are born again from their natural proclivities - shifting to the spiritual proclivities which is lives out by faith and the spirit.

Psalm :
NKJV
Trust in the Lord, and do good; Dwell in the land, and feed on His faithfulness.

Last edited: