Why does God give people over to a reprobate mind?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The adjective translated "Reprobate" in the KJV ("Depraved" in the NASB20) is ἀδόκιμον, "adokimon", which means "unfit; failing the test". Paul is making a play on the word ἐδοκίμασαν "edokimasan" in the first part of the sentence, which could be translated as

"Just as the did not see fit to have knowledge of God, God turned them over to an unfit mind to do things that are not proper".

I love a good pun, even in Koine Greek.

Thank you for sharing.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Guys, in your obsession with gay sex, you're missing Paul's point.

Paul's Roman audience is a mix of Gentile Christians and Jewish Christians, Rome being a pretty cosmopolitan city. Chapter 1 is addressed to the Gentile Christians; Chapter 2 and the first part of Chapter 3 are addressed to the Jewish Christians. I can elaborate on that if it's not obvious.

Romans 1:18-28 makes it absolutely clear that Paul considers the big problem in the Gentile world (which is basically the whole non-Jewish world) is idolatry and not acknowledging God as God. Verses 18-23, 25, and 28 should make that obvious. The unfit minds, the darkened hearts is God's punishment for our ignoring Him and worshiping idols. That's the "why" of it.

All that other stuff that Paul mentions in Romans 1:24-31, our sexual perversions, our greed, our evil inventiveness, our envy, our slander, our murders, our strife, our insolence, our arrogance and pride, our rebelliousness, our untrustworthiness and lack of compassion and mercy, all that stuff are secondary effects of our depraved minds, not the other way around.

And knowing God doesn't just make that stuff go away, as Paul will make clear to his Jewish-Christian audience (who did know God and God's ways) in chapters 2 and 3. There is none righteous; no, not one.

Last edited:
Reactions: atpollard

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The verse said they were given up for having a depraved sexuality..

"Men burning with men".

"burning". "with men".... "men wanting men". "sexually".

There is a Queen James Bible, that was written by Homosexuals, and ive not read it, but im sure that all those verses have been "remodeled", as they would conclude that Paul and those verse are "hate speech".

Its interesting to note that God isn't "politically correct'.
And dont look for it.

There is even the problems of hating your neighbor. I’m not saying the gay life style doesn’t have its consequences.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
People harp on the gays when there is much more to the fleshly nature than they realize I suppose….

Thank God, he sent his Word who had rectified sin.

That doesn’t mean that sin doesn’t affect the body is some way as it is going to the grave …

People will pick on the gays as the worst out of them all cause people categorize sin…

God deems all sin the same; no one is better than the next.

It’s belief or having faith and feeding off the faithfulness of God by belief that is the problem which helps with the flesh nature though no one is perfect nor ever will be they can ask God to help them do his will…

Even if they happen to be Gay but people will be look at that as gross just for having the belief that God can save

all people through the bloodshed of Christ- which freely warrants them to have their own choice of how they will live between themselves and God with Jesus as their meditator.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes people seem to miss that point @Lambano…

As long as they aren’t Gay they are fine…

Lol missing all the other problems just as you said.

Reactions: Lambano

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The problem Paul is mentioning have nothing to do with Christians. If anyone do live the way Paul is saying in that passage is not a real Christian ... Paul is contrasting the life of those "who hold the truth in unrighteousness" (verse 18-KJV) or "hinder the truth in unrighteousness" (NASV) with the ones he mentioned in verse 7,8 etc.

The gay lifestyle is just one of the consequences of substituting human ideas for God's truth. Paul also mentions not believing in the existence of God even when everything indicates that He does exist, or worshiping creatures instead of the Creator, or the aggressive behavior of people who do not allow themselves to be guided by the spirit of God but follow their own impulses .

All of these are reprobate behaviors that arise from rejecting divine principles and truth. This is the meaning of Paul's passage as far as I can understand it.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The problem Paul is mentioning have nothing to do with Christians. If anyone do live the way Paul is saying in that passage is not a real Christian ... Paul is contrasting the life of those "who hold the truth in unrighteousness" (verse 18-KJV) or "hinder the truth in unrighteousness" (NASV) with the ones he mentioned in verse 7,8 etc.

The gay lifestyle is just one of the consequences of substituting human ideas for God's truth. Paul also mentions not believing in the existence of God even when everything indicates that He does exist, or worshiping creatures instead of the Creator, or the aggressive behavior of people who do not allow themselves to be guided by the spirit of God but follow their own impulses .

All of these are reprobate behaviors that arise from rejecting divine principles and truth. This is the meaning of Paul's passage as far as I can understand it.

It’s amazing the grace of Gods grace, and what he has done for the world.

While some people may reject him, he still desires for them to come to the truth.

1 Timothy 2:1-4

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

There are lots who are incontinent; are we going to sit in a different pew?

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Anyone else like to share?
All the reasons are already spelled out in Romans chapter 1.

1. Since God has revealed Himself to mankind through His marvelous creation, all men are without excuse (vv19 & 20).

2. In spite of that men did not glorify God ( v 21)

3. Because of that they were not thankful to God ( v 21)

4. As a result they became vain in their imaginations ( v 21)

5. This caused their foolish hearts to be darkened (v 21)

6. Professing themselves to be wise they became fools (v 22)

7. Thus they made God's creatures into their gods -- humans, birds, beasts, and reptiles were worshipped instead of God (v 22)

8. Therefore God gave them up to uncleanness and vile affections -- sexual perversions (LBGTQ) (vv 24-27)

9. AS A RESULT GOD GAVE THEM UP TO A REPROBATE MIND (WICKEDNESS) (VV 28-32)

As one can see, there is a logical progression towards becoming thoroughly wicked. This happened before the Flood, and it is now happening once again before the fiery judgments of God.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All the reasons are already spelled out in Romans chapter 1.

1. Since God has revealed Himself to mankind through His marvelous creation, all men are without excuse (vv19 & 20).

2. In spite of that men did not glorify God ( v 21)

3. Because of that they were not thankful to God ( v 21)

4. As a result they became vain in their imaginations ( v 21)

5. This caused their foolish hearts to be darkened (v 21)

6. Professing themselves to be wise they became fools (v 22)

7. Thus they made God's creatures into their gods -- humans, birds, beasts, and reptiles were worshipped instead of God (v 22)

8. Therefore God gave them up to uncleanness and vile affections -- sexual perversions (LBGTQ) (vv 24-27)

9. AS A RESULT GOD GAVE THEM UP TO A REPROBATE MIND (WICKEDNESS) (VV 28-32)

As one can see, there is a logical progression towards becoming thoroughly wicked. This happened before the Flood, and it is now happening once again before the fiery judgments of God.

Praise God he gives us the choice! Thank you for commenting.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
you see Matthew, in pulling this card, as you have done with me before, you stifle further discussion!

It’s alright! Sometimes there is no need for discussion. You have already made up your own mind on what it is you see about the scriptures shared, in the first post.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
It’s alright! Sometimes there is no need for discussion. You have already made up your own mind on what it is you see about the scriptures shared, in the first post.
and you haven't?

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The more I see of people, I am reminded of G.K. Chesterton's quote:

The doctrine of Depravity is the one Christian dogma that is empirically verifiable.

Ah yes, Depravity. Clark, that's the gift that keeps on giving.

But, this turning over to a reprobate mind is something God does to THOSE people, the worst of the worst. Paul can't possibly be talking about me and my mind, could he?

32 For God has shut up all in disobedience, so that He may show mercy to all. (Romans 11:32)

Last edited:

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The more I see of people, I am reminded of G.K. Chesterton's quote:

The doctrine of Depravity is the one Christian dogma that is empirically verifiable.

Ah yes, Depravity. Clark, that's the gift that keeps on giving.

But, this turning over to a reprobate mind is something God does to THOSE people, the worst of the worst. Paul can't possibly be talking about me and my mind, could he?

32 For God has shut up all in disobedience, so that He may show mercy to all. (Romans 11:32)

Thank God we aren’t totally depraved that we could never hear the good and great news about the Lord!

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Reactions: Scott Downey